Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The weirdest thing for me to get used to was that blocking in the game is Cool and Good. It always feels like a crutch for not being able to parry in action games like this, but no, the game really wants you to do it. Between that and the "queue up some ATB commands then switch to a new character to build their ATB" tip, the game made a lot more sense when playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the emphasis on blocking over dodging took me a long time to get used to. My instinct in action games is to dodge everything (or parry if it's an option) but the lack of i-frames on the dodge in FF7R means that blocking is much more often the better option. There are attacks that you can and even should dodge-roll away from, but again it took me a long time to learn which ones those were.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

VagueRant posted:

Game design peeps: Would it have solved things or helped If they'd showed a new health bar for each phase?

I suppose it'd make it harder to prioritise item use, etc. if you can't tell how long the fight is going to be.

And I guess segmenting the healthbar into phases would spoil the surprises?

You can kind of split the difference by doing the Kingdom Hearts thing with multiple health bars and dots next to that, that tell you how many there are.

Still spoils the "surprise", but I mean, "only the first hit of your Limit Break actually did damage" isn't a good surprise anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The demo didn't put a block on damage dealt when phase transitioning, so I assume it was a choice made later. That said the bosses are still supremely easy to kill, Yes, even that one you just thought of but it very much demands mastery of the system. Honestly if you're chugging phoenix downs and potions to get through a fight...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'd say the one that still gets you the surprise of a new phase while reducing the sting of blowing limits is just to refund limit and ATB that are interrupted by a cutscenes. Bonus: you give the the obsessives who want to wring every bit of power out of the systems a new thing to master, by allowing them to "double up" well times multi-hit attacks. Everyone wins.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

Yeah, it happens to everyone on so many different bosses that they had to be doing it intentionally. I think if the player knows how to build stagger effectively, though, you actually can get the stagger to go off earlier to get to the threshold quicker. IIRC, the phase threshold is entirely HP-based, so they know effectively how much stagger suboptimal play will give you and make the threshold just low enough to reset it.

Honestly I wouldn't mind so much if the transition didn't just completely eat up the damage you were dealing with your limit breaks, though.
It's not just damage that gets eaten by the phase transitions that's frustrating, MP and/or ATB spent on an attack that starts right as a phase transition happens is also lost. So, you were trying to cast Cure on yourself? Too bad, your AI teammate just knocked the boss into the next phase and you just lost that MP without recovering any of your HP. It gets worse when you are fighting a boss that switches locations when starting a new phase, so hey, good luck avoiding the boss that is now right on top of you while at low health.

Capfalcon posted:

I'd say the one that still gets you the surprise of a new phase while reducing the sting of blowing limits is just to refund limit and ATB that are interrupted by a cutscenes.
That could work, but then you'd have to factor in stuff like animation wind-up; I could see a situation where the game hiccups and the refund triggers the attack a second time, but now your character is barrelling head first into an attack from the boss and whoops, your character is tanking the floor now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AradoBalanga posted:

It's not just damage that gets eaten by the phase transitions that's frustrating, MP and/or ATB spent on an attack that starts right as a phase transition happens is also lost.

Don't forget your Limit Break bar!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't forget your Limit Break bar!

That's the worst, limits are already super slow to generate and rare to use with the new system, getting one wasted through no fault of your own is just a bummer.

Barret's so drat slow I think I only saw his limit at all like 4 times over 40 hours of play

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Hargrimm posted:

That's the worst, limits are already super slow to generate and rare to use with the new system, getting one wasted through no fault of your own is just a bummer.

Barret's so drat slow I think I only saw his limit at all like 4 times over 40 hours of play

poo poo, I haven't seen it yet, I don't think.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Honestly if you're chugging phoenix downs and potions to get through a fight...

I humbly apologize for being bad at this game and for not attending the low expectations of not chugging phoenix downs and potions, but judging from my performance on Chapter 3 you will probably see dozens of videos of me performing like someone who's never played a video-game before.

So the exact opposite of the original LP.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

Heh, there's one fight where I managed to fire his off, and it did so much damage (or whatever else the limit-building criteria is) that firing off his Limit gave him a full limit again. Of course, stuff was dead after that and I didn't get to use it, but still.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Elentor posted:

I humbly apologize for being bad at this game and for not attending the low expectations of not chugging phoenix downs and potions, but judging from my performance on Chapter 3 you will probably see dozens of videos of me performing like someone who's never played a video-game before.

I can't believe you haven't completely mastered a game that came out like 4 days ago. -12/5, worst thread ever

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elentor posted:

It's to be expected. I watched a stream of a former FF7 speed run world record holder playing Remake, and he was basically just as poo poo at the game as I was! I've also been watching Briana White's stream (the voice actress for Aerith) and, yep, just some garbage strategy all around, because of course you're going to be worse at a game you've never played than even an average gamer who's already played it.

That's part of what we're all looking forward to in this LP, I think. I could watch someone who is very good at this game and has already played it a few times break it (and indeed there's tons of those on Youtube already), but what I want to watch is someone who had a great understanding of the original compare and contrast Remake to it.

One stream I was watching was complaining about people "being bad at games" and using Elixirs too freely, and he ended the game with like 10 loving elixirs or something stupid because he never used any of them. Who's the bigger idiot then?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty bad at it too, but aside from a few fights where I just can't get a good action economy going, there's nothing really stopping you from just chugging potions. Honestly the only complaint I have about resources is that it seems that MP is way too sparse, or the regen is way too little to be relevant.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Honestly the only complaint I have about resources is that it seems that MP is way too sparse, or the regen is way too little to be relevant.

Can't go into specifics yet without spoiling some key game mechanics, but MP being what it is seems to be an indicator that the game wants you to rely on abilities first over spells.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I had a lot of trouble with the Scorpion fight, but one thing I love about this game is it was the first time in a while I had to meet the game halfway and learn the mechanics to do well. Blocking and swapping members is invaluable yeah.

Granted, like the thread has said there are some flubs to how fights progress. I think the HP meter being sectioned would be a good idea, cuz "a boss has phases" being a spoiler is silly, since it's less about that it has phases and more what happens during those phases that is fine not knowing.

A lot of this game feels like a test run for how the game will work going forward. You can tell they're feeling around, and from what I've seen I have faith that they're taking notes for their next shot.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm pretty bad at it too, but aside from a few fights where I just can't get a good action economy going, there's nothing really stopping you from just chugging potions. Honestly the only complaint I have about resources is that it seems that MP is way too sparse, or the regen is way too little to be relevant.

Biggest problem I found was the death spiral, lose a party member and you're suddenly struggling to use your ATB to toss a phoenix down, but even if you do that you'll need a second bar to heal them, and you need to attack to generate the ATB, but if you do that, you're at risk of taking damage to your other character, and you were already struggling, meanwhile the boss is still attacking - and by then your party is wiped.

Not saying that this didn't happen in other games but I really felt it this time!

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Elentor posted:

By chapter 3 you're also able to buy out 99 Potions so yeah, the game's fine with you just throwing them around at will.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sandbagging is a legitimate strategy. I'm sure we've all done it at one point or another

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Sandbagging is a legitimate strategy. I'm sure we've all done it at one point or another

Or had it done to us in some fan romhacks. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elentor posted:

Apologize for what? Everyone's learning a game for the first time, just because you're a master at OG FF7 isn't going to make you a master of Remake. For some people it doesn't click at all. For others it's like "Oh, I understand everything in the world at this moment." I didn't intend my comments to be an attack on anyone.

EDIT: I liken it to my first time experiencing a new JRPG in fact, usually, you mash the attack command and heal through all damage, probably including grinding levels. If anything, your struggle and potion/phoenix down chugging, means this is a truer remake to FF7 than it could ever have hoped to be.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

You're totally fine Elentor! We all start somewhere and nobody should hold that against us!

Marmaduke! posted:

Biggest problem I found was the death spiral, lose a party member and you're suddenly struggling to use your ATB to toss a phoenix down, but even if you do that you'll need a second bar to heal them, and you need to attack to generate the ATB, but if you do that, you're at risk of taking damage to your other character, and you were already struggling, meanwhile the boss is still attacking - and by then your party is wiped.

Not saying that this didn't happen in other games but I really felt it this time!

This is one thing I'd like to see tweaked; maybe using certain items only takes half an ATB (or they split the meter up more to better divide those kinda things).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Phoenix downs should just heal more HP, so you're not forced to use two ATB bars to get a character back on safe ground when you're already down a character and the boss is focusing on you and being interrupted and losing ATB bars is totally a thing.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
ATB commands definitely feel like they should have more super armor than they do.

Maybe I suck at the game and should be reading tells better than I am, but.

I'm not sure how to feel about phoenix downs restoring more HP, though. Like obviously it's an appealing idea but if they restore too much then you might as well not bother with Raise, since that costs an ATB bar and MP, rather than just an ATB bar. There's some games where items effectively expand your move set (you could even argue that FFVII does that itself, if you know what's good) but FF7R doesn't really fit that. It's really obvious that it wants magic to be really good and thus there's a price for using it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

ATB commands definitely feel like they should have more super armor than they do.

Maybe I suck at the game and should be reading tells better than I am, but.

I'm not sure how to feel about phoenix downs restoring more HP, though. Like obviously it's an appealing idea but if they restore too much then you might as well not bother with Raise, since that costs an ATB bar and MP, rather than just an ATB bar. There's some games where items effectively expand your move set (you could even argue that FFVII does that itself, if you know what's good) but FF7R doesn't really fit that. It's really obvious that it wants magic to be really good and thus there's a price for using it.

It's column A and column B in regards to super armor. your defensive options in this game exist, but it's hard to get the right punish. It's very much a game that rewards hyper-aggression. And Limit Breaks, AT THE LEAST should auto-track and have Super Armor. There is no worse feeling then going into the clutch limit and then being killed out of it, or just having it whiff.

As an aside, Limit's aren't as rare as you'd might suspect. While they do grow from taking damage, they grow rapidly by triggering a stagger, but it really is a need to learn the combat system and every enemies tells and weaknesses, in that way, it's very much more like an action game. The fact limits don't carry over between battles can also feel bad.

For those who've finished the game and are looking to improve, I recommend these videos, there's a lot of interesting tidbits and minutia in the combat that just isn't immediately apparent. It should be clear that, as these cover the characters full movesets, that these videos have spoilers

Cloud Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDm9qTKFSc

Tifa Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeLt51NRts

Aerith Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPTIu87Z-o

Barret Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCq1rwd2aM&t=142s

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

One stream I was watching was complaining about people "being bad at games" and using Elixirs too freely, and he ended the game with like 10 loving elixirs or something stupid because he never used any of them. Who's the bigger idiot then?

Pfffft. I stopped doing that bullshit about five Tales games ago. I will use Elixirs, et cetera, as often as I can. Obviously not in fights with random mooks, but anything miniboss level or higher is fair game. Thus far I've used every Elixir I've picked up in FFVIIR to pull my rear end out of a clutch moment against something.

LiefKatano posted:

I agree on that point 100%. It kinda sucks that any enemy can knock you out of virtually any ATB action, and it's really my only major complaint about the game so far. It feels like I'm playing Dark Souls 3 sometimes. :rant:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've learned the hard way to switch characters as soon as the one I've been actively building up ATB on for an action has the needed bar, so that the enemy's attention is away from the character I need to act.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I just finished my first full run through Hard Mode and I cannot emphasize enough how much I adore the games combat. There’s a few really poo poo bosses Abzu and Abzu 2 but there’s so much fantastic design and detail. I even liked Hell House and I find that fight blows by once you’ve got it down and can really wail on it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't had too much issue with enemies knocking me out of actions, only exceptions were magic which I think the game warns you about, and limits.

gently caress whoever thought it was okay to knock you out of limits.

At least let them finish the attack then drop dead.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ve only been able to watch others playing this, but I figured that the most annoying thing is bosses completely resetting their break gauge once you trigger a phase transition. Especially when it seems like some of them were tuned so that you’d likely meet that threshold just as you’ve almost filled the meter.

Here’s to hoping that they’re taking notes on these criticisms for future chapters of the remake.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I’ve only been able to watch others playing this, but I figured that the most annoying thing is bosses completely resetting their break gauge once you trigger a phase transition. Especially when it seems like some of them were tuned so that you’d likely meet that threshold just as you’ve almost filled the meter.

Here’s to hoping that they’re taking notes on these criticisms for future chapters of the remake.

It's not necessarily that the bosses are set to phase change so that you'll have filled the gauge when it happens... it's that the system rewards knowing how to build stagger fast and maximizing your damage through it. The short of it is

1. Learn what puts an enemy into pressured.
2. Use your Focused X abilities during pressured and NOT outside.
3. Pay attention to elemental weaknesses.

A quick, handy guide to elemental weaknesses, with very few variations

Beasts are weak to Ice.
Humans are weak to Fire.
Robots are weak to Thunder.

Every enemy will go into pressured when hit with enough damage in quick succession. So it's best to use Magic to set that up, then, once the enemy is pressured (which also knocks them out of attacks, typically) hammer on with Focused attacks, which, for example with Barret, his Focused Shot builds more stagger the more bars it consumes of ATB, and he can easily take the bar to 75% from 0 with two bars. A single focused thrust from Cloud should drive the enemy into stagger.

It's an action economy and efficiency. If by the time you hit the phase change, you've also hit the stagger, then you were probably using Focused attacks outside of pressure or didn't know how to get the enemy into pressured state.

That's why getting stuck in a heal loop is so awkward because you're not making progress. You also should block more when the enemy does get off attacks, blocking boosts ATB where dodging doesn't, even if you can avoid damage. Any time an enemy with a machine gun is firing, each of those hits is going to send your ATB skyrocketing with a block.

Another thing to realize is that Cloud's parry in Punisher mode can

1. Parry more than you think it can.
2. Can be triggered in the transition to punisher mode by hitting Triangle and getting hit during the white flash in Cloud's animation.
3. Does more counter damage when timing it correctly.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Onmi posted:

It's not necessarily that the bosses are set to phase change so that you'll have filled the gauge when it happens... it's that the system rewards knowing how to build stagger fast and maximizing your damage through it. The short of it is

I don't understand what your post has to do with boss phase changes.

I also am not sure that a blind LP thread in chapter 1 is the best place for a game mechanics deep dive.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It was a follow-up to "boss phase changes don't necessarily have to coincide with the stagger gauge filling up".

I mean, I'd agree that going super-in-depth on stuff like this isn't exactly needed at this point, perhaps, but it's not like it was totally irrelevant to the conversation.

That said even if it does get better with system mastery that doesn't make it any less incredibly frustrating to deal with while you're learning the systems, which every player will have to deal with unless they're, most likely, some sort of savant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A bit late to the party, but have we talked about how insanely good the music is?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

A bit late to the party, but have we talked about how insanely good the music is?

By golly, you're right!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's quite acceptable

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Plushiroth for final villain.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Plushiroth for final villain.

That'd just be phase one. Phase two is Nendoroid Sephiroth, phase 3 is Revoltech Sephiroth, and the final phase is Perfect Grade Sephiroth.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AradoBalanga posted:

That'd just be phase one. Phase two is Nendoroid Sephiroth, phase 3 is Revoltech Sephiroth, and the final phase is Perfect Grade Sephiroth.

Does that mean we'd face 3-4 versions of Funko POP! Jenova?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Does that mean we'd face 3-4 versions of Funko POP! Jenova?
3 Funko POPs and one Figma Jenova, actually.

Unfortunately, Hojo gets stuck using a bootleg version.