Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

What’s a good shooty army BESIDES Tau at the moment? Feels like admech might be up there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ffoecaf posted:

I think that the Thin Their Ranks strat just revealed how blast weapons will work too. Max hits if the unit is as equal or greater than max shots

That's pretty elegant if it's the case. Might lead to some weird edge cases, but eh, fire your big guns first

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ffoecaf posted:

I think that the Thin Their Ranks strat just revealed how blast weapons will work too. Max hits if the unit is as equal or greater than max shots

It also revealed that Helverins are going to own even more. Specifying units of 6 or more instead of a unit keyword (INFANTRY etc) is going to have people thinking twice before dropping max-sized Gravis units which is a nice design decision.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Gameko posted:

What’s a good shooty army BESIDES Tau at the moment? Feels like admech might be up there...

Ad Mech is a great option that also has some solid melee options if you wanted to mix things up a little.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

raverrn posted:

Auto-hits on your Warden on his last damage profile or against Flyers is going to be a huge boon.

Yeah, but that means I have to get a Warden. I just hope that the strats for the Gallant and Crusader are as good, since those are the ones I already have.

Gameko posted:

AdMech is decent, and may be getting better in a week or so once we can actually read all of Engine War.

Imperial Guard is the classic gunline army aside from Tau. Massed tanks and artillery screened by waves of cheap infantry still works.

Marines, particularly if you choose the right Chapter, can be one of the best shooty armies in the game if you build it that way. Of course Marines can also be one of the best hybrid and melee armies if you build them that way too. That's the thing about Marines, they have so many unit choices, strats, and variations by Chapter that you can make Marines be good at anything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/28/skulls-for-the-skull-throne-4/
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/skulls/

Skull for the skull throne! Steam is having a Warhammer sale so this is your chance to put all that Quarantine free time into use beyond clearing your backlog. Not to mention a bunch of extra stuff to a lot of the games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ffoecaf posted:

I dont think that's accurate because the idea is you can carry PA forward to 9th edition and they said this was "Designed with 9th edition in mind".

Why make a strategem for something that's going to be a core game mechanic?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

In anticipation of 9th ed giving us close combat marines and devastators, ive been going through the first Badab War book again for inspiration. I forgot how good that book was. I wish Black Library would give it a Horus Heresy treatment, but that probably won't happen. Hopefully one of these days I can get the second book without having to sell a kidney.

In any case, im very excited for the new shield marines and I think im going to do a test model for a Fire Angel.
The FW Badab War books were so loving good. I'm so glad I got the boxed set before it went out of print. I would read the heck out of a full BL treatment of them. I would also love to own a Mantis Warriors or Executioners army one day and play in a Badab campaign/narrative event, but that's pretty far down my project pipeline.

Stuff like this is partly why I dislike primaris marines. There are so many cool historical campaigns that won't be possible if they phase out the regular guys.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

The FW Badab War books were so loving good. I'm so glad I got the boxed set before it went out of print. I would read the heck out of a full BL treatment of them. I would also love to own a Mantis Warriors or Executioners army one day and play in a Badab campaign/narrative event, but that's pretty far down my project pipeline.

Stuff like this is partly why I dislike primaris marines. There are so many cool historical campaigns that won't be possible if they phase out the regular guys.

They could always just write more campaigns like the badab ones. Primaris don't inherently invalidate that type of book.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think that's accurate because the idea is you can carry PA forward to 9th edition and they said this was "Designed with 9th edition in mind".

My guess is that the auto cannons aren't blast weapons in 9th.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

They could always just write more campaigns like the badab ones. Primaris don't inherently invalidate that type of book.
But I want Badab, not something "like Badab".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Well you can play your book that was released in the past with the models that were available for its release (which, shockingly, are still available and show no signs of going anywhere).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Well you can play your book that was released in the past with the models that were available for its release (which, shockingly, are still available and show no signs of going anywhere).
Can you be less condescending about this? You know what I mean.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Fwiw I'm not convinced the phase-out is happening. I don't think we ever get new small Marines again, but as long as the kits remain profitable they probably aren't going anywhere.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Don't tall to Booley he's like the kid that plays the I'm not touching you game.

I get what you mean, Badab was non-primaris marine based an you want that now primaris ina can Badab an anyone who thinks the small marine line isn't on the block eventually "because its available now" is just intentionally obtuse.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

You should go check out Death of a Rubricist, he's been converting up Primaris models for Nova Terra Interregnum and Badab War campaigns.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Im all for fluff but the badab war books have a whole page dedicated to doing alt history versions of it, who cares if you bring primaris to a badab war campaign its about having fun not fake space history re-enactments.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wrong height for marines in 901.M41
:goonsay:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

Its not condescending. There is nothing preventing you from taking an old campaign book and using it as inspiration to recreate the scenarios using the current ruleset.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I dont get what you want then? If you just want to use the old books, use the old books. You said you didn't even want something like it, i.e. not a remake of it so what do you want? Just use the marines you have.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont get what you want then? If you just want to use the old books, use the old books. You said you didn't even want something like it, i.e. not a remake of it so what do you want? Just use the marines you have.
All I was saying was that I don't see GW putting out new books for historical campaigns in the future because the primaris line won't be involved in any way. If (big IF) they phase out regular marines that's a certainty.

Safety Factor posted:

There are so many cool historical campaigns that won't be possible if they phase out the regular guys.

Y'all can relax a bit, it was just idle musing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I don't think they're going to just drop all the small marines one day, but I do think they'll slowly be relegated to Legends over the next few editions.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JackMann posted:

I don't think they're going to just drop all the small marines one day, but I do think they'll slowly be relegated to Legends over the next few editions.

I for one look forward to all the de-primaris'd conversions in the future for retrohammer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

People will feel really smug when tacticals are retired in like 30 years and tell everyone they told us so.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Primaris chat?

PRIMARIS PICTURE

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Just lol if you haven't started calling primaris models "regular space marines models" and the others "old space marine models"

The future is now and cant fit in rhinos, boomers.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hihohe posted:

Just lol if you haven't started calling primaris models "regular space marines models" and the others "old space marine models"

The future is now and cant fit in rhinos, boomers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wait... was it rhinos that primaris couldnt technically embark into?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, that and Land Raiders as well.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's for an autocannon which I doubt will be a blast weapon, and to make it work with 8th they couldn't have a strategem that just says 'turn this into a blast weapon'.

Corrode posted:

Fwiw I'm not convinced the phase-out is happening. I don't think we ever get new small Marines again, but as long as the kits remain profitable they probably aren't going anywhere.

I feel like old marines will stick around until they stop selling or the molds break.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I actually like the tactical marine kit way more than the intercessor kit, from a modelling perspective. I'm not sure exactly why, it's just more fun for me personally to build a small marine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, it sounds like there's an autohit mechanic coming

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The intercessor kit isn't all that great from a modelling standpoint with how weirdly the models have been cut. It does make for rather limited poses, even if a lot of the arm options are neat.
Hopefully they'll fix that in a future version of it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Strelok604 posted:

Maulerfiend numero deux, so that at least one of them actually makes it to combat

Looking good mate, those look like you had fun putting them together. If you wanted to make them more shiny - and it’s a stylistic choice that’s totally up to you - the yellow paint you’ve used for the trim is the perfect undercoat to apply a layer of Auric Armour Gold with a Seraphim Sepia shade. Add some silver edge highlighting and the result is quite a vibrant gold that really shines in the sunlight.

It’s what I used for my Necrons and I’m trying to find a decent picture so you can see what it looks like. If you have a model you don’t mind experimenting with give it a try, I think you might like the result.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

People will feel really smug when tacticals are retired in like 30 years and tell everyone they told us so.

Yeah, GW is just gonna stop releasing new smolmarines outside of one-offs or the occasional kit refresh while Primaris will get all the new toys and lore and basically every important new space marine thing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
luckily my spiky marines are safe

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Then in 2030 Forgeworld will start doing new Mark VII marines in resin to cash in on the nostalgia of 'old marines', again

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

The intercessor kit isn't all that great from a modelling standpoint with how weirdly the models have been cut. It does make for rather limited poses, even if a lot of the arm options are neat.
Hopefully they'll fix that in a future version of it.

Exactly, thank you! The poses are admittedly a bit more dynamic, but I feel like I have less overall control of what it ends up looking like.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
protip: assemble your primaris marine first, then use a hobby knife or saw to repose or replace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
gw's line of hosed up tiny space marines with their amazing poseable... waist joint connected to various forms of powersquat and maybe a set of kneeling legs if you're lucky.