Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm still LAMS restricted, so a bolt or sportster's out, and the rebel 500 is... small. Like, physically small, while the vstar is way less cramped, or at least that's how it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How long you got to go before your full? Pretty much anything lams and cruisery is such a small step up it's barely worth it at all IMO, if you want a cruiser. I can see in your situation a vstar ticks all the boxes but I'm convinced if you ride one you'll be put off immediately. Maybe I'm wrong, try it!

If you're open to a more normal bike then it's easy, there's like half a dozen things that would serve you admirably, and even a few that can be converted from LAMS to full power, invisibly (to anyone without a Dyno), for zero dollars.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

How long you got to go before your full? Pretty much anything lams and cruisery is such a small step up it's barely worth it at all IMO, if you want a cruiser. I can see in your situation a vstar ticks all the boxes but I'm convinced if you ride one you'll be put off immediately. Maybe I'm wrong, try it!

If you're open to a more normal bike then it's easy, there's like half a dozen things that would serve you admirably, and even a few that can be converted from LAMS to full power, invisibly (to anyone without a Dyno), for zero dollars.

Oh, I rode a couple already and found them... ok. Not as fun, yeah, but for sitting on the highway they felt much nicer.

Got about two and a half years of LAMS yet, and a whole lot of highway riding.

Gonna be looking at getting a dedicated dirt bike next year too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sell your Intruder, buy a dr650 with a spare set of rims, problem solved.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well the guy's just started getting weird about exactly when and where to meet and it's giving me bad vibes so this probably isn't happening.

I'll try to have a go on a dr650 but I can't imagine that kind of bike being more comfortable for hours on the highway. The kawasaki... (poo poo I can't remember, similar to that, Versys maybe?) klr650 felt like it was gonna be uncomfortable after an hour or two.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 28, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Take a look at the Vulcan S. That should be ideal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh yeah? Looks way more complicated to maintain, but I'm open to the idea and ABS is appealing. What's cool about it? What sucks?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cool stuff: it is efi strapped to an engine that's been around since the early 90's, the bike is mostly parts-bin stuff, they are extremely reliable and reasonably quick and nimble. More like a cruiser-shaped naked bike than a traditional cruiser.

Not so cool stuff: they are ugly and have a parallel twin, the lamest of all configurations.

They are also dirt simple don't be fooled, oil filters and spark plugs are all you'll ever do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Any bike I get on gets like 90% uglier straight away, so there's that. Seems like at least the bike's ugly could be hidden with bags and maybe a new headlight.

Watched a couple videos and it seems like it'd be big enough, especially if the controls adjust like they say they do. I'll see if I can check one out.

Why are p twins lame?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A bunch of really boring engineering reasons but basically there is no compelling 'real' reason to build one (multis have superior power and smoothness, v-twins have a nicer character and tend to rev better, singles are simpler and more compact), the only reason anyone ever makes a p-twin is because they want more power/refinement than a single but cbf dealing with the packaging problems and development complexity of a v-twin.

Think of it this way: twin cylinder sportbikes are a thing and have been a thing for a very long time. Parallel twins are lighter, smaller and more mass-centralised, yet the v-twin continues to dominate. The only ptwin sportbikes I'm aware of are the laverda (no longer exist due to excess Italianness) and the new Aprilia RS (may never exist due to excess Italianness). They are effectively a compromise engine and are always found in compromise bikes like sport-tourers, learner bikes etc and nobody sane gets excited about them because for one reason or another they always sound like crap and have a really boring character.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not all i2s are the same, a 180 degree i2 is the second worst motor made, a 360 degree is ok, a 270 degree is basically the same as a 90 degree v2 so it's the best motor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not all i2s are the same, a 180 degree i2 is the second worst motor made, a 360 degree is ok, a 270 degree is basically the same as a 90 degree v2 so it's the best motor.

Basically the same like my vfr400 was basically the same as an rc213v.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

So what's the difference between the S, SE, and S Cafe? Is it just paint jobs on the S/SE and the littel fariing on the cafe, or is there something else going on too?

e: Fuuuuuck it looks like a relatively near dealership might do a new last year's model pretty cheap. I'm gonna go down tomorrow and see if they'll let me ride one.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 28, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Not so cool stuff: they are ugly and have a parallel twin, the lamest of all configurations.

Serious question, are all Kawi 650 parallel twins super buzzy? I know my Ninja felt like a paint shaker until I got used to it, but for some reason that’s the only Green PT 650 where I hear people mention the buzz. Wondering if a Vulcan or any other Kawi with the same PT is a smoother ride?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Basically the same like my vfr400 was basically the same as an rc213v.
I mean I'm aware that in engineering terms a 90 degree v2 is different from a 270 i2 (the i2 is better because it's more compact and has fewer parts) but in terms of the riding experience it's pretty similar. Same sound, similar torque, slightly different vibrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not all i2s are the same, a 180 degree i2 is the second worst motor made

No you shut up. The CB350 engine sounds and feels like a sewing machine had a baby with a leaf blower and it's great.

What is the worst motor ever made?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I'll try to have a go on a dr650 but I can't imagine that kind of bike being more comfortable for hours on the highway. The kawasaki... (poo poo I can't remember, similar to that, Versys maybe?) klr650 felt like it was gonna be uncomfortable after an hour or two.

It's natural to think this but the dr650 is the most comfortable and capable highway bike I've ever owned or ridden. It's just so stable and chill and comfortable, while still being a riot everywhere else.

The worst thing about the dr650 is the klr650. Everyone experiences what a shitshow the klr is and thinks that's what all 650 dualsports are.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

The worst thing about the dr650 is the klr650.

This is brilliant and 100% true. I owned a dr650, borrowed a klr650, and literally tried to convince owner it was broken. I was SO SURE it shouldn't feel like that.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Sagebrush posted:

No you shut up. The CB350 engine sounds and feels like a sewing machine had a baby with a leaf blower and it's great.

In regards to what? For unintended reliability problems I'd go for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aprilia_RXV/SXV

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Serious question, are all Kawi 650 parallel twins super buzzy? I know my Ninja felt like a paint shaker until I got used to it, but for some reason that’s the only Green PT 650 where I hear people mention the buzz. Wondering if a Vulcan or any other Kawi with the same PT is a smoother ride?

The Ninja is the buzziest because it's the sportiest. It has the smallest bars and the least emphasis on comfort etc, the engine doesn't change.

I mean I'm aware that in engineering terms a 90 degree v2 is different from a 270 i2 (the i2 is better because it's more compact and has fewer parts) but in terms of the riding experience it's pretty similar. Same sound, similar torque, slightly different vibrations.

What kind of bike has one of these? Does the mt07? Cause that is a cool engine by i2 standards but it's nowhere near a v2.

Sagebrush posted:

Admittedly a 180° 2t i2 like the old rd350 makes one power pulse per revolution and that's pretty cool, feels like an electric motor.

The worst motor ever is hard but if we stick to the last half-century, nominees in no particular order:

Ironhead sportser
Guzzi flying V
That one Ducati motor they thought sticking a car carb on was a good idea
Early Honda v4's with the plastic cam gears
The 90° Virago engine
The vx800/Intruder motor with the idiotic split carbs that never ever work properly

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 28, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

e: Fuuuuuck it looks like a relatively near dealership might do a new last year's model pretty cheap. I'm gonna go down tomorrow and see if they'll let me ride one.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK dealers are hurting, so drive a hard bargain for a good deal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

What are the best motors made?

I want to try one or two of each when I (hopefully) get my full license in a few months.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Steakandchips posted:

I want to try one or two of each when I (hopefully) get my full license in a few months.

say it with me class, v twin and v4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

The best motor ever made is objectively the Honda rc211 v5.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

say it with me class, v twin and v4

this, but specifically the LC8 :D

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

say it with me class, v twin and v4single

Fixed for spelling.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thinks, will try out a V twin and V4 at some point!

Slavvy, just googled that, isn't that V5 just used for one racing motorcycle? Why is that such a nice motor?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

- It's the one and only functional v5 I'm aware of
- It is the last MotoGP engine that was designed to be useable without electronic aids, so it had an actually good character instead of just a shitton of power massaged by a computer
- It sounds loving amazing
- It is probably the all-round greatest engine from the all-round greatest engine manufacturer and exemplifies everything that makes Honda's engines so masterfully perfect

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

It's a tie between big singles like the KLR and flat plane crank i4s.

Exceptions are allowed if either one revs really high.

Slavvy posted:

What kind of bike has one of these? Does the mt07? Cause that is a cool engine by i2 standards but it's nowhere near a v2.
There's a whole buttload of 270 crank i2 engines now. Bunch of Yamahas, Africa twin, most or all of the new Triumph twins.

quote:

Admittedly a 180° 2t i2 like the old rd350 makes one power pulse per revolution and that's pretty cool, feels like an electric motor.
2t 180 i2 is an exception, but all 2ts are an exception.

quote:

The 90° Virago engine
I thought all the Viragoes were 60 degree?

quote:

The vx800/Intruder motor with the idiotic split carbs that never ever work properly
I hate those bikes so much. It's not just the motor, the entire bike is horrible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought all the Viragoes were 60 degree?

There's a couple of different kinds but I'm referring specifically to the 80's big capacity lumps that are always used for cafe racer bullshit. I'll confess I have no idea what the v angle is and just thought it was 90 from memory, but I know for certain that they're pieces of poo poo!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rode 250km to a dealership to look at a vulcan and they don't loving have one there. The guy on the phone yesterday said they did, but he's not in today. Their website still has it listed as in stock, but the guy at the desk just goes "I dunno, I don't do computer stuff". Went and calmed down for 20 minutes and then rode home but I went the long way through the mountains so it wasn't a completely wasted trip.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You got the full "Dealership Experience", congrats! Just lol at "I dunno know I don't do computer stuff" like that isn't an invitation to get punched in the face.

For a business that is defined by selling vehicles, dealerships do everything they can to avoid selling vehicles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I called a dealership once because I wanted to sit on a particular ABS ninja and it went:

:) Yep we got it!
:goleft: The ABS model?
:) I’m looking at it right now!
:goleft: Does the front fender have a black sticker that says ABS on it?
:) Let me go check!
:) Looks like I don’t but come on in we’ll talk about getting one!

Come on man.

Coydog posted:

For a business that is defined by selling vehicles, dealerships do everything they can to avoid selling vehicles.

Right? This isn’t even my stupidest dealer story and I’ve only been into riding a year.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
We have a good dealership kinda near O'Hare. They sell euro stuff mostly Ducatis and Triumphs and those garbage Ausstie bikes that Slavvy loves. Never bothered with service there, but their people have always been friendly and chatty, no pressure just shooting the poo poo, and offering test rides of random bikes for no reason. Every person I've talked to at that shop knows what they're talking about and is just like a normal-rear end rider. The guy from whom I ended up buying my bike, we were talking about Groms and trackdays and all kinds of stuff.

I guess they're well run, and I'm always happy to give them my business when I can. When I end up getting a Hypermotard it will be from them obv.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

You got the full "Dealership Experience", congrats! Just lol at "I dunno know I don't do computer stuff" like that isn't an invitation to get punched in the face.

Not quite, for the full experience he needs to buy a bike there anyway, have bits fall off because it wasn't put together right, then have other bits get broken when they fix it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Until now it never crossed my mind to even think about buying a new vehicle, and I've never given a poo poo about cars beyond being big/safe/reliable enough, so I'd just replace a ten year old car with another 10 year old car every 6 or 7 years. So my dealership experience has been finding a second hand car on the internet, calling to make a time to see it, seeing it, buying it, driving away in it. Sometimes that's been at someone's house, sometimes at a dealership with a manufacturer's logo on it, but pretty much the same.

This whole dumb poo poo is new to me. Last night I called another place to see about a test ride and a trade in of a used bike, expecting it to go as above, and the guy tried, on the phone, to get me to pay a deposit, then got weird when I asked if the bike was ready to go - apparently "the process" takes a few weeks. For a used bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This whole dumb poo poo is new to me. Last night I called another place to see about a test ride and a trade in of a used bike, expecting it to go as above, and the guy tried, on the phone, to get me to pay a deposit, then got weird when I asked if the bike was ready to go - apparently "the process" takes a few weeks. For a used bike.

"The process" is "let him stew for a few days and see if he'll pay more because he can't wait." Or possibly "tell him in a few days that someone else put in a better offer and ask if he wants to beat it."

dealers are scum

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

dealers are scum

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Eh, it probably stopped me from making a bad decision.

School me on the DR650. Given that I'm primarily riding on the highway (and I'm gonna need a bike that does that no matter what), why do I want this this thing that looks like everyone's mate's uncle's old trailbike?

E: No sarcasm here, but everything I see about the bike is "here are the mods I did and now it's a... <adventure bike / trail bike / city commuter >" so I'm clearly missing something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 30, 2020