Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i wish there were a few more bits of tribal tech so you could play tribals long term. the lack of food preservation is the big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm deep into triple digits played and I've never had a vanometric cell show up.

I just want to give my tribe a megascreen :(

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish there were a few more bits of tribal tech so you could play tribals long term. the lack of food preservation is the big problem.

Get Rimworld of Magic, there's a freezer spell! Also then your cultivators and wizards can fight alongside each other!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I just slow hunt animals until I stock up enough veg. Then it's pemmican all the way. I change my simple meals to be meat only, 2 meals per person.. and pemmican I do forever.

What kills my last tribal is I stupidly accepted a royal title to get higher psycaster stuff, and I had to build all kinds of stuff I had no tech for

But starting near a couple non tribal friendly places I trade into bigger weapons almost right away. But electricity takes soooo long to research. You can also take over an existing base (pirate) with solar panels, etc and use them, just not make more or repair them.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

The quests are throwing uranium at me at ridiculous rates. I've already replaced all walls with uranium, and I'm using it for spike traps and whatnot.

Getting a bunch of plasteel is nice, since I'm going through that at a big rate, but I have no idea what to do with all this uranium.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimatomics and shove it all into a reactor to make nukes.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Also, like a third of my colonists are missing a kidney. Is there some weird mechanic that calculates kidney failure, or just a bunch of lucky kidney shots?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You may be experiencing the same thing that was noted in the second world war, whereby engineers tasked with repairing aircraft noted a peculiar pattern in regards to where the bulletholes were located on returning aircraft. They were almost never located near the engines, cockpit, or tailplane.

The reason, of course, was that aircraft which were shot in the engine, cockpit, or tailplane, did not make it back to base for repairs. Similarly the kidney is a small organ located in the torso and you only need one of them to live, thus, surviving colonists will display a disproportionate number of lost kidneys, as ones that take a hit to the heart, liver, or stomach, are more likely to become dead colonists.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tribal starts are my favorite and I always just make sure to plant berries and have someone whose full-time job is making pemmican. I also keep herds so I have a living meat store that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I am super stoked about the ranching change.

For refrigeration, the super long shelf life of corn and rice generally gets me through most winters when I can get at least one full corn harvest done (i.e. not working on really cold maps). Planting a giant field of corn means there's huge inventory space needs which is a definite downside, though if you want to be micro-y you could try leaving it on the plant as long as possible until temperatures start reaching the killing plants level.

Oh, just had an idea, you make a gigantic warehouse where your huge corn crops are. During grow time, you take down the roofs and get planting. When harvest is done, you replace the roofs.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

I am super stoked about the ranching change.

For refrigeration, the super long shelf life of corn and rice generally gets me through most winters when I can get at least one full corn harvest done (i.e. not working on really cold maps). Planting a giant field of corn means there's huge inventory space needs which is a definite downside, though if you want to be micro-y you could try leaving it on the plant as long as possible until temperatures start reaching the killing plants level.

Oh, just had an idea, you make a gigantic warehouse where your huge corn crops are. During grow time, you take down the roofs and get planting. When harvest is done, you replace the roofs.

I have done the warehouse field thing a few times. It works well. I would just disable corn on the main freezer stockpile to keep pawns from running the crops in to the freezer, then delete the growing zone and replace it with a corn only stockpile.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You may be experiencing the same thing that was noted in the second world war, whereby engineers tasked with repairing aircraft noted a peculiar pattern in regards to where the bulletholes were located on returning aircraft. They were almost never located near the engines, cockpit, or tailplane.

The reason, of course, was that aircraft which were shot in the engine, cockpit, or tailplane, did not make it back to base for repairs. Similarly the kidney is a small organ located in the torso and you only need one of them to live, thus, surviving colonists will display a disproportionate number of lost kidneys, as ones that take a hit to the heart, liver, or stomach, are more likely to become dead colonists.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I've been replacing lost limbs with bionics over time, so most of the colonists are robocops by now.

Still, nobody is missing any lungs yet. Just a big backlog of kidneys that needs replacing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

fyi i put about 30 hours ito Space Haven this past holiday weekend to compare it to RW and it holds up okay but only until you figure out how to survive the start, then the current gameplayloop is pretty boring. there's a distinct disconnect from your pawns, also, but i'm still not mad i checked it out. it'll get there but you can probably hold of on buying it for now

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, in the summertime you should be farming constantly, preferably rice so that you have quick harvest cycles so food should be a constant thing coming in. During the winter, if it's too cold to farm you can just put all your food outside under a roof or in a room with a vent. Meals don't keep as long as raw vegetation, so just build up a store of rice/corn. As far as keeping poo poo fresh during the summertime, your options are limited but RimWorld of Magic is fine, or I think medieval times allows for a labor-intensive way to make ice/iceboxes, so you stuff your larder deep inside a cave system with some iceboxes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Just, do what people used to do, really. Have your long term store of corn/rice, when meat comes in cook some of it into fine meals and eat it, what you can't eat before it would spoil make into pemmican.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's mods you can use too which add more options. I quite like Rimcuisine for its meat drying and pickling mechanics, but it was unfortunately a major cause of chug in my game so I had to drop it. Something about the system it uses for its fermentation mechanism.

But yeah you can totally get by with a seasonal food supply using dry grains and stuff, but you will be susceptible to seasonal famine if your crops fail, just like real life.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Why can't you just pickle the vegs and salt the meat, or something. It's not like people starved to death every winter before electricity.

e: in vanilla, i mean

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

boar guy posted:

fyi i put about 30 hours ito Space Haven this past holiday weekend to compare it to RW and it holds up okay but only until you figure out how to survive the start, then the current gameplayloop is pretty boring. there's a distinct disconnect from your pawns, also, but i'm still not mad i checked it out. it'll get there but you can probably hold of on buying it for now

Yeah it's definitely come a long way, but it's a little content sparse right now. I'm eager to see what it'll be like later in the year though

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Setting up a warehouse with shelves that lets in cold air during winter makes corn deteriorate super slow, I threw one up with a dumb giant corn field when I had 1-2 years of loving up my good growing rhythm relative to adding lots of new colonists and animals. Not too labor intensive to have one massive harvest a year as the emergency food, no electricity committed.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2020

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Is there a way to build a base at the start of a game using Dev mode, populate it with some NPCs, set them to hostile, then give that base and those assets to the NPCs and refog everything? I want my start on this new game I'm playing to be basically taking over an enemy base from scratch.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

There's mods you can use too which add more options. I quite like Rimcuisine for its meat drying and pickling mechanics, but it was unfortunately a major cause of chug in my game so I had to drop it. Something about the system it uses for its fermentation mechanism.

Oh poo poo, really? I love Rimcuisine, but that'd suck if it was one of the things keeping me from my giant colony goals.

Harvey Baldman posted:

Is there a way to build a base at the start of a game using Dev mode, populate it with some NPCs, set them to hostile, then give that base and those assets to the NPCs and refog everything? I want my start on this new game I'm playing to be basically taking over an enemy base from scratch.

I know you can add hostile NPCs, but because it'd be tagged as "your" world map tile, I don't know if that'd function as you'd like it. Instead, what about making your landing site as close to a pirate base as possible and caravanning over to it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Time to escape to the ONE PLACE NOT CORRUPTED BY CAPITALISM

god this stuff needs so much plasteel

I'm sure having no weapons on this thing will be fine

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As far as I know, space battles are gated behind a pretty generous wealth factor, so you'll be fine for quite some time :v:

What are those things surrounding the bed?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I know you can add hostile NPCs, but because it'd be tagged as "your" world map tile, I don't know if that'd function as you'd like it. Instead, what about making your landing site as close to a pirate base as possible and caravanning over to it?

In this particular case I have a base I designed in dev mode that I thought would be fun to try and take over. Your idea would work otherwise, I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to 'give' this to the raiders I've populated it with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh poo poo, really? I love Rimcuisine, but that'd suck if it was one of the things keeping me from my giant colony goals.

It eats a lot of tick time if you use dubs performance monitor with the fermentation thing specifcally.

Danaru posted:

Uh, unstable power cells, which is enough explosive potential to vaporize most of the ship :v:

It's like a small vanometric power cell except it goes off like an antigrain warhead if you break it.

Also I guess someone loves to sleep with their gonads right next to the mechanoid vacuum foam siphon.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 28, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Harvey Baldman posted:

In this particular case I have a base I designed in dev mode that I thought would be fun to try and take over. Your idea would work otherwise, I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to 'give' this to the raiders I've populated it with.

This may be a completely stupid idea, but what about jury rigging Real Ruins mod to do this? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552146295

If you provide it with 1 blueprint, then after landing Dev Mode trigger a Pristine Ruin event, then caravan over to that site (or with dev mode... instantly), it should populate it with enemies and use your blueprint while also still having fog of war around.

Danaru posted:

Small vanometric generators.

Edit:

Not necessarily the unstable mechanoid ones - I think Vanilla Power Expanded adds a small version of the vanometric generator that does 450?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

Small vanometric generators.

Edit:

Not necessarily the unstable mechanoid ones - I think Vanilla Power Expanded adds a small version of the vanometric generator that does 450?

It does, but they look like this:

Unstable ones look like this, and have a sizeable explosive radius, which is why mine are in shielded bunkers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 28, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, it includes a flared base.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's fine it's fine I'm sure nothing will happen. What do you expect me to generate my power with solar? Like a peasant?

...can ship capacitors trigger a zzzt?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, I installed one in my base, and it absolutely did trigger a zzzt.

But ships have those special walls that function as power conduits, so I'm not sure, because it's specifically the conduit that goes zzzt, if you don't build conduit you don't get one as far as I know.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I do enjoy the Rimworld experience of using a cluster of unstable mechanoid power generators to power a spaceship. :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There is a specific "re-fog the map" command in dev mode. Phone posting so no idea what the command name is at the moment but it exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's literally "refog map" though I don't actually know what it does.

E: OK so I pressed it and it literally fogs the map and you have to rediscover all the rooms by opening the doors.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Harvey Baldman posted:

this is actually how I play almost every new colony. There's not a way to unclaim the territory but I just build it, fill it with some hostile NPCs, then equip my own pawns and send them in. The base already belongs to me before the fight starts, but I still have to win the fight to lock things down.

You just have to enforce the rule of "kill everyone" yourself instead of the game enforcing it for you

Bonus: Sometimes I forget enemies in fogged rooms until later on when I'm moving in and starting to partake in everyday life and my chef will get capped by a bandit hiding in the freezer or something

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does giving your population some recreational weed and beer still turn them into irredeemable chem fiends with massive organ failure?

I got kind of alarmed that a few beers after work meant my whole colony needed rolling liver transplants.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Katt posted:

Does giving your population some recreational weed and beer still turn them into irredeemable chem fiends with massive organ failure?

I got kind of alarmed that a few beers after work meant my whole colony needed rolling liver transplants.

Beer is a lot less reliable than weed where you can set weed to be restricted to every 2 days or some such and avoid all problems (other than hunger/sluggishness).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Katt posted:

Although drugs still come with drawbacks, the game tells you the safety limit as well as not triggering downsides based solely on seeing tolerance.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Drugs give you a lot more information now, including just flat out telling you what (if there is one) the safe dosing interval is.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Although drugs still come with drawbacks, the game tells you the safety limit as well as not triggering downsides based solely on seeing tolerance.

Except for Psychite tea, which is still all upsides as long as you stick to the dosing guidelines.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No drug should be allowed to be used for recreation, the colonists will basically use it at random and will inevitably get addicted, and once addicted will use the drug frequently enough that they'll get cirrhosis (or asthma or whatever) in a year.

You can set drugs to be automatically taken at safe intervals for mood management, but I rarely find it worth the effort, even for psychite tea. Tea gives you some tiredness back, but not enough to recoup the time spent making the stuff to begin with. The amount of time needed to plant, harvest, haul, and process the drugs is not trivial, and I find mood is better managed in ways that don't require so much upkeep.

That said, beer is great for selling because it requires the least crafting time and almost every kind of trader loves to buy beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mzbundifund posted:

You can set drugs to be automatically taken at safe intervals for mood management, but I rarely find it worth the effort, even for psychite tea. Tea gives you some tiredness back, but not enough to recoup the time spent making the stuff to begin with. The amount of time needed to plant, harvest, haul, and process the drugs is not trivial, and I find mood is better managed in ways that don't require so much upkeep.

It makes more sense with mods. There are a lot of mods that add little mood-improving "drugs" like (regular) tea and coffee and tobacco and so on. With a little investment, you can keep your colonists insanely happy.

Mzbundifund posted:

That said, beer is great for selling because it requires the least crafting time and almost every kind of trader loves to buy beer.

It's nice to keep some Yayo around for the same reason: it sells for a lot and it can wipe out huge morale penalties in a pinch. Lover just died? Try some cocaine, it's a hell of a drug.