Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

I tried to get a softer crust once by wrapping some freshly baked loaves in towels, figuring it would steam it a bit. That just made it a very oddly tough crust and not really that soft, As you said it's probably better to let it cool naturally first.

Anyway, what's a good yeast proportion for a no-knead style bread? I know it probably depends a lot on the rising/proofing timetable. I've been letting it rise until quite poofy (maybe 1-2 hours), then refrigerating. Then when I bake I take it out, let it come to temp (maybe 1-2 hours), shape and final proof. The King Arthur recipe (https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe) I'm loosely basing my loaves off of uses 14g yeast per 1600g dough, which is quite high compared to a lot of other recipes.

For general no knead with a 12-18 hour rise I use 1/4tsp to about 5-600g flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

I tried to get a softer crust once by wrapping some freshly baked loaves in towels, figuring it would steam it a bit. That just made it a very oddly tough crust and not really that soft, As you said it's probably better to let it cool naturally first.

Anyway, what's a good yeast proportion for a no-knead style bread? I know it probably depends a lot on the rising/proofing timetable. I've been letting it rise until quite poofy (maybe 1-2 hours), then refrigerating. Then when I bake I take it out, let it come to temp (maybe 1-2 hours), shape and final proof. The King Arthur recipe (https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe) I'm loosely basing my loaves off of uses 14g yeast per 1600g dough, which is quite high compared to a lot of other recipes.

As you say it depends on your fermentation schedule. I mean yeast doubles with every generation so starting small isn’t that big of a deal if you don’t need bread in ten minutes, especially for a lean dough. I’d put in a quarter of that and you’d be fine.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
On a tip from a coworker I did a secondary rise in the microwave with a large vessel of boiling water

It came out well I hope

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Very pretty! Yeah, the microwave makes a great proofing box.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What would happen if you took a very basic no-knead country bread recipe and put it into a loaf pan instead of plopping it onto a cookie sheet? I had pretty good results with Chef John's country recipe, but it came out a little more fat and "rustic" than I'd like.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I haven't posted any pics but I just stood in my kitchen at 2am and quietly ate a jambon beurre with prosciutto di Parma and my first King Arthur pain de levain and felt a feeling that was honestly inexpressible. Bread is good.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

prayer group posted:

I haven't posted any pics but I just stood in my kitchen at 2am and quietly ate a jambon beurre with prosciutto di Parma and my first King Arthur pain de levain and felt a feeling that was honestly inexpressible. Bread is good.

I have also done this

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

What would happen if you took a very basic no-knead country bread recipe and put it into a loaf pan instead of plopping it onto a cookie sheet? I had pretty good results with Chef John's country recipe, but it came out a little more fat and "rustic" than I'd like.

It'll be fine just be aware whatever part is inside the pan won't really brown as much. You can wait until the bread is mostly done and pop the pan off so the sides and bottom get a chance to brown too if you want the crust to be even the whole way round.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lester Shy posted:

If you have a cast iron crock pot try tossing the dough into that, when the crock pot is already warm. I get great boules that way. I take off the cover half way.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you have a cast iron crock pot try tossing the dough into that, when the crock pot is already warm. I get great boules that way. I take off the cover half way.

The put the dough in a cold pot and put into a cold oven and heat to 450 works surprisingly well. Remove the lid after 30 minutes and bake until internal temp is 205-210.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

I've been doing this all quarantine, since loaf bread is more generally useful with two kids and the overnight no-knead rise uses practically no yeast (though that issue may have lessened depending on where you live).

I've found that, where dutch oven no-knead wants to cook at 450, you really can't go that hot in loaf pans because your top will scorch before the interior finishes. My go-to for two standard loaf pans has been 1100 g of flour, 78-80% hydration, overnight rise, then second rise in greased loaf pans. Then around 45 minutes at 350-375 degrees. Pop them out to cool on a rack and you should be good to go.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Huxley posted:

I've been doing this all quarantine, since loaf bread is more generally useful with two kids and the overnight no-knead rise uses practically no yeast (though that issue may have lessened depending on where you live).

I've found that, where dutch oven no-knead wants to cook at 450, you really can't go that hot in loaf pans because your top will scorch before the interior finishes. My go-to for two standard loaf pans has been 1100 g of flour, 78-80% hydration, overnight rise, then second rise in greased loaf pans. Then around 45 minutes at 350-375 degrees. Pop them out to cool on a rack and you should be good to go.

This is similar to what I do, though I tend to do enriched doughs at ~ 375 and lean doughs 375-400.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No matter the recipe I've used my dough consistently explodes out of my Pullman pan.

Under proofing vs over proofing don't seem to matter.

I'm using recipes specially for this dimension loaf pan, but there is always a pile of extruded dough when I check the bake.

Is this just Pullman pan things?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

toplitzin posted:

No matter the recipe I've used my dough consistently explodes out of my Pullman pan.

I'm using recipes specially for this dimension loaf pan, but there is always a pile of extruded dough when I check the bake.

Are you using cup measures or using a scale to measure?

I was following a recipe that called for 3.5c flour (418 grams). I measured it out as cups and then out of curiosity put it on the scale. It measured 560 grams.

So, if you are using cup measures you could have significantly more dough than you think.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I saw a food blogger recommending Lodge cast-iron loaf pans. Unsurprisingly, she has an affiliate link, so. Is there any advantage to heavy heat-retaining pans for sandwich loaves, or is the usual thin Teflon-lined kind better?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Sounds like size of recipe things. I haven't ever had issues with it popping the top off.

Post the recipes. Also, what size pan are you using? For a 9x4x4 pullman, 800g and a 13x4x4 1100g is about spot on for a loaf that fills the pan but isn't so large it causes issues with the crumb or I guess popping the lid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw a food blogger recommending Lodge cast-iron loaf pans. Unsurprisingly, she has an affiliate link, so. Is there any advantage to heavy heat-retaining pans for sandwich loaves, or is the usual thin Teflon-lined kind better?

Imo, neither. You want something sturdy that won't easily deform, but light enough to not be a pain to use. I really like the USA Pans.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/USA+Pan/page/D6278A43-59AD-4BF4-BB78-57B42EAC7436?ref_=ast_bln

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Should you be using Teflon coated stuff to bake with? I thought high heat is a no no with non stick.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Should you be using Teflon coated stuff to bake with? I thought high heat is a no no with non stick.

Teflon is supposed to be safe up to 500F. Most loaves you'd use a pan for are gonna top out at 425-450F or so.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Imo, neither. You want something sturdy that won't easily deform, but light enough to not be a pain to use. I really like the USA Pans.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/USA+Pan/page/D6278A43-59AD-4BF4-BB78-57B42EAC7436?ref_=ast_bln

Argh, I didn't say what I meant. "Thin" as compared to cast iron.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Murgos posted:

Are you using cup measures or using a scale to measure?

I was following a recipe that called for 3.5c flour (418 grams). I measured it out as cups and then out of curiosity put it on the scale. It measured 560 grams.

So, if you are using cup measures you could have significantly more dough than you think.

Grams forever.

Casu Marzu posted:

Sounds like size of recipe things. I haven't ever had issues with it popping the top off.

Post the recipes. Also, what size pan are you using? For a 9x4x4 pullman, 800g and a 13x4x4 1100g is about spot on for a loaf that fills the pan but isn't so large it causes issues with the crumb or I guess popping the lid.

13*4*4 pan

Most recent recipe:

code:
152g milk
227g water
85g butter
15g salt
35g sugar
28g skim milk powder
35g potato flour
567g All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
Previous to that was a half batch of:

Next try was going to be:

Edit: I forgot to mention it's not blowing the top off, but extruding a good sized ribbon of dough out the end. :)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 29, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Challah at ya boy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was somewhat confused this morning (migraine drugs) and forgot to soak the lid of the bread crock for 15 minutes. Now I know what a big big difference the soaked top makes to the quality of the crust. This is a perfectly great bread, but the crust isn't crisp at all.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Much more successful sourdough boule than last time, although greaseproof paper is not a substitute for baking parchment and some stuck to the bottom. Link to a gallery of progress on the image. Makes a great pastrami sandwich.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What's that sourdough cracker recipie everyone's using? I seem to remember one that was moslty discard but can't find it now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

King Arthur Flour. If you've got it, use coarse sea salt, which adds a a nice extra crunch.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I use this one which is I guess pretty similar but it uses 1/4 cup olive oil instead of half a stick of butter, which I like. Very easy to add whatever flavors you want.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m making the King Arthur one today, but am going to try chopped fresh rosemary instead of dried rosemary since that’s the only rosemary I have. I’m assuming it will still be good.

Update: the crackers have been out of the oven for a couple minutes and half of them have been eaten. drat they’re good.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 30, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I always use fresh rosemary, too. But yeah, drat, they're good. BTW, if you own a pasta maker, rolling the dough out with the pasta maker is way way easier than trying to get an even thickness, at least for me.

e: How do you store 50 pounds of flour? Is there a standard restaurant container size that it fits, or do I find 2 25s, or what? I used most of a 30-pound Costco bag in a month, so I splurged and bought the smallest size of King Arthur Special Patent. A lot of the reviews from one bakery site say that this flour doesn't absorb much water; I'm hoping that this is that site's storage methods causing problems, nothing inherent to the flour. Experimentation!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 30, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Buckets with the twisty seal tops. Maybe an 8 gallon will fit 50# but im not too sure. I have not found a 50lber in a while but thats what I store my whole grain in.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I use a big Rubbermaid that fits in our cupboard and holds exactly a 50lb sack

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Found in a hardware store or a restaurant supply store?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

large hands posted:

I use a big Rubbermaid that fits in our cupboard and holds exactly a 50lb sack

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I made a pumpkin bread

I need to get better at scoring the loaf but I can make a consistent loaf now

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Found in a hardware store or a restaurant supply store?

Absolutely not from a restaurant supply store lol

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
No problems with not food grade? Pooping blood?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcwfEMdV-aM

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

maybe if i was brewing beer in it or something, i dunno man we're surrounded by plastic. i dont worry too much about dry flour touching it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: How do you store 50 pounds of flour?

Two 5 gallon buckets. That way one can stay in the kitchen and the other can stay in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

God that takes me back.