Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’ve found that the easiest way to start as Alarielle is to take and hold the gate, but then let Nagarythe be a lovely wasteland and immediately go conquer sapphery. You get a 4 settlement province with a unique building and zero chance of being attacked, all the other elves like you more for it, and you then get to work your way clearing out the donut of norscans and pirates. Then once you’ve gotten your doomstack of treekin and sisters and incendiary handmaidens you can go kick in Dark Elf teeth and complete the ritual at your leisure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I just got Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 and I wanted to start playing with an empire campaign but I don't have any of the Warhammer 1 races. I'm also finding downloading the free dlc a little confusing. Is there some setting I need to check or something for the Warhammer 1 races to show up?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I just got Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 and I wanted to start playing with an empire campaign but I don't have any of the Warhammer 1 races. I'm also finding downloading the free dlc a little confusing. Is there some setting I need to check or something for the Warhammer 1 races to show up?

I think it was instantaneous for me. You don't need War1 installed or anything. Are you picking Mortal Empires at campaign select? They don't show up in Vortex.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Neuronyx posted:

I'm hesitating to try gobbo greenskin playthroughs because... well there's got to be a nerf coming soon, right? I mean it sounds like they get flat out broken buffs.

op in multiplayer get nerfs

op in campaign does not unless you fight against it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

hostess with the Moltres posted:

This question gets asked at least once a month-- and no-one has a clear answer for it, because it's kinda janky. Usually I go to the store page for the free-LC, and then click the Download button, which will open up the game. Sometimes this flat-out doesn't work, and you need to try it again.

There are two big campaigns in Warhammer II: Eye of the Vortex, and Mortal Empires. ME is unlocked by owning game 1. Most of the game 1 factions are not playable in Vortex, only ME. Do you have access to it yet, or only Vortex?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Third World Reagan posted:

op in multiplayer get nerfs

op in campaign does not unless you fight against it

Oh I'm actually MORE concerned about playing as them because I like a challenge, and these upgrades sound like challenge destroyers.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It isn't really though. It lets your goblins punch way above their weight class, but that does eventually have an upper limit that you can't really get around. See: imrik dropping in on you with a stack of dragons, phoenixes and elite infantry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Neuronyx posted:

Oh I'm actually MORE concerned about playing as them because I like a challenge, and these upgrades sound like challenge destroyers.

Yeah I got bored of my orc campaign. Empire had been the most characterful, exciting campaign I've played. I had to launch E Day landings on Ulthuan because just as I killed Archaon the high elves lost Lothern (and lost everything by the time I'd made preparations for world war elf). I let the high elves come back and keep a few settlements but they clearly can't be trusted. Now I'm driving for Naggarond (with General Jovi Huss my first lord in the drivers seat, I love him so much he's the real hero) and the dark elves are really fighting but I've also got Markus and another stacks sneaking through the mountains.

It's been a loving epic campaign. I'll take Naggarond and then eradicate the pirates for a long campaign victory at this rate. Fighting the dark elves is legit scary because if they make it through the hellstorm fire they rip poo poo up. Had so many absolutely brilliant cliffhanger battles that have swung on a late cavalry charge or general Huss winging in to clip the enemy commander or crash the enemy's morale.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 29, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regarding MP, the chief items of concern I've seen mentioned are Mither(?) on the River Troll Hag, They Needs Stabbin on Goblin Big Bosses, and Fermented Fungi on Skarsnik. With honorable mention going to the Fanatic changes and Grimgor's You're Next(?) for being really dumb implementations.

-For Mither, the complaint is it's too strong for a faction that really didn't need a slow in the first place - it's basically the same power as Rune of Wrath & Ruin, except one's on a faction with precisely zero cavalry of any sort, and slow land speed in the first place, and the other... isn't.
-They Needs Stabbin because it plus the Goblin Big Boss on a wolf are insanely cheap, and any similar abilities are generally on MUCH more expensive chassi that move nowhere near the 90+ speed of wolves. You can basically run two of them and permanently cripple an enemy monster or hero for a relatively small cost.
-Fermented Fungi because Rampage is a lovely mechanic in the first place - there's a reason Lizardmen finally got reworked to manage it - and putting it on an easy press-and-click ranged skill plus having it last a huge chunk of time is really unpleasant.
-For the honorable mentions, Fanatics because they're now effectively a bound wind spell that you can aim in any direction within the radius, except it comes out with basically no warning, and You're Next because it's NOT being used to mark someone as "next" for Grimgor to beat down - because he's still a slow foot lord - so it's mostly being used to cripple that guy over there fighting an Arachnarok or whatever. The Fanatic one is by far the more serious one, as it's actually affecting things (people still don't normally take Grimgor).

Grom's campaign mechanics might be toned down too, because they ARE absurdly OP, but that's less of a concern since it's not relevant to MP.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Empire campaign is probably my favorite. It's easily my most played. With the rework there's just so much to take care of and now the vampire counts and orcs are genuine, expansive threats too. I had never had an elector get wiped off the map by the AI before, but in my current campaign I had to claw my way back from -5 authority. Made things pretty interesting for a while as I ran around restoring electors and giving their land back to them.

I do have one complaint though. I realize that CA blocked alliances with other provinces as part of the elector system, but it makes campaigning way more difficult. You can get military access, but that doesn't grant any replenishment. Either they can restore alliances as an option or they can make it so that military access grants replenishment within the Empire. It'd help smooth out the rough edges. Using your armies to help your electors shouldn't be punished with lengthy encamped periods or long walks back home.

I realize this problem sorts itself out as you confederate the other provinces, but sometimes you gotta go somewhere that's not quite there yet to take care of some awful poo poo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My main issue with the Empire campaign is how slow it is; you have an absolute slog of a battle with VC with all three lords with fights largely revolving on graveguard (which your base units struggle with) and fliers (which your base units don't struggle with but will shank your starting artillery at some point) and once you finally squash it for good you're kinda... done.

greenskins might beat the dwarves but you still have very well contained passes and you mostly wait for chaos to spawn while you finally tech up and confederate the dweebs, maybe fight one. also the empire itself is SO big

brettonia meanwhile is my favorite campaign, even if I like the empire army more. maybe thirty turns of condensing your lands, nothing too long or stretched out and then it's a sandbox of you picking someone to open up a can of crusade on until you get enough points.

that said, it's sale time so I finally bought tomb kings and

how the actual gently caress does arkhan even get the ball rolling here? the gimme bret expansion had two (half) stacks of yeoman spam by the time I walked up to them on turn seven and wiped me in battle. so many horses.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress you Grimgor and your 27 region greenskin empire. The dragon boys and I made sure you wouldn't cause trouble for anyone ever again.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Consider me a new Ikit convert. I hadn't yet played a Skaven game because they really didn't seem like my kind of thing, but I picked up the DLC today because of the reputation it has ITT.

The first time I ambushed another clan, with lines of Ratlings on either side of their column...my goodness. The slaughter.

I think Flight of the Valkyries was playing in my head.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

My Grom Vortex campaign was fun. The new Waaagh is really strong. Two Waaaghs cleared out all of the lizards, rats, and skeletons around me. I grabbed three provinces and set sail to meet some elves. The final battle wasn't that hard on turn 135. Eltharion's campaign was ok. Once I hit turn 50 I had nothing I wanted to do so I disbanded my other stack and got ready for the final battle. With my cash I recruited a full mistwalker army and fought Grom. The battle from that side was pretty hard. If it wasn't for my three moon dragons I would have lost. Pretty fun though.

But through both campaigns Aranessa was my best bud. In Grom's campaign we started NAPed and she was my only friend. Eltharion had to beat back a few armies but eventually she sued for peace. In both campaigns she followed my main armies to raid Khemri and Ulthuan, occasionally settling territories I razed, and generally causing havok that I could capitalize on.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Playing as Eltharion and on Turn 15 I get a notification "Broken Axe faction has been destroyed".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gamerofthegame posted:

how the actual gently caress does arkhan even get the ball rolling here? the gimme bret expansion had two (half) stacks of yeoman spam by the time I walked up to them on turn seven and wiped me in battle. so many horses.
I think I used ambush cheese to get rid of them but Arkhan's early game is loving brutal.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Has anyone done a coop tomb kings vortex campaign? Curious how the books work since for the other races you pool your resources but the requirements double I think. So maybe you need to get all 8 books between you? My friend picked up the game and TK so we'll be starting that once we finish our BGA2 nids campaign this weekend.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

bagrada posted:

Has anyone done a coop tomb kings vortex campaign? Curious how the books work since for the other races you pool your resources but the requirements double I think. So maybe you need to get all 8 books between you? My friend picked up the game and TK so we'll be starting that once we finish our BGA2 nids campaign this weekend.

There's no competition with the AI for the books, they just do their own thing. The books don't appear in the other race's campaign. The particular rogue armies that carry some of them don't appear in other campaigns either.

I have no idea how it works in coop campaigns.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Warbird posted:

Cool I'll check it out. thanks! Do either of those packs have necromancers in them? That seems like it would be a thing in this game.

Both Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings are undead factions. Tomb Kings are a bit closer to a classic necromancer; they're vaguely Egyptian mummies leading armies of skeletons and animated statues. Think Imhotep and you're not far off. They have a very unusual economy in that their troops are free but they have a strict limit on how many good troops they can have at a time. So you have these huge shoals of entirely disposable and replaceable skeletons, with chariots or giant sphinxes doing all the work. They're hunting the world for relics of an ancient civilization to... mumblemumble fill the bars so you can win.

Vampire Coast are vampire pirates. They're masses of gun-wielding zombies, backed up by giant undead sea monsters and ships' cannon. You start out trapping enemies in sprawling melees with shambling zombie deckhands while blasting everyone apart with explosives indiscriminately, and eventually upgrade to giant zombie crabs or giant zombie golems made of shipwrecks. Don't expect very much in the way of sea battles, though. They hunt treasure and wreck seaports and pile money in big piles.

There is a Hammer-horror faction with traditional necromancers and vampires-who-are-also-necromancers: Vampire Counts. However, Vampire Counts are a TWW1 faction, so they're a bit marginal in TWW2. For one, you can only play as them in the "Mortal Empires" game mode, and you can only unlock ME by owning TWW1. Counts have skeletons, zombies, vampires, ghouls, bats, ghosts, and various vampire-themed monsters. Honestly, most of their troops are kind of trash, but they're easily replaceable, and all of your heroes are unstoppable wrecking ball mages or melee combatants or both. Plus, since they can summon troops instantly from the wreckage of a big battle (even if it's not one you participated in!) they have a fun variety of random units. (Vampirates can also use this ability but for various reasons it's a bit more limited for them.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Warbird posted:

Cool I'll check it out. thanks! Do either of those packs have necromancers in them? That seems like it would be a thing in this game.

It's hard to beat the classic skeleton horde of vampire counts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUR-sg5jRBQ

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I haven't played Total Warhams 2 in a long time. What should I play and as who, if I want to get back into the swing of it? I do have the first game and most of its DLC. Not so much with 2 but I am willing to hear recommendations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Unlucky7 posted:

So I haven't played Total Warhams 2 in a long time. What should I play and as who, if I want to get back into the swing of it? I do have the first game and most of its DLC. Not so much with 2 but I am willing to hear recommendations.

SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
also holy poo poo this game is almost three years old and they are still making DLC for it?

edit: wait vampire pirate faction? I think I may get this.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 29, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They just put out the last one. Not that weird for a strategy game, tbh.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Unlucky7 posted:

If you don't feel like spending money, the Empire and the greenskins have both gotten extensive overhauls; also, like a year ago they optimised the hell out of Mortal Empires, and the turn times are negligible now. If you do, the Vampire Coast and the skaven Ikit Claw are both fun shooty factions; Tehenauin and Markus Wolfhart are both fun, difficult campaigns in the thunderdome; and Repanse de Lyon is a neat spin on Brettonia where you just start in crusade mode and never stop.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lol going from ME Imrik who has to loving claw his way out of his starting hellhole to the coast to be able to support more than like 2 moderate armies to dwarfs who can take like 3 provinces right away that give 3-5k income each

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Consider me a new Ikit convert. I hadn't yet played a Skaven game because they really didn't seem like my kind of thing, but I picked up the DLC today because of the reputation it has ITT.

The first time I ambushed another clan, with lines of Ratlings on either side of their column...my goodness. The slaughter.

It's impossible to watch the Prophet and the Warlock trailer and not want to play as Ikit Claw imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2eHPKjW9k

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So it sounds like the most essential DLC are the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast DLC, along with Prophet and the Warlock to make the Skaven complete, then. I will think on it a bit to see if I can swing it. Thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently there's a serious bug with weapon strength in the latest patch. Namely, it doesn't actually get applied at all. The unit card still shows it, but according to Reddit, it's not actually working.

This DLC is great, but there's some big bugs going on. Marauder Chieftains with the wrong skill tree, Ranald not giving bonus winds, the stance button being a pain the rear end... I feel like COVID has hosed CA's playtesting up.

Unlucky7 posted:

So it sounds like the most essential DLC are the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast DLC, along with Prophet and the Warlock to make the Skaven complete, then. I will think on it a bit to see if I can swing it. Thanks!

The best DLC for WH2 is WH1, if you don't already have it.

You've totally got the rest of it down, though.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 29, 2020

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Christ, and what about the magic dice roll at the start of battle? Isn't that still borked?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neuronyx posted:

Christ, and what about the magic dice roll at the start of battle? Isn't that still borked?

YES IT IS!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it is.

People were testing Grimgor with and without Gitsnik on a Supreme Sorceress (no mount, 10 armor). There was no difference in damage. So it's affecting both singleplayer and multiplayer.

I'm hoping CA knows about it and is working on a fix, but thus far they haven't said anything.

Also, they dropped the Black Orc Big Boss today and he looks awesome, but his skill tree is a carbon copy of the Wight King. No interesting, thematic buffs for troops like game 2 heroes (although he does have an aura that makes friendlies immune to psychology, which should be hugely beneficial).

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

man being able to cast 'ere we go, Soulblight, and the goblin aoe debuff really just lawnmowers through choke points. I just took out a tier 5 dwarf settlement defended by belegar and another stack no sweat by just always having those going. couldn't ascertain whether it was better to cycle them or stack them.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Unlucky7 posted:

Also if you do decide earlyish, there’s a sale on the dlc at the moment on steam mentioned up thread.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
The weapon strength bug is really bad, and especially bad for the Greenskins.

Those weapon strength bonuses you get with the Waagh ... ops no.

Also seems like the Black Orc Big Boss only shows in new campaigns. Which is a major downer for everyone who recently started a greenskins campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the big boss has no voice lines, which is a shame.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the big boss has no voice lines, which is a shame.

Well you get what you pay for with Keifer Sutherland.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

There's no competition with the AI for the books, they just do their own thing. The books don't appear in the other race's campaign. The particular rogue armies that carry some of them don't appear in other campaigns either.

I have no idea how it works in coop campaigns.

We paused our own just as it got decidedly wonky - my buddy came down with Settra and another stack to wipe out a half wood elf, half dino army that had been quietly hanging around in my (Repanse, but at that point I owned all of the western sahara, minus the dorfs) backyard. In the process I declared war on the stack too because we both clicked too fast.
It was sort of a near thing but ultimately his armies really didn't have enough anti-monster tech and we only wiped a couple units which OK. Cost him nothing but time, and his sphinx and we figured, if the poo poo doesn't respawn he can just keep grinding at it, monster by monster until it gets easy.

But now the stack is beelining towards my closest city...and they've also popped a second one ? WTH ? Just a lord for now, but I'm worried it's become a fully functional horde because my own armies are hella far away.

Gonkish posted:

So apparently there's a serious bug with weapon strength in the latest patch. Namely, it doesn't actually get applied at all. The unit card still shows it, but according to Reddit, it's not actually working.

Wait, what do you mean it doesn't get applied at all ? Do all units do the same damage now or something ?! Or is it just "anything that gives +X% WS is borked" ?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Skaven is easily one of the best and most well developed factions in this game at this point. They have a lot of tools, cool spells and fun gimmicks like the workshop and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
drat. I thought Cavalry Master would include Dragon Princes. I am a fool. Now I have to restart my Imrik Campaign because I will never use any of those units in his army. Ah well.