Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol zuckerfuck sucks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

How hard would it be to make a law making orders that fall just short of benefit thresholds illegal?

Very because if 89 day orders are the new “real” threshold then orders will just be for 88 days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PeterCat posted:

How hard would it be to make a law making orders that fall just short of benefit thresholds illegal?

That just moves the threshold. Illegal to make orders stop two days or less to the line? Now they all stop three days short. The only way to address that is eliminate the thresholds and pay benefits regardless of duration.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

It's been commented on quite a bit by media, but there's a bit of a mitigating circumstance - he likely didn't watch the whole thing, or he's an idiot that didn't check, or his staff didn't watch the whole thing, or his staff is a bunch of idiots.

In a better universe, "the president only accidentally called for the deaths of millions of Americans" really wouldn't work as a defense, but you're probably right.

PeterCat posted:

I'd expect it's harder than you might think; unless you completely restructure how the system works there's always going to be some threshold and there will always be an incentive to push right up to that threshold. Maybe some kind of graduated system that slowly ramps up the benefits, but even then you're probably going to have break points where they can toe the line.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/26/rio-tinto-blasts-46000-year-old-aboriginal-site-to-expand-iron-ore-mine

Fuuuuuck...

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Midjack posted:

That just moves the threshold. Illegal to make orders stop two days or less to the line? Now they all stop three days short. The only way to address that is eliminate the thresholds and pay benefits regardless of duration.

Make training (including basic and AIT or whatever the air NG calls them) count as active duty time.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 28, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I thought basic/AIT did count.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'm reminded of something Carlin said back in the mid-2000s:

"The Axis might've lost World War II, but fascism won."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Christ, that's like dynamiting Meadowcroft Rockshelter but worse on every level.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

hobbesmaster posted:

All the cops in the twin cities not barricading themselves inside their precinct were forming a human wall around the murder's house. I don't think they're going to hang him out to dry.

https://twitter.com/theelovelylaya/status/1265899290825818112

Jesus Christ

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

I think you could do it if you required a mean or median length of orders. If you establish that the median order length shall be 91 days, then for every 89 day order, you have to have a 91 day order somewhere anyway. This can be controlled by using quartiles (40% must be over, 70% must be over, etc). The fiscal min-max strategy I see emerging there becomes low-travel-cost short term orders in high quantity for and longer term sets of orders. This might be good because you can bank continuity and turnover of duties into the role, or pad out positions with workups and debriefs/reporting requirements. This could have a negative effect on how many short-term orders would be available for those that want them (do people want them?). There might be less options for the flexibility.

But you do have have to ask, what is the point of the reserves? It appears there are two benefits to a reservist over adding another full-time billet: A part-timer is cheaper to employ as necessary than keeping someone on full time; and having people trained up and ready to flex offers a threat of rapid plussing up/option in times of need. I personally also think there's a benefit to having people work a civilian job where they can get outside skills and ideas and bring them back into the military, but I don't know if that's an organizational objective.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I mean jesus christ at least the assholes that looted Iraqs cultural heritage got something out of it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

On the lighter side of this horrible hosed up week, here's the two best tweets about Amy Cooper that I've found:

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1265345354775646210

https://twitter.com/merrythedog/status/1265532405865119744

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Apparently Zuckerbot went on Fox News this morning to lambast Twitter fact checking Trump.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1265790114455838731

Ugh this kind of all or nothing thinking Zuck and other tech bros do. "We can't fact check everyone!" well how about just fact check the extremely online president. Not even censor for wrongthink, just you know, review for basic demonstrable fact.

If Trump manages to say he thinks Facebook should be broken up, or better yet, nationalized, Maybe that'll do it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/craigmelvin/status/1266035393624977410

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

For iron.

Bullshit. Trying to wipe out history of the natives is the true motives

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Eyes Have It posted:

Ugh this kind of all or nothing thinking Zuck and other tech bros do. "We can't fact check everyone!" well how about just fact check the extremely online president. Not even censor for wrongthink, just you know, review for basic demonstrable fact.

If Trump manages to say he thinks Facebook should be broken up, or better yet, nationalized, Maybe that'll do it.

Zuckerberg is much, more savvy than he appears. His public persona is so bizarre, it seems to be largely a character he's putting on as far as I can tell. In private he is very nuanced and observant and willing to get lost in every small detail of the grey areas instead of the bizarre binary thinking he always shows in public.

Anyway, his only concern right now is positioning the company to fight the coming anti-trust action that will hammer him any day now. Every decision and statement revolves around that political fight, he doesn't give a poo poo about anything else. Currently that means they need the GOP, but that calculation could change at any moment.

The DOJ/FTC is currently so corrupt you have to pander to Trump cronies if you need any political capital at all. That's just the reality for many large companies.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 28, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

For iron.

Bullshit. Trying to wipe out history of the natives is the true motives

It's bleakly funny how for all of thew racism there is in America, Australia does things like this that make Americans go :stare:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

This is cartoonishly evil, gently caress

Love to destroy irreplaceable cultural heritage to obtain more relatively common money rock

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And it's not even a cool or difficult-to-find money rock like uranium or one of the rare earth. It's loving iron, the dry hump of ores.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Straya gonna straya

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

All the cops in the twin cities not barricading themselves inside their precinct were forming a human wall around the murder's house. I don't think they're going to hang him out to dry.

https://twitter.com/theelovelylaya/status/1265899290825818112

The real thin blue line.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Including a “no backsies” clause is an interesting legal technology.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/moonpalacebooks/status/1266001487081230337?s=21

Rioters aren’t indiscriminately torching buildings.

I’m gonna buy a book from this place today.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

lol zuckerfuck sucks so much

Officially worse than Jack. What a feat!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

*Insert something about how Target deserves it gently caress everything hope is dead burn it all down at least when I'm dead and gone eventually everyone who knew me will also die and it'll be as though I never existed nihlism reigns supreme*

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BigDave posted:

*Insert something about how Target deserves it gently caress everything hope is dead burn it all down at least when I'm dead and gone eventually everyone who knew me will also die and it'll be as though I never existed nihlism reigns supreme*

I am not from the area but it looks like looters had enough sense to loot the nicer areas instead of loving over the poor dumb bastards trying to eek out a living in the hood part of town.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're targeting corporate stores for the most part. A notable exception being the pawn shop guy who killed a looter. They cleaned that place out when he was hauled away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/loloverruled/status/1266026218006200321?s=21

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They're targeting corporate stores for the most part. A notable exception being the pawn shop guy who killed a looter. They cleaned that place out when he was hauled away.

I don't intend to generalize from my personal experiences here, just giving a perspective. What I saw when I was with the Ferguson BLM protests (non indictment in the fall, not the initial summer protests after the killing) was like this. Cop cars torched and corporate stores were smashed and burned, but just a few more blocks down the street from the police station (the main gathering place) there was a wine bar and brew pub and so on. As the protest moved down the road, it more or less spontaneously dispersed when it got to that section and left those businesses alone despite being white and bougie. It's not mindless violence, there are deliberate messages especially when the protests are organized.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought basic/AIT did count.

Nope, it's specifically exempted in language all over the place for guard members.

For instance, FAFSA has its own definition of veteran. I have a few friends on Title 32 orders right now in the guard, and this change will get them the 90 days to receive VA benefits like the post 9/11. FAFSA, however, only considers a guard member a veteran if they served at least one day on federal active duty (title 10 orders in the guard) for purposes other than training meaning that private joe idiot on an active duty contract who pops hot at reception and gets an entry-level separation with one day of service is considered a veteran by FAFSA, but SPC jimmy who has x years of successful service in the guard, who was on federal orders for 3-12+ months for initial training that he successfully completed, did 90+ days on Title 32 orders for this and gets some VA benefits, but has never been federally activated on title 10 for anything but training is not.

In practice this example means one of my friends whose parents can't afford to help him go to school is basically living in poverty. Ohio has a guard scholarship that pays his tuition, but he receives zero federal aid because his EFC is too high. He won't be able to use his military status to petition to be declared financially independent until he turns 24 (like anybody else), or until he gets even a single day on title 10 orders for other than training purposes. The same applied to me; I received zero aid for my first year of college, but as soon as I turned 24 I filed to be declared financially independent, and my EFC went to 0. I then started to receive a full Pell Grant, along with several other state grants. Now I even get a needs-based scholarship that was based on FAFSA eligibility and it makes my life pretty comfortable financially while I'm in school.

The guard gets the weenie in its own special ways.

rifles fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Officially worse than Jack. What a feat!

Not that Jack is good, but he’s an order of magnitude less bad than Zuck. He at least attempts to not seem like he’s only in it for the money. Twitter is now fact checking trump or not running political ads, and he donated a bunch of his personal money for decent causes, most recently COVID. Not to mention he doesn’t seem to have political aspirations.

He could still do a bunch more to be in a decent person category, but he’s hands down less bad than Zuckerberg.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's bleakly funny how for all of thew racism there is in America, Australia does things like this that make Americans go :stare:

Don't forget the offshore concentration camps! Australia in general is pretty racist, but they take it to a whooooole other level for aborigines, it's hosed.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Say goodbye to Klobuchar’s chances at VP!

https://theweek.com/speedreads/916926/amy-klobuchar-declined-prosecute-officer-center-george-floyds-death-after-previous-conduct-complaints

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, stick a comb in her VP aspirations, she’s done. There’s no buffing this one out of your record.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Not that Jack is good, but he’s an order of magnitude less bad than Zuck. He at least attempts to not seem like he’s only in it for the money. Twitter is now fact checking trump or not running political ads, and he donated a bunch of his personal money for decent causes, most recently COVID. Not to mention he doesn’t seem to have political aspirations.

He could still do a bunch more to be in a decent person category, but he’s hands down less bad than Zuckerberg.

My impression is that Dorsey is weird but self-aware, like he acknowledges he stumbled upon some ideas now worth billions. Zuck gets the robot/alien memes because he lacks the self-awareness, and thinks he deserves every bit of the billions that FB is worth. Before VCs pushed Zuck to pursue all the sketchy invasive aspects of FB that he didn't foresee, he just wanted a way to creep on fellow students.

Looking back, tech/VC of the mid-00s was weird and wildly speculative. I'd argue the real cornerstones were Apple, Amazon, and Google mainly for iPhones, AWS, and Android, but they couldn't have done it without humans innate desire to creep on people/see the other side.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Don't forget the offshore concentration camps! Australia in general is pretty racist, but they take it to a whooooole other level for aborigines, it's hosed.

Reading about Aussie/ex-pat behavior in Bali and SE Asia is very disappointing. Anecdotally it's interesting seeing entitlement as countries become wealthier, which ones have had a reckoning with their pasts/had justice & egalitarian values instilled (NZ), and which are lacking/slow (Brazil, Australia). There's like a nouveau riche factor

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 28, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Get ready for some fingerwagging about how property damage is going too far though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What you're seeing right now is backlash against a system that values material wealth over human lives. Target is part of that system. gently caress yeah, Target deserves it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

What you're seeing right now is backlash against a system that values material wealth over human lives. Target is part of that system. gently caress yeah, Target deserves it.

...they really painted a Target on themselves, didn’t they :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Isn't their HQ in Minneapolis?