Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
the libs are flanking starmer from the left

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1265560146400419847

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I've ever necessarily thought about the scientific management of society as anything other than a techbro/radical liberal thing, which I would place firmly as market fetishism with app development characteristics. Probably some sort of neo malthusian ideas in there too.

Like I say the reason I skew that way is just because there are obvious problems with authoritarian structures of governance and they're pretty similar regardless of what colour the flag is. Anarchists seem to grok that and seem intuitively alright sorts.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

XMNN posted:

also it's literally like 3 or 4 days until we are supposed to have a world-eating contact tracing system in place, and I'm pretty sure we don't have one at all yet?

I think we're also meant to hit 200,000 tests per day by 1st June as well... I think we're only just over the 100k mark so far. The fudging they'll have to do to hit the new target will be magnificent.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The tories will always tory, so the lib dems seem content to occupy whatever space on the left-to-centre Labour doesn't. In their messaging at least... noone who vacillates that much and that openly has any conviction behind it they're just plainly trying to carve out a niche to soak up a few votes from. And you can bet if they ever by some miracle got in they'd retreat to maintaining the status quo whatever it was. They're not doers, they're a debate club.

Edit: Disgraceful that they are able to even consider doing this. gently caress's sake, Starmer

The Perfect Element posted:

I think we're also meant to hit 200,000 tests per day by 1st June as well... I think we're only just over the 100k mark so far. The fudging they'll have to do to hit the new target will be magnificent.

One end of the swab up the left nostril, one up the right nostril = 2 tests :v:

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I've ever necessarily thought about the scientific management of society as anything other than a techbro/radical liberal thing, which I would place firmly as market fetishism with app development characteristics. Probably some sort of neo malthusian ideas in there too.

Like I say the reason I skew that way is just because there are obvious problems with authoritarian structures of governance and they're pretty similar regardless of what colour the flag is. Anarchists seem to grok that and seem intuitively alright sorts.
Like 90% of everything else that techbro libertarians say and do, including the word libertarian, it's stolen from people who borrowed it from anarchists.

The idea of running a society the right way that produces the best results by thinking about poo poo was at one point an inherently radical idea compared to running a society because God said one guy gets a hat that makes him immune from law.

quote:

Thus, in a given society, the authority of man over man is inversely proportional to the stage of intellectual development which that society has reached; and the probable duration of that authority can be calculated from the more or less general desire for a true government, — that is, for a scientific government. And just as the right of force and the right of artifice retreat before the steady advance of justice, and must finally be extinguished in equality, so the sovereignty of the will yields to the sovereignty of the reason
It doesn't mean 'run society from physics textbooks' like techbros would imagine but more 'run society from the intellectual traditions of social science rather than by force or violence or wealth or religion' like those godforsaken postmodern neomarxists that Gordo Peenerman keeps finding under the bed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Isomermaid posted:

The tories will always tory, so the lib dems seem content to occupy whatever space on the left-to-centre Labour doesn't. In their messaging at least... noone who vacillates that much and that openly has any conviction behind it they're just plainly trying to carve out a niche to soak up a few votes from. And you can bet if they ever by some miracle got in they'd retreat to maintaining the status quo whatever it was. They're not doers, they're a debate club.

Edit: Disgraceful that they are able to even consider doing this. gently caress's sake, Starmer

One end of the swab up the left nostril, one up the right nostril = 2 tests :v:

Remember when the Lib Dem’s desperately tried to regain the student vote they lost after the coalition government by smashing that “launch” button on their legalise weed campaign? That was pretty hilarious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson is currently to the left of Labour on the legalize weed campaign, if you assume that "eh it's probably going to be legal one day anyway and also there's money in it" is to the left of "credere, obbedire, combattere".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

frankenbeans posted:

Are pasta shells considered frivolous? :ohdear:

That said, We've still got a pack and a half of pasta animal shapes that we got during the panic shopping days. They are definitely frivolous.

Conchiglie is forbidden
Spaghetti and fusilli are ok
Farfalle, no
Novelty pasta penises, yes but only if you pretend they're religious hats

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that this is still going on

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1265543159578312706?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/cillanoir/status/1265396111495303170?s=19

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I went looking and can't seem to find a site with an obvious table. Had to go to the dataset for yesterdays press conference. Tests for this month so far. 177,000 on the 20th is a massive outlier and whatever magicked that number up will be repeated in the next few days.

code:
1/5/2020	122,347
2/5/2020	105,937
3/5/2020	76,496
4/5/2020	85,186
5/5/2020	84,806
6/5/2020	69,463
7/5/2020	86,583
8/5/2020	97,029
9/5/2020	96,878
10/5/2020	92,837
11/5/2020	100,490
12/5/2020	85,293
13/5/2020	87,063
14/5/2020	126,064
15/5/2020	133,784
16/5/2020	136,486
17/5/2020	91,206
18/5/2020	100,678
19/5/2020	89,784
20/5/2020	177,216
21/5/2020	128,340
22/5/2020	140,497
23/5/2020	116,585
24/5/2020	110,401
25/5/2020	73,726
26/5/2020	109,979

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sebzilla posted:

Conchiglie is forbidden
Spaghetti and fusilli are ok
Farfalle, no
Novelty pasta penises, yes but only if you pretend they're religious hats

Any pasta that has joints in it: haram
Penne: haram
Other tubular pasta: halal (especially rigatoni)
Long pasta: halalness increases proportionally with flatness and width

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes I have a fan beside my bed that I run continuously most nights so I'm hoping it will keep them off me in the night! (My head gets really hot when I lie down).
These are really tiny, occasionally bite. I'll get a dead one tomorrow and have a look.

I bought a new orthopedic pillow last week and it has a heat dissipating gel pack built in. It made me shiver the first few times i laid on it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sebzilla posted:

Only the frivolous ones

When I was living in Egypt, at one point the government banned the import of 'provocative goods'. These included pet food and cos lettuce.

Egyptian-made cat food was lethal to cat kidneys causing oxalic crystals to form. For the lettuce, I'm not sure whether that was because the word 'cos' in arabic is close to Egyptian slang for ladybits - cue maximum embarrassment in a supermarket for Egyptian husband of a strident British wife with a loud voice was demanding to know where the cous cous was - I don't know.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Alice Beer on This Morning exhorting viewers to do their "duty as consumers" by piling back into virus-infested shopping centres

Absolutely normal country with a healthy taste for capitalist boot

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It is every citizens final duty to go into the tanks H&M

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I have to say, the level of discussion of politics and erudite scholarship on this forum especially this early in the morning astounds me (one of the reasons I love this forum so much I do a patreon).

I can barely string a sentence together until I've been up for hours & had my nanna nap and am probably at the level of crisps chat - not that I have anything to contribute to that still being a monster munch virgin.)

(I'm not being sarcastic).

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Well I'm immune so I could. But like no matter how much I want to go to Hobbycraft I'm not willing to kill a pensioner for it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

tbf to this guy, I learnt this morning that this was his wife's party... and he left his wife 6 weeks ago. Because he came out.

Quite a lockdown he's had!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Isomermaid posted:

Well I'm immune so I could. But like no matter how much I want to go to Hobbycraft I'm not willing to kill a pensioner for it.

Don't worry, they don't mind. They've had a good life.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wachter posted:

Alice Beer on This Morning exhorting viewers to do their "duty as consumers" by piling back into virus-infested shopping centres

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Incidentally, that's a rough-looking 40.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

tbf to this guy, I learnt this morning that this was his wife's party... and he left his wife 6 weeks ago. Because he came out.

Quite a lockdown he's had!

Wait, what

Is my last post out of date already

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Isomermaid posted:

If you're immune you shouldn't be infectious.

Unless you mean you feel an overwhelming urge to stab a pensioner whenever you go into Hobbycraft.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

She mentioned the "joy" of shopping in places like Cribbs loving Causeway Mall in Bristol, which is something absolutely nobody has ever experienced.

The presenters then went on to ask how a professional leprechaun whisperer has been affected by lockdown, so

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Wachter posted:

did she actually say this? I'm getting pushback from my mam who actually watches it lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Wachter posted:

The presenters then went on to ask how a professional leprechaun whisperer has been affected by lockdown, so
I refuse to believe this was actually on telly, even in the weird reality bending insanity/inanity of a breakfast show

e: https://twitter.com/amy_13125/status/1265583901935837184?s=20

lol

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 27, 2020

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Maugrim posted:

If you're immune you shouldn't be infectious.

Unless you mean you feel an overwhelming urge to stab a pensioner whenever you go into Hobbycraft.

As someone who has gone to hobbycraft to get cheap stuff to do warhammer with, I can confirm that something about it makes you angrier than usual. Might be that you have to look at the kind of people who think papercraft is a hobby adults are still into.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wachter posted:

She mentioned the "joy" of shopping in places like Cribbs loving Causeway Mall in Bristol, which is something absolutely nobody has ever experienced.

lmaooo

The last time I was in Cribbs Causeway it was to get laser eye surgery and let me tell you stumbling through hoards of saturday afternoon shoppers with blurry, freshly zapped vision is not a fun thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wachter posted:

My sister is always waffling on about the joys of Cribbs Causeway and going there is a big event for her.

I went once to see this pinnacle of the shopping experience and was mightily disappointed. It's a bog-standard, two storey mini-mall. OK it's bigger than anything round here, but no better & probably worse than the John Frost Sq locality in Newport or St Davids Centre in Cardiff, both of which are nearer - and in city centres - than Cribbs.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aphex- posted:

The last time I was in Cribbs Causeway it was to get laser eye surgery and let me tell you stumbling through hoards of saturday afternoon shoppers with blurry, freshly zapped vision is not a fun thing.

You should have followed government advice and driven

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I miss cribbs causeway and living in Bristol. I thought it was great over there. The christmassy snow rink and little events they had could be neat :)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Barry Foster posted:

did she actually say this? I'm getting pushback from my mam who actually watches it lol

Yep, a couple of times.

Actually, I tell a lie, I have experienced joy in Cribbs Causeway: going into HMV with a group of mates and changing the alarm on the fancy IOT alarm clocks to me shouting "get up you oval office"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I literally just made an itv account so I can check the veracity of that This Morning quotation lol

But I can't rewind until it's over

Even the few seconds I saw they were loving around in a garden blowing bubbles with toys, it's cbeebies for adults ffs

Wachter posted:

Yep, a couple of times.

Actually, I tell a lie, I have experienced joy in Cribbs Causeway: going into HMV with a group of mates and changing the alarm on the fancy IOT alarm clocks to me shouting "get up you oval office"

aight cool, thanks

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

XMNN posted:

I refuse to believe this was actually on telly, even in the weird reality bending insanity/inanity of a breakfast show

e: https://twitter.com/amy_13125/status/1265583901935837184?s=20

lol

It's temping to think people like that are in it for the racket but there really are genuine believers out there. I got to know a foreman working on a building site near where I worked about 5 years ago and he told me that the owner of the company wouldn't take contracts if there were fairy mounds anywhere near the site :spooky:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
He looks like he's been stung by bees

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

crispix posted:

It's temping to think people like that are in it for the racket but there really are genuine believers out there. I got to know a foreman working on a building site near where I worked about 5 years ago and he told me that the owner of the company wouldn't take contracts if there were fairy mounds anywhere near the site :spooky:

I remember reading a story a while back about locals complaining about building works cos of fairy mounds. Similarly I read it expecting to mock believers in fairies. Reading between the lines it was more that some property developer didn’t listen to locals objections to whatever they were “gentrifying” so they dug into local folklore for a different tactic. Saying it was an affront to local culture gave them a different angle from the one the officials at the council were used to ignoring and a bunch of press coverage on objections and so on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The neck stubble is a weird choice IMO, like either shave or grow it out, if you just have a constant stubble everywhere it just looks like you couldn't be arsed to shave for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

replies not going well for him

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1265592505724256257?s=20