Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

I don't typically bring rain pants but now that I live in the northwest, I'll cancel a trip if it's supposed to dump the whole time and just reschedule.

If you're gonna live here you gotta increase your power levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Pnw has had incredible summers all five years I've lived here with barely any rain between June and October. I've barely encountered wet weather here while hiking or camping. I've had my occasional sufferfests and wet slogs and it's just not enjoyable when it's wet from the moment you leave your car until you return. If it's only going to rain periodically, no problem but if it's looking like a big system is going to come in and linger, no way.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I go to "rain hike" trails when it's going to be dumping. Not many people around carrying boombox Bluetooth speakers, no loud children, no road/highway noise. Hiking in the fuzzy trees when it's pouring down rain is very peaceful. :3: Everything feels "close". Very Zen, you can focus on the moment.

But then again I like the rain. It's not great for class 3 scrambles or avalanche chutes, but there's plenty of other opportunities to see those. During stay-at-home, I went walking around with a pack when it rained; hid from the sun otherwise.

(I only recall a single year in the last decade when I was sick of it, because it started raining in September and didn't stop until June. In other words, if you're in the PNW and not doing a rain dance, leave my city. ;)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind being out in the rain, you get to see poo poo in ways a lot of people don't. I just wish there was a way to wear a raincoat and not instantly explode into sweat to the point I'm just as wet as if I hadn't worn a jacket.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xzzy posted:

I don't mind being out in the rain, you get to see poo poo in ways a lot of people don't. I just wish there was a way to wear a raincoat and not instantly explode into sweat to the point I'm just as wet as if I hadn't worn a jacket.

:same:

Even just adding the rain layer makes me get overheated so much faster on inclines too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Have you tried a poncho? I own one but have not yet used it, and here in NM the rain tends more toward a 30 minute downpour rather than say a PNW all-day drizzle, but I'm hoping it'll have a little better ventilation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've considered it but a lot of people seem to hate them too so I've never pulled the plug. I might someday, maybe after my current raincoat wears out. :v:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Ponchos tend to have wet drip points right on the legs. Also, they are sail like in high winds. That said, I know folks who like ponchos with gaters for breathability.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Verman posted:

Pnw has had incredible summers all five years I've lived here with barely any rain between June and October. I've barely encountered wet weather here while hiking or camping. I've had my occasional sufferfests and wet slogs and it's just not enjoyable when it's wet from the moment you leave your car until you return. If it's only going to rain periodically, no problem but if it's looking like a big system is going to come in and linger, no way.

The first time I visited Seattle, I rode my motorcycle up from Austin in July and sat on a rail overlooking puget sound for the better part of an hour in the bright sunshine. Then I walked over to a coffee shop and told people that i was amazed how beautiful it was and that I was expecting rain and clouds. Every single one of them laughed and said, “that’s what everybody who comes here during the best two weeks of summer says, then they move here and realize their mistake.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That reminds me of when I took a friend out hiking in Arizona and it was overcast.

I was talking up the clear skies and beautiful sunsets for weeks.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I’ve backpacked in the gorge during the rainy season a few times and it can be very peaceful. I did however exit my tent one morning to find some of my gear floating away because I stupidly setup camp in a depression. My wife also goes hypothermic at the drop of a hat so we usually avoid winter camping here in the PNW.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yesterday was a good example. Rain models consistently showed the front arriving after noon, starting with drizzle and becoming light rain around 2pm. No rain on the high resolution model until at least 11am.

It was dripping heavily on the drive but stopped just at the trailhead. During the next several hours it was cloudy, sneezed a few times (:yaycloud:s with a virus?), and was light raining by 1045. Hiking buddy and I most have made at least a dozen sardonic jokes each to the tune of "it's supposed to start raining around two!"

Breathable rain coats are still the best. If it's above 45F and only drizzle, I don't bother. I'll put it on if it's going to soak me in only a few minutes, if it's cold, or enough that I don't want it in my eyes.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Thought I'd share some intel on the John Muir Wilderness permit system during COVID-19:

1. Non-reserved permits (first come first served walk-ins) are not likely to be available this summer.
2. Reserved permits are invalid up to June 30th, but this is subject to change - date may be moved back or forward.
3. The "bear chat", normally in person, will be by phone.
4. Permits will be provided online, rather than you needing to grab them at the permit office.

I would still verify this stuff though... it sounds a bit disorganized right now. :(

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My wife and I have been getting more into hiking/backpacking. My family lives in Maine and for the past few years when we visit we've been taking two- or three-day trips to Acadia. We live in NJ and have done some long day hikes in the state and gone on a couple overnights in the Catskills. For some of the big items like the tent and sleeping bags we've been using my dad's old gear. He used to be pretty big into this stuff and has always been the type to spend more on good gear. I use his old Marmot mummy bag that is probably rated 0. (I honestly couldn't say for sure and I doubt my dad remembers, but it's a beefy bag and I can't even imagine being cold in it.) We also have a Sierra Designs synthetic rectangle bag that my mom used. The tent is an old Sierra Designs 2-person that holds up but has lost pretty much any waterproofing it had.

This stuff has more or less done what we need. We actually survived a night that dipped down into the high teens without too much trouble. The tent held up to the winds and we had a decent number of layers with some hand warmers stuffed down into the bags. We used inflatable pads on top of some cheapo pads for an extra layer. I was worried going into it, but it turned out surprisingly fine outside of taking a while for my feet to warm up. For anyone in the area, Echo Lake has some great camping sites. We were immediately next to a really nice creek that fed into the lake. Too bad I stupidly left the filter hanging after filling it in the morning and it almost immediately froze.

That all said, the stuff is old and big. The tents poles are probably like 14 inches (Edit: I actually went and measured and they're like 21 inches) and take up a massive amount of room. The sleeping bags barely fit in the compartments of our packs. I can get mine into a 15L stuff sack with a bit of room to spare, but it still weighs over 3lbs. So we're looking to upgrade some things. Right now I'm researching sleeping bags. For my wife, I was thinking the Nemo Disco 15. She doesn't like how mummy bags feel, especially around her feet, so I was thinking that the extra room would be worth the added weight. For me, I was looking at the REI Igneo 17 since it's on sale for $150 right now, which seems like a really good deal. I figure even if it's not actually good to that temperature, I'd take the heavier bag for colder trips anyway.

That brings me to a dumb question: when looking at bags, it gives the stuff size and compression volume. The compression volume is generally a lot smaller than I would expect from the stuff size. Is it basically, stuff size is the dimensions of the stuff sack it comes with, but if you have a compression bag, it is physically possible to get it down to that volume? Given how giant the bags we have are, being able to get it down into an 8L bag or something sounds like a dream.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen LL Bean mentioned in this thread, which makes sense because technical backpackers are not really their target market. But, they have some surprisingly decent stuff that's reasonably inexpensive. Or, at least it's worked out OK for us. We get a lot there since we're in Freeport kind of often. We're thinking of getting their Microlight UL tent since it actually seems really light.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2020

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Thought I'd share some intel on the John Muir Wilderness permit system during COVID-19:

1. Non-reserved permits (first come first served walk-ins) are not likely to be available this summer.
2. Reserved permits are invalid up to June 30th, but this is subject to change - date may be moved back or forward.
4. Permits will be provided online, rather than you needing to grab them at the permit office.

I would still verify this stuff though... it sounds a bit disorganized right now. :(

I think that everywhere is going to be pretty disorganized feeling, just because even recreation managers don't really know what to do, this is literally unprecedented. A lot of decisions are made, rolled out, rehashed 12 hours later, altered and re-rolled out. And the changes are to a way of doing business that is not normal, so there is some trial and error about if it will work. It feels chaotic on the inside too. I would say most places are likely to be reservation only (and may not accept any new reservations), all forward facing things will likely not happen (no interpretive programming, limited or no visitor centers, registration booths, etc), and facilities may be limited or close with no notice.

As a person who works for one of these agencies, please dear god, call your destination before you just head out! Or check the websites, do not assume anything this summer regarding hiking/backpacking/camping etc.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Does anyone have any experience with 3rd gen Nissan Pathfinders as general adventure/back country driving/car-camping/travel vehicles? My golf wagon can't handle what Colorado throws at it once you get into the dispersed camping areas and such.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’ll never buy another Nissan after they failed to warranty the motor mounts and some (very expensive) internal belt on my X-Terra, but otherwise a Pathfinder is a pretty known quantity. High clearance, 4WD, plenty of space. You’ll be fine. If you’re going anywhere crazy, put skids and good shoes on it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Does anyone have any experience with 3rd gen Nissan Pathfinders as general adventure/back country driving/car-camping/travel vehicles? My golf wagon can't handle what Colorado throws at it once you get into the dispersed camping areas and such.

If you are in Colorado it is very important that you buy a Subaru..

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I wonder how this will pan out with other wilderness areas around there...

I'm hoping to do some trips in like Emmigrant and stuff like that, probably just aim to go during the week rather than weekend to avoid people etc

I feel like the Sierras and places like that are going to be slammed this summer, more than usual but I guess we'll see. Just thinking of how to get into some slightly out of the way places

e: though it seems like my Tuolumne Meadows reservations in July will still be usable

e2: sounds like California forests etc are basically saying they won't issue backcountry permits until the SIP is lifted

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 26, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ropes4u posted:

If you are in Colorado it is very important that you buy a Subaru..

That's the joke, but the state car here is actually a 4 Runner.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

I wonder how this will pan out with other wilderness areas around there...

I'm hoping to do some trips in like Emmigrant and stuff like that, probably just aim to go during the week rather than weekend to avoid people etc

I feel like the Sierras and places like that are going to be slammed this summer, more than usual but I guess we'll see. Just thinking of how to get into some slightly out of the way places

e: though it seems like my Tuolumne Meadows reservations in July will still be usable

e2: sounds like California forests etc are basically saying they won't issue backcountry permits until the SIP is lifted

This is a promising sign from Inyo at least, effective Jun 1st..
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD743722

Just anecdotal info here, but I did a high sierra pass trail over Memorial Day weekend with the assumption not many would bother, but there were still several parties of backpackers out there. I'm not one to pry into people's business but I wonder if they really went in without an overnight permit (it was only a day thing for me).

No doubt that JMW is going to be absurd this summer so you make a good point to do Emmigrant and other lesser known areas. There are so many obscure wilderness areas, like Carson-Iceberg.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This is a promising sign from Inyo at least, effective Jun 1st..
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD743722

Just anecdotal info here, but I did a high sierra pass trail over Memorial Day weekend with the assumption not many would bother, but there were still several parties of backpackers out there. I'm not one to pry into people's business but I wonder if they really went in without an overnight permit (it was only a day thing for me).

No doubt that JMW is going to be absurd this summer so you make a good point to do Emmigrant and other lesser known areas. There are so many obscure wilderness areas, like Carson-Iceberg.

Yup Emmigrant and Carson-Iceberg are definitely ones I'm looking at. Did a 7 day trip in Emmigrant in 2015 that was pretty interesting though it was so drat dry that year

Doing some of the stuff from Inyo into Kings Canyon is real cool but tough drive for me

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We're starting some loose planning for a Glacier National Park trip later this year. Goal is to avoid crowds as much as possible, but also try to sneak in before too much snow. Ideally we'd do long day hikes, seeing the sites while getting away from the parking lots and viewing platforms. Some short backpacking is possible, as is snowshoeing.

Based on my initial research, late September to mid October looks like the best bet. Fewer people but (hopefully) not much snow yet.

Does anyone have any experience on the different seasons and crowds? Even just general tips on what to definitely do or not do is appreciated. We'll be camping most or all nights, although depending on temperatures may ditch the tent to sleep in the back of our car.

Obviously all this is a bit tenuous given the current situation. Maybe the trip won't happen, but might as well do some initial research while we watch how the reopening unfolds.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Hi thread! I'm looking to graduate from Chacos and buy my Very First Pair of hiking boots.

Right now I'm looking at Danner Mountain 600s and the Vivobarefoot Tracker FG. The barefoot thing is SUPER appealing to me, but I'm just a little nervous about pulling the trigger on $250 boots. Right now I'm doing mostly easy-to-moderate day hikes, but I realize I need boots to up my game and/or backpack. Will Vivobarefoot boots be able to take me there?? Do y'all have any experience with them?

Thanks!!!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Hi thread! I'm looking to graduate from Chacos and buy my Very First Pair of hiking boots.

I hate to poo-poo your concept immediately, but just get some trail runners. The continued existence of hiking boots blows my mind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whatever you get, make sure it has a Vibram sole. That poo poo is magic.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

incogneato posted:

We're starting some loose planning for a Glacier National Park trip later this year. Goal is to avoid crowds as much as possible, but also try to sneak in before too much snow. Ideally we'd do long day hikes, seeing the sites while getting away from the parking lots and viewing platforms. Some short backpacking is possible, as is snowshoeing.

Based on my initial research, late September to mid October looks like the best bet. Fewer people but (hopefully) not much snow yet.

Does anyone have any experience on the different seasons and crowds? Even just general tips on what to definitely do or not do is appreciated. We'll be camping most or all nights, although depending on temperatures may ditch the tent to sleep in the back of our car.

Obviously all this is a bit tenuous given the current situation. Maybe the trip won't happen, but might as well do some initial research while we watch how the reopening unfolds.

I've only ever gone to Glacier early season (memorial day / first week of June) and only ever day hiked. That said, my highlight hike is Avalanche lake / creek. If you're into biking then riding going to the sun road is great, although it might be too late in the season or too uncomfortable dealing with cars when you're there. I rode it last year right before they opened the road to cars and had a wonderful time.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

incogneato posted:

We did Glacier a few years ago in late August, during the fires. Several parts of the park, including a section of going to the sun, was shut down, and crowds were pretty low. I would say the highlight was definitely the skyline trail. Depending on the amount of time you're going to spend, I'd recommend setting up a camp on either the eastern or western side of the park and then possibly shifting camp to the other side. Travel time from one side of the park to the other can be surprisingly long, especially if going to the sun is partially closed. We stayed largely on the eastern side, and of that side the many glacier hotel area was definitely the busiest. Not so busy that you couldn't use the trailhead, but I wouldn't camp there if I were trying to avoid crowds.

I would say the best day hike was definitely the highline trail and then back down to many glacier, but it's a huge park and chock full of good stuff.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ShaneB posted:

I hate to poo-poo your concept immediately, but just get some trail runners. The continued existence of hiking boots blows my mind.

Boots often make sense for snow but for trail, yeah just get some shoes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grinnell Glacier is an excellent day hike. I've heard the hike to the other side of the ridge to the Grinnell Overlook is pretty rad too.

These days the most important thing to schedule around for Glacier is fire season.. making early season a safe bet. August into September has a lot of risk of getting smoked out. First two weeks of October will be great because of the larches going gold and hopefully the fires are gone.

I've only been there in June/July. Crowds are there but they can be escaped if you avoid trails attached to the main road. Using Many Glacier as a base will have fewer people, but still no solitude until you get past the Ptarmagin wall. Never done the Two Medicine area so don't know what the crowds are like.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

ShaneB posted:

B-b-but my aesthetic!!! I'll consider it. Thank you!

xzzy posted:

Whatever you get, make sure it has a Vibram sole. That poo poo is magic.

Heard!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ShaneB posted:

How is it mind blowing that some people use boots outdoors?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Right now I'm looking at Danner Mountain 600s and the Vivobarefoot Tracker FG. The barefoot thing is SUPER appealing to me, but I'm just a little nervous about pulling the trigger on $250 boots. Right now I'm doing mostly easy-to-moderate day hikes, but I realize I need boots to up my game and/or backpack. Will Vivobarefoot boots be able to take me there?? Do y'all have any experience with them?

Thanks!!!

I've never tried the Vivobarefoot shoes, but I think they seem a lot more expensive than I'd want to pay. Shoe needs depend a lot on the conditions that you're typically hiking in. Trail runners can be quite sufficient for summery trail hikes. Boots are more useful for off-trail adventures and colder weather. The best thing you can do is go try on boots in a store, and since that is hard to do right now I'd suggest starting with a pair of trail runners. That being said, Danner makes good boots and I'm sure those Mountain 600s would be excellent for you.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-boots.html

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/trail-running-shoes.html

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rolo posted:

How is it mind blowing that some people use boots outdoors?

Because hiking boots are, IMO, entirely unnecessary and relics of the past for most everyone's regular hiking/backpacking use. They are bulky and heavy and don't really do anything beneficial for the three-season user. Trail runners are lightweight, dry extremely quickly, and are much less prone to causing foot issues or blisters. I switched to Gore-Tex trail runners years ago and use them full time for all my backpacking and hiking, and even as winter boots most of the time. My feet don't run particularly sweaty so I can deal with Gore-Tex even in the summer months here in Colorado.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Because hiking boots are, IMO, entirely unnecessary and relics of the past for most everyone's regular hiking/backpacking use. They are bulky and heavy and don't really do anything beneficial for the three-season user. Trail runners are lightweight, dry extremely quickly, and are much less prone to causing foot issues or blisters. I switched to Gore-Tex trail runners years ago and use them full time for all my backpacking and hiking, and even as winter boots most of the time. My feet don't run particularly sweaty so I can deal with Gore-Tex even in the summer months here in Colorado.

Horses for courses. I like the ankle support and protection that hiking boots provide when going from trail, to talus, to scree.

I’m sure that trail runners are better in the majority of use cases these days — lord knows I prefer shoes when hiking with my kids — but it’s a bit dismissive to call hiking boots “relics of the past.”

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Dangerllama posted:

Horses for courses. I like the ankle support and protection that hiking boots provide when going from trail, to talus, to scree.

I’m sure that trail runners are better in the majority of use cases these days — lord knows I prefer shoes when hiking with my kids — but it’s a bit dismissive to call hiking boots “relics of the past.”

Same. I hike in very rough terrain and prefer ankle support, it's not uncommon for me to roll my feet a few times towards the end of a long and/or demanding hike. People who love trail runners REALLY love them but have tried them out and they're not for me.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Boots often have kind of a high heel/thick sole that in my experience can make you more prone to rolling an ankle. You get more ankle support but also are more likely to need it, so...whether it's worth it or not is a question in my mind.

Beyond that, carrying heavier loads isn't ideal in a trail runner I think, at least with a lightweight one. Boots do give your feet more protection in that case so if you're not at least trying to get your load down to moderately light then trail runners may not work for you.

As for off trail/cross country, I've done a bunch of miles in the Sierras off trail with no problems in trail runners. Other locations might favor boots though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

All I'm saying is consider them. Most people just seem to believe any walking off a sidewalk to require some kind of large, expensive, traditional, heavy boot. I think for the vast majority of these people a sturdy trail shoe is better for the job, and super useful for being your general outdoor footwear. Working in a garden, mowing the lawn, walking around in some light snow (if you get a waterproof shoe), stuff like that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My thing with boots, most of them don't actually provide substantial ankle support unless they go all the way over your ankle. Mid height boots like moabs will still roll an ankle. Also, they do a good job of staying dry for a while, but once they get wet or your liner develops a leak, they turn into heavy bathtubs on your feet.

Boots are fine, they're just more than most people need for day hikes and traveled trails. Certain conditions will beg for boots like cold weather, rocky scree, snow, mountaineering etc.

That said, I still own boots even though I hike and backpack mostly in trail runners. I prefer the lightweight feel of runners, the quick drying ability and the breathability. My legs are noticeably less sore and tired in trail runners vs boots due to hiking tens of thousands of steps in shoes that weigh half to a third the weight of normal boots. You will likely burn through them quicker than a pair of boots but they're usually cheaper. The thing with trail runners for me is they can't be waterproof (goretex etc) because in my experience that prevents drying when they get wet. If your feet get wet in runners, suck it up and just change your socks when you get to camp. I also like a good toe cap because I tend to scramble often. I prefer a vibram sole but that's getting harder to find. A rock plate is mandatory to prevent your shoes from feeling like flimsy foam running shoes when you step on rocks.

If you're just getting into backpacking, boots are a good option until your ankles get stronger. Keep in mind where you tend to hike the most. If you're in Arizona or somewhere dry 99% of the time, go for something more breathable than waterproof. Hiking with wool socks is also a big difference. I prefer darn tough because they're comfy and breathe really well.

There's a trend in boots that they're getting more and more comfortable, fits like a sneaker etc. They're getting lighter as well which is good. If your getting a first boot, just try as much on as possible. Make sure your toes don't touch the end when you gently kick something solid.

Personally, moabs are hard to beat for the price and comfort, same goes for the Salomons. For a more traditional boot I really like asolo fugitives or salewa mountain trainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I went to lighter and lighter boots progressively, which all came to an abrupt halt when my feet "exploded" during day 4 on the PCT due to lack of support in the boot. Historically I also needed lots of ankle support, so boots were always very helpful (not because the necessarily prevent rolling but because they limit the range when you do roll). Now, I wear my old boots going to work and anything over 5--10lb requires my real hiking boots.

These notions of well designed goretex boots turning into leaky submarines is not a situation I've ever encountered. I'll not the only PNW hiker in the thread, but it's mind blowing to me that anyone here would consider trail runners and call themselves a hiker, let alone a backpacker. City trails, sure. Anything in the mountains, crazy. (But hey check the dating apps and everyone is a "hiker")

I encountered snow both of my last two hikes (last 3wk). Last weekend also enjoyed 6--9" of mud, rocky terrain, steep grassy/rocky/wet terrain, creek crossings, a class 3 climb, using the side of my foot for support, and many other fun things beyond "walking on a flat level garden path". And that was just in the parking lot :p kidding My feet were comfortable, dry, the right temperature, and felt great.

Trail runners are "the current fad". We'll see how long that lasts. Besides, if you're not a trail runner maybe compare to light hikers when you're trying for fit and comfort.