Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CharlestonJew posted:

he was talking about the gameplay footage, which was recorded on easy mode, but meatwadisgod was not playing the game in the footage, meaning your response of "stop playing on easy" makes no sense whatsoever. unless meatwadisgod was in fact the person playing in the footage, in which case what the gently caress are you doing posting get back to work bitch

Neil Druckmann found out about my posts and abducted my dog please call the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Neil Druckmann found out about my posts and abducted my dog please call the police

you're going to need to tell us the name of your dog before we're capable of feeling any empathy towards you

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
This is like Come and See: The Game except bad and totally missing the point.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I feel for the ones who, when the purge comes, will have their whole extended family murdered, but only when the family dog gets brought before them will they be able to summon any emotion for it.

It does seem like both the final stage of something and a eternal return in human behavior.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Will the dog's yelping come out of the DS4 speaker? That would really add an extra 'oomph' to your emotions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Remember, the word fun is banned or some poo poo by ND!

is it impossible to make a game with uncomfortable things in it or just in this instance.

alternately is it impossible to make a good game that isnt fun, and if so what does that imply for games next to other art and media.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i think it's possible to make a good game that isn't fun, I just don't think ND or really any AAA studio is able to do it

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Will the dog's yelping come out of the DS4 speaker? That would really add an extra 'oomph' to your emotions.
The announcer will say the dog's name like in Smash Bros

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

i think it's possible to make a good game that isn't fun, I just don't think ND or really any AAA studio is able to do it

i know you do but im more interested in the people who post things like "they forgot the fun" because it implies that its a requirement

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

Eh. There's a real argument to be made for something like Death Stranding which is not 'fun' in a remotely traditional sense but still is undeniably an AAA title and good at what it is trying to do. This War Of Mine is an Ubisoft-published game that is absolutely not fun in any normal sense of the word but still is very effective at what it does.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i thought death stranding was real fun but i also play like an hour of american truck sim a day so maybe it's me that's the problem

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Can we admire how the trailer highlights "multiple settings" and "interior & exterior environments for the player to navigate"? AND ROPES? Next you'll tell me Ellie has a jump button.

Hmm I think the seven years were spent all on crispy dog FX

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

"We're going to do something that we've never done before..."

*Shows gameplay*

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
*An overgrown FEDRA GATE with BARBED WIRE. BIG BLOCK-LETTER GRAFFITI: "gently caress FEDRA".*
This level of Environmental Storytelling is Unprecedented.

I do like the Hotline Miami/Ice Cube. It's nice they're humanizing their enemies but the character writing has to be there first. Is it just me or does every person talk the same

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I liked the dialogue and was sad when Ellie brutally murdered them.

I think that means that the devices they're using are working.

Also it's gonna be very weird to walk down apocalyptic Seattle boardwalk, I'm gonna wanna loot the first Starbucks

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. There's a real argument to be made for something like Death Stranding which is not 'fun' in a remotely traditional sense but still is undeniably an AAA title and good at what it is trying to do. This War Of Mine is an Ubisoft-published game that is absolutely not fun in any normal sense of the word but still is very effective at what it does.

Pathologic is a perfect example of a great game that's not designed to be fun imo. Death Stranding's traversal isn't designed to be fun for the most part (except ziplines and maybe the motorbike on a paved road) but I'd say its combat segments are. Obviously the Pathologic games have leeway as indie titles that AAA ones don't. I think Death Stranding probably pushed it as far as a AAA game can, considering how much grief it got at launch. I hope it was profitable but I doubt it. I figure Druckmann was just trying to be provocative when he said that TLOU2 isn't supposed to be fun because if that were true gameplay would look radically different from what it is. I've already talked this to death though.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 28, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like the gameplay loop of picking guys off from the shadows, getting spotted with a mad scramble to take 1 or 2 guys out as quick as possible before the rest converge on your position, and then getting away to hide again. the incredibly bleak atmosphere turns me off from it though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I like the gameplay loop of picking guys off from the shadows, getting spotted with a mad scramble to take 1 or 2 guys out as quick as possible before the rest converge on your position, and then getting away to hide again. the incredibly bleak atmosphere turns me off from it though

Yeah, same. I think one of the coolest things about TLoU is how smoothly it transitions between stealth and a type of action where you're always scrambling and needing to improvise to take people out quickly, and then back to stealth, and then back to action. This only really applies if you're playing on Hard mode or higher since Normal gives you plentiful ammo, but it's a good gameplay loop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol that dog got toasted. war is hell

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's starting to feel like Naughty Dog resents having had to make this sequel and has decided to make it as grueling an experience as possible.

I had to nope out of the streamed live gameplay shown earlier after the hideously realistic-looking throat stab.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ham posted:

Action sells a whole lot better than stealth.

https://twitter.com/AerospaceCowboy/status/1265796216060772355

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mae posted:

I liked the dialogue and was sad when Ellie brutally murdered them.

I think that means that the devices they're using are working.

yeah. i am glad they are making the "baddies" actually feel like people instead of drones or out and out psychos like other games, its different and i like stuff that makes you feel gross sometimes.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

lol that dog got toasted. war is hell

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

i know you do but im more interested in the people who post things like "they forgot the fun" because it implies that its a requirement

A video game being fun to play is definitely 100% a requirement for me

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eML5icfq5VM

well 2 seems to top that. its hosed up and graphic in realitic way instead of gross at times like MK and such. i mean i am a broken person when it comes to graphic poo poo in games because i usually dont care for super gory horror movies(in the roth sense not the evil dead sense)

Looks a lot like the first game but with dog, good job ND really pushing gaming forward. Oh cool crafting system, batman vision and bow that's really hot in gaming right now.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
smdh at ND putting dialouge and guns in this game, couldnn't they thought of somthing new??

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
game looks good, combat & stealth look even better and more fluid than in the first game and the impact from hitting/shooting enemies is going to be really satisfying

violence is rad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

A video game being fun to play is definitely 100% a requirement for me

do you carry this limitation over to other media or is it only games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I require that all television, cinema, music, sculpture, painting, and puppetry be fun to play as well

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JustaDamnFool posted:

smdh at ND putting dialouge and guns in this game, couldnn't they thought of somthing new??

It would be nice to have some of the things they had in the old gameplay reveal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stux posted:

do you carry this limitation over to other media or is it only games

Depends on your definition of “fun”. If you mean “enjoyable” then yeah, I do. I’m not going to sit myself down for a few hours of watching the grimmest atrocity footage out there minus any context or a sub-Asylum grade garbage movie. Not everything has to be a rollicking happy fun adventure but at some point it has to be an enjoyable experience to be worth doing as entertainment. Maybe it’s enjoyable because of the emotion and drama or because you learn something. Schindlers List or a documentary on the AIDS crisis in the 80s aren’t “fun” but there is still enjoyment to be had there.

Note the bit about “as entertainment” up there. Video games and movies etc get held to a different standard than, say, an instructional DVD about how to use Excel. A textbook and a novel get judged on different criteria despite both being books.

Pretty much anything involving a PlayStation is going to fit into the entertainment rubric as far as I’m concerned.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on your definition of “fun”. If you mean “enjoyable” then yeah, I do. I’m not going to sit myself down for a few hours of watching the grimmest atrocity footage out there minus any context or a sub-Asylum grade garbage movie. Not everything has to be a rollicking happy fun adventure but at some point it has to be an enjoyable experience to be worth doing as entertainment. Maybe it’s enjoyable because of the emotion and drama or because you learn something. Schindlers List or a documentary on the AIDS crisis in the 80s aren’t “fun” but there is still enjoyment to be had there.

Note the bit about “as entertainment” up there. Video games and movies etc get held to a different standard than, say, an instructional DVD about how to use Excel. A textbook and a novel get judged on different criteria despite both being books.

Pretty much anything involving a PlayStation is going to fit into the entertainment rubric as far as I’m concerned.

youve just tried to redefine fun to the point schindlers list or a documentary about AIDS is "fun" or even enjoyable, theyre explicitly neither and not supposed to be either. no one enjoys watching things like that but pure enjoyment or fun isnt the sole single metric for media and nor should it be.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Human Centipede 3 is the most fun but Human Centipede 1 is the best one

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are definitely things that are informative or fulfilling to engage in in spite of not being fun. "Contrived videogame scenario where you are forced to kill someone's dog every few minutes" does not, immediately, seem like one of those things to me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stux posted:

youve just tried to redefine fun to the point schindlers list or a documentary about AIDS is "fun" or even enjoyable, theyre explicitly neither and not supposed to be either. no one enjoys watching things like that but pure enjoyment or fun isnt the sole single metric for media and nor should it be.

Learning things and emotional, dramatic, harrowing stories can be entertaining without being “fun” in the way that a comedy or a Super Mario Bros game is, yes. This is why I expanded “fun” to include entertaining.

I think “fun” is an idiotic metric for media but “entertaining” works for most. This is the key difference between, for example, Schindler’s List, a holocaust documentary, and two hours of un edited genocide footage without commentary.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Learning things and emotional, dramatic, harrowing stories can be entertaining without being “fun” in the way that a comedy or a Super Mario Bros game is, yes. This is why I expanded “fun” to include entertaining.

I think “fun” is an idiotic metric for media but “entertaining” works for most. This is the key difference between, for example, Schindler’s List, a holocaust documentary, and two hours of un edited genocide footage without commentary.

And this is what they're going for, regardless of people's expectations about the execution.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
AIDS documentary Last Of Us 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schindler's List but the gas chamber and oven scenes are touted as groundbreaking entertainment features

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

i didnt choose the metric, people said "fun to play" so its meaningless for you to move that over to include movies that are extremely unfun to watch as fun. i dont agree either with calling things like schindlers list or an AIDS documentary entertaining and find that distasteful, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIWss-_5HGM

this is gonna be me, but with dogs