Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Put another $1,500 towards the RV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Do you have a budget?

It sounds good that you're paying down the RV. Are you doing any retirement savings?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Do you have a budget?

It sounds good that you're paying down the RV. Are you doing any retirement savings?

RV Debt Update: The dealership changed their minds after inspection and will be buying the RV outright. They'll be writing us a check for $9,000 and our 10-day payoff is $8,617. They want us to go in Friday to do all of the paperwork. I'm confident we could get more with some time, but the debt being gone is more important to me right now.

The 2.5% 100% match 401k (wife's income) is the retirement savings right now, and we have a 401k from my wife's previous job. Roth IRA contributions will be planned for in our 'permanent' budget though.

We haven't been following a budget since this Coronavirus isolation since we've just been staying at home doing basically nothing besides working (wife works from home now), but I'll be making one this weekend now that the RV is nearly gone. I'll post it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 26, 2020

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you were Zaurg you'd be getting screamed at for not saving enough for retirement. Plan accordingly.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Without zaurg here to be the forums' punching bag, he gonna get yelled at big time

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

... the retirement savings ... will be planned for

We haven't been following a budget

Get your head out of your rear end, Knyteguy.

btw I'm straight up pummeling personal finance into submission since selling my old albatross of a house 1 year ago. Net worth from 151k to 195k in the past year. Maybe your sale of that RV can help catapult you into... well wherever you want to be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

btw I'm straight up pummeling personal finance into submission since selling my old albatross of a house 1 year ago. Net worth from 151k to 195k in the past year. Maybe your sale of that RV can help catapult you into... well wherever you want to be.

Shut the gently caress up Zaurg.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Shut the gently caress up Zaurg.

This is correct. Also tase you're balls.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Keep focusing on your financial successes.. but def start dumping as much money into retirement as possible.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh that's fun there's a notice when multiple people report a message, i never noticed that before

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

oh that's fun there's a notice when multiple people report a message, i never noticed that before

I've seen it probably for reporting the same poster that others have.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Lol Zaurg is such a tool he posted a PYF thread of his own posts and he's the only poster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG glad you got rid of the RV, that's a good, concrete step.

Now budget.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

BloodBag posted:

Lol Zaurg is such a tool he posted a PYF thread of his own posts and he's the only poster.

To be fair, that forum is PMF where only the OP is allowed to post in each thread.

Not that he isn't a tool who huffs his own farts and revels in his minor infamy.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

LeafHouse posted:

To be fair, that forum is PMF where only the OP is allowed to post in each thread.

Not that he isn't a tool who huffs his own farts and revels in his minor infamy.

How will I ever recover? I didn't know we had a livejournal OP only subforum. It's me, I'm the tool in the OP.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Knyteguy posted:

RV Debt Update
Good poo poo, and I agree with you that shifting it and moving on is better than neurotically optimisnig the deal you can get if it's good enough already.

quote:

The 2.5% 100% match 401k (wife's income) is the retirement savings right now

quote:

We haven't been following a budget
Not good enough. The former is driven by the latter and needs fixing. You're not getting any younger and each moment you waste costs you more ground you need to catch up later. Get on top of it now, especially since you're home and not doing anything. You will not ever have as much spare time as now to fix this, so make use of it.

I look forward to reviewing the budget, let's make use of the stay at home time to really get your ducks in a row so that when you're both back to commuting, working, etc. you don't have to struggle to find the time to do the effort stuff then.

zaurg posted:

gently caress off back to the sewer we flushed you down.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
The RV loan is paid off, the paperwork is signed, and we should be getting a few hundred back. What a relief that's finally over with.

I'm having some trouble budgeting right now; we've had a lot of medical bills this month and I need to plan for retirement and also getting us in a home we own next year. We'll tackle the truck after we buy a house. We need $20,000 for a down payment, and I need to figure out what our comfortable affordability is after retirement contributions. Plus location etc.

Max out 2 Roth Ira contributions and keep the 2.5% 100% match? Is that enough?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How much money are you going to need in retirement? You need to start with that number and work backwards.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be clear, this means "income" per month (or year).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How much money are you going to need in retirement? You need to start with that number and work backwards.

I have no idea. Depends on if the house is paid off I guess.

e: trying to figure it out

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 12, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Depends on if the house is paid off I guess.

Exactly. This is why the question is being asked.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Why do you have to buy a house?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

Gotta have debt.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

nikosoft posted:

We don't "have" to buy a house, but it fits our lifestyle well. I want my son to be able to grow up in a community and set of schools, and not have to move around.

Plus rentals are expensive as poo poo here ($2,000+ and rising for a 3BR in a place with even OK schools) and we need the room now that my wife and I both work remotely for the foreseeable future.

https://www.rgj.com/story/money/business/2019/05/20/rent-control-reno-apartment-evictions-rent-hikes/3672442002/

e: and beyond that a large myriad of reasons that are non-financial. As I said it fits our lifestyle well.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 12, 2020

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

People are going to shred you for wanting to buy anything for "lifestyle" reasons. Do the math and prove to yourself that owning a home makes sense. If rentals are that expensive, it should be pretty easy.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
The head has taken a wrong turn regretfully moving deeper into the rear end and at this point may be insurmountable.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

People are going to shred you for wanting to buy anything for "lifestyle" reasons. Do the math and prove to yourself that owning a home makes sense. If rentals are that expensive, it should be pretty easy.

I think the only reason to buy a home is for lifestyle reasons. Financially it can and often does make sense, but the responsibility of owning VS renting (repairs, time, etc) can definitely make it a wash, especially if you don't enjoy those things. I've been reading on this stuff for years (do never buy).

As far as calculators go, it's cheaper to buy a house in Reno even at the tip top of our potential house budget, while assuming we can get a decent deal on rent.

That's with HOA, 8.0% closing costs, 6.5% [NYT calc @ 7%] year over year stock returns (ignoring the fact that $40,000 of the down payment won't exist without a house), rent appreciation much lower than it has been, and home appreciation much lower than it has been. There are of course always unknowns that could happen.

I've read all the articles from financial bloggers and used all of the calculators dozens of times, etc.

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!

zaurg posted:

The head has taken a wrong turn regretfully moving deeper into the rear end and at this point may be insurmountable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zaurg posted:

turn on your monitor you loving idiot

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gold

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
He's talking about buying houses again hahahaha.

I remember the first time I posted in this thread I was learning how to be better with my money and trying to help out with what I learned and I increased my net worth in that period of time by 6 figures (without having to buy a house or game some dumb investment.) thanks goons for all the help Knyte keep trying to buy that house that'll solve everything my guy.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

I think the only reason to buy a home is for lifestyle reasons.

cool you answered your own question

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

cool you answered your own question

What question?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

What question?

nikosoft posted:

Aka buying a house is RV 2.0

Remember how much money you were "going to save" with that plan? And then it was because you wanted that "lifestyle"?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Gotta spend money to make money.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Aka buying a house is RV 2.0

Remember how much money you were "going to save" with that plan? And then it was because you wanted that "lifestyle"?

The alternative being? Should I make my family couch surf for free for optimal spreadsheets? Hell my Grandma has a spare bedroom.

We can afford a house and retirement, fun money, and saving even discounting the likelihood of a house actually being economically beneficial based on my metro area's high rents. I didn't work so hard to this point in my life to never reap the benefits.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why do this thread again? Are we that desperate for a weak version of Zaurg? Just buy the house you want, 4% down is all you need so just save up like 4 grand or whatever gently caress outa here who cares.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Why do this thread again? Are we that desperate for a weak version of Zaurg? Just buy the house you want, 4% down is all you need so just save up like 4 grand or whatever gently caress outa here who cares.

You could take your own advice and unbookmark/stop replying? Are you that desperate for validation and attention that you come in here crazily talking about your net worth going up? We're not joined at the hip homie go make a thread or bragpost if you want. Seems to me you could use some positivity.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm making a point that your dumbass is incapable of listening and had you from the beginning maybe you could have positioned yourself well. You have an opportunity to again but instead you do what you wana do. So gently caress it you go do your thing, and I'll just chill in this thread and make fun of you and the goodwill of goons trying to help you while you ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it took you like five years to sell a truck you weren't even using, if you own a house what makes you think you'll be able to keep up with repairs in a timely manner