Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, remember when WotC just straight up nuked the D&D forums which had years of content including tons of build guides and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Related, Green Ronin is finally nuking their forums (again?):

GR post posted:

Unfortunately, the time has come to shut down the forums. While it wasn’t an easy decision, it was necessary once we discovered a rather serious security vulnerability that made continuing to support the forum software an untenable position. We have reached the tipping point where the security risks involved with maintaining the forums outweigh the benefits. We tried to find a solution that would allow us to maintain the existing forums in read-only mode, but just running the forum software on our servers would pose too great a security risk.

Don't worry, the timeline wasn't there or anything because it's nowhere.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, remember when WotC just straight up nuked the D&D forums which had years of content including tons of build guides and stuff?

I mean, *Gestures vaguely at 4e's digital footprint as well*

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I mean, *Gestures vaguely at 4e's digital footprint as well*

I'm pretty sure even at the time they switched to an online character builder everyone knew Silverlight was doomed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm pretty sure even at the time they switched to an online character builder everyone knew Silverlight was doomed.
it turns out there were a lot of Silverlight developers around that part of Washington who were looking for work, for some unknowable reason, so

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

Well the Magic forums weren't seeing much traffic because everyone preferred Reddit or various fan forums, so why keep the forums alive for the much smaller base of weirdos who care about Dungeons and Dragons?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Roleplayers are nothing but trouble, admittedly.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

it turns out there were a lot of Silverlight developers around that part of Washington who were looking for work, for some unknowable reason, so

That, and I think it let them reuse parts of the .NET based desktop character builder in a particularly hilarious fashion of them running on the server and it having to make RPC calls to it for anything, making it laggy as hell initially. I don't know how it worked over time, I cancelled my Insider subscription that month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kai Tave posted:

WOTC has historically been just loving terrible at basically everything digital, with Gatherer (and then MTGO and Arena) being essentially the sole exceptions.

Nothing changes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

thespaceinvader posted:

WOTC has historically been just loving terrible at basically everything digital, with Gatherer (and then MTGO and Arena) being essentially the sole exceptions.

Nothing changes.

I mean, gatherer and MTGO are both incredibly terrible. Arena is better but it's still not coded very well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gatherer is bad enough that even WotC sponsored magic content creators use scryfall instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's honestly pretty impressive that a company based in Washington state can't even find talented, enthusiastic coders to exploit for exposure, you'd think there'd be someone with actual programming skills champing at the bit to be an Official WotC Code Person for a pittance, meanwhile Comp/Con is over here going into the next part of its roadmap where it's going to be adding more campaign management tools, an official homebrew editor/importer framework, gameplay tracking systems (so you can keep track of things like how many enemies you've defeated, how many times you've taken structure/stress damage, etc), and achievements.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

gourdcaptain posted:

At the time Silverlight was Microsoft's big replacement for old crusty Flash - so not completely crazy to go 'a character tool that requires you to download and install it on your windows machine is a bad idea, let's replace it with an online version' in early 2010 or whatever.

The real problem was that meanwhile smartphones had arrived and were eating the lunch of rich web plugins in general. But in early 2010 if you'd done an iphone-only one you'd still be locking out a lot of people.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

xiw posted:

At the time Silverlight was Microsoft's big replacement for old crusty Flash - so not completely crazy to go 'a character tool that requires you to download and install it on your windows machine is a bad idea, let's replace it with an online version' in early 2010 or whatever.

The real problem was that meanwhile smartphones had arrived and were eating the lunch of rich web plugins in general. But in early 2010 if you'd done an iphone-only one you'd still be locking out a lot of people.

It seemed like at the time it was a pretty blatant move to make sure people kept subscribed instead of just subscribing to get the builder for a month or pirating it. The web-based one was pretty unusable at launch due to lag issues, also. Did they ever sort out the hilariously ridiculous use of modal dialogs for literally everything?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gourdcaptain posted:

It seemed like at the time it was a pretty blatant move to make sure people kept subscribed instead of just subscribing to get the builder for a month or pirating it

That's exactly what it was. They were just a little ahead of the curve on our current trajectory of turning everything into x-as-a-service

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, pretty sure they wanted more money from people like me, who would just subscribe for a month whenever a big update happened, download the character builder, and then gently caress off again. Instead everyone I know who did that just stopped subscribing and went to :filez: instead.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

It's honestly pretty impressive that a company based in Washington state can't even find talented, enthusiastic coders to exploit for exposure, you'd think there'd be someone with actual programming skills champing at the bit to be an Official WotC Code Person for a pittance, meanwhile Comp/Con is over here going into the next part of its roadmap where it's going to be adding more campaign management tools, an official homebrew editor/importer framework, gameplay tracking systems (so you can keep track of things like how many enemies you've defeated, how many times you've taken structure/stress damage, etc), and achievements.

It’s because they paid like absolute poo poo and you have to work in Renton, so you’re far away from actual Seattle, but on the plus side you couldn’t afford to live in Seattle anyways! So they only got people who just wanted to work at WOTC (who would quit within six months, because it also wasn’t a very good company to work for) and people who couldn’t get a job anywhere else in one of the biggest tech regions in the country.

I think that changed at least somewhat in the lead up to Arena, which helps explain Arena.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean pretty much the entire software industry at large seems to be exploitative as hell but quality software still gets made, I wasn't expecting WotC to actually pay well so much as I figured by now they would have managed to rope in some bright-eyed young software engineer who loves D&D and would gladly be exploited for a chance to be a part of his favorite hobby, but who has, like, actual talent too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like it's absolutely fair to say that a big part of how good Comp/Con is comes down to the fact that Massif recognized the opportunity to put a chunk of their Kickstarter largesse towards funding it, and if that hadn't happened it would be in a greatly reduced state from where it is now, but it would still probably be vastly better and more functional than anything WotC has ever put out all from being made by someone in his spare time.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

I mean pretty much the entire software industry at large seems to be exploitative as hell but quality software still gets made, I wasn't expecting WotC to actually pay well so much as I figured by now they would have managed to rope in some bright-eyed young software engineer who loves D&D and would gladly be exploited for a chance to be a part of his favorite hobby, but who has, like, actual talent too.

Like it's absolutely fair to say that a big part of how good Comp/Con is comes down to the fact that Massif recognized the opportunity to put a chunk of their Kickstarter largesse towards funding it, and if that hadn't happened it would be in a greatly reduced state from where it is now, but it would still probably be vastly better and more functional than anything WotC has ever put out all from being made by someone in his spare time.

Well, there are degrees of exploitation and most companies (in the Seattle area) at least try to exploit you while slapping a few fat-rear end numbers in front of your face.

But I think there are other factors for what you're talking about. Small indie companies are more likely to get a smart person doing a bunch of work in their free time because (a) they've built up a lot more goodwill than WotC and (b) they're a lot less likely to send a C&D. Kobold Fight Club is a clear example of someone pushing up against the line of what they think won't get them lawyered out of existence.

And once someone gets into the company where they have legal freedom, they're dragged into updating the archaically-designed Daily MTG site or whatever.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Dawgstar posted:

Related, Green Ronin is finally nuking their forums (again?):

Don't worry, the timeline wasn't there or anything because it's nowhere.

This makes me very, very glad that Kreuzritter posted his Mutants & Masterminds builds on RPGnet as well.

In fact, stuff like this and the WotC thing is an important lesson for posting your big-rear end projects: webforums are not your safety deposit box. Almost every FATAL & Friends I ever wrote the past 2 years is saved somewhere as a Word Doc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Libertad! posted:

This makes me very, very glad that Kreuzritter posted his Mutants & Masterminds builds on RPGnet as well.

In fact, stuff like this and the WotC thing is an important lesson for posting your big-rear end projects: webforums are not your safety deposit box. Almost every FATAL & Friends I ever wrote the past 2 years is saved somewhere as a Word Doc.

I do regret there's probably a lot of really hard work that went into turning assorted comic book and other characters into M&M stats will be gone forever, since especially with a crunchy system like that I found lots and lots of NPCs could really help to show different ways the sausage was made.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Look who's trying to sneak his way back into legitimacy:

https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1267134380540956674

I want to take a shower after being exposed to something so viscerally slimy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Now is not the time! Black Lives Matter!" I hit bingo pretty early.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
(Link to D&D facebook post)

https://www.facebook.com/dungeonsanddragons/photos/a.98724281070/10158106622866071/?type=3&theater

"We support those who are using their voices to affect systematic change, make their communities better places to live, and invest in the citizens and leaders of tomorrow"

:rolleyes:

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 2, 2020

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Foolster41 posted:

(Link to D&D facebook post)

https://www.facebook.com/dungeonsanddragons/photos/a.98724281070/10158106622866071/?type=3&theater

"We support those who are using their voices to affect systematic change, make their communities better places to live, and invest in the citizens and leaders of tomorrow"

:rolleyes:

"Unless it's by someone we hired as a consultant, then it's fine."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
loving lol Wizards

https://twitter.com/Aclippinger/status/1267675527319519232

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think that's just a freelancer making fun of historians straight washing stuff, not actual WotC content.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They are canonically lovers. That’s someone making fun of historians.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah just a bit below the image in the book it flat out says they were lovers. Clippinger is having a laugh.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
basically the historian equivalent of "GALS BEING PALS"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WotC finally put out their 'we stand in support of those who fight racial injustice' screenshot graphic on their Twitter and most of the replies are about firing Mearls (and reminding people that's only the first step).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's worth mentioning that another reason WotC abandoned the 4e digital tools (D&D Insider/Gleemax grand plan) was that the senior developer working on them, Joseph Batten, murdered his estranged wife and then killed himself, leaving them with both a horrifying tragedy, and nobody in charge any more. This was after repeated failures to deliver on what was promised, of course; I've seen speculation that the stress surrounding those failures may have contributed to his emotional crisis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen speculation that the stress surrounding those failures may have contributed to his emotional crisis.

I wouldn't put much stock in that, it's literally impossible to know what was going on in his mind but the internet loves to make estimates (that coincidentally reinforce their own worldview) anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leperflesh posted:

It's worth mentioning that another reason WotC abandoned the 4e digital tools (D&D Insider/Gleemax grand plan) was that the senior developer working on them, Joseph Batten, murdered his estranged wife and then killed himself, leaving them with both a horrifying tragedy, and nobody in charge any more. This was after repeated failures to deliver on what was promised, of course; I've seen speculation that the stress surrounding those failures may have contributed to his emotional crisis.
Wasn't it going to basically be D&D beyond, just for 4E?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Nessus posted:

Wasn't it going to basically be D&D beyond, just for 4E?

From what I remember they were going for a whole automated online tabletop experience, which would've been amazing for 4e.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Free Gratis posted:

From what I remember they were going for a whole automated online tabletop experience, which would've been amazing for 4e.

yeah, the original plan was a subscription service to D&D that included the ability to use all the books in character creation, a virtual table top similar akin to VTT with ability to purchase adventure modules for use (which would come with all the maps/tiles/enemies pre-loaded etc. A truly random dice roller (this one is really hard, btw. Roll20 publishes their stats and proves that they have random distribution, but people are so used to using physical dice that random distribution seems off by comparison), ebooks for every physical book you actually bought. I think there were a few more promises thrown in there too, and the character builder actually was all options available before they shelved it (because people would subscribe for a month, let their subscription lapse, then download the updates from :warez: sites supposedly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

https://twitter.com/LawrenceHarmon/status/1268255676150820872?s=19

I mean, holy poo poo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!