Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol I just remembered how many people bring in there own wipes for the carts but don't wear a mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

brugroffil posted:

I think the longer term goal is to get to a point where infections are low enough and testing high enough that you can smoother out infection clusters when they pop up without them exploding.

but we're sorta skipping a lot of steps along the way!

We aren't doing anything at all to prevent the spread of disease. Nothing.

We should have spent the past two months developing comprehensive testing, quarantine, and contact tracing plans.

We didn't do any of it lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how much people will trust a grocery chain more than the government. They really believe corporations care. Even after the past 20 years they still have faith.

The propaganda that the people in charge of the government have been spreading about how government doesn't work (because they broke it) has been pretty effective

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

wheres the website

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We should have spent the past two months developing comprehensive testing, quarantine, and contact tracing plans.

More like Pittsburg Covid Cloud

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

snoo posted:

am i just too stupid to understand why expanded testing is supposed to be good specifically for reopening

if the numbers are higher the more you're testing then it's more widespread than previously known

it doesn't change it from being a disease that knocks you on your rear end for weeks, or could land you in the ICU

it's only half the story

you need massively expanded testing AND low new case counts. that way you can trace and isolate all of the new cases that do appear.

which is what drives me crazy when i post "lol State x has 1200 new cases today" and someone jumps in to defend "their" state with BUT TESTING WENT UP

like, that's great that you identified the shitload of cases you have. but you still have a shitload of cases.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

COVID-420 posted:

it's only half the story

you need massively expanded testing AND low new case counts. that way you can trace and isolate all of the new cases that do appear.

which is what drives me crazy when i post "lol State x has 1200 new cases today" and someone jumps in to defend "their" state with BUT TESTING WENT UP

like, that's great that you identified the shitload of cases you have. but you still have a shitload of cases.

that's exactly what i'm running into, to the point where these dumbasses are saying 'you're fear mongering by saying how many new cases there are in your headline!!!!'

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Honestly Snoo's high tech barrier virus defense shield is a pretty good summary of how we're handling this nationally and locally

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Squizzle posted:

thinking about and appreciating the enduring chaos that will unfold as a consequence of a pandemic striking in the middle of a decennial census as we enter a critical threshold for action on climate change

you mean as we continue to rocket past the critical threshold for action on climate change

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

im so happy i risked going to a citymd to get my antibody test to only be told a week later the tests were garbage. they are never going to get testing under control.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

Honestly Snoo's high tech barrier virus defense shield is a pretty good summary of how we're handling this nationally and locally

i don't know what they've done since then, but the store has fully reopened and there are no customer or item limits anymore :~)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

haven't you heard? tracing programs are COMMUNISM :byodood:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I just noticed that my city's hospital bed and ICU capacity was quietly updated from 32%/30% available to 25%/22% available in one day, taking the ICU capacity below the re-opening cutoff

5/27/2020: https://archive.is/WFke5
Now: https://www.asafenashville.org/roadmap-for-reopening-nashville/

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 17:30 on May 28, 2020

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

can anyone find hand sanitizer, gloves or disposable masks yet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Der Meister posted:

yeah u can buy masks on amazon now

and gloves

and freedom

amazon is ur government now

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm honestly really surprised anything is being updated at all and we haven't just gone dark

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Maryland and Virginia are already reporting twice as many new cases today as they had yesterday.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

thinking about and appreciating the enduring chaos that will unfold as a consequence of a pandemic striking in the middle of a decennial census as we enter a critical threshold for action on climate change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJLaLe6PDw

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

galenanorth posted:

I just noticed that my city's hospital bed and ICU capacity was quietly updated from 32%/30% available to 25%/22% available in one day, taking the ICU capacity below the re-opening cutoff

I’ve been trying to find Nashville ICU info, thanks!

I’d like to see Memphis as well, but no luck.

we are so hosed

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maryland and Virginia are already reporting twice as many new cases today as they had yesterday.

Good thing northern Virginia is set to open er up on Phase 1 starting tomorrow

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
hell yeah

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

snoo posted:

am i just too stupid to understand why expanded testing is supposed to be good specifically for reopening

if the numbers are higher the more you're testing then it's more widespread than previously known

it doesn't change it from being a disease that knocks you on your rear end for weeks, or could land you in the ICU

In theory increased testing means that contact tracing becomes more effective since you can just test everyone who had contact with a confirmed case and catch at least a few who are asymptomatic before they can spread it further

But that approach requires efficient contact tracing, so lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Der Meister posted:

Sanitizer and gloves yes, disposable masks no

And don't get me started on disinfecting wipes

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Lansdowne posted:

don't have the tweet but if you want direct sources the provisional death count from the cdc says florida has 5200 pneumonia deaths so far this year

combined with florida health dept stats say that pneumonia deaths are typically ~2 or 3 thousand for the entire year

It's worse, here are the numbers when you separate pneumonia and influenza:

source

Last 4 months they're almost two times their three-year ANNUAL average.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we never locked down either lamo

Apr 7, 2003

Der Meister posted:

Costco's got hand sanitizer

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Der Meister posted:

My local store was packed with some weird brand sanitizer last week. You can get pre-infected masks from Wuhan on Amazon.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
You can buy rubbing alcohol here and it now comes in a little bottle shaped like a bear. It looks like a bottle of honey.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Burn Zone posted:

I’ve been trying to find Nashville ICU info, thanks!

I’d like to see Memphis as well, but no luck.

we are so hosed

I work end of life care in Nashville and work quite closely with Vanderbilt ICU folks, they're seeing a surge of covid patients in ICU from outside of Davidson County

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

"scant" optimism, I said

also there's a big difference between reading about this poo poo safely at home, and going into work and seeing it live and for real after almost 10 weeks sitting at home

yeah fair enough I suppose.

but yeah rip America. there will be no second lockdown ever, no second wave, just exponentiating curve to the stratosphere. strap in boys

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

In theory increased testing means that contact tracing becomes more effective since you can just test everyone who had contact with a confirmed case and catch at least a few who are asymptomatic before they can spread it further

But that approach requires efficient contact tracing, so lol

forget efficient contact tracing, we aren't even doing any contact tracing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve seen stories of states and counties doing ad hoc tracing but not much or organized well

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mayor Dave posted:

Sanitizer and gloves yes, disposable masks no

And don't get me started on disinfecting wipes
Wipes aren't going to be in normal stock for a long time. They've been running at max production capacity for months but demand is just too high and isn't going down any time soon.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

galenanorth posted:

Lol yeah chuds run this place, they don't give a poo poo about guidelines or procedure. The literal owner of my company said they "can't do anything to force people to wear masks if they don't want to" in response to my concerns. TN sucks.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Walmart (or Sam’s Club) usually has hand sanitizer, just order online and pick it up in the store to guarantee you get it. No need to walk through a Walmart only to find they’re sold out. I don’t know about Walmart, but my local Sam’s Club has shitloads of disposable masks. I originally ordered some masks from Amazon but they weren’t that good, the metal nose piece was pretty flimsy. However, the ones I bought from Sam’s Club are better quality. Funny story, back in early April when masks weren’t available in the States, a friend in China sent hundreds of dollars worth masks for me to give to his family here. We thought they were seized by Chinese customs or someone snagged the package when they figured out it was masks, but after weeks of no movement the tracking number shows they’re scheduled to arrive next week, two months late lmao.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wipes aren't going to be in normal stock for a long time. They've been running at max production capacity for months but demand is just too high and isn't going down any time soon.

Judging from how much we're using them at work I think demand's likely to double or triple over the summer as the rest of the country reopens.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Thoguh posted:

God drat it, I hate the reporting on this

Headline and opening paragraph:

Buried 2/3 of the way down:

80% of the people who tested positive hadn't shown any symptoms at the point in time that they tested positive. The paper does not say that they followed up to see if any of those people later developed symptoms so we have no clue what percentage of Covid cases are asymptomatic. We just know that there is an incubation period.

the same thing happened when they found 280 or whatever asymptomatic infected people at the meatpacking plant a month and a half ago. i tried finding any follow-up about whether or not they developed symptoms but there was nothing. terrible journalism

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

snoo posted:

this is an oversimplified look at test positivity rate which is a limited metric, but it's light years ahead of anything we're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ewlQs8CAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

SKULL.GIF posted:

forget efficient contact tracing, we aren't even doing any contact tracing.

nah most states are hiring contact tracers, chicago is hiring 600, san jose has hired 50, etc etc

is it lovely and late and bad? yes. will some dedicated public health and social workers at least try to protect their communities? also yes.

thank you for posting your restaurant trip report. what state/city are you in? i worked in restaurants for most of my adult life and it was never easy but you described a nightmare and i believe every word. feeling for you goon.