Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Pirate Radar posted:

They’re not anyone else though

i do not think they did it just to bring attention to the fact that alexis kennedy is a sex creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
My stance on this subject is: If you're being accused of being a sex creep. Do not do things that would make you look like a sex creep. And if you did. Do not continue doing them. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's bad and doubling-down dumb but I think it's an attempt to normalise rather than a BEHOLD, MY SEX CRIMES CONTINUE strategy

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The controversial act of making a reference to romance on Valentine's day? :confused:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
my intuition is that its just a valentines day thing and they're pretending the sex creep stuff doesnt exist, but i guess at the end of the day it doesnt matter much what we think because probably none of us are buying his cursed games anymore anyways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's bad and doubling-down dumb but I think it's an attempt to normalise rather than a BEHOLD, MY SEX CRIMES CONTINUE strategy

its this

the lovely thing here is pretending it didnt happen, not acknowledging romance exists

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yeah, I should clarify that if it is a provocation (and that's my worst-case scenario rather than likeliest-case) the message isn't "BEHOLD, MY SEX CRIMES CONTINUE" so much as "BEHOLD, OUR LOVE ENDURES AND SO DOES OUR COMPANY DESPITE YOUR ATTEMPT TO DESTROY US".

Basically, Weather Factory owes its existence as an entity to a workplace romance which the #MeTooing of Kennedy revealed to have been conducted on a profoundly unethical basis. They are not, I would say, in much of a brilliant place to address the subject of romance in general.

Endorph posted:

I mean their stance is the accusations were a smear campaign by larger corporations trying to ruin their business. So.
Hold up, where'd they say this? I recall a lot of denial on the blogs but nothing to the tune of "this was a dirty hit job by rival companies". EDIT: Never mind, saw it in the #MeToo thread. loving wow.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 4, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Continuing the

Warthur posted:

"this was a dirty hit job by rival companies"

theme, I see Kennedy is writing some memoirs.

uh huh

Also they announced an edge ascension DLC.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shame about the dlc, because i'd be interested in seeing how it works, but i don't really want to give them any money now

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Continuing the

theme, I see Kennedy is writing some memoirs.

uh huh

:holymoley:

Is that an actual cover?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

shame about the dlc, because i'd be interested in seeing how it works, but i don't really want to give them any money now

I have the perpetual edition, so I can have it without giving them anything. I'm still kinda eh at the prospect.

Vlex posted:

:holymoley:

Is that an actual cover?

"This is almost certainly not the final version of the cover. Unless I get drunk."

On the other hand: the filename is cover-smol.jpeg

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Good, it's the principle I don't give one poo poo about. If it were secret histories I'd have to think about it.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
After playing this for a while, this seems more like a heist and crew simulator than a ritual and cult simulator.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amuys posted:

After playing this for a while, this seems more like a heist and crew simulator than a ritual and cult simulator.

That's not very far away from the truth. The mystique is in the first hours when you don't know poo poo of how anything works. After that, yeah, heist/crew simulator.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think that's largely because the Ritual system is so anemic. You can summon guys... and that's it. There are a grand total of four rituals that do anything other than summon something, and they're all basically useless. And all summoning does is give you disposable cultists with high-ish skills. For a game about running a cult, there's almost nothing your cultists can do for you except steal stuff.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I see that they delayed Book of Hours and apparently have spent the last 6 months working on a new update for Cultist Simulator? That's good, because I'm not too excited about the librarian simulator game, but have put about 200 hours in CS. This new thing is supposed to be a big divergence though, like no money grinding or trying to actually ascend? Could be interesting.

Additionally, it seems that AK is some sort of sex pest, which is unfortunate. However, I bought the Perpetual Edition two years ago so I have no qualms about continuing to play and enjoy this game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i mean dude's not getting any more money; play away

i did not get the perpetual edition and have qualms about paying him. may need to sit this one out

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Well this definitely changes up gameplay a lot. I am enjoying the new balancing act of Stuff from town vs Stuff I can throw in a suitcase with me and hop a train because assassins just showed up. (And the other balancing act of this is too useful for me not to keep vs I need to be able to pack up and skip town fast enough not to get shot).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i have the perpetual edition and it still wants me to pay for this so no thank you

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
When I boot up the game it is showing as already available in the DLC&Mods button.

Dunno if I'll play this, but as it's not giving him money and I like his work... I'll see how bored I get. EDIT : Some of that weird concern of if I like the work of someone with bad opinions, will I skew myself towards them.

Also as I'm a weird Patchnote reading rear end in a top hat a warning :-

:siren:Magnets will pull cards from your hand now!:siren: And you can turn this off by setting Bird/Worm to Anarchy instead which is considerate. Thank you YorkshirePudding for reminding me.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 27, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dunno, its not his bad opinions that he can win you over with. hes a sex creep, not a conservative columnist or something

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
That you should emotionally manipulate and abuse your position for sexual gratification and then further abuse your position to scare your co-workers and employees into shutting up about it is an opinion.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

PSA: If someone wants to use mods go to the modding discord and download the Assembly-CSharp patch, they've been broken for a few versions now

And maybe copy your patched game files somewhere outside of Steam, too, otherwise you'll have to keep patching the game whenever there's an update (which can be every few days even).

Here's the mods I'm currently using, not tested extensively with the DLC but worked fine for the past week:

- Cultist Simulator Extended (longer summons, some minor tweaks to notoriety, mostly to make things easier on ghouls)
- Cult Expansion Mod (lets you build up your headquarters for minor bonuses)
- Looping Jobs (optional tedium reduction in exchange for making it easier to get in trouble if you do loop your jobs, since they pay out slower; also makes painting more viable)
- The Voices Through Followers (new legacy and mechanic)
- The Professor (new legacy, secret histories cult and ascension, like a mini-DLC)
- The Pack Of The Wolf Divided (new legacy and ascension, less content than the other two)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tylana posted:

When I boot up the game it is showing as already available in the DLC&Mods button.

Dunno if I'll play this, but as it's not giving him money and I like his work... I'll see how bored I get. EDIT : Some of that weird concern of if I like the work of someone with bad opinions, will I skew myself towards them.

Also as I'm a weird Patchnote reading rear end in a top hat a warning :-

:siren:Magnets will pull cards from your hand now!:siren:

Hint: Embrace the Worm, embrace anarchy!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tylana posted:

Some of that weird concern of if I like the work of someone with bad opinions, will I skew myself towards them.

He's not an actual cultist wizard so he can't make you be a creep to women if you aren't already one, don't worry.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
If you're seeing anyone in these games as people to emulate then you've got bigger problems man

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Here's all the mods I've listed earlier along with the patch:

SA_modpack.zip

- check out the "gateofhorn" branch in Steam betas
- copy Assembly-CSharp.dll (I've already patched it) into [Game Install]/cultistsimulator_Data/Managed/
- extract mods you want into C:/Users/[User]/AppData/LocalLow/Weather Factory/Cultist Simulator/mods/
- activate them in the menu I guess

e: the courgette64.exe is used for applying the patches, it's included if you want to do it yourself in the future

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 27, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Verviticus posted:

i have the perpetual edition and it still wants me to pay for this so no thank you

Restarting Steam fixed this for me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Tylana posted:

That you should emotionally manipulate and abuse your position for sexual gratification and then further abuse your position to scare your co-workers and employees into shutting up about it is an opinion.

is this the kind of thing you might find yourself skewed towards, or empathizing with? its so far beyond reasonable or acceptable i dont really understand how you could gravitate towards it no matter what you think of kennedy's writing

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Restarting Steam fixed this for me.

cool ty

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's not a serious concern, for clarity. But I am a little concerned by people who assume their consciousness is a perfect firewall.

EDIT : For further clarity it was meant as a self-deprecating goof about if the gross of authors sticks to their work.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 27, 2020

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I need to figure out more ways to be defiant to the one hunting me. Though I admit I'm not sure how to top sending her an enchanted rifle that can kill immortals and my address, presumably labeled "Come and have a go then".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Depends on who you're venerating. But in general: Kill some Reckoners, starts or betray a rebellion, and if you're nearing the end and venerating the cooler of the 2 Hours, starts a fight with your Foe and let him beat the poo poo out of you for fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stroth posted:

If you're seeing anyone in these games as people to emulate then you've got bigger problems man

i am saliba irl

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

As a quick update the binary I've patched works in the last game patch (z.1) as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New DLC is very hectic. Your primary resource is finite (as far as I can tell) and must constantly be on the move. Really contrasts with the base game. It reminds me a lot of how XCOM2 was designed to expressly counter the slow play of EU/EW.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Alright, I dislike the guy but I have to admit he's a hell of a writer. The Defiance ending is honestly one of the best examples of a "and so the adventure goes on" type ending that I've seen.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Stroth posted:

Alright, I dislike the guy but I have to admit he's a hell of a writer.

It was really nice having a unique lovecraft-style setting without the baggage of having a lovecraft-style author for a while. I remember I used to tell people who disliked the inherent racism that bleeds through from the author in the Cthulhu mythos to take a look at this game's setting instead. Welp.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Reveilled posted:

It was really nice having a unique lovecraft-style setting without the baggage of having a lovecraft-style author for a while. I remember I used to tell people who disliked the inherent racism that bleeds through from the author in the Cthulhu mythos to take a look at this game's setting instead. Welp.

Megalomaniacal narcissism and abusive manipulation is probably better than virulent white supremacy, right?

Right?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Megalomaniacal narcissism and abusive manipulation is probably better than virulent white supremacy, right?

Right?

Probably? In the text, sure; if you ignore Lovecraft's failings as a person you still have to grapple with the text being racist in a way I don't think you have to if you can separate Kennedy's failings as a person from his work.

In terms of which makes you the worse person, maybe that depends on how much harm you cause. I don't feel qualified to decide that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Reveilled posted:

Probably? In the text, sure; if you ignore Lovecraft's failings as a person you still have to grapple with the text being racist in a way I don't think you have to if you can separate Kennedy's failings as a person from his work.

In terms of which makes you the worse person, maybe that depends on how much harm you cause. I don't feel qualified to decide that.

Neither am I, the question was rhetorical. Though I don't know if I'd agree that the text doesn't include the failings of the person. Without passing judgement on the veracity or extent of the accusations against Kennedy, the narrative and gameplay of CS is very much about a brilliant, special individual attempting to achieve personal goals by using and destroying people. At least that's how I play, maybe it says more about me?