Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The_Doctor posted:

Is that a well made podcast? Every time I try a podcast about books, it seems like the makers know nothing about how sound production works, and I sit there lowering and raising the volume as different people talk, or give up as they decided recording during a storm was a good idea.

They've been around for years, and the sound production values are solid. Helps that both the main hosts have musical backgrounds and know their way around microphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yeah. They're good. I don't always agree with their reviews, but in general? They're funny, unproblematic, and well produced.

eBook version of Blood Rites on sale for 2.99 on Amazon today, by the by.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1265779093473079296

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any actual link to that post?

Because it doesn't have a time or date, isn't a direct link and isn't on his actual social media profile. When the person posting it was questioned they just said "I guess he deleted it.,"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Legit or not I'm learning things about Butcher in the comments of that tweet and Oof

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
at some point you become addicted to cancelling people and it gets a bit ridiculous honestly
like he's a loving urban fantasy writer, who cares if he's dumb as a brick, that's why we don't get urban fantasy writers making decisions around public health policy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

awesmoe posted:

at some point you become addicted to cancelling people and it gets a bit ridiculous honestly
like he's a loving urban fantasy writer, who cares if he's dumb as a brick, that's why we don't get urban fantasy writers making decisions around public health policy

yeah this is bullshit buddy writers have their politics in their work, and they make money off of their work, and I don't want to give money to an idiot

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What the gently caress, I'm blocked from viewing that person's tweets?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Legit or not I'm learning things about Butcher in the comments of that tweet and Oof

I feel like if you have to say "Legit or not" then there is an issue there.

If it's legit then Butcher is a huge dumb rear end in a top hat but "screenshot without any identifying markers that doesn't even display the full post while also is completely inacessible despite being 'brand new' and which I can't see any other cases of someone referencing besides this one post triggers all my "bad faith" warning alarms.

Edit: Especially because that account hasn't been posted on for several years while Butcher posts on this one (https://twitter.com/longshotauthor) which has a different user profile image.

StrixNebulosa posted:

yeah this is bullshit buddy writers have their politics in their work, and they make money off of their work, and I don't want to give money to an idiot

Could you provide a second source for this post? Maybe one that shows the full thing?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 28, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It looks very much like somebody faked up a post, so their group could have a "bash Butcher" party. I'd take anything said in that thread with a literal mountain of salt.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ImpAtom posted:

If it's legit then Butcher is a huge dumb rear end in a top hat but "screenshot without any identifying markers that doesn't even display the full post while also is completely inacessible despite being 'brand new' and which I can't see any other cases of someone referencing besides this one post triggers all my "bad faith" warning alarms.

Edit: Especially because that account hasn't been posted on for several years while Butcher posts on this one (https://twitter.com/longshotauthor) which has a different user profile image.

Could you provide a second source for this post? Maybe one that shows the full thing?

It's not a twitter post it's a Facebook comment, and that is his current FB avatar. Some digging and it's supposedly a comment from a now deleted post on another person's page. There's other pictures from the same post but none of them have a time stamp or anything.

Edit:I'm not saying to definitely believe it because it is unverifiable.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 28, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

It's not a twitter post it's a Facebook comment, and that is his current FB avatar. Some digging and it's supposedly a comment from a now deleted post on another person's page. There's other pictures from the same post but none of them have a time stamp or anything.

Edit:I'm not saying to definitely believe it because it is unverifiable.

Yeah, that feels really odd. The timestamp of that screenshot is 9:54 which is 20 minutes after this began. If he deleted it then it would have still been up at that point even though even the person posting it said it was deleted.

I suppose it's entirely possible that it was someone in another time zone area but.. :shrug:

(That's also giving it the benefit of the doubt that post doesn't have any attribution to Jim Butcher at all, just the same text as before.)

Still not saying it is 100% for sure false but it's really weird that there was never any direct link to it, just screenshots, and not even any clear info on what this was posted on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 28, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The FB comment is at least 8 hours old, it could be from 9:54 am. I think Price got the pic secondhand.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, seems unproveable, and even if real, if he deleted it he at least realized he was being a dumbass.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
I've been happy to bag on Jim Butcher ever since he got all mealymouthed and both-sides about the Sad Puppies, but I'm going to need to see some actual proof. This post reads like it's tailor-made to invoke a cancellation dogpile, and the poster's lack of inclination to say where she found it and "SHRUG guess he deleted it" responses are suspicious as hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I too have my doubts, especially when you look at his Twitter account as linked above and it's 98% pictures of his dogs, 1% book publicity and 1% "we'll get through this quarantine together" stuff.

It's also, not for nothing, not the dumbest thing I've heard someone say about COVID, though it's pretty dumb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean if you're gonna try to cancel Butcher just go with the "I am totally cool with The Gays, folks" monologue from like . . . wait was that just the last book

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
yeah, being arrogant and bad at science while not advocating that people breach the guidelines seems pretty low key for a 2020 cancellation
wake me up when he's going around coughing on door handles, or swatting someone

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if you're gonna try to cancel Butcher just go with the "I am totally cool with The Gays, folks" monologue from like . . . wait was that just the last book

Two books ago. The last book was Dresden Male gaze on overdrive.

I am just about finished with a Dresden re-read. I was gonna post in this thread sorta defending the series as a flawed guilty pleasure too because it sure feels like in the last few years the thread has (validly so) critical of the series.

Long story short, man the series highs are great. The action remains fun as hell and it was a great comfort re-read during covid confinement. But man the goony Dresden excerpts are sooooo loving goony. Those parts just get so much worse with time. I seriously doubt Butcher will ever outgrow it so my only hope is they don't impede the future books as egregiously but well that is a faint hope if the past two books are any indication.

It has been ages since I read Skin Game and I guess I'm not as disappointed with it now as opposed to when it first came out. Managed expectations hooray! I am cautiously optimistic for the next two books. :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly feel like James Marsters is basically the only reason I can tolerate Dresden's bad parts these days because he does such an excellent job with the audiobooks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly feel like James Marsters is basically the only reason I can tolerate Dresden's bad parts these days because he does such an excellent job with the audiobooks.

As someone who listens to a lot of audiobooks, I find a good reader (or readers) can make a huge difference. Marsters is great for Dresden, but Kate Reading and Michael Kramer are as good for the Wheel of Time books. I just finished listening to the whole 15 book series (over several months), and the parts of the series that people complain about ("The Slog" and the switch in style when Sanderson takes over the writing for the last three books, for instance) barely bothered me at all because the character voices remained so consistent thanks to Reading and Kramer.

George Guidall does such a great job reading American Gods that I'm actually reluctant to try the 10 Anniversary Full Cast version, since Guidall's is so stuck in my head.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 28, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the 'legit or not' was talking about how they talked about a bunch of other poo poo Butcher did, as opposed to saying that making up to poo poo on Butcher is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

Oh, I lied. I checked on ol' Jim one more time. His partner posted this, so it's confirmed that the original screen shots were real....
so, yeah. Even the racist ranting. That was the real Jim :/

plus some screenshots from things Jim Butcher hasn't deleted from his facebook:

e: If you want to see the Krell comment, go here: https://www.facebook.com/thejimbutcherauthor and look in the comments for the top post (the respectful discourse image)

Here's my own screencap of it:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 28, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

to be clear I'm not taking pleasure from this. It loving sucks. I want to root for Jim Butcher as a guy who had a disaster of a time trying to write more cool books. Dresden 1-2 suck but everyone tells me that and I wanted to eventually read 3 onwards and go "yeah this guy is cool"

...but now it sucks that Butcher wants to poison that well by being a racist idiot and I'm not happy

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Another person being an idiot in 2020.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Maybe I’m just dumb but what part of that was racist?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I don't want to be dismissive because Covid Truther is pretty garbage, but this barely pushes the needle on "Jim Butcher is an idiot" over what's already in his books.
Like here is the much discussed dialogue with Titania for anyone that hasn't read it which as the person I stole it from noted takes place in a park that is apparently also a place where gay men go for "unapproved liaisons".

Daric posted:

Maybe I’m just dumb but what part of that was racist?
The part where he says China didn't isolate the virus and lied about everything and is in fact to blame?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 28, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Buck wild to see that stance pivot seamlessly from "fairly spot on" (capitalism can't survive compartmentalization, ventilator stocks have been mostly okay [PPE less so]) straight into paranoid racism.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Hub Cat posted:

The part where he says China didn't isolate the virus and lied about everything and is in fact to blame?

Yeah I’d get that as racism if he was talking about a person and not about a country’s government. Also it seems to be true? https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/02/intelligence-report-says-china-lied-about-origin-of-coronavirus/amp/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Daric posted:

Yeah I’d get that as racism if he was talking about a person and not about a country’s government. Also it seems to be true? https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/02/intelligence-report-says-china-lied-about-origin-of-coronavirus/amp/

That NYPost's(known right-wing tabloid) only citation is a Rupert Murdoch owned tabloid's article about an unposted leaked dossier which you can read more about here

The Guardian posted:

Allan Behm, the head of the international and security affairs program at the Australia Institute and a former senior defence official, says the reporting had made “a mountain out of a molehill”.

“I would attach no significance to it whatsoever. It’s just a list,” Behm says.

“I think the net result was to build up a nothing into something and that fed into the kind of shrill hysteria we saw a few weeks ago, and it still echoes.”

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 28, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Saying China "cheated" during a pandemic and going on about the number of people dying around the world (while utterly ignoring that the US is currently the hardest hit country in the world because the people in charge are absolute morons) is the hottest take I've seen.

Jim Butcher is a moron, news at 11.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Good. Then I’m incorrect about it’s truth. It does seem like there’s a lot of misinformation out there though which makes it hard to know what the truth really is and it can make it easy to find the wrong source and accept its veracity.

Either way, being critical of a government doesn’t make you a racist. You can make the argument that the only black character in the books is a Russian former-Denarian so maybe he needs to include more POC characters (and I’m not even getting started on Injun Joe) but I don’t think you can take that rant as racist. Misguided, delusional, just flat out wrong? Yes. But I don’t see racism there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm genuinely impressed that you managed to read all of that and conclude that he's not racist.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I didn’t say he wasn’t, he may very well be. It would certainly explain some things about the books. But I don’t believe it’s shown in that text.

And again, maybe I’m wrong. But I think it’s a very slippery slope to go down if we’re not allowed to be critical of a government just because its citizens are non-white.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Daric posted:

I didn’t say he wasn’t, he may very well be. It would certainly explain some things about the books. But I don’t believe it’s shown in that text.

And again, maybe I’m wrong. But I think it’s a very slippery slope to go down if we’re not allowed to be critical of a government just because its citizens are non-white.

Wow, dude. So careful to avoid flames, so painfully obvious you're down with the bigotry.

I suppose we should be thankful. Beats the casual crap that gets thrown about as the norm nowadays

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm genuinely impressed that you managed to read all of that and conclude that he's not racist.

Given how hard it is to get people in the US to admit their own racist biases I'm not surprised.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Given how hard it is to get people in the US to admit their own racist biases I'm not surprised.

Glad to see I'm not the only one it's obvious to. With the recent rule amendments regarding dipshit rape fetishists and wannabe political assassins on this forum, it's probably safer not to dwell on this too much. Sad to see SA go to the dogs though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tentacles posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one it's obvious to. With the recent rule amendments regarding dipshit rape fetishists and wannabe political assassins on this forum, it's probably safer not to dwell on this too much. Sad to see SA go to the dogs though

What are you talking about?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To devil's advocate a hair...it's possible that Butcher is coming at it from the angle of "oh I'm just criticizing that government" without any conscious understanding of the racial bias involved in the shoddy reporting on the issue. While this doesn't excuse anything, it's certainly a better look than being a mustache-twirling villain about it, and seems to fit with Butcher's....somewhat juvenile approach to social issues of all sorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are you talking about?

It's literally against current forum rules to get into any political arguments or specific "hot-button" discussion issues outside of specific threads in GBS, D&D and CSPAM (and some associated threads in The Minority Rapport).

Like a lot of other decisions along those lines, these are things the forums at large are left to find out about the hard way.

jivjov posted:

To devil's advocate a hair...it's possible that Butcher is coming at it from the angle of "oh I'm just criticizing that government" without any conscious understanding of the racial bias involved in the shoddy reporting on the issue. While this doesn't excuse anything, it's certainly a better look than being a mustache-twirling villain about it, and seems to fit with Butcher's....somewhat juvenile approach to social issues of all sorts

Doing that while completely ignoring our internal governmental clusterfuck about it is a bad look.