Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was my first team. Light Duran and the other two went dark. Nothing stood a chance against me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That was my first team. Light Duran and the other two went dark. Nothing stood a chance against me

Pretty sure I played Light Duran in the fan-patch; I know it's gonna be different just because I'll be playing the remake, but I still wanna switch it up a bit, so I'm strongly considering a Dark Duran this time.

Of course, Dark Duran means I'll be a bit short on healing, which (unfortunately for my ears) makes Charlotte a pretty strong contender for slot 3...

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

This game dumps so many healing items on you, it probably won't matter if you have a dedicated healer or not.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Wait a minute, I just realized: If Charlotte's mother turned into a human, how is Charlotte a half-elf?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zurai posted:

Blame Tolkein.

In Tolkien elves that married humans got at least a standard human's lifespan. Keep in mind that humans with close elf ancestors could live to stupid ages, at least 300 if not more. Aragorn is 80 to 90 years old during the books.

E: I just checked. Elros, Elrond's brother, lived about 500 years

Arwen explicitly outlived Aragorn by one year, she died of broken heart, not anything mystical, and she hadn't really aged even after the marriage.

So I guess I can blame the fanfiction surrounding Tolkien?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 27, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Omobono posted:

In Tolkien elves that married humans got at least a standard human's lifespan. Keep in mind that humans with close elf ancestors could live to stupid ages, at least 300 if not more. Aragorn is 80 to 90 years old during the books.

E: I just checked. Elros, Elrond's brother, lived about 500 years

Arwen explicitly outlived Aragorn by one year, she died of broken heart, not anything mystical, and she hadn't really aged even after the marriage.

So I guess I can blame the fanfiction surrounding Tolkien?

I was referring to the tale of Beren and Luthien. Luthien became mortal to share a single lifetime with Beren. Similarly, when Aragorn dies, Arwen becomes grief-stricken, "the elf-light in her eyes goes out", and she becomes only the second elf, ever, to die of old age. The other was Luthien.

Incidentally, that's why Elrond was so opposed to Aragorn and Arwen's love. Nothing to do with them being cousins, amusingly. To be fair, they're very distant cousins.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 27, 2020

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Huh. I just did the "wake Angela up in Jadd" thing, and... turns out she has pointy ears. I never noticed that detail.

This, in turn, got me looking more closely at everyone else, and apparently everyone in this world has them.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
In the real world where being exceptional just means being more than two standard deviations above average in whatever statistic you care to measure it's easier to establish the legal fiction that all men are equal; in fantasy, where there are literally other races, national borders are mostly determined by military strength, and a debate can be settled by: "I was more blessed by the Mana Goddess than you, your argument is invalid" I can see concepts like the divine right to rule persisting. I think it's telling that of all the Mana games, only Secret of Mana--where Mana power has been largely irrelevant for centuries--has a republic (Tasnica).

(Obviously, the actual explanation to why everybody's some flavor of royalty and/or nobility is due to the modern romantic fascination with an institution very few people have to live under. With elected leaders, you can theoretically vote your way to a different, if not better, government, but if a monarch is tyrannical most people aren't willing to start civil wars to overthrow one unless the surrounding circumstances are terrible enough to be worth the risk.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CptWedgie posted:

Huh. I just did the "wake Angela up in Jadd" thing, and... turns out she has pointy ears. I never noticed that detail.

This, in turn, got me looking more closely at everyone else, and apparently everyone in this world has them.

Which is weird, cause I wonder what sets them apart from the Elves other then that they live longer.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Pretty sure my Angela's never getting targeted by anything... I mean, I've got Enigma on her, and Provoke on Duran. Her aggro rate is probably absurdly low with that combination (and I've wound up running from a miniature zombie apocalypse while my allies chase them down to attack a couple times, incidentally).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey everyone! That second vote I mentioned is here.

There's honestly not an easy way of doing this via strawpoll without failing to capture preferences the way I would like for this, but I'm asking all of you to tell me the order you want me to do the Benevedons in.

There are seven Benevdons to fight:

Fire
Ice
Wind
Earth
Moon
Nature
Light

For now, if you could list in the thread your choice for First, Second and Third Benevedons I tackle formatted like this:

1. Moon
2. Ice
3. Fire

I will take each of these votes as a SEPERATE vote for the Benevedon in that position. So your choice for the Ice Benevedon at 2 would only impact the second Benevedon I tackle.

This means that you could legitimately vote:

1. Moon
2. Moon
3. Moon

If you simply wanted to see the Moon Benevedon early.

I'm formatting votes this way to capture the fact that some Benevedons might be popular but are better tackled at certain positions in the game.

Voting for slots 1 and 2 will close on Friday with votes for 3 tentatively counting longer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
1:Ice
2:Fire
3:Moon

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

1: EARTH
2: FIRE
3: WIND
(WATER HEART!)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

1. Moon
2. Nature
3. Moon

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kinda snickering at the contrast between Shade and Lumina, especially Lumina talked immediately after Shade.

"I am all dramatic and whispery..."
"Hiya! Let's do the thing!"

Anyway, don't really care what order you do the bosses in, personally.

...Why does Dryad do that... can you call that a dance? I'm gonna call it a dance.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

...Why does Dryad do that... can you call that a dance? I'm gonna call it a dance.

Dryad gets the wiggles whenever she(?) has self-confidence issues, which is always. (In her SNES incarnation, I thought she was swinging her knees back and forth...)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

dotchan posted:

(In her SNES incarnation, I thought she was swinging her knees back and forth...)

She is literally a tree. How did you get the idea that she had knees in the first place?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
1: Wind
2: Wind
3: Wind

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

She is literally a tree. How did you get the idea that she had knees in the first place?

Because I didn't know she was a tree the first time I played (which was on the untranslated SNES cart, with a guide sitting next to me because I don't understand very much Japanese).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
1: Wind
2: Wind
3: Fire

Get the boring dungeon out of the way first IMO.

CptWedgie posted:

...Wait a minute, I just realized: If Charlotte's mother turned into a human, how is Charlotte a half-elf?
It was less a 'turn human' spell and more of a 'make compatible' spell. She was still an elf.

CptWedgie posted:

I mean, if you were stuck in a place with the Lampbloom Woods music for Many Many years and were also a tree spirit, I'd imagine your hips would be swinging in time to it too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A quick look at the votes:

Magus has a firm lead on Rune Master, with people seemingly wanting to see Angela annihilate her opponents with extreme prejudice.

Vanadis has what is honestly, for me, a surprising lead on Star Lancer. Although I certainly don't object I was under the rather firm impression that Star Lancer was the more popular class!

Ninja Master fights Nightblade on a razor's edge, with a SINGLE vote separating the two classes.

It'll be interesting to see how these pan out! Advocate whatever way you want and see if you can sway anyone.

Benevodon Vote

Currently we're set to visit the Wind Benevedon first, before going to his Fiery friend next.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, it's coming across rather well that you're enjoying the game. I find it funny that you've had basically one criticism where you said "I think the original did this scene better" while the rest of the LP has been pretty unadulterated gushing and you're worried we might be thinking you're being too hard on the game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I decided to go with Charlotte for my third member (and was pleasantly surprised that she isn't as bad as I was afraid of; some of her lines have even gotten me snickering, like the time she told Duran and Angela to get a room). I'm pretty much caught up to the LP (playing pretty much literally every waking hour for two days straight will do that).

I've found that Dark Duran is... kind of ridiculously good. He might not be an offensive monster on par with Kevin or Hawkeye at baseline, but he's absurdly tanky. Like, I'm only slightly higher level than Nat (pretty sure I'm at 39-ish as of this post?), and he's already got nearly 700 HP (666 last time I looked)... without any boosts. Plus he's got Provoke to make enemies target him more often, and a "regain 10% HP on kill" ability to keep him topped off. His offensive shortcomings can be compensated for with his Sabers, and he's got a support skill in his Dark classes which makes his Sabers more expensive to cast, but gives him a 15% damage boost while they're active for a bit of extra kick. Combine all that with him being the character I control most of the time and the ability to regain MP by hitting things (borrowed from Angela, of course), and he approaches "perpetual motion machine" levels of sustainability, while maintaining an excellent offense.

Angela is... well, Angela. Only real thing to make note of with her is that I decided to unlock as many spells as possible as soon as I could, so I learned basically all her tier 1 spells before I even unlocked their respective elementals; however, I've only started learning the + versions recently, since I was too busy learning the next spell to improve what I'd already unlocked. The tradeoffs of foreknowledge, I guess. Oh, and I'm not using that "spells cost HP but are stronger" skill on mine because, quite frankly, the AI has enough trouble staying alive without adding self-inflicted damage to its problems.

Dark Charlotte... seems like she could be pretty fun to play, actually. Her summons certainly seem to hold up even with Angela's spells exploding everything, and her healing spells make a decent safety net in case I run out of healing during a bad fight. I might actually pick her as the leader in my next run.

I've pretty much decided I'll be going Dark-Light for everyone; unless they've changed the spell lists around, that should give me the biggest possible coverage for Sabers (literally everything but Light castable at will), and I can use items for Light Saber if I need to.

Bit of a tip in combat: Even after class change, my favorite strategy is "spam the knockdown attack until they stagger or fall, then use the standard combo until they get back up, repeat until dead." It's kinda hard for enemies to fight back when they're too busy being on the wrong end of an impromptu game of Whack-A-Mole. Of course, if you don't wanna cheese the generic enemies, you don't need to follow my example.

Regarding that cutscene at the end of the latest update: I'm pretty sure that Faerie was right in front of your entire party; how did they not see whoever took her?! Did your partners just spontaneously stop existing for the duration of that event?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The votes are in!

We'll be taking Riesz as a Vanadis, Hawkeye as a Ninja Master and Angela as a Magus

This is one of the most unexpectedly cool results we could have got. There's a lot of synergy to this party in the original and I'm looking to see if it's as good here.

We'll be going to the God Beast of Wind first and the the Benevedon of Fire

I'll see how many episodes that gives me and then hopefully run by you guys with another vote next week!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I farmed those Wormwood demons in Nevarl for a while when i hit this point in the game to try to get ??? seeds. After about 20 minutes i had only 1.

Swapped to the Werewolves in Moon Tower afterwords, spent another 20 minutes or so and got 3 more.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I've beaten a couple Benevodons, and am currently trying to calm myself down after a TPK on my third. On the lowest difficulty. When I outlevelled him.

Basically, brace yourself. Benevodons do NOT play fair.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

You are also guaranteed one ??? seed in each of the benevedon dungeons (which also guarantee one of each class change item when planted), so you could always dip into them to collect the treasure and run back out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey everyone! I've got recordings in for the Wind, Fire and Moon Benevedons.

Looking for input on the next 3!

So please pick out which ones you'd like to see me tackle next from Ice, Light, Nature and Earth

If you could please format your votes as such and I'll take them into account for the next recording!

1. Ice
2. Nature
3. Earth

I will take each of these votes as a SEPERATE vote for the Benevedon in that position. So your choice for the Ice Benevedon at 2 would only impact the second Benevedon I tackle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
1. Nature
2. Ice
3. Earth

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
1. Earth
2. Ice
3. Light

Unrelated: Did they ever explain why there is no Benevodon linked to Shade? It seems weird to me that there are 8 elementals, but only 7 Benevodons.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pea posted:

Unrelated: Did they ever explain why there is no Benevodon linked to Shade? It seems weird to me that there are 8 elementals, but only 7 Benevodons.

They were sealed in the manastones. On the boat Shade said that the Manastone of Darkness is missing. Back in the beforetimes people tried to harness the mana power but then began fighting over it. The darkness in their hearts awoke the Darkstone and the monsters within it, including the Benevodon, escaped. How it was stopped is unknown but the Darkstone disappeared with it.

As for my vote:
1. Nature
2. Nature
3. Nature

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Bruceski posted:

How it was stopped is unknown but the Darkstone disappeared with it.

Pretty sure it's explained in at least one route that the Darkstone got sent to Mavolia (Hell, for those of you not familiar with Mana lore) somehow, and the Dark Benevodon got dragged along with it. Probably involved a few human sacrifices to pull off, knowing this game.

Anyway, I'm gonna vote like this:
1. Light
2. Earth
3. Ice

Incidentally, right now the only Benevodon I haven't beaten yet is Nature. Ice was a chump that I roflstomped before I got the items for my second class changes, with training points unassigned. I kinda overcompensated after losing to Moon, though, so I'm pretty massively overlevelled now. Looking forward to a run that isn't 20-ish levels above the bosses!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CptWedgie posted:

Pretty sure it's explained in at least one route that the Darkstone got sent to Mavolia (Hell, for those of you not familiar with Mana lore) somehow, and the Dark Benevodon got dragged along with it. Probably involved a few human sacrifices to pull off, knowing this game.

Belladonna and Malocchio (Fun fact his name is Italian for Evil Eye. Taking after his JP name Earl of the Evil Eye) state earlier that his Dark Majesty used up his remaining power and died to send the Darkstone back to the human realm from Mavolia.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I do wonder how the fan translation got to Jagan from Malocchio.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I do wonder how the fan translation got to Jagan from Malocchio.

IIRC in the Trials of Mana thread it was mentioned the Malocchio is originally named "Jagan no Hakushaku" ("Count Of the Evil") Eye in Japanese, so the translator just picked up part of that name and left it untranslated.

The same happened to the Crimson Wizard, who was originally was named "Kouren no Madoushi" ("Wizard of the Red Lotus"?) which got shortened to Kouren.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goremand meanwhile was "death eating man."

The villains in the original did not seem to have proper names.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 31, 2020

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I will always like the name Death Jester more than Goremand.

Anyway:

Nature
Light
Light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Weeble posted:

I will always like the name Death Jester more than Goremand.

Anyway:

Nature
Light
Light

I like Goremand more. Cause it actually works as a clever translation of his name.