Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

WampaLord posted:

A significant portion of the population is going to get sick

I enjoyed grocery shopping in person too, I enjoyed a whole lot of things we used to be able to do. Welcome to the world.

i hate shopping in general but extremely hate grocery shopping. there are plenty of things i miss but shopping of any kind isnt one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

this guy reads my posts

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

FistEnergy posted:

2nd wave going super great guys

heh is it even a second wave if the first wave didn't even hit some of these areas yet

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

COVID-420 posted:

probably worth mentioning that Dr. John Murray, who was a key figure in defining, understanding and treating ARDS, died this year of Covid-19 caused ARDS

sad

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I used to do all my grocery shopping as late as possible. Now every store closes at 7 or 8. It loving sucks!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Flu is pretty deadly this year

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

2DCAT posted:

Flu is pretty deadly this year
the pneumonia numbers are specifically flu exclusive

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rah! posted:

did my weekly grocery mission

traffic is pretty much back to normal, but the stores i went to are still taking all the same precautions as the past few weeks, thankfully,. Masks required, limited number of customers at a time, every cart getting disinfected in front of you before you grab it, plastic barriers at the registers, marks to help you distance properly in line, and even an offer of more hand sanitizer when you leave. The line to get in the store was the shortest its been since the pandemic started. I waited less than a minute, compared to 15-60+ minutes the last several times i went.

And despite the heatwave, the park/lake was barely more crowded than a typical weekend, rather than jam packed like the past few times i passed by. Still more crowded than a typical week day, but way better. lol I guess everyone got called back to work :sad:
trader joes seems like the only store that gives a poo poo tbf

but yeah i had to drive to a construction site in SF yesterday and traffic in the morning at 7am was basically a normal rush hour, and coming back was about the same being backed up all the way to caesar chavez. feels good to have normalcy restored. open er UP

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

COVID-420 posted:

probably worth mentioning that Dr. John Murray, who was a key figure in defining, understanding and treating ARDS, died this year of Covid-19 caused ARDS

I used to enjoy his writings on ARDblog

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

WampaLord posted:

A significant portion of the population is going to get sick

I enjoyed grocery shopping in person too, I enjoyed a whole lot of things we used to be able to do. Welcome to the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24z6eCe7abY

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat

magiccarpet posted:

not gonna lie i love when the dirt bike gangs show up and pop wheelies for. a day

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

The excess deaths stats in March had covid diagnoses missing something like 30% deaths that were probably attributable to it, and we can be drat sure the south and a lot of the Midwest is intentionally undercounting as it ramped up there. 200% is probably too high but we have to be at at least 160k excess dead by end of May (in a few months I can look back at this post and see if I'm right )

well those 4 states have a combined 10,000 uncounted deaths, so i just extrapolated from there. Also consider those reports from a month or two ago about how death rates in certain areas (Bergamo is one i remember specifically) were 4 times higher than at the same point last year, but with most of them not counted as corona deaths....just a ton of extra deaths from "old age" and heart failure and pneumonia and whatnot, at the same time as the pandemic that wrecks old people's poo poo and causes heart failure and pneumonia, how mysterious

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

I used to do all my grocery shopping as late as possible. Now every store closes at 7 or 8. It loving sucks!

:same:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

but yeah i had to drive to a construction site in SF yesterday and traffic in the morning at 7am was basically a normal rush hour, and coming back was about the same being backed up all the way to caesar chavez. feels good to have normalcy restored. open er UP

yeah i went to trader joes

also the weed store, because weed helps me breath lol :hellyeah:

but yeah safeway sucks rear end they started half assing the rules like one week into the lockdown, also they're the ones with the distribution center with dozens of infected employees :911:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I got chewed out in the LA thread for suggesting that maybe it sucks that we're not social-distance spreading human shoppers and workers out into all possible hours of the day, instead of vastly cutting worker/store hours until they're limited to during peak times during the day only just because demand dropped

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can you imagine the horror show in late August when schools reopen

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

hahaha

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol over 1500 deaths today and less than 100 of them were from NY.

:argh: But HER email server! :argh:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Feral kids running wild through the halls, struggling to remember basic skills like sitting down and listening to the teacher. Teachers openly chugging wine coolers in the class, forgetting they're not on Zoom. Parents abandoning their kids for weeks at a time at school to make up for lost time. It will be glorious.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I got chewed out in the LA thread for suggesting that maybe it sucks that we're not social-distance spreading human shoppers and workers out into all possible hours of the day, instead of vastly cutting worker/store hours until they're limited to during peak times during the day only just because demand dropped

yeah i thought it'd be neat to have, like, little tokens or something for designated shopping hours/days. like make an appointment to go to the grocery store. that way the store would know who was coming in and could staff appropriately.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

this is why i said “im eventually gonna get it”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Traffic here in ORLO is almost back to what it was before the March/April shutdown.

Also the big tourist traps like Universal and Disney are planning to open up in June and July.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

The worst part is the only people who are gonna dodge the tsunami are going to be the assholes at twitter and Facebook and wherever that are single dorks who have no interests and just work from home forever . Everyone else will be hosed

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

euphronius posted:

Bro let me tell you about the insane loving ideas that have come up wrt opening schools...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
haha we are so hosed. i just heard about a fourth restaurant in town that's had a COVID this week; the 2nd to not report it and is just staying the gently caress open (neighbor kid works down the street at Taco John's)

Its not even like I'm particularly connected to the industry, and dining rooms have only been open in my county since Friday, and there's only like 200k people in the metro....

just completely, utterly hosed lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Major scandals do not exist in the post escalator world. We're barely a week away from Trump firing an inspector General and openly announcing it was because the person being investigated asked him to and no one even remembers it happened.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

haha we are so hosed. i just heard about a fourth restaurant in town that's had a COVID this week; the 2nd to not report it and is just staying the gently caress open (neighbor kid works down the street at Taco John's)

Its not even like I'm particularly connected to the industry, and dining rooms have only been open in my county since Friday, and there's only like 200k people in the metro....

just completely, utterly hosed lmao

The governor trusts us to make the right decisions.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah i thought it'd be neat to have, like, little tokens or something for designated shopping hours/days. like make an appointment to go to the grocery store. that way the store would know who was coming in and could staff appropriately.

i thought this is what we were gonna get

lots of little innovations and creative ways to keep life going safely, but instead we got bullshit. are we just totally afraid of creating and growing?

back in march i even got to design a few concepts for stuff like this. my favorite was "night at the museum", where we make museums appointment only and keep some going for 24 hours a day. wandering through a nearly empty Met Museum at 3am in the morning would be badass

but all of those concepts were dependent on getting a shitload of monetary support for institutions from the government. instead, that 3 trillion or whatever went straight into the hands of the ultra rich. now we'll be lucky if America has any museums left. so maybe we're not afraid of creating and growing. we're just so strangled by capital that creative solutions are impossible.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Grem posted:

Bro let me tell you about the insane loving ideas that have come up wrt opening schools...

the last union zoom meeting about this was incredible to watch as they listed ideas and everyone increasingly lol'd

all-staff meeting tomorrow is gonna be great

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

COVID-420 posted:

i thought this is what we were gonna get

lots of little innovations and creative ways to keep life going safely, but instead we got bullshit. are we just totally afraid of creating and growing?

back in march i even got to design a few concepts for stuff like this. my favorite was "night at the museum", where we make museums appointment only and keep some going for 24 hours a day. wandering through a nearly empty Met Museum at 3am in the morning would be badass

but all of those concepts were dependent on getting a shitload of monetary support for institutions from the government. instead, that 3 trillion or whatever went straight into the hands of the ultra rich. now we'll be lucky if America has any museums left. so maybe we're not afraid of creating and growing. we're just so strangled by capital that creative solutions are impossible.

capitalism has no solutions beyond "go to work, spend what you earn, possibly die, but maybe you won't, either way the real humans keep getting rich"

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Old, tired: Contagion future, Brave New World future, Children of Men future, Idiocracy future
New, hot: Girl With All the Gifts future

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jon Irenicus posted:

the last union zoom meeting about this was incredible to watch as they listed ideas and everyone increasingly lol'd

Can you post the ideas? The more the better, I want to hear them all

We all know schools are going to open 100% as normal by labor day at the latest with zero effort to actually preventing covid spread beyond impossible to follow guidelines

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Jon Irenicus posted:

Give us a few examples!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my local schools districts current idea is the teachers will teach kids that show up but also teach kids that don’t show up via online modules

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mastershakeman posted:

The worst part is the only people who are gonna dodge the tsunami are going to be the assholes at twitter and Facebook and wherever that are single dorks who have no interests and just work from home forever . Everyone else will be hosed

NEET supremacy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

im a covid girl
in a covid world
i live on plastic
and chromecast sticks
i live in your hair
and dresses everywhere
the covid nation
that is my creation

come on covid, lets get covid

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

my local schools districts current idea is the teachers will teach kids that show up but also teach kids that don’t show up via online modules

lol what the gently caress

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my apartment's building management just sent in random people to do maintenance. in the middle of a pandemic. i'm gonna be a freakin' superspreader errybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
My daycare is laying out how they want to reopen in July and it's wild