Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Aramoro posted:

So in your opinion what shows a system of governance doesn't work? Baring in mind the only thing that matters about a system of governance are the outcomes for it's people.

A systematic analysis of the economic outcomes (Marx, Polanyi whoever) or moral outcomes (Kropotkin, Bakunin etc etc).

If the limits of our analysis end at what exists today then no change is possible, fortunately no such limit exists. You only have to go back a few hundred years to find a world where capitalism didn't exist except in the mind's eye of a few dutch merchants; today it rules the world.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jose posted:

school is back on monday

Not in Lancashire! :cryingredrose:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, I saw on the news yesterday that the Tories stepped in on a planning issue to save one of their donors £40m.
Tower Hamlets were going to reject a planning application, or at least review it for long enough that new rules would have come in costing the developer £40m, but the Tory Minister for Graft du jour rubber-stamped it.

When asked about it, the Minister (and no, I cba looking for a link) basically said "Yeah, we know it looks like corruption, smells like corruption and is basically corruption, but that's absolutely a coincidence".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like this scam has updated itself for 5G.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Honestly, anyone who thinks they need protection from 5G deserves to be scammed like this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pff, loving USB key. I bet it's not even radioactive and can't even channel my orgones to block chemtrails.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

OwlFancier posted:

I had a guy in 2019 who was very angry about goordon broon selling all the poonds.

But he was apparently still a "lifelong labour voter"

I had a guy who wouldn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn "Because he's going to bankrupt the country by selling it to the IRA." How do you even respond to that?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

Looks like the Cummings thing is drifting out of the papers now.

I've just written to my (Tory) MP, just to add what little fuel to the fire that I can; you all should too!

they're not done yet

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1265971106789429250

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

The death rate from COVID-19 would not have been zero whatever they did.

It could have been kept well below 10k with appropriate action.

Albeit at least some of that action would have needed to be taken 5+ years ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ferrosol posted:

I had a guy who wouldn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn "Because he's going to bankrupt the country by selling it to the IRA." How do you even respond to that?
"The journal of The Economic and Social History Society of Ireland shows that the IRA would probably run the economy better than the Tories."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's Barry Homeowner and I refuse to call him by any other name.

Speaking of Mince I saw Andy Dawson got himself into bother by tweeting he wanted to kick Gove in the balls in front of his (Gove's) children.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My sister's going spare. She and her husband have been taking supplies to my mum for 10 weeks now (mother 82) with all of them strictly self isolating apart from that. But mother's starting to cheat. She's had workmen round to do jobs (claims they're keeping distance but almost certainly not sanitising door handles etc) and was going to go to a funeral this afternoon - getting a lift in a car "but it's only people who live round here" (here being a tiny hamlet on the England side of the border with Wales). Sister's husband is over 65. They're the only people who can take stuff to mother because I don't drive and the bus service which is crap at the best of times is virtually non existent now. Also lives on Welsh side of border and we're still in lockdown.
Anyway I called mother and told her off and said if she didn't behave sister would not be able to visit for a month. And made her swear not to sneak off to the funeral (she doesn't even know the woman who died of a stroke) and just not tell us.
She said she's not going to do a Cummings and if there had just been one word of apology on Sunday maybe that would have helped but there wasn't.
(Mother votes green these days but is a Tory at heart and has voted Tory most of her life. She's of the 'brisk walk and pull yourself together" variety of sympathy to people in distress.)
Now my sister is plaguing me with 'what shall I do' messages. I've said she'll have to have a full and frank discussion with mum but I don't know what else I can say.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

"The journal of The Economic and Social History Society of Ireland shows that the IRA would probably run the economy better than the Tories."

This reminds me of an actual line in the McDonalds website FAQ - "I heard McDonalds gives money to the IRA!! Answer: No, in the US that stands for a pension thing, that's why it says how much money we're giving to the IRA on people's paycheckques"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I like Bob

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I got a train yesterday to do some proper shopping at a supermarket rather than the same 8 things from the only shop in town. They've put these sleeves over seats that will be repurposed by instagram models before summers over;

You thought commuting was bad before, try taking away half the seats then make the temperature unbearable. Back to work plebs!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

This reminds me of an actual line in the McDonalds website FAQ - "I heard McDonalds gives money to the IRA!! Answer: No, in the US that stands for a pension thing, that's why it says how much money we're giving to the IRA on people's paycheckques"

I always assumed it was some sort of financial thing but it's still funny when you hear about yanks talking about money going to the IRA :v:

Including when it's actually the IRA.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I always have to stop myself from reading IMF as Interplanetary Magnetic Field when most of the time it's International Monetary Fund.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

XMNN posted:

at least the lady who in early march declared the whole thing overblown because it had "only killed 3 people" and whose primary concern re: a global pandemic was that her make up artist for her wedding might get it just before her big day has had to cancel her wedding (again) lol

Lmao.

(I'm allowed laugh because I had to cancel my wedding. I kinda made my peace with that in early Feb tho because it's a destination wedding in NY, and Trump was always going to gently caress this one)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I got for Impossible Missions Force on IMF.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

rules for one

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1265938579764772864?s=20

K9
May 6, 2007

Conservative Home posted:

He then proceeded to spend two and a half years in a bunker he and his father built for him on their farm in Durham, reading science and history and trying to understand the world.

from https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/05/a-profile-of-dominic-cummings-friend-of-gove-and-enemy-of-clegg.html

I've heard it described as a "property" or "cottage". Also "more of an air raid shelter", "underground".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

K9 posted:

from https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/05/a-profile-of-dominic-cummings-friend-of-gove-and-enemy-of-clegg.html

I've heard it described as a "property" or "cottage". Also "more of an air raid shelter", "underground".

Cummings definitely strikes me as the kind of person to spend a lot of time in a bunker.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/TomButler/status/1265983387032002561

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

The NY Times posted:

For several months rumors have circulated in Britain and the U.S. that McDonald's, the fast-food chain, has given financial support to the Irish Republican Army through Noraid, the I.R.A.'s North American fund-raising group. McDonald's itself couldn't figure where the implausible charge came from, and denied it flatly at every opportunity. But the rumor, and the mystery, persisted.

Now The Economist of London has tracked it down. One of its sleuths discovered that, some time back, on a financial talk show carried by the Cable News Network, McDonald's was cited for its generosity in contributing to employees' Individual Retirement Accounts - commonly called I.R.A.'s on this side of the Atlantic. But CNN can be viewed overseas now, via satellite, and in Britain I.R.A. means something else entirely.

Mystery solved. Rumor quashed. But not the cautionary question: Is the world really ready for modern telecommunications?
:lmao:

OwlFancier posted:

I always assumed it was some sort of financial thing but it's still funny when you hear about yanks talking about money going to the IRA :v:

Including when it's actually the IRA.
The best one was that Boston senator who went off on one on twitter after some well publicized killings of American police officers about how anyone who in any way supports the killing of police should be ejected from society and then pictures surfaced of him handing huge checks to the PIRA in the 80s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

pictures surfaced of him handing huge checks to the PIRA in the 80s.

Thank you for the mental image of an american with an 80's business haircut handing a large novelty game show check to several men in balaclavas.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The IRA going on Bullseye to raise funds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And here's Bully's star prize, a maroon Vauxhall Cavalier.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Excuse the self-tweet posting:

https://twitter.com/gazchap/status/1265992106914582533

Daniel Kawcynzski has landed himself in *more* hot water today. The guy's an absolute arse.

He's put his name (signing "for Shrewsbury Town Football Club") on an open letter to the FA/EFL supporting a move to restart the football season.

STFC have responded with a public statement confirming that they haven't been consulted about this at all, and their own public statement last week confirms that they absolutely do NOT want to restart the season - not only for health and safety concerns but because to do so they have worked out would kill them financially.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is he the one who wanted Wales to stop existing so that he could go to the seaside or was that one of the other Shropshire Tories?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Interesting that Switzerland has been easing measures for weeks is getting almost completely out of lock down on Monday, after a generally lighter touch approach than us for the entire period. Schools went back weeks ago, though they did close them a week before we did.

I wonder in the final accounting how much difference various levels of lock down will be judged to have made. The results seem so random between different countries.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of Mince I saw Andy Dawson got himself into bother by tweeting he wanted to kick Gove in the balls in front of his (Gove's) children.

It's more serious than you can imagine:

https://twitter.com/TFTimeMachine/status/1265366186595889155

Despite this, the big guns are still trained on them:

https://twitter.com/UkPodcasting/status/1265673817667645440

(FR I think Andy had a bit of a meltdown and flounce, not for the first time. Reading between the lines of his tweets and a few comments on TFTM a while ago I think there's some family/home issues, I know he's going through a divorce and there's been hints of problems with his kids. Hopefully Greggs reopening will let him reset his demons)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Thank you for the mental image of an american with an 80's business haircut handing a large novelty game show check to several men in balaclavas.

Talked about this on disco Elysium stream a couple weeks back, but I really want a giant novelty cheque and have been tempted to buy one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The best one was that Boston senator who went off on one on twitter after some well publicized killings of American police officers about how anyone who in any way supports the killing of police should be ejected from society and then pictures surfaced of him handing huge checks to the PIRA in the 80s.

It's amazing how quickly IRA-related charities and fundraising organisations suddenly became outlawed terrorist organisations after 9/11.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(FR I think Andy had a bit of a meltdown and flounce, not for the first time. Reading between the lines of his tweets and a few comments on TFTM a while ago I think there's some family/home issues, I know he's going through a divorce and there's been hints of problems with his kids. Hopefully Greggs reopening will let him reset his demons)

He admitted somewhere that the whole 'Get In The Sea' gimmick was both really therapeutic but simultaneously toxic, but I wish he'd bring back Diana In Heaven personally

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Saros posted:

Union rep right now. A PIP is almost always a prelude to trying to show you the door.

Okay, I've sent a query over the Unite website, I don't know what representation is like in my org and I didn't feel like I could ask 9n the Slack or anything, so just joined Unite because it seemed the best fit.

My line manager is now asking if I can sign the PIP agreement and I've said I'm seeking advice, should I tell them I'm talking to a Union?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

:lmao:

Most Americans only learned that terrorism isn't nice in September 2001

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

peanut- posted:

Interesting that Switzerland has been easing measures for weeks is getting almost completely out of lock down on Monday, after a generally lighter touch approach than us for the entire period. Schools went back weeks ago, though they did close them a week before we did.

I wonder in the final accounting how much difference various levels of lock down will be judged to have made. The results seem so random between different countries.

The 'doing it a week earlier' thing will have made a huge difference.

The specific measures seem to have made much less difference than the timescales AFAICT.

Which isn't really surprising given that the big, big problem with this disease is its two week asymptomatic transmission period, so a week earlier closing means a week less time of infected people wandering around infecting others, and once there's a pool of infected people out in the pubilc, it's very difficult for it to go away again, because essentially everyone needs to go out of their house roughly once a week at least for food, and some of them will transmit it during that time.

It won't have made ALL the difference (IIRC Switzerland has a good and well-funded healthcare system) but it will have made some.

Not to mention that Switzerland has a population smaller than London's in a land area about half the size of the whole UK, and population density makes a HUUUUUUGE difference to transmission rates.

But my best guess is that acting early and isolating it before it can spread is by far the most important factor in how well countries responded. Act soon, avoid deaths. Act late, you just murdered 60 thousand people. No specific reason for that number at all.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's more serious than you can imagine:

https://twitter.com/TFTimeMachine/status/1265366186595889155

Despite this, the big guns are still trained on them:

https://twitter.com/UkPodcasting/status/1265673817667645440

I have no idea who this guy is and haven't listened to the podcast. But UK Podcasting Federation is a joke, right? Their twitter account is all of 3 days old. If it's not, then goddamn.

Also, they can gently caress off with 'podfluencers'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
pod flouncers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

pod flouncers

plod noncers

e: yes I went to edit a two-word joke, sue me

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 28, 2020