Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have been offered the lambo as a gift (not from my wife). Wife does not want more LEGO in the house. Do I accept the gift, or is it a trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have been offered the lambo as a gift (not from my wife). Wife does not want more LEGO in the house. Do I accept the gift, or is it a trap?

Have it delivered to my house. I’ll keep an eye on it for ya

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lambo is sick, but holy poo poo the price.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Lambo doesn’t really seem to innovate over the Chiron and Porsche models.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Sure it does.

It's a Lamborghini.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

Sure it does.

It's a Lamborghini.

I mean, have you SEEN tractor pricing lately?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Darth TNT posted:

I like it. Especially the horn and the angry guy at the wheel. I can see him flying across Lego city tooting his horn :argh: while yelling at the people to get out of the way or be skewered.

MAKE WAY FOR THE FUTURE, PEASANTS

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Lambo doesn’t really seem to innovate over the Chiron and Porsche models.

That's Technic for you. I started buying Technic sets because I love gears and springs and linkages and stuff. I stopped buying Technic because every set is the same. Sometimes you get the Chiron which adds one new interesting part. Most of the time it's just some mechanism that three other sets have already done.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

For 400 dollars I'll just buy a real Lamborghini.

Anyone have any experience with installing a light kit for Ninjago City? For the most part is it a hassle (or not) to remove chunks to do your work?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Regarding the wiring for these light kits- the wires don’t ever get run through where pieces connect, do they? Like between two connected plates? :magical:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Regarding the wiring for these light kits- the wires don’t ever get run through where pieces connect, do they? Like between two connected plates? :magical:

They do, they use ridiculously thin strands of wires so they can fit between bricks. They generally design the kit to minimize how much of it you have to do, but it ends up with some ugly super thin wires stashed somewhere that's normally out of sight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never been and still can't into the look of technic stuff. It looks fun to build but I can't get past the gaps and lack of glass.

No windows where there should be windows is more of a personal pet peeve though. It'll make me completely uninterested in a set lol.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni posted:

I've never been and still can't into the look of technic stuff. It looks fun to build but I can't get past the gaps and lack of glass.

No windows where there should be windows is more of a personal pet peeve though. It'll make me completely uninterested in a set lol.

Wouldn't be too difficult to make some clear plastic pieces that would fit the set, if it's super annoying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

They do, they use ridiculously thin strands of wires so they can fit between bricks. They generally design the kit to minimize how much of it you have to do, but it ends up with some ugly super thin wires stashed somewhere that's normally out of sight.

Yeah I wouldn't want the wires in a played-with set. But Ninjago City, given its color and prominence, is set sort of... on it's own display case top in my office. I figured lights would make it neat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is one set I’d ever gently caress around with lights on it’s Ninjago city.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

A Bad Poster posted:

Wouldn't be too difficult to make some clear plastic pieces that would fit the set, if it's super annoying.

You could easily cut pieces of clear thin vacuum-form plastic to fit, and they're flexible enough to just bend to the contour of the window. One small sheet, like a 12x12, would probably get you enough material for two or more cars' worth, too.

I don't know where to buy it online but it's like $2 apiece at our local surplus store when they have it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which one of you was this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Deny my price match now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dude only got a couple of small sets too.

Also, in case you’re unaware of the narrative, the reason this Target was hit was because the police are using tear gas. Protesters wanted to buy milk to counteract the burning effects of it, and Target were refusing to sell on the orders of the police.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Well, it does seem that the Lambo, unlike the Bugatti and the Porsche, actually has an open bottom side, so you can see the gearbox in action and also the engine is fully visible when you open the back cover of the car. I skipped the Bugatti, but I may be tempted to buy this one as it does seem nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, jorts are getting stylish. I should update my wardrobe.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The_Doctor posted:

Also, in case you’re unaware of the narrative, the reason this Target was hit was because the police are using tear gas. Protesters wanted to buy milk to counteract the burning effects of it, and Target were refusing to sell on the orders of the police.

Also, that specific Target has employed especially aggressive stop-loss profiling against its black clientele and works closely with the Minneapolis PD.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The_Doctor posted:

I'm curious what the "narrative" is for the AutoZone that got torched, or any of the other buildings they looted and burned...

Either way, I can't imagine I'd be out in that mess to try and grab a Lego set lol.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 29, 2020

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
in lighter news, there's house in my village that I go past on my running route a couple times a week that definitely has at least one AFOL living there who loves showing off their substantial collection. They have two good sized windows facing the main road/pavement where they always have lego prominently on display and it's invariably high end sets I've seen in this thread. In the past few months we've had some UCS droids, several of the large cars like the mini cooper, Wall-E, various buildings, I think maybe some nasa sets too, there's a lot to remember. We currently have the big Ideas tree house, with the dinosaur skeletons in support. They move them and change them out constantly too, so nothing is getting too much sun. I think the frequency of swap outs has increased in lockdown too

There's at least one very lucky kid living there too, if the drawings in the window are anything to go by :3

[everything RIGHT is in the window and constantly changing, they are definitely deliberately displaying to the public, I'm not some creeper who peers in windows]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ChesterJT posted:

I'm curious what the "narrative" is for the AutoZone that got torched, or any of the other buildings they looted and burned...

Do you mean the agent provocateur?

Anyway, not the thread for it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The_Doctor posted:

Anyway, not the thread for it.

Then why did you bring it up?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The_Doctor didn't bring it up.

You know, I'd imagined that the LEGO thread of all threads would be one where people can put the different pieces together.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Apollodorus posted:

You know, I'd imagined that the LEGO thread of all threads would be one where people can put the different pieces together.

:golfclap:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lego should finally do that modular police station, everyone here would love getting a big bunch of trans orange pieces.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

won't someone think of the businesses

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is the only thread I read on the forums that isn't near constant bickering. It's pretty nice. I think I've seen literally one slapfight in 6 years of reading it. Lego is the chillest hobby.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Lego is the chillest hobby.

:hmmyes:

Lego is my super chill zen time. It’s very relaxing to just put a new set together.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It is literally like a rock garden, down to making constant tiny adjustments to finished sets. Very therapeutic

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My wife and I had a great time building the Creator Pet Shop/Townhouse/Cafe over the last week, doing one bag per day after dinner and trading pages. Super relaxing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Having the stuff displayed or playing with it pales in comparison with the chill of the build. It’s downright medicinal.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY as a whole (and this thread in particular) is not an appropriate place for political discussion, please take it to one of the politics forums.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fatkraken posted:

in lighter news, there's house in my village that I go past on my running route a couple times a week that definitely has at least one AFOL living there who loves showing off their substantial collection. They have two good sized windows facing the main road/pavement where they always have lego prominently on display and it's invariably high end sets I've seen in this thread. In the past few months we've had some UCS droids, several of the large cars like the mini cooper, Wall-E, various buildings, I think maybe some nasa sets too, there's a lot to remember. We currently have the big Ideas tree house, with the dinosaur skeletons in support. They move them and change them out constantly too, so nothing is getting too much sun. I think the frequency of swap outs has increased in lockdown too

There's at least one very lucky kid living there too, if the drawings in the window are anything to go by :3

[everything RIGHT is in the window and constantly changing, they are definitely deliberately displaying to the public, I'm not some creeper who peers in windows]

Self quoting cos it got lost in Politics

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If I had more space (and disposable income) I could definitely understand having a lego backlog so I could dip into it when I'm feeling more stressed or suffering from anxiety. Thankfully it's less of an issue these days but I've really appreciated the methodical diversion in the past when I've been struggling to get my head together. It's like a comfort blanket.

I remember a couple years ago at Christmas I was back visiting my family at christmas then my grandad got taken seriously ill and was on death's door a couple of times. I spent most of the time in the hospital until he was pulling through and then bought myself Saturn V, went home and built it and those were the first few hours I could fully relax.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

With the Lamborghini being released, does that mean the Bugatti is likely to be discontinued this year?

I have been on the fence about picking up the Bugatti, but I like the colors a lot more than the Lambo. Building those LEGO drivetrains looks like it would totally be my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I used to build lego + watch topgear to relax whenever I was stressed out at work. Mostly switched to other hobbies, but now with covid I built a couple of sets from my backlog.