Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yea the default terraforming AI is not great, it's one of the reasons the AI can't really compete in the late game. There's a couple different way to optimize it (Vel's guide goes over it, with separate sections for the early and middle game), but the short answer is ensure you have enough nutrients for growth, plant forests early and often, and lean into the bonus resources you find.

I think I'm doing pretty good in that area given that I'm locked to a single island at the moment. really in this game the only players with huge open lands are Spartans (anthonypants) and Believers (Boiled Water). imo the Believers should be booming right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Also it's been mentioned before but there is certainly room for peeps to run a parallel game in this thread. This main game has been running for >2 years now and as Glorgnole has mentioned we're confident the thread can handle more than one game 😁

If you want to run a game the following helps:

Would be wicked to see some more games in the thread.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i would play again, if people wanted to do another game :unsmith:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Also it's been mentioned before but there is certainly room for peeps to run a parallel game in this thread. This main game has been running for >2 years now and as Glorgnole has mentioned we're confident the thread can handle more than one game 😁

If you want to run a game the following helps:

Would be wicked to see some more games in the thread.

there are some things i would set up differently for a new game:
  • use a map specifically designed for balanced multiplayer. for our game, i had to generate about 15 maps to find some where the starting situation didn't completely suck for one or more players, and even after that some factions definitely had more-advantageous starts. in particular, i think the University's continent is much drier than other parts of the map, which has really hindered their growth. in contrast, the Pirates have an excellent start adjacent to the enormous Monsoon Jungle, which Smoka swore off for essentially philosophical reasons. i don't know how balanced the predefined Map of Planet scenarios are, but there are other maps people have made which are available for download on the various forums.

• find a way to accelerate or skip the first 50 turns while still making sure everyone has a balanced start. the built-in accelerated start option is apparently quite bad at this. might be an opportunity for some gamemaster scenario editing beforehand.

• try to schedule some times when people can be online concurrently. we've had a couple very efficient saturdays where we got through everyone within 24 hours, but that's still not great when you only have 1 or 2 units to move. there's also some sort of direct-connection multiplayer option (as opposed to the play-by-email mode we're using) but i've never tried it before. i think it's possible to have a mix of human and AI players, so that could be a reasonable compromise to reduce the number of players each turn has to visit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thread lurker here, expressing interest in getting in on a second game if one should get started.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I'm down for a game. It'll be fun when we get our wires crossed and start trash talking at people playing in the other game.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
make a new thread for the new game imo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

there are some things i would set up differently for a new game:
  • use a map specifically designed for balanced multiplayer. for our game, i had to generate about 15 maps to find some where the starting situation didn't completely suck for one or more players, and even after that some factions definitely had more-advantageous starts. in particular, i think the University's continent is much drier than other parts of the map, which has really hindered their growth. in contrast, the Pirates have an excellent start adjacent to the enormous Monsoon Jungle, which Smoka swore off for essentially philosophical reasons. i don't know how balanced the predefined Map of Planet scenarios are, but there are other maps people have made which are available for download on the various forums.

thinking more on this even the best map could unbalanced if player starting locations aren't ideal. this is kinda the case for our game:

• hive (myself) and drones (Improbable Lobster) both started on the same medium-sized island and by turn ~75 we'd already run out of space (could have been interesting i guess if we hadn't opted for a pact)
  • gaians (Glorgnole) started on their own very fertile medium-sized island where they were able to boom and now lead in population by miles
  • Spartans (anthonypants) and Believers (Boiled Water) were the only ones who started on the largest continent on the map which could have easily accomodated 4 players

not super-bad but certainly not balanced. the best method to resolve this would be to set static start locations in the scenario editor i guess

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
handmade yosmap for yosmac2.0

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

handmade yosmap for yosmac2.0

in the darkness something goes *sned*

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah honestly I think you'd have to start with a designed map and fixed starts, the map generation in this game is abysmal. I'll volunteer to grind away until I get something balanced-ish if there's enough interest for a second game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glorgnole posted:

in the darkness something goes *sned*

this is the thread title for the new thread

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

badass:

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1269132242888073217

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i like to put forests literally everywhere and build treefarms/hybrids to take advantage, because it looks nice

I cannot play this game any other way. Green Planet is the only path.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

smoka got blacksited for anime posting so the sacred duty of sharing punk shanties falls to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbRQgrOnErc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

looks like the election wasn't actually triggered yet. i didn't kick it off this turn, though someone else can start it if they want. i've decided that i'm not going to vote for myself unless my only opponent is the Spartans.

i just played my turn as hive for MY 2219 and tried to call the election however it's too early apparently. normally you have to wait 20 years to call the election except if you're planetary governor then you only have to wait 10 years. the last election was in MY 2208 which is when i was elected so i should have been able to call it. i'll try again next turn.

edit: should have taken a screenshot of it to post so that no unscrupulous individuals can accuse me of lying :lol:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i just played my turn as hive for MY 2219 and tried to call the election however it's too early apparently. normally you have to wait 20 years to call the election except if you're planetary governor then you only have to wait 10 years. the last election was in MY 2208 which is when i was elected so i should have been able to call it. i'll try again next turn.

edit: should have taken a screenshot of it to post so that no unscrupulous individuals can accuse me of lying :lol:

i did a rough population head-count and i think the Spartans are back up to 2nd place now, so since you're currently governor you might want to hold off on calling the election for another 10 turns lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

as a contingency back-up plan, at least some of the posters from here are in the yoscord so that's probably a good place to keep talking about SMAC stuff if the forums go away. i'm going to try to stream a turn there, to see if such a thing can work.

in any case i've got email addresses for all the players so that should be able to keep going without any more disruption than usual.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
yo glorg feel free to take my turn this round

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

yo glorg feel free to take my turn this round

can do!

what would you like me to do from, like, a strategic perspective

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Such a shame there are no planet busters on the board yet...

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

can do!

what would you like me to do from, like, a strategic perspective

i just went ahead and did it and it ended up being p self-explanatory

the only thing that happened of note is that your colony pod triggered a fungal bloom which created a 2nd spore tower

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's worms all the way down!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
goddamn worms :rrr:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Glorgnole posted:

i just went ahead and did it and it ended up being p self-explanatory

the only thing that happened of note is that your colony pod triggered a fungal bloom which created a 2nd spore tower

yeah i figured it wouldn't be too hard lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i was going to try to ~livestream~ my next turn on the yospos discord. looks like friday evening will work OK for me, probably ~7pm US Central. come on by to critique my v poor strategic decisions!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

i was going to try to ~livestream~ my next turn on the yospos discord. looks like friday evening will work OK for me, probably ~7pm US Central. come on by to critique my v poor strategic decisions!

you still doin it? i'm down

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you still doin it? i'm down

already did it, soz. i recorded it for posterity, though!

lessons for me for the future:
- be better at scheduling good times w/ other people
- find more ways to make moving 3 units interesting and engaging

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Post and link that action?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's uploading! totally unedited raw smac footage!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

here ya go, mission year 2221 in VIDEO !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dp5firAql8

there were only a few things that needed to be moved, so it's a kind of meandering undirected turn.

i didn't click through all the intel report screens, but i'll make sure to do that next time. i did remember to scroll across the whole map though, so if someone's been wanting to stitch together a mosaic of the current game state you can totally do that now!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

here ya go, mission year 2221 in VIDEO !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dp5firAql8

there were only a few things that needed to be moved, so it's a kind of meandering undirected turn.

i didn't click through all the intel report screens, but i'll make sure to do that next time. i did remember to scroll across the whole map though, so if someone's been wanting to stitch together a mosaic of the current game state you can totally do that now!

this is a huge smac game, I'm not sure any other has been played like this

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

As much as I love this game I don't think I've ever watched someone play it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

already did it, soz. i recorded it for posterity, though!

lessons for me for the future:
- be better at scheduling good times w/ other people
- find more ways to make moving 3 units interesting and engaging

drat MISSED IT! next time can you post the time in UTC so that it's easier for peeps like me in west aus to tune in? :P

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

inspired by Glorgnole i recorded my turn as Hive for MY 2220. it's about as thrilling as you'd expect :lol:

https://pileofgarbage.net/misc/yospos_smac_pbem_hive_my2220.mp4

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 19, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ah crap, i've caught space-corona:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Fedor Petrov, Vice Provost for University Affairs posted:

The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!"

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

fortunately mask compliance is really straightforward when you can't survive outside without a rebreather!

the random events preferentially target factions that are doing well, so dubious congratulations

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

update for anyone watching: we're still playing lol. imo we should aim to finish the game before 2060 which is when the UN Unity was launched in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

send the game save in a probe to alpha centauri imho