Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Hadlock posted:

I'm in California and keep hearing about people moving out to Boston, but have never seen anyone move away from Boston to go to California

Do those people in Boston end up moving to NYC or do they just stay in Boston forever or where do they go next

I moved from Boston to the Bay Area when everyone got laid off at Subatomic, so here's at least one.

Seems like ultimately everyone from California flees to Austin (myself included).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

paberu posted:

That's true, I've been primarily working for a mobile dev for the past year and they are doing pretty well! I've been enjoying it, but I think I personally prefer working inside a studio (or more integrated into the team) rather than freelance so I'm currently applying for any concept art positions in Orange County and greater LA area.

I'm taking it then if I'm not hearing back then it's more likely I'm not a good fit rather than anything to do with current pandemic.

Most teams are more engineering bound than art bound, and when art bound it's usually not in concept it's modelling or whatever other content churn.

I would expect people are extremely picky with concept art roles. It may be worth broadening the roles you're looking at.

Not an artist, and not involved in hiring artists, so lots of salt with the viewpoint.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

paberu posted:

I'm taking it then if I'm not hearing back then it's more likely I'm not a good fit rather than anything to do with current pandemic.

I'm not sure I'd take it that far. Hiring might still be happening but it's probably very much slowed/requires more approvals. In my non-games job we've entered a total hiring freeze. I work for a VERY large non-gaming non-tech company that is still doing pretty well, but while we assess and try to prevent layoffs all hiring is stopped.

Don't let it get you down keep applying but don't be surprised if it's harder/slower to hear back/get hired. Don't forget that HR is also taking a big productivity hit since they can't walk over to someones desk and ask why no decision has been made.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My studio got acquired by Sumo. Very exciting!

That article got the wrong end of the stick, though. We're not merging with Sumo Leamington or having anything to do with their studio space.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most software places seem to still be hiring

We are hiring like mad but everything is in disarray due to pandemic hitting right before the end of the quarter so the board is in disarray and startle easily and been dragging their feet, which is causing eng mgmt to be more cautious and slow things down

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

This quarantine made me realise how much I loathed getting up every morning for my current job, so I did the needful and noped out. I can't believe how much it made me happier and less anxious even with the looming thoughts of C19 and no income.

Been gently poking around for other places but right now i'm quite content in floating by and doing some modding and catching up with some games.

London Snr. Design based atm, sniffing around for remote work. Basically lead/principal with a never changing title.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2020

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Fishbus posted:

This quarantine made me realise how much I loathed getting up every morning for my current job, so I did the needful and noped out. I can't believe how much it made me less anxious and happier even with the looming idea of C19 and no income.

Been gently poking around for other places but right now i'm quite content in floating by and doing some modding and catching up with some games.

London Snr Design based atm, sniffing around for remote work. Basically lead/principal with a never changing title.

Mad props! I'm very close to noping out of my current situation. Got a meeting with the CEO on Tuesday to discuss my frustrations with the leadership on this project after two years. I'm hoping they listen to my feedback and take it seriously and truly listen, otherwise I don't see a positive outlook from here and will continue planning my escape. Senior 3D guy here. Been having to turn down almost daily internal recruiters for companies that are working on games with much more interesting/exciting art and gameplay. Working on a little diorama for my application to a company nearby that I would love to work with. The only reason I'm sticking it out right now is because I don't want to overload some of the really great coworkers I have that aren't the issue with a bunch of my work right before cert/launch. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we're a fairly small art team and I really don't wanna put that pressure on the good people I've been working alongside.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 15, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Fishbus posted:

This quarantine made me realise how much I loathed getting up every morning for my current job, so I did the needful and noped out. I can't believe how much it made me less anxious and happier even with the looming idea of C19 and no income.

Yeah, between quarantine and the UE5 announcement, I've come to realise that not working on graphics in a video game studio (I'm doing graphics at some non-gaming AR startup) is making me feel miserable and like I'm missing out. Sadly, I can't bail because I'm on a work visa, and incidentally, I think the roni is going to make it incredibly hard for me to move since I'd have to leave and reenter the country to change visas.

Looks like I'll be stuck here for a while. :smith:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

ceebee posted:

Mad props! I'm very close to noping out of my current situation. Got a meeting with the CEO on Tuesday to discuss my frustrations with the leadership on this project after two years. I'm hoping they listen to my feedback and take it seriously and truly listen, otherwise I don't see a positive outlook from here and will continue planning my escape. Senior 3D guy here. Been having to turn down almost daily internal recruiters for companies that are working on games with much more interesting/exciting art and gameplay. Working on a little diorama for my application to a company nearby that I would love to work with. The only reason I'm sticking it out right now is because I don't want to overload some of the really great coworkers I have that aren't the issue with a bunch of my work right before cert/launch. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we're a fairly small art team and I really don't wanna put that pressure on the good people I've been working alongside.

I don't know enough about you to know whether you need this unsolicited advice but here it is anyway, apologies.

Keep this conversation positive. Refrain from saying blanket statements like "X is bad." Rather, say "X can improve in Y way by doing Z." Don't be a problem employee who is raising problems. Be a concerned employee fighting for improvements and asking for the CEO's help in solving them. Even if you don't have any solutions to offer, stick with the facts about what's wrong without making any value judgments and ask for help. "X is interfering with my ability to do work, my workaround is Y." Or, "If we go in X direction then there's a drawback Y that I'm not sure that the people who made the decision took into consideration."

Good luck.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Vino posted:

I don't know enough about you to know whether you need this unsolicited advice but here it is anyway, apologies.

Keep this conversation positive. Refrain from saying blanket statements like "X is bad." Rather, say "X can improve in Y way by doing Z." Don't be a problem employee who is raising problems. Be a concerned employee fighting for improvements and asking for the CEO's help in solving them. Even if you don't have any solutions to offer, stick with the facts about what's wrong without making any value judgments and ask for help. "X is interfering with my ability to do work, my workaround is Y." Or, "If we go in X direction then there's a drawback Y that I'm not sure that the people who made the decision took into consideration."

Good luck.

This is solid advice and definitely part of my plan. I have no intention of just being a complainer or a problem employee.

Thanks Vino, I appreciate the advice and luck :) ...even if my feedback falls on deaf ears or nothing changes, at least I'll sleep easy at night knowing I tried to help. It's not like this studio is failing or dying, but I can tell there's a lot of frustration going on, and that's bad news for keeping employees happy and productive. I'm just passionate about this poo poo, and our industry. Been gaming for 30+ years and game developing for almost 10 years. And I've finally built back up my confidence to do some poo poo about BS that I witness.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 18, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Been doing QA for IBM for a couple of years, don't like the direction things seem to be going there so considering a return to games, hopefully London. Before big blue I was at Sony HQ for 3 years as a project coordinator, so hoping to leverage that into production or maybe something more in the business space with a publisher.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hey, I didn't realize this thread was here for some reason. I'm a senior programmer at a shop of about 150 in Chicago and Orlando (I'm in Chicago). We do mostly contract work, including a lot of ports to console, but some original stuff as well. I've done mostly network/systems/console platform integration stuff but we're all pretty much generalists so I've touched a bunch of other poo poo too. AMA I guess

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has anyone ever had a problem being stuck somewhere due to home ownership. I've been in the process of buying a place in London, where my current job is, but I've started looking around again since I'm not satisfied. There's so much up in the air now, but I also think it's bad to stay in a job without prospects.

And on the search, I did project coordination for three years, but can't seem to get to interview on any production roles. What could be the problem? I highlight everything relevant in my CV, including leadership in over jobs. It looks to me like I've done the job for three years but it's not being acknowledged.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You know you can always sell the house, or even rent it out if it's in a populated area. Don't think that home ownership locks you into any area, thats a big mistake I see everywhere. Yeah it's a pain in the rear end maintaining a property when you're away but you can also hire a property management company or something to help you out.

If you want production role jobs, start marketing yourself as a production role expert. It's all about how you convey yourself through your resume and through phone/in-person interviews about what type of responsibilities and value you can offer to potential employers.

Also today marks almost a full month since I quit the industry, it's been such a relief after 9-10 long years. Finally able to focus on my own business.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

ceebee posted:

Also today marks almost a full month since I quit the industry, it's been such a relief after 9-10 long years. Finally able to focus on my own business.

Wait a second. There's an intermediary update missing here! Last the thread heard, you were going to talk to the CEO. Now it's been a month since you quit!?

(Also I like that that 9-10 year span all happened in this thread.)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

devilmouse posted:

Wait a second. There's an intermediary update missing here! Last the thread heard, you were going to talk to the CEO. Now it's been a month since you quit!?

(Also I like that that 9-10 year span all happened in this thread.)

Holy smokes, i can't believe the last time i posted here was 7 years ago. I've been through 3 companies in that time.

Now i'm just a month into being funemployed like ceebee and I'm loving every minute of it.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem being stuck somewhere due to home ownership. I've been in the process of buying a place in London, where my current job is, but I've started looking around again since I'm not satisfied. There's so much up in the air now, but I also think it's bad to stay in a job without prospects.

And on the search, I did project coordination for three years, but can't seem to get to interview on any production roles. What could be the problem? I highlight everything relevant in my CV, including leadership in over jobs. It looks to me like I've done the job for three years but it's not being acknowledged.

Would you mind sharing your resume? Might be able to offer some insight or at least some advice when applying (13yr production vet - gently caress I'm old). Obviously a lot of other vets willing to help in this thread too!

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 23, 2020

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I can't believe this thread has been around for almost a decade now. Love that I'm seeing familiar names here.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi I'm still here too.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

JOB POSTING - Dallas, TX - Full Stack Developer

Who we are: A 3D/VR software & design agency in DFW

What we need:

A full-stack developer to:

- Create a CMS-like system, that has user-creation, read/write to a database, interface with Amazon AWS services. (Start/stop EC2 instances, gather uptime and cost data, and display this data via HTML).
- Create various database and server backends for video-game-like projects written in Unreal (UE4/UE5), Unity, and webGL.
- Possibility to write some Unreal/Unity code to interface with your backend
- Some server administration (Linux/Windows/AWS/DigitalOcean)

You choose the frameworks, the server OS, the database-type!!! (You will have a great deal of freedom in choosing the technologies you use. If you want to do everything in Node, LAMP, ASP.NET, or Java, you probably can! You get to engineer most everything as you see fit.)

PM me for more details!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Also here. Maybe we should make a new thread because this one still has the same title from ages ago and I don't think Shalinor is around anymore.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Totally happy if someone wants to make a new OP -- honestly it's probably worth an update now in the post-COVID "everyone works from home now" era.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, I thought she was the OP. In any case I can take a crack later.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Oh no, if we start a new thread, the glorious history will be lost to the new search function!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well nevermind then. Let's keep it.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Also I like that I just referred to the "new" search function and it's probably at least a few years old at this point. :(

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I think it would be entirely appropriate if we all talked wistfully about how the new thread will be so much better and organized and we won't make the same mistakes that we did the first time....while ultimately sticking with the old thread and keeping it lumbering on.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In the new thread I wont make the same mistake I made in this thread which was to start a career in video games. :boom:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Games are great. I love my job.
Related to this, our port of Star Wars Episode 1: Racer just came out on PS4 and Switch, in case anyone has nostalgia for an N64 game they want to revisit!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 24, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I miss a lot of things about working in our office, but I loving love the peace and quiet. I have an active construction site next to my house and its still far, far quieter than my office.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I love working from home more than any open floor plan. I'd love it even more if I still worked in games, though. :shepicide:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I like to WFH because it takes me an hour to get to work and my home PC is more comfortable.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I miss my coworkers, because I actually like most of them, and I miss being downtown and around people and stuff. I don't miss the commute, I have an alarm but don't need it anymore because I'm always up in plenty of time to "get to work". We had two offices and a number of remote workers, so the vidcon stuff hasn't really changed at all -- my standups were on Teams when i was in the office anyway. I just miss the social part of work (and everything else)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've worked full time from home since April 2017. People's commute numbers horrify me now. I'm ruined forever.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I like working from home, but I’m lucky in that I have both an electric sit/stand desk and an aeron chair and a huge ultra wide monitor. Been working from home since late February.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

xgalaxy posted:

I like working from home, but I’m lucky in that I have both an electric sit/stand desk and an aeron chair and a huge ultra wide monitor. Been working from home since late February.

I got my (manual) sit-stand riser and aeron-knockoff chair delivered when I had to get more devkits (there's 7 of them now) delivered. But my producer told me not to tell anyone else that I got my riser or chair, so I have to have it lowered whenever I'm on calls

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I love working from home because gently caress spending two hours a day on the train but I miss my coworkers and I also really miss the office air-con.

On the other hand, working from home alongside my husband is really nice and he makes great lunches and I get to pet my cats whenever I want, sooooo I am not terribly keen on the idea of going back to the office ever. Maybe one day a week.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dinurth posted:

Would you mind sharing your resume? Might be able to offer some insight or at least some advice when applying (13yr production vet - gently caress I'm old). Obviously a lot of other vets willing to help in this thread too!

It's probably fine, I've put it up on my website. Can't think of a serious privacy issue and it goes away if the forum gets nuked anyway.

http://www.alexmaw.com/my-cv

I do tailor CVs per application but I'd probably send something very much like this for a production role. Still working on the Squarespace formatting.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's probably fine, I've put it up on my website. Can't think of a serious privacy issue and it goes away if the forum gets nuked anyway.

http://www.alexmaw.com/my-cv

I do tailor CVs per application but I'd probably send something very much like this for a production role. Still working on the Squarespace formatting.

Few quick knee-jerk things (I'll add more when I have more time).
  • Minor thing, but you seem very "blah" in the picture. Take it off your resume - this might be a personal thing but I always find pictures in resumes weird. I don't care what you look like; can you do the job and do you fit the culture?
  • Summary is a bit buzz-wordy and generic, I feel like I'd read that on most linkedin summaries.
  • If a recruiter is reading this they are going to see: IBM - not games, Project Coord - video, QA, QA, QA... and it might be an instant pass. Highlight any production tasks you did across all positions.
  • I do think you have a good base of experience; with QA you should understand the general process of working on games, and all the fun bullshit that goes with it. Being a PC on video should let you develop your scheduling, problem solving, coordination, and interpersonal skills. These are also the things I would grill you on in interviews.
  • Play up your project coordinator role and add specifics if possible.

Are you sure you want to get into Production? Do you enjoy it? I see a lot of people attempt Production just because they see it as a path, not necessarily what they want do.

Others please feel free to chime in before the forums die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I love working from home, even though I'm now in PDT working on EDT time :negative:.