Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I know Mira may not seem like the best of people, but I still think we should go back and shoot Eric again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Look, we've all done some wacky things in our time. And we've got two previous Zeros as part of the squad. I don't see any reason why a woman who's out there questing to understand things she hasn't been able to grasp her whole life is bad to have around. :v:

...I like Mira.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Omobono posted:

If we didn't, then something really strange is going on. Previous games, you had access only to timelines you had actually unlocked. Why do we currently have access to the "D-team got executed" timeline?
It would be consistent with Zero II having some amount of access to the morphogenic field and being an actively malicious actor; he did rig the initial coin flip after all.

When I played this, I was initially very put off by the whole "fragment" thing. I didn't like not having an idea of how the timeline fit together or how the scenes I was watching resulted from the choices I'd made (or hadn't made). It got bad enough that I stopped playing for a while, and only returned much later when some people I knew were discussing the game and I wanted to be able to take part. Once I got more into it, I realized that the purpose behind the whole thing was to decouple the results from the choices because of the memory-erasing drugs - by starting the player in a state of not knowing what had happened leading up to this point, we ultimately have the same information as the characters: a general idea of what's going on, but no idea what has happened or how the current situation fits into any timeline. When I thought about it that way, I really appreciated the mechanic.

The long gap, however, was enough to make me forget that the execution choices, specifically, were not affected by the memory-erasing drugs, which kind of undermines the whole thing. So whatever you do, don't think about that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

It would be consistent with Zero II having some amount of access to the morphogenic field and being an actively malicious actor; he did rig the initial coin flip after all.

I'm voting that Zero abso-lutely has some sort of level of morphogenetic field sampling at this point. Things don't line up properly otherwise.

quote:

For all their faults, Klim ran his game fairly and Akane wasn't actively malicious; well, apart from railroading that rear end in a top hat at the start of 999 but that was 75% Ace's fault.

Let's think about the purposes of Zero and Zero III's games.

Zero (Akane): To rescue her past self with the help of Junpei. Also, to give Ace and the Ninth Man their comeuppance.

Zero III (Sigma... technically): To awaken Sigma and Phi's psychic powers so they could save the world, previously - as demonstrated in this installment. In theory.

So what purpose does Zero II have? He's not doing this just for kicks. Nope. No way, no how.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

I'm voting that Zero abso-lutely has some sort of level of morphogenetic field sampling at this point. Things don't line up properly otherwise.

Glad you agree. Let's see how much egg we'll end up with on our face.

Quackles posted:

So what purpose does Zero II have? He's not doing this just for kicks. Nope. No way, no how.

Is it a benevolent reason, though? I mean, this poo poo ends up releasing radical-6 in what for the moment I consider the "main" timeline (because it's the VLR timeline).

Future Sigma was desperate and he and Akane put their money with their mouth during the ambidex game. Akane straight up let herself get killed (by Dio, that's gotta sting getting killed by that human-shaped waste) in two timelines out of three.

So what could possibly justify releasing radical-6 or considering its release as acceptable collateral damage?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Mira is gross.

This pretty much confirms there was no psychological screening for DCOM, unless they went "let's include a psychopath to see what happens".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

wologar posted:

Mira is gross.

This pretty much confirms there was no psychological screening for DCOM, unless they went "let's include a psychopath to see what happens".

Either that or they were actively looking for fuckups. To test a worst case scenario, maybe?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DKII posted:

There was a whole conversion in the "Execution: Q" fragment about a killer that went by the name "Heart Ripper", ripping out the heart of their victims. I don't remember if it's confirmed elsewhere but it's heavily implied here that it's Mira. So that part of that post can be an interesting re-read now.
Would recommend people go back and re-read that conversation. In particular, there's a gif of Mira nodding blankly during the Heart Ripper conversation that looks creepy as poo poo now knowing that it's her.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DKII posted:

Maybe it's similar to a human heart?

Even with the goofy helmet, we can feel the expression he's pulling right there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo, Mira.

I mean, to be fair, if the whole world kept telling me I look better when I smile I'd probably become a bit murderous too

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I got this scene way later in my playthrough and I had been hoping all the time that Eric was the serial killer. It seemed like the only way to make him not suck. Getting murdered by the serial killer is a nice option too.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Can we talk for just a second about how Eric is using a grenade launcher in a standoff where everyone is about 3 feet apart?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fedule posted:

Even with the goofy helmet, we can feel the expression he's pulling right there.

:shepface:

It's interesting to compare this with the other games. In 999 characters were (mostly) up front, and revelations you learn would be about how they tied into the Nonary game. It might only be after taking a route where you get to know Lotus that you learn her daughters went missing for a while and don't talk about it (the implications of which click later) but it's not some big event to do so.

Then in VLR every character gets an ending where their backstory is the star, but only after doing a whole route completely centered around them. Quark's letter about growing up in a post-apocalyptic world is depressing because you can see his personality in it and why he made choices he did. Luna's pacifistic unwillingness to betray is revealed to be because she's bound by the Laws of Robotics, and her defiance of her programming causes her to fall apart in your arms while you reassure her that she's as human as anyone. The ending is a capstone on their story where the game gets to twist the knife or contextualize some actions.

Then in this game since everything's fragmented you can find out Mira's a serial killer right away. Every other scene we do in Q-branch is going to have that dramatic irony front and center, knowing what she is but unable to do anything about it. And this game is full of stuff like that; we happened to do the scene on the TV before this room, but that could have been the player's shocking reveal and they'd then play through the other scene in dread of how it would end up (not that that was very subtle once body parts started appearing). The order the player does things will change which parts of the story are suspense or revelation, and in my opinion it's impressive that it still works no matter which you pick.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is it a bad sign that despite being a literal serial killer I'd much rather have Mira be alive than Eric?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I honestly don't think I've ever rolled my eyes so much at a fictional character in my life. Can we preemptively vote to murder Eric at every opportunity?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 14: Don't Shoot

Another immediate fragment replay. We shot Eric last time, so this time we're going with the next most popular option from the "Triangle" update.

Why shoot anyone at all?

Music: Bereavement

I'll just...slowly put my weapon down first...

Missing Lip Animations: 12

The crossbow starts to dip...

Mira doesn't move yet.

Neither does Eric.

A grunt out of Eric, whose eyebrows go up in surprise.

N-No!

Music: Sacrificial Demise (Demise 2nd Mix)

Mira and Eric stand up as the smoke clears.

I'm really glad we shot him the first time.

Chimes, and the computer lady returns.

Cut straight to Mira and Eric opening the X-Door.

The door finishes opening.

Let's get out of here and build a happy home and wonderful future together!

Y-Yeah...

They run through the open door, with Eric laughing the whole way.

Music: Reminiscence

Man, I don't think I could be any happier. I have you, Mira, and this bed is super comfy... I couldn't ask for anything more! Isn't that right?

Yeah, right...

I hope we can be like this every day. Forever and ever and--

A sharp noise, and the screen flashes white and then red.

And that's it. Mira still gets her "heart" in the end.

Back to the Team Select screen. We can still replay the Study, so it's the exact same poll as last time. Select the story fragment.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Hmm let's see it's not on the poll for some reason but I vote for gently caress you Eric you piece of poo poo

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's go for Take 3, except this time shooting the psychotic serial killer. Or shoot Eric again, that was probably a good call the first time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can we get a do-over on test subject assignments? Maybe replace Eric with someone who isn't a sniveling pissant?

Maybe we can get Seven in here, or Snake, or hell, I'll take Quark and he doesn't even exist yet!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I say we go back to C Team's execution choice and vote for Q Team. They're a mess.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Eric you didn't do poo poo, sit the gently caress down

I vote stick the grenade launcher up Eric's rear end and pull the trigger

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

You know Mira is a literal heart eating serial killer but she's still somehow preferable to Eric.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You can lock someone away for being a serial killer. You can't do that to someone just for being annoying

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He's such a wonderful hate sink character. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

For some reason, I see Q as having a pained expression on his face in the 'route select' menu this time.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Eric you didn't do poo poo, sit the gently caress down

I vote stick the grenade launcher up Eric's rear end and pull the trigger

Let's not take away from his accomplishments, he just murdered a small child.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

NeverHelm posted:

Do you want to reconsider that statement?

I mean, Eric was hardly a glowing example of humanity, but at least he's not a serial killer. As far as we know.

They're both a waste. I think I said it at the beginning, but I want Eric and Mira dead, but if I can only choose 1 it's Eric.

Because he will always be a piece of poo poo, but I doubt Mira would kill a child.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Weirdly Mira being a straight up sociopath makes her more relatable than Eric being whatever you call that

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, we don't know Eric's backstory yet.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Junpei posted:

And I hope we never do.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Junpei posted:

I'm sure it'll be filled in by his buddies Brody, Chad, and Skylar at some point

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Well the vote is another runaway and it's a short segment so I'll probably close it soon to push out the update and get to the next vote.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 15: Shoot Mira

Heavy interest in seeing the last option currently available for the Study.

So far we've tried to not shoot anyone...

And we shot Eric. That's still the best ending so far.

Take three.

Here we go again.

Let's see what happens if we get rid of the serial killer instead.

Music: Consternation 2nd Mix

A yell as the crossbow is fired.

Why...?

Mira...

Oh hey we got to shoot Eric again after all. I have a feeling some of you voters knew what was going to happen!

If you do it there, then his heart will be gone! Your heart, I have to--

This scene makes way more sense if you watch it after shooting Eric. Or intending to shoot Eric, rather.

The hand falls, and Eric dies. Again. (That's three-for-three, for those counting at home.)

I just... I just...

And lest we forget, you tried to kill me, didn't you?

Mira is a lot less friendly when a) she's the target, and b) Eric's heart is destroyed before she can touch it.

Two shots fired, with the screen flashing white each time. Something falls, though it sounds metallic.

Music: Sacrificial Demise (Demise 2nd Mix)

Mira's work done, she lowers the gun.

Computer lady is back!

This couldn't have ended any shittier.

Another falling noise.

And Mira walks away.

Well, at least we got to shoot Eric again? We're done with the Pantry for now, but the other 15 options are still there. Select the story fragment.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Now that we've suffered through the trash, let's take it out (trash disposal room's got my vote)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

If this image was higher resolution you could read that Q's X-pass (top center) is BRO.

Edit:
We haven't had nearly enough Eric death yet, so I'm voting for C-Execution. Remember D-team already voted Q, so if we change C-team's vote Eric dies again.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I voted C-Team Execution just so we can just kill all these assholes at once.

Sorry Q, just luck of the draw.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Healing Room.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I do like how the early votes are split between "Let's go see D-Team for once" and "Let's go kill Eric again".

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DKII posted:

I do like how the early votes are split between "Let's go see D-Team for once" and "Let's go kill Eric again".

We can kill Eric again? Let's do that!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Eric is even the worst when sacrificing himself to save the love of his life, jesus christ I forgot how much I loathe that fucker.