Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Asymptomatic often means no symptoms at the time of testing there isn’t enough follow up being done

Apparently we've done about 6,000 tests in my county of 169,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So was coronavirus allowed to run rampant to do the following things:

-Eliminate voter bases for those opposed to Trump (aka, kill democrat voters)
-Lower social security costs
-Lower medical costs for people on medicare/medicaid
-Eradicate the poor/disenfranchised

?

Trump reminds me a lot of Prince Prospero from "The Masque of the Red Death"

Oh, I thought of another one:

-Allow Trump to be president during a time of crisis, almost guaranteeing his re-election

vandalism fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 27, 2020

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Tipps posted:

Companies in Canada have already started replacing their "in these troubled times..." tv ads with "now that things are getting back to normal" ads, encouraging people to leave the house and go shopping again. :negative:

I can't articulate exactly why but I really hate all the new buzzwords/terms associated with this whole thing.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Apparently we've done about 6,000 tests in my county of 169,000.

Seasonal flu is also around 50% asymptomatic it would be interesting what this ends up being

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Facebook Aunt posted:

Great news everyone! One of my right wing relatives was passing around a list of 'facts' that included info the CDC recently released a new estimate that the Infection Fatality Rate is just 0.2%

No reference of course, but it probably refers this CDC resource: https://www.cdc.gov/.../2019.../hcp/planning-scenarios.html Which unfortunately doesn't mention "Infection Fatality Rate" or "IFR" at all, it only refers to Case Fatality Rate which is a larger number because it doesn't include asymptomatic people who were never tested. You can calculate it yourself by checking the "Scenario 5: Current Best Estimate" CFR estimate of 0.034 against the asymptomatic percentage estimate of 35%. That would result in an Infection Fatality Rate of 0.221% which is pretty close to 0.2%. Rounding down to 1 significant digit is a bold move.

The total US population in 2020 is estimated by the UN to be 331,002,651 people. Of course not every person will catch Covid-19. Even if we do nothing at all to try to mitigate infections and everyone starts licking doorknobs, if Covid_19 immunity behaves like similar viruses, it will basically stop once 80% of the population has immunity. So if y'all do nothing at all to stop it you can expect 264,802,120 Americans to catch it. And then .221% die.

So an upper boundary of 585, 212 dead Americans. This is what the chuds are celebrating today.

e: I hosed up the link, this is the real link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

If that research is right and the CFR is actually 0.2% that is amazing news. At the start of this we feared it was double if not ten times that.

Doesn't mean everyone shouldn't be wearing a mask and social distancing for the next months though. Obviously.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

vandalism posted:

This is the opposite of what is happening tho. It's the MAGA crew ignoring the virus, not wearing masks and hugging each other at packed MAGA rallies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coronavirus posted:

If that research is right and the CFR is actually 0.2% that is amazing news. At the start of this we feared it was double if not ten times that.

When this first came up, no one was able to find any research this was based on.

The authors may have pulled it from their arses.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

vandalism posted:

-Lower social security costs
-Lower medical costs for people on medicare/medicaid
-Eradicate the poor/disenfranchised

?

Oh, I thought of another one:

-Allow Trump to be president during a time of crisis, almost guaranteeing his re-election

Wow, 'Prince Prospero' is pretty on the nose

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

This is the opposite of what is happening tho. It's the MAGA crew ignoring the virus, not wearing masks and hugging each other at packed MAGA rallies.

That may be the case right now and that may be who is getting infected currently. It remains to be seen how bad the surge will be in a week or two after everyone has treated it like its all over. However a majority of the deaths that have occurred happened in New York, a very blue state (city).

vandalism fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 27, 2020

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I can't wait for Burt to poo poo trains on all this noncough cough thomas talk. The blood is pumping and not just because smoking cigarettes increases blood pressure especially in old pieces of dirt

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Platystemon posted:

When this first came up, no one was able to find any research this was based on.

The authors may have pulled it from their arses.

0.2% CFR is a ridiculous number and just double that of the regular flu. No one in the world with any kind of widespread infection is going to see a number that low.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

It'll be more than 5.8% based on the uncontrolled virus/stupidity.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Both my (barely) silent generation parents ate in sit down restaurants this week. At least with my mom it was an excellent seafood place on the coast, my dumb rear end dad risked death to eat some mediocre fish and chips in SW Colorado.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shaocaholica posted:

Except it's also killing a lot of metro poors and minorities that largely vote democrat because they work "essential" jobs that can't be done from home.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The people COVID is killing by circumstance lean democratic.

The people COVID is killing by choice lean republican.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The individuals choice, not COVIDs choice, afaik COVID is not capable of making choices.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Blitter posted:

0.2% CFR is a ridiculous number and just double that of the regular flu. No one in the world with any kind of widespread infection is going to see a number that low.

I have no idea at all how you came to that number when nothing from anywhere has a number even close to that.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

bird with big dick posted:

The individuals choice, not COVIDs choice, afaik COVID is not capable of making choices.

The machinations of the COVID entity are currently unknown

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

coronavirus posted:

I have no idea at all how you came to that number when nothing from anywhere has a number even close to that.

By taking the total confirmed deaths divided by the total confirmed cases.

Roylab stats from youtube because I'm lazy.

102,000~/1,745,000~ deaths/cases = 5.8ish%.

In the US.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 28, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

coronavirus posted:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry, wrong image

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

vandalism posted:

Prospero lived in quarantine and only invited the quarantined to his party. Trump wants to hold his party (GOP convention) in a plague hotspot and invite people from all over the plague-ridden nation to come celebrate with him. Prospero tried to hide from and distract himself from the plague. Trump is trying to coerce people to bring the plague to him because he needs the dopamine rush of his cheering lackeys.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Thanks for the sexual confusion.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The next step in Coronavirus adaptation?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sorry, wrong image

Where is this from? Is it more official than Worldometer, which always makes me slightly :tinfoil: because I have no idea who is behind it?

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

rotinaj posted:

Where is this from? Is it more official than Worldometer, which always makes me slightly :tinfoil: because I have no idea who is behind it?

Lemme help you out there! From Wiki:

quote:

Worldometer, formerly Worldometers (plural), is a reference website that provides counters and real-time statistics for diverse topics. It is owned and operated by data company Dadax which generates revenue through online advertising.[5]

It is part of the Real Time Statistics Project,[6] and is managed by "an international team of developers, researchers, and volunteers".[7]

It is available in 34 languages and covers subjects such as world population, government, economics, society, media, environment, food, water, energy, and health.

The website was launched on January 29, 2008. In 2011, it was voted as one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association.[8]

They have a very impressive About page here. I've been using them for a few years and they've always seemed legit af.

COVID-420 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 28, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rotinaj posted:

https://infection2020.com/

And I'm not endorsing them, just sayin.

They're definitely an aggregator and are definitely lagging behind by 6-24 hours based on the low population counties that I watch where you can tell easily.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Xenocides posted:

Prospero lived in quarantine and only invited the quarantined to his party. Trump wants to hold his party (GOP convention) in a plague hotspot and invite people from all over the plague-ridden nation to come celebrate with him. Prospero tried to hide from and distract himself from the plague. Trump is trying to coerce people to bring the plague to him because he needs the dopamine rush of his cheering lackeys.

I see your point in these differences. Here is my thinking with a little expense. Prospero locked himself away. Trump has put himself increasingly on twitter as a bastion, an echo chamber of his own words. The social media sphere functions as the waltzers: an extension and manifestation of him who realize their mortality when the clock strikes, yet continue to dance. The prince's isolation worked because he kept out the masses. Trump will still just be on podium, well away from any real chance of infection. His wealth is essentially his isolation: mar a lago, air force one, chloroquinine. It all functions in the same way as prospero's more direct, heavy handed approach: life for the wealthy 1%, suffering for the rest. Trump is also trying to distract himself with Obamagate and other fruitless efforts. The next will be the China/Hong Kong issues.

I understand the points where you differ in opinion and agree that it might not be 100% parallel down to the letter. I think the big picture still fits.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a covid test done last week and I did have flu symptoms. They basically said to treat it as though I did have it, even if the test came back negative. The test came back negative so... good for me?

I don't have symptoms anymore (I think it may have just been allergic reaction), but I'm still isolating for 15 days after no symptoms, as they recommended.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sorry, wrong image

Tell Trump this is a 2016 election map and he'll autograph it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trump is going to ban social media tomorrow it’s going to be epic.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Blitter posted:

To expand upon this, the CFR in South Korea is 2.4%. South Korea actually had a large outbreak, did the whole mass testing and contact tracing thing well, and successfully bottled the thing up entirely without overwhelming their health care system - so their numbers should show a reasonably complete picture.

0.2% is absurdly low - you only see a CFR that low in super low risk age bands like 20's-30's.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

COVID-420 posted:

Lemme help you out there! From Wiki:

They have a very impressive About page here. I've been using them for a few years and they've always seemed legit af.

Whoa, cool. Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbadger posted:

0.2% is absurdly low - you only see a CFR that low in super low risk age bands like 20's-30's.

Relatively.

Anyone who thinks that 0.2% is low in absolute terms should take up motorbiking and BASE jumping.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Shaocaholica posted:

Trump is going to ban social media tomorrow it’s going to be epic.

Why is the boomer angry at social media?

(Answer is not expected)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

IKR? Sadly all we have now is this cropped screencap because the lady got so much pushback she made her account private.

No one should be able to make me wear a mask! Also no one else should be allowed to wear one either, it hurts my feelings.

I have a friend who works retail hell and he's been yelled at for rubbing sanitiser on his hands after handling cash from customers because, "What, are you saying I'm diseased? Dirty?"

Thankfully we're in Australia, so he can just say "Yes."

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Why is the boomer angry at social media?

(Answer is not expected)

Twitter started fact checking his posts

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

COVID-420 posted:

[Worldometer has] a very impressive About page here. I've been using them for a few years and they've always seemed legit af.

I stopped using Worldometer a while ago out of question over whether they're actually legit. They sound more like an aggregator website than anything.

CNN's been calling them out because nobody really knows who owns it, where their data comes from or whether they really do have "an international team of developers, researchers, and volunteers" as they claim they have. Also, Johns Hopkins University isn't trusting them anymore and their About page is outdated.

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 28, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't give a poo poo if this is coroni related or not.

The president of the united states of america just retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993

I quote: "The only good democrat is a dead democrat."

The guy stumbles over his words trying to explain it, but the message is loud and clear.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 28, 2020

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't give a poo poo if this is coroni related or not.

The president of the united states of america just retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993

I quote: "The only good democrat is a dead democrat."

The guy stumbles over his words trying to explain it, but the message is loud and clear.

Am I imagining things or was there a time where there...

You know what. I'm not gonna bother. I hate him. I hate him so goddamn much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/1265636238255669252

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1265650018041491457