Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Hi, I've got a technical question here about Xbox 360. Upgraded my router and it's the kind that tehnically broadcasts two Wi-Fi networks (2.4ghz and a 5ghz), but uses a single SSID and dynamically assigns devices to the preferable band. The 360 doesn't play nice with this, as it gives me an error about duplicate SSIDs when I try to connect.

Is there a known workaround for this? I can choose to have my router use two discrete SSIDs for the different bands, but I'm not gonna do that for one old device. I can suck it up and use an ethernet connection if I must, I'd just have to rearrange some of the connections on my ethernet switch and I'm trying to avoid that. Don't care to have a strong connection for the 360 as I don't have an active Live sub, but I do want it to connect to the Internet still.

I could be wrong, but I suspect this is going to be unresolvable unless the 360 has a firmware update that fixes this. How many other devices do you have which use 2.4 GHz? I'd look at splitting the two networks, keep the 5 GHz on your current name and give the 2.4 GHz some other name. If everything else continues working fine, just proceed with that configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get a wire or powerline adaptor if you cant run a wire directly. The latter is the only way i can get the switch to download in my bedroom with its embarrassing wifi

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

No mans sky on gamepass next month, legit my most hyped non played game. Just never could get around to buying it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I finished the story of RDR2 just yesterday after tinkering with the game for two weeks.

One one hand the amount of content in this game is staggering. I've put around 150+ hours into it and still haven't seen some stuff that I know about, for example the numerous KKK meetings. I've tried to not use guides and just naturally stumble onto things. There's such a large variance in encounters - even though many of the random stranger events are similar, Rockstar created many different permutations of them to keep things fresh. There's a lot of things to do that don't relate to the story and many of the game's best moments are contained in freeroam encounters and secret places you just accidentally find.

But the game is not without problems. In fact, it has a ton of them. The controls are not the first thing I'd complain about, in fact I kind of respect Rockstar's commitment to be different in that regard. It all reminds me a lot of the early Assassin's Creed games and how Patrice Désilets wanted to make the control scheme feel like puppeteering:

quote:

And so Désilets found himself returning to the stage. Only this time it was a virtual one, populated by an audience of crowds and NPC enemies. “For me, videogame characters are the beginning of a roleplay,” he explains. “In general, in games you don’t play a lot of the character – you fight the control scheme or the character does something you can’t relate to. We wanted to make Altaïr close to a real human being. We had this idea of making the control scheme like controlling a puppet – so you could play the actor part of it. That’s why you don’t lose control in the cinematics.”

When Désilets first thought of this, his acting classes came back to him. Stanislavski’s theory that physical movements hold the key to an actor’s emotional memory seems particularly apt: you might not be able to emote through speech, but you can do so through Altaïr’s actions – by shoving through crowds, attacking passers-by or quietly blending in among scholars.

No, what I feel holds the game back is how a lot of it is still rooted in the gameplay fundamentals of GTA III. Rockstar has been incredibly stubborn to evolve their game systems; just as the presentation factor is constantly upgraded above and beyond modern standards. It's a strange contrast.

The story and writing is definitely better than anything Rockstar has put out before but that doesn't mean it's necessarily great. I'm sure that during its 6-7 year development period tons of things got switched around and changed, because the story we ended up getting in RDR2 is a hot mess of contradictions and tonal whiplash. I have enough thoughts on it that could fill a decent essay but here's my general breakdown of the chapters:

Chapter 1: Really good and incredibly strong opening
Chapter 2 Decent but lengthy, somewhat stretched
Chapter 3: Started having some second thoughts about the writing quality
Chapter 4: A large slog until you get towards the end, then it picks up again
Chapter 5: This did not need to be in the game and could've been cut out entirely
Chapter 6: Pretty dreary throughout for obvious reasons but I did enjoy some of it, finale sucked rear end though
Epilogue, Part 1: A nice change of pace after what came before, perhaps the best chapter aside from the first one
Epilogue, Part 2: My favorite was building the house, wish that was more involved, honestly

There's still a lot of smaller complaints I have, such as: The dissonance between what Arthur writes in his journal and how he actually behaves when interacting with people, the constant rehashing of the tension between Arthur and Dutch that gets stretched far too long, stupid sniper missions where you're stuck in scoped mode and have no awareness of who is shooting at the people you're supposed to be covering, enemies literally spawning behind you as a lame "gotcha" despite the emphasis on realism and sense of place elsewhere, the shooting gallery murder sprees that would make Nathan Drake flinch, having lots of money but not being able to pay off debts due to "story reasons", etc. etc.

...but overall I enjoyed it. It would've never been my GOTY for 2018, that's for sure.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I beat Outer Worlds yesterday. Pretty good game but it felt like it was missing a whole third of it. I mean I'm suppose to be exploring an entire solar system but only go to two (technically three) planets?

But yeah the game is good. It's basically the spiritual successor to New Vegas. Had some of the strongest role playing I've experienced in some time.

I enjoyed Outer Worlds but I feel like it is a perfect example of a good Game Pass game. If I had paid full price, I would have been disappointed with how shallow it was and how disappointing a lot of the later side content was. But roll it into Game Pass, and I can enjoy a solid B experience and move on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
All the post-32bit era has consistently been hamstrung by weirdly dogmatic gameplay and the Houser brothers obsession with making games into bad movies. There's a lot of fun stuff that's possible in the engine (see: a lot of the interesting stuff happening in GTAO) but for some reason they think people want a realistic experience more than a fun one.

I really wish somebody other than them had access to the tech and the sea of human slave labor that's needed to draw up something like the GTA4 and 5's cities. Imagine if the people who made Saints Row 3 had it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The thing that kills me is that there's truly no real reason to not include some "go hog wild"/riot/whatever cheat codes in the game. If you bring up the GTAV MP mode editor it has options to instigate fun stuff like setting a big rear end circle radius anywhere on the map and making a bunch of bots play deathmatch or something inside of it.

It's almost a hidden feature as it is there, but how much more fun would you have had in the game if whenever you wanted you could punch in some cheat code and all the NPC's started going nuts? dumb stuff.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Nowadays it would be behind DLC like Crackdowns "Keys to the City"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bushisms.txt posted:

No mans sky on gamepass next month, legit my most hyped non played game. Just never could get around to buying it.

Free is a pretty good price for it. NMS is a great example for why "procedurally generated" is a dumb idea. They've fixed it a bit, but it's too tedious to have to go find the materials you need and to remember which planet had what and where it was. Combine that with not being able to carry much of whatever you're looking for, and having to deal with gigantic storage boxes that hold barely anything in them. It's fun to fly around in space, check out a few planets, and look at neat aliens. They've also massively revamped the game enough times that there are now multiple main quests and each quest seems to do sort of the same thing but takes you to different places but one of them is obsolete and its end goal isn't used anymore. I don't remember which one it was. I just got bored of my cargo ship having to abandon every run even though it's supposed to be an easy difficulty one because it gets damaged, and then trying to wrangle with my inventory to be able to hold enough of whatever material I need back at my base. I originally bought it back when they were saying that the VR update was just around the corner. I ended up getting bored of it before they ever actually released that update.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

graventy posted:

I enjoyed Outer Worlds but I feel like it is a perfect example of a good Game Pass game. If I had paid full price, I would have been disappointed with how shallow it was and how disappointing a lot of the later side content was. But roll it into Game Pass, and I can enjoy a solid B experience and move on.

The game isn't shallow at all, at least gameplay wise. It has fantastic role playing. The issue is that at least one third of game is missing.

I agree that if I paid $60 I'd be a bit bummed being that I finished it in three days

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Outer Worlds was a short, current gen Fallout NV and that worked just fine for me

Hopefully the next game is longer

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I really enjoyed it but I wish they would have dialed the writing back from a 12 to more of a 7 or 8. We get it guys, capitalism bad. It started out charming and funny but they really bash you over the head with it as the game goes on.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I thought outer worlds was a boring/rote rehash of much better games and systems. It completely justified gamepass for me because I would have bought that dumb game otherwise.

I loved RDR2 but it was for the amazingly detailed and fun world not the plot. Rockstar needs to find a way to update their mission structure to match the worlds they build. I’m not exactly sure how either.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The planets were really boring and the gameplay was bad

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ultrachrist posted:

I loved RDR2 but it was for the amazingly detailed and fun world not the plot. Rockstar needs to find a way to update their mission structure to match the worlds they build. I’m not exactly sure how either.

The Witcher games formula would fit. Populate the thing with less main quests and more side-quests that you have to stumble into and are sometimes extremely elaborate, and sometimes super simple.

One of the reasons GTA and RDR feel so hollow is that they minimize the amount of mystery there is regarding what's available to do. They put big ol icons on everything and make you play 3 different tutorials to make sure you know you can do them. RDR gets better about a bigger variety of random scenes happening in the world but it's still just as bad for actual activities and missions.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Minidust posted:

Hi, I've got a technical question here about Xbox 360. Upgraded my router and it's the kind that tehnically broadcasts two Wi-Fi networks (2.4ghz and a 5ghz), but uses a single SSID and dynamically assigns devices to the preferable band. The 360 doesn't play nice with this, as it gives me an error about duplicate SSIDs when I try to connect.

Is there a known workaround for this? I can choose to have my router use two discrete SSIDs for the different bands, but I'm not gonna do that for one old device. I can suck it up and use an ethernet connection if I must, I'd just have to rearrange some of the connections on my ethernet switch and I'm trying to avoid that. Don't care to have a strong connection for the 360 as I don't have an active Live sub, but I do want it to connect to the Internet still.

you are choosing to dabble in the dark arts of wireless B/G/maybe N wifi networking when you already said you can just move some cables around.

if you can pick it up and use it on battery, use wifi. if it plugs in to mains power use ethernet.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m probably the only goon who likes this series, but they announced a new Toy Soldiers game, Finest Hour, set in WWII. The last one was a bit of a misstep, hopefully they get back on track.

If you’ve never played them check out a video on YouTube; basically tower defense with a bit more interactivity and awesome aesthetic. IMO they’re hidden gems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The toy soldiers franchise is going on 15 years of being enjoyable games that get my hopes up of being a new Toy Commander game

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Laserface posted:

you are choosing to dabble in the dark arts of wireless B/G/maybe N wifi networking when you already said you can just move some cables around.

if you can pick it up and use it on battery, use wifi. if it plugs in to mains power use ethernet.
Haha yeah deep down I know you're right. I'm planning on adding a 4x2 HDMI switch into my home theater setup soon, so I'll prob just address the ethernet cables at that time. Worst case I could just swap out the PS3's cable (assuming it plays nice with the WiFi) if I'm out of ports or whatever. I know PS3 has notoriously bad WiFi but it's another case where I'm rarely playing an actual online game on said console... as long as all the older stuff has an online connection in the end I'll be happy. :)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Haha yeah deep down I know you're right. I'm planning on adding a 4x2 HDMI switch into my home theater setup soon, so I'll prob just address the ethernet cables at that time. Worst case I could just swap out the PS3's cable (assuming it plays nice with the WiFi) if I'm out of ports or whatever. I know PS3 has notoriously bad WiFi but it's another case where I'm rarely playing an actual online game on said console... as long as all the older stuff has an online connection in the end I'll be happy. :)

Yeah I just have my PS3 on WiFi due to a lack of ports because its hard drive image is more or less permanent at this stage, save data aside.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Welp, seems the Series X's Backwards Compatibility won't be all-encompassing after all.

quote:

Ronald also spoke with IGN, and when asked if "thousands" meant that the goal was every single Xbox One game – in addition the hundreds of Xbox 360 and original Xbox games already compatible with Xbox One that will also play on Xbox Series X – Ronald said, "The goal is definitely the thousands of titles that run on Xbox One today. If the game runs on Xbox One, it is our goal to get that to run on Series X. There might be some one-off exceptions here or there," he added, noting that "licensing or a technical issue[s]" should be the only possible roadblocks. For instance, in the former case, a game with licensed music whose contract with the publisher has expired.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-to-launch-with-thousands-of-games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It will be all-encompassing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Weird how music licensing is such a bigger headache for catalogue games than it is for old movies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheScott2K posted:

Weird how music licensing is such a bigger headache for catalogue games than it is for old movies.

I think the movie industry uses a different contract that gives them proper use ownership given that movies get released in different formats and can be on dvd store shelves for decades.

Meanwhile for games they used to expect to print so many copies and that's it. And most of those copies sell out within 3-5 years, with after that being the second hand market.

Just my theory. Remember this generation is the first for consoles with a truly robust digital distribution system. Xbox 360 didn't even have digital games besides small arcade ones for years.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

univbee posted:

Welp, seems the Series X's Backwards Compatibility won't be all-encompassing after all.

thats normal for backwards compat, theres always technical edge cases.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Music licensing has nothing to do with real backwards compatibility only with this repackaging solution xbox has to tinker with a game and put it in a custom wrapper and send it to you digitally whether you have the disc or not.

They are technically making a new version with their method, not making an existing product work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
the xbone compatibility specifically isnt that though, its just normal backwards compatibility.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I sure wish there was a way of getting the Sega Rally XBLA release from 2011 that got delisted in 2012.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

the xbone compatibility specifically isnt that though, its just normal backwards compatibility.

Yeah xb1 on xbsx should never encounter a music licensing problem outside of losing the rights to sell new copies. thats why im trippin on that statement

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That statement is for a point in the future where the music rights revert and not now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
i would assume thats more aimed at the 360 and og titles that are meaningfully ported

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Will they revoke your license when the rights terminate or let you keep playing the ported version? :iiam:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Will they revoke your license when the rights terminate or let you keep playing the ported version? :iiam:

It'd not be the first time this happened, you keep anything on the console itself, the game is delisted, no redownloading.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you never bought the game because you had a 360 disc i wonder will they let you keep the xb1 version tho
Idk if they flag it as purchased or not

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Healbot posted:

It'd not be the first time this happened, you keep anything on the console itself, the game is delisted, no redownloading.

I think that games like Outrun or Marvel vs Capcom 2 etc. are still on the servers to download again if you originally bought them and need to download them again because you need access to content you paid for, but they're delisted and unavailable for anyone to purchase after the licenses expired. There's definitely delisted games out there that people can still download because they own them, you just can't buy them any more.

Then again poo poo's just weird with digital content. Fired up Destiny 2 and had to agree to some ridiculous new t&c to keep playing the game otherwise I'd be booted out even though I bought and paid for the thing and all the DLC. The laws and rights around all this stuff desperately needs an overhaul tbh. A company suddenly being able to take away a game you paid for unless you agree to never file a class action against them is nuts. It's that whole "You're not buying a game, but a license to play the game" poo poo that's caused all this trouble.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

WKRP in Cincinnati, a show about a rock radio station, is missing all its music in the DVD releases because when they licensed the songs, they didn’t include that kind of use. It’s a brutal travesty. Some games (less and less) have similarly short sighted contracts probably because they were cheaper and because the publishers didn’t expect the games to last. It’s a shame.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Microsoft delisted the original Forza Horizon almost exactly 4 years after release (they gave it away to Gold subscribers shortly before it happened) which I can only guess was due to music licenses that they didn't want to renegotiate for.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

quote:

Backwards compatible titles also see significant reductions in in-game load times from the massive leap in performance from our custom NVME SSD which powers the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

quote:

Techniques such as the Heutchy method, which enables titles to render with increased resolutions up to 4K, or applying anisotropic filtering to improve the final image quality bring these classic games up to modern standards, better than ever before.

quote:

As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game’s performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR.

quote:

We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

quote:

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program.

Welp

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*extremely Frank Costanza voice*

HEUTCHY MAMA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU