Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

COVID-420 posted:

i thought this is what we were gonna get

lots of little innovations and creative ways to keep life going safely, but instead we got bullshit. are we just totally afraid of creating and growing?

This is America; the greatest country to ever exist in human history. What that means is as soon as you achieve greatness you just put the car in neutral and coast. No need to ever improve upon or innovate ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rah! posted:

lol what the gently caress

they aren’t going to force any kids to come to school but will still be open ???

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
betsy devos is trying to use corona as an excuse to shovel shitloads of federal money that public schools desperately need directly into the hands of fundie millionaires and tradcath neonazis who own private schools

but the public schools are telling her to gently caress OFF :twisted:

quote:

DeVos Demands Public Schools Share Pandemic Aid With Private Institutions

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos says she will force public school superintendents to share coronavirus rescue funds with private schools, some of which are facing ruin.

WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, defiant amid criticism that she is using the coronavirus to pursue a long-sought agenda, said she would force public school districts to spend a large portion of federal rescue funding on private school students, regardless of income.

Ms. DeVos announced the measure in a letter to the Council of Chief State School Officers, which represents state education chiefs, defending her position on how education funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act, should be spent.

A range of education officials say Ms. DeVos’s guidance would divert millions of dollars from disadvantaged students and force districts starved of tax revenues during an economic crisis to support even the wealthiest private schools. The association representing the nation’s schools superintendents told districts to ignore the guidance, and at least two states — Indiana and Maine — said they would.

i hope all teachers reserve a special enmity for ms. devos

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

haha we are so hosed. i just heard about a fourth restaurant in town that's had a COVID this week; the 2nd to not report it and is just staying the gently caress open (neighbor kid works down the street at Taco John's)

Its not even like I'm particularly connected to the industry, and dining rooms have only been open in my county since Friday, and there's only like 200k people in the metro....

just completely, utterly hosed lmao

where's that at?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

the last union zoom meeting about this was incredible to watch as they listed ideas and everyone increasingly lol'd

all-staff meeting tomorrow is gonna be great

since im at a non-union charter we’re not allowed to discuss things like “pay” and “benefits” and “safety” with our fellow teachers, so im curious to know what these meetings are like, the general sentiment etc. when teachers dont have to fear getting fired for no good reason

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Lmao

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1265806243521802241?s=19

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

mastershakeman posted:

Can you post the ideas? The more the better, I want to hear them all

We all know schools are going to open 100% as normal by labor day at the latest with zero effort to actually preventing covid spread beyond impossible to follow guidelines

creating plexiglass "sneezeguards" attached to students desk and forbidding group work
shutting down the cafeteria and all gym activities
spacing kids six feet apart within their normal classes (lmao)
teaching within the auditorium in a lecture format and make masks mandatory
one day on, one day off and other derivatives (week on, week off)

the one that got the most vocal guffaws was to create two school "shifts" - one 8-1 and one 2-7

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Lol the state of Iowa is loving boned

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

My daycare is laying out how they want to reopen in July and it's wild

Details details details

My 4 year olds preschool on seesaw sucks, and my friend said his 5th and 2nd grader are on it too in Illinois and are done with lessons in like an hour . Also his youngest has severe peanut and milk allergies so lol at the idea of serving lunches in his classroom (he just won't attend I guess)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Well that certainly is an answer as to why Florida's mortality is lower than places with half the cases.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jon Irenicus posted:

the one that got the most vocal guffaws was to create two school "shifts" - one 8-1 and one 2-7

Lmaoooooo

Most of the rest of those were the unworkable cdc recs but good lord

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

creating plexiglass "sneezeguards" attached to students desk and forbidding group work
shutting down the cafeteria and all gym activities
spacing kids six feet apart within their normal classes (lmao)
teaching within the auditorium in a lecture format and make masks mandatory
one day on, one day off and other derivatives (week on, week off)

those are all cdc iirc

can you imagine no group work lmao . it’s insane

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Gio posted:

since im at a non-union charter we’re not allowed to discuss things like “pay” and “benefits” and “safety” with our fellow teachers, so im curious to know what these meetings are like, the general sentiment etc. when teachers dont have to fear getting fired for no good reason

the rank and file are feeling pretty froggy - our town just slashed the budget anyway so we've been bracing for the next contract fight regardless, attitudes of "weather the storm" are slowly becoming "we aren't going to take this"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
8-1 and 2-7 is just like why even reopen? Parents can't work around that so just keep doing "distance learning" and the kids can hang out at playgrounds or whatever

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lpzie posted:

im a covid girl
in a covid world
i live on plastic
and chromecast sticks
i live in your hair
and dresses everywhere
the covid nation
that is my creation

come on covid, lets get covid

what is lung
baby dont hurt me
dont hurt me no more

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

2024 candidates campaigning via tablets attached to Segways in suits, rolling through crowds of people at the state fair that are oblivious to the piles of bodies around them

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

euphronius posted:

those are all cdc iirc

can you imagine no group work lmao . it’s insane

im supposed to teach a new class next year and ive been told not to bother creating any new material for it since it might need to conform to new guidelines like no group work / fulltime distance learning

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
i think sneezeguard/mask dining (and disney world and pretty much everything) is way worse than just popping a bottle of slightly fancier wine (real glass bottles!) and having a big elaborate meal at home

very interested in the psyche of these ppl who desire a sad and pale imitation of life in the before-times

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the only way to do it double or triple the number of teachers and schools nationwide

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

they aren’t going to force any kids to come to school but will still be open ???

luv 2 make teachers work twice as much while unnecessarily exposing them and some of their kids to the hell plague, instead of just having everyone continue to stay at home lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Rah! posted:

what is lung
baby dont hurt me
dont hurt me no more

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zberan Madowinty posted:

where's that at?

Taco John's on Ingersoll

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Ruteybaga/status/1265296876359888902

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rah! posted:

luv 2 make teachers work twice as much while unnecessarily exposing them and some of their kids to the hell plague, instead of just having everyone continue to stay at home lol

staying home so also bad !! many kids aren’t learning anything m, the effects are radically disproportionate on poor kids, they are missing socializing and activities !!

it’s a complete catastrophe !!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

the only way to do it double or triple the number of teachers and schools nationwide

If they just committed to distance learning until a viable vaccine exists they could put effort into generating useful material/training for old-rear end teachers who don't understand computers but eh
hedge your bets and safe a couple bucks

Also all the salaries got froze in NoVA so those teachers are super happy right now

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/dburbach/status/1265808404850913282

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
School bus drivers should strike

Just thought of that

gently caress having to transport 100 little plague vectors to and fro every day for $10/hour

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

euphronius posted:

staying home so also bad !! many kids aren’t learning anything m, the effects are radically disproportionate on poor kids, they are missing socializing and activities !!

Many so called poor students dont even own a computer on which to zoom!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I just realized I forgot to help my kid do the last two days of online activities, woops

You can zoom on a phone right? We do a 5-10 minute one once a week and my kid is the only one rocking a headset with a mic instead of something integrated. Maybe everyone else has laptops

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

COVID-420 posted:

i think sneezeguard/mask dining (and disney world and pretty much everything) is way worse than just popping a bottle of slightly fancier wine (real glass bottles!) and having a big elaborate meal at home

very interested in the psyche of these ppl who desire a sad and pale imitation of life in the before-times

yeah do you really wanna go to the weird covid-restricted disney where everything's all hosed up and weird? that's how you're gonna spend your vacation?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Gio posted:

ok gently caress it im making a wife post

first off my wife shares pretty much identical political views and we’ve been very cautious throughout this pandemic.

however, given the fact that we beat the coronavirus and everyone is out celebrating the end of the coronavirus (evidenced by pictures itt), she feels weird—at a minimum—that we’re “the only ones” getting our groceries delivered.

now i dont give a gently caress. ill go the grocery store. ive gone into stores and had to go into my school to clean out the kids desks and take my posters off the walls. im not that much of a hypochondriac. i know the odds are if i get it ill beat it and im almost certainly gonna get it eventually.

so i dgaf about getting groceries partly bc i *probably* wont get it, but also bc im just increasingly blackpilled and am sick and tired of feeling crazy for simply being cautious and not pretending like things are normal/having the dumb guy attitude of “well if i get it i get it.”

my rationale is, why even risk it? getting groceries delivered is comparatively more expensive, but we’ve dramatically cut our spending (amazing how much restaurant and bar tabs add up), so the only reason to go is bc of blackpilled peer pressure. she insists im not being rational, and says all the infectious disease experts say grocery shopping is “extremely low risk,” which i think she’s conflating with surface exposure. i told her i dont give a poo poo, lets go, but honestly—why?

she kinda loving hates my contrarian attitude and i get it contrarians are annoying as poo poo.

(aside from covid, i love having groceries delivered. grocery shopping is bar none one of my most loathed activities. cant loving stand it. unless its like a trip to a specialty market or farmers market with a huge variety of great produce.)

this whole world is making me feel loving insane. i dont know maybe i am!!

I get delivery groceries and didn't Dolphin catch the covid from the grocery store? No one knows if they're going to beat this, who knows if they have an undiagnosed condition that will result in their death because of this? Grocery shopping at the store is horrible and you end up buying more than you need add covid cooties being breathed around and lmao, I'm paying the extra, tipping the delivery person 25%, and leaving them a mask in a little ziploc bag outside saying "for Instacart" when the app says they're arriving. I feel more comfortable getting delivered groceries than say pizza, I pick that up because F DoorDash

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress that beat each other with canes again
solve your problems the old fashioned way you cowards

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COVID-420 posted:

personally I think it's loving great, I get to cook whatever I want and drink a full fuckin bottle of whiskey and stay up until 9 in the morning getting absolutely blitzed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disney isn’t giving you your money back if they are open

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

:popeye:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

should all be charged with attempted murder or assault like someone with Hepatitis-C that spat in a drink, IMO

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MorrisBae posted:

School bus drivers should strike

Just thought of that

gently caress having to transport 100 little plague vectors to and fro every day for $10/hour

I feel like schools won't be able to reopen because of massive teacher shortages, shortages of workers at schools, school bus drivers, basically everything related to schools because it's so obviously a daily superspreader event

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

Taco John's on Ingersoll

That is the first and last Taco John's I went to when I first moved to Iowa. I feel like with that and Whiskey River, we need those like health department stickers that go from A to F, and they just say COVID

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

empty whippet box posted:

I feel like schools won't be able to reopen because of massive teacher shortages, shortages of workers at schools, school bus drivers, basically everything related to schools because it's so obviously a daily superspreader event

buried in the presentation was also a worry that parents won't allow their students to come back to school if they don't feel it is safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

I just realized I forgot to help my kid do the last two days of online activities, woops

You can zoom on a phone right? We do a 5-10 minute one once a week and my kid is the only one rocking a headset with a mic instead of something integrated. Maybe everyone else has laptops

I've seen more Zoom interviews on podcasts in the last month get hosed up because the interviewee exceeded their high-speed data in the middle of the interview and get throttled to unusable speeds

Can only imagine how many kids who don't live in the bougie districts providing free MiFi routers that would have to deal with that poo poo