Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wark Say posted:

Yorknew was a loving trip. Also, all the nods to real-life places in NYC are a big part of why is still one of my fave arcs.

Yorknew is still the best HxH arc. Fight me. :colbert:

The Chimera Ant arc hits harder at the end, but it was a slog in a lot of parts. It also has the worst 5 minutes! rendition since the Frieza Arc. Yorknew was very tightly paced and had a lot of great moments without needing to make each named baddie have their own 3 - 4 episodes.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
York new has a lot of characters that get focus on for no good reason and with no payoff.

I cared way more about the Ants then those cannon fodder dudes and girl.

York new has weird pacing overall though and while everyone talks about the Chimera Ant bring long I think Yornew is the worst paced arc

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

somepartsareme posted:

Can't imagine watching over 100 episodes of hxh and deciding to stop before the actual emotional payoff of the entire show, leorio punching ging
My favorite part of that whole enchilada is that every seasoned hunter knows that Pariston is a pain in the rear end and needs to be kept on close inspection, so they need Ging to counter his bullshit; problem here, though? Ging is as much of an insufferable fuckbin that no-one likes/they sorta have to tolerate, but everyone basically goes "OK, whatever, if it has to be on merits alone, Ging qualifies, even if he's a fuckbag" through clenched teeth. But then, this dweeby 22-year-old with lovely attitude starts grilling the big dog and then that whole :mad:"YOU CAN GO TO HELL!" moment happens. And people are so sick of Ging's bullshit that the dude almost becomes a shoo-in for the post of chairman!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's me, the poster who unironically thinks that Greed Island is the best arc in the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Greed Island has the best pacing which shows pacing isn’t everything

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Greed Island has the best pacing which shows pacing isn’t everything

I don't know if you're applying that to the anime or the manga; I've never actually watched the former.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I don't know if you're applying that to the anime or the manga; I've never actually watched the former.

I’m just talking about the anime.

Though at this point the difference between the two isn’t enough to make a big difference

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Ok you all make fair enough points. I'm was just drained after finishing the ant arc. I'll finish it up here in the next couple days. I hope Ging is as much of a shithead as I've pegged him for.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m just talking about the anime.

Though at this point the difference between the two isn’t enough to make a big difference

I generally avoid watching the anime of a manga I've read specifically because of how pacing will feel "off" to me. Like cramming the 60 chapters of Greed Island into 15 or so episodes is not something I care to quality check but I enjoy the arc the most of all of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hunter x hunter is pretty faithful outside the ending which makes sense as they wanted it to have some closure

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Greed Island had the most forgettable villain in the series. Dude was like a first time YuYu Hakusho villain but worse. The training episodes also sucked, but everything else ruled.

Yorknew had the best moments of the show for me. Some rough episodes, but interacting with the PT along with the tension and mind games made it so good.

Chairman arc introduced a lot of super interesting characters, had some cool payoffs, and it's only like 12 episodes

In fact, is there an anime that is basically just the chairman arc? I loved the political stuff and diverse characters, but I don't want to pay attention to too much because I zone out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I will say Yorknew introduces a lot of concepts that would be brought back in the Chimera Ant arc. Just done better.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wasn't particularly interesting or noteworthy how everyone gon met that knew ging talked about how great he was. but then it turned out that everything they said was, uh, shall we say selective truths because they liked gon and didn't want to have to tell him his long lost dad was an rear end in a top hat.

it's too bad that gon's adventures are over, but that was an amazing way to end his search for ging.

I liked the part at the end of Greed Island where Gon's hearing stories about Ging from two of the GI admins. One of them starts going on this rant about Ging is such a massive rear end in a top hat for changing his name without his consent, and then the other admin quickly shuts him up by making some bullshit excuse about how his luck has turned for the better once his name got changed.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love the Chairman Arc because it managed to surprise me with its twists even though after Meruem I was outright expecting them. I was blown away by both the solution to the "evil" twin being not banishment but love, and Pariston's machinations being not some devious scheme but simply his way of mourning the mentor he loved screwing with the most.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the current arc is insanely good and maybe the best one if it ever ends. i hope bill and theta live long happy lives.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
each year that passes without a new chapter makes it more likely that there will never be new chapters. still, i'd love for my default negativity to be wrong.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

each year that passes without a new chapter makes it more likely that there will never be new chapters. still, i'd love for my default negativity to be wrong.

Any time we get a new chapter, it's because Togashi activated his Emperor Time, but since it burns through his life, he can only make so many before needing heavy rest. We don't know how many years it will take for him to reactivate his powers but personally...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Still have 11 chapters until Togashi matches his old record. Hang in there man, this is the real HxH experience. Heck, this is worse because back in the day I didn't post on forums about it so it was easier to just forget about the series until it came back.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Big Leg posted:

the current arc is insanely good and maybe the best one if it ever ends. i hope bill and theta live long happy lives.

I agree, this arc has been so great (probably because Gon isn't in it). I almost wish someone would take the world of HxH and start writing a new manga using totally new characters just for some new content.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will say Yorknew introduces a lot of concepts that would be brought back in the Chimera Ant arc. Just done better.

Yeah, specifically Yorknew was the first time our heroes seemed waaaaay in over their heads and I wasn't sure who would even make it out alive.

Like if they hadn't played their cards right and gotten SUPER lucky with Pakunoda going against the grain, they would've absolutely been murderized. Probably tortured along the way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

I agree, this arc has been so great (probably because Gon isn't in it). I almost wish someone would take the world of HxH and start writing a new manga using totally new characters just for some new content.

there was that mangaka who wrote a fanfic where hisoka fought nen magneto, but it wasn't that good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think a fanfic in the world would work.

Hunter X Hunter has never had strong world building. It does just enough for the story

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think a fanfic in the world would work.

Hunter X Hunter has never had strong world building. It does just enough for the story

It isn't a matter of "strong" vs. "weak" world building. It's a matter of showing instead of telling. So, of course things aren't going to be shown if they aren't important to the story. Though, the few times Togashi does go into exposition mode (when it has to do with the history of something instead of the mechanics of something), it does come off kind of disjointed.

Off the top of my head, the biggest example of this is the Little Rose. Like, it makes sense in the context of the a techno-magic world, but it just comes out of nowhere as a plot element and then he just goes into a few pages on the history of tactical nukes in the world because wtf?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, you could make a whole arc about people that end up in Meteor City or hell, the city itself. Yes, I know that Yorknew, the Zazan invasion miniarc and the existence of the Spider as a whole touch upon it, but also holy poo poo just imagine: Was Meteor City one of the first/biggest tragedies where they used the little rose? Is anyone besides the mafia using it for "disposal"?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This manga could use a mha vigilantes. Or like half a dozen of them.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
it was kinda interesting when that elf dude was going on about nen warfare

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

The nen system is interesting enough that I would like to see it used in different kinds of stories beside the 4 arcs that have it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

theres some hxh based hacked ttrpgs based on dnd out there. i never ran it so i dunno how good it is, but the idea of a hxh ttrpg sounds so good if done right. i'd have you roll your nen type and develop your own upgrades w/ exp.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Lpzie posted:

theres some hxh based hacked ttrpgs based on dnd out there. i never ran it so i dunno how good it is, but the idea of a hxh ttrpg sounds so good if done right. i'd have you roll your nen type and develop your own upgrades w/ exp.

I think you can make up some decent nen powers with the Mutants and Masterminds 3e point buy system.

I found a hxh ttrpg but it was all in spanish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lpzie posted:

D&D seems like an absolutely terrible system to try and model Nen out of. Point buy systems like GURPS, Hero System, Wild Talents or Mutants and Masterminds are more accommodating, but like any point buy system, they easily fall prey to min-maxing.

If you're only trying to model the powers and not the drama, then pick a supers based system, but to get the tone and drama, there's probably any number of systems that could do that.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yeah i haven't played those but i kinda think you either need a system that's crunchy as gently caress to mimic the insanity of the hxh fights and allow for unique abilities rather than having them picked from a list, or play it where it's narrative heavy and you let your moves be part of the fiction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Xelkelvos posted:

D&D seems like an absolutely terrible system to try and model Nen out of. Point buy systems like GURPS, Hero System, Wild Talents or Mutants and Masterminds are more accommodating, but like any point buy system, they easily fall prey to min-maxing.

If you're only trying to model the powers and not the drama, then pick a supers based system, but to get the tone and drama, there's probably any number of systems that could do that.

I mean, people in HxH do actually min-max, so that's canon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

It isn't a matter of "strong" vs. "weak" world building. It's a matter of showing instead of telling. So, of course things aren't going to be shown if they aren't important to the story. Though, the few times Togashi does go into exposition mode (when it has to do with the history of something instead of the mechanics of something), it does come off kind of disjointed.

Off the top of my head, the biggest example of this is the Little Rose. Like, it makes sense in the context of the a techno-magic world, but it just comes out of nowhere as a plot element and then he just goes into a few pages on the history of tactical nukes in the world because wtf?

Nah it’s just weak. Togashi very clearly loves Nen and goes into detail about how it works despite it for the most part not being terrible relevant. He clearly does not care all that much about world building.

Which is fine that’s not what hunter X hunter wants to be.

Also the history lesson is important to the theme of the arc or at least that part of the arc

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 28, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah it’s just weak. Togashi very clearly loves Nen and goes into detail about how it works despite it for the most part not being terrible relevant. He clearly does not care all that much about world building.

Which is fine that’s not what hunter X hunter wants to be.

Also the history lesson is important to the theme of the arc or at least that part of the arc

I feel like the worldbuilding is fine. It's not the main focus of the story overall but we're never left without a sense of identity and cohesion between locations and events. And Togashi tends to just build on ideas and places, like how Kakin went from being just a country Kite was working for to this Dynasty exploiting their own revolution to skirt the otherwise oppressive political landscape that defines the world at large. There are a lot of big and small details I think just get passed over by readers in favor of the character drama.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Hunter x Hunter has this weird setting where it's superficially similar to the modern-day real world, but it's still a true secondary world rather than an alternate history or anything like that, so there's room for bizarre political systems and monsters and hidden supernatural powers around the edges. Black Cat is the only other shonen manga I can think of with a similar setting.

The biggest problem with HxH's world building is that there isn't really room for hidden supernatural powers; it makes no sense that the general public, and even people like the Princes of Kakin, don't know about Nen when places like Heaven's Arena exist. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's "real world" setting has similar problems regarding the lack of public knowledge of Stands despite most Stand users not really trying very hard to keep them a secret.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I feel like the worldbuilding is fine. It's not the main focus of the story overall but we're never left without a sense of identity and cohesion between locations and events. And Togashi tends to just build on ideas and places, like how Kakin went from being just a country Kite was working for to this Dynasty exploiting their own revolution to skirt the otherwise oppressive political landscape that defines the world at large. There are a lot of big and small details I think just get passed over by readers in favor of the character drama.

I don’t think the world building is bad it’s just not his priority. Which is only a problem if you want to set up another scenario within the same world. If you do that you are mostly making things up yourself which is I think the problem with that idea

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter has this weird setting where it's superficially similar to the modern-day real world, but it's still a true secondary world rather than an alternate history or anything like that, so there's room for bizarre political systems and monsters and hidden supernatural powers around the edges. Black Cat is the only other shonen manga I can think of with a similar setting.

The biggest problem with HxH's world building is that there isn't really room for hidden supernatural powers; it makes no sense that the general public, and even people like the Princes of Kakin, don't know about Nen when places like Heaven's Arena exist.

That nen poo poo is just kayfabe, dude.

(Also the hunter association nen training stuff was invented by the chairman and isn't public knowledge)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silver2195 posted:

The biggest problem with HxH's world building is that there isn't really room for hidden supernatural powers; it makes no sense that the general public, and even people like the Princes of Kakin, don't know about Nen when places like Heaven's Arena exist. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's "real world" setting has similar problems regarding the lack of public knowledge of Stands despite most Stand users not really trying very hard to keep them a secret.

JJBA gets a pass because stands are by definition undetectable by folks without stands, and there are far fewer of them in the setting than there are Nen users in HxH.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If you think too much about it, it kind of doesn't make sense. There's hunters and Nen users everywhere, but officially the hunter numbers are, what, less than 1000?

Also yeah the celestial tower having huge nen fights with crollo and hisoka killing hundreds of people and nobody questioning how they do this also is funky.

I take it nen is just one of those things the important or well informed people know about, but the average guy hand waves around with random spiritual things. The world of hxh is full of ghosts and sprites and everything that they can just say it's "magic" or something.

That certain high ranking people in the series don't know about it however seems kind of weird though, yes

In any case, I'm sad as hell that we'll propably never see any new hxh again. Every time a hiatus happened I had a feeling it'd be the last, but this time I just really don't think it'll be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah it's better to not think too hard about it. But funnily despite how obviously paper-thin it is, it's actually dictated a tonne of the entire series. Plotlines consistently take place in secluded/restricted places, because anything else just constitutes too big of a gently caress you to the idea that Nen isn't common knowledge. Likewise, Nen being extremely rare acts as a bizarre squeeze on the action, where the author is constrained by the fact that there can't be too many Nen using non-Hunter antagonists just hanging around. Thus the antagonists are generally from outside of society - places like Meteor City, the criminal underworld, and uhhh...monsters.

Sometimes you just write yourself into a hole and have to keep digging I guess.