Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
It helps that Maple owns instead of sucks like most protags in trash VRMMO novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maple's aware that it is just a game and she's in it to have fun with her friends. compare that to chinese mmo webnovels, which are always about getting rich first and then maybe some e-peen bullshit after that's taken care of.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want more slice of life type stories about living in these video game worlds. properly explore how those kinds of systems being literal life for people would affect day to day living and how people who aren't demigods have to live in a world where there are literal, publicly visible numbers accurately advertising their precise lack of competence.

give me a cyberpunk anime but instead of scifi it's isekai

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ninjewtsu posted:

i want more slice of life type stories about living in these video game worlds. properly explore how those kinds of systems being literal life for people would affect day to day living and how people who aren't demigods have to live in a world where there are literal, publicly visible numbers accurately advertising their precise lack of competence.

give me a cyberpunk anime but instead of scifi it's isekai

Funny enough, off the top of my head the closest thing I can think of is I Was Kicked out of the Hero’s Party Because I Wasn’t a True Companion so I Decided to Have a Slow Life at the Frontier (LN / Manga).

The manga hasn't reached the parts of the story where it starts to really get into it, but the systems of the world is actually a very prominent plot point and has a bunch of implications for the story, for characters and their motivations, and for everything in between. In my opinion it is one of the most interesting takes on it out of all the series I've read because of the impact it has on the story, rather than something that exists because RPG numbers and skill lists are fun and easy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and also the mc's sister wants to gently caress him

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Brought To You By posted:

I haven't actually watched it, I'm just aware that yet another MMO player found a broken build and it wasn't repeated by any other player. If there's a reason that's slightly better I guess.

It doesn't come up in the anime, but in the LN there's a number of times it brings up people trying to copy her. The problem they come across though is Maple is just playing around and views all of the downsides she had as just part of the deal, while everyone else doesn't want to deal with it because they're being super serious and it actually really sucks taking four times longer to get anywhere.

On top of that, the devs made a couple changes that makes it impossible for anyone else to do exactly what Maple did. First was a change to enemy AI, where they'll no longer unendingly attack something, giving up and running away after some time. This was how Maple got her first incredibly busted skill which let her get everything else in a snowball effect. Said skill is now no longer available due to this change, which breaks the loop before it can even begin. They do let Maple keep hers, but they additionally give players tools to get around the formerly unbeatable skill as a second change.

Maple does come across a pair of twins with a similar mindset to hers, though instead of not taking damage they want to be really strong, and they wind up becoming friends and joining her guild.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 8, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't actually watched it, I'm just aware that yet another MMO player found a broken build and it wasn't repeated by any other player. If there's a reason that's slightly better I guess.

She got the broken build by behaving like a complete idiot in ways that were extremely difficult to replicate (in several cases, because she couldn't remember how she did it). That presented the dev team with some real dilemmas about how to nerf her without negatively impacting the rest of the playerbase's game experience.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The easiest way to read MMO manga is to know absolutely nothing about video games and just take everything at face value.

I highly recommend going back in time and only having a passing interest in mario bros and zelda as a five year old in the 80s.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The real fantasy world is one where the dev team doesn't set their game on fire because a player is doing something they don't like.

Guyver posted:

The easiest way to read MMO manga is to know absolutely nothing about video games and just take everything at face value.

I highly recommend going back in time and only having a passing interest in mario bros and zelda as a five year old in the 80s.

Maybe play one Dragon Quest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hypocrisy posted:

The real fantasy world is one where the dev team doesn't set their game on fire because a player is doing something they don't like.

Maple banned for using exploits.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and also the mc's sister wants to gently caress him

Frankly I'm more surprised when they don't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpazmasterX posted:

Frankly I'm more surprised when they don't.
there's that one that was linked in this thread at some point where the guy gets reincarnated and is living a normal life with his nice sister in a small village of mages, and then finds out that everyone in the village "traditionally" marries their siblings and has children with them, so he immediately noped the gently caress out of town forever and goes on an adventure instead

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The Sexual Revolution continues. Now with a manifesto and a different kind of bang and a reminder that it's always advantageous to have a god dwelling in your body.
This is all clearly a ruse by Dhala and I don't think no matter how things play out it will work well for the queen. The school nurse lost some villain stock though.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

The Sexual Revolution continues. Now with a manifesto and a different kind of bang and a reminder that it's always advantageous to have a god dwelling in your body.
This is all clearly a ruse by Dhala and I don't think no matter how things play out it will work well for the queen. The school nurse lost some villain stock though.

I finally broke down and started reading this and its weirdly good. People already said so earlier but I didn't believe them.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
It's a really well written and interesting series that is nigh impossible to recommend to others because the author REALLY wants everyone to know about his love for titty sucking.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

ugusername posted:

On a note of actually likable protagonists I really enjoy Dungeon Reset. It's based on a trope of "trash" skill being lowkey broken and MC being abused cause of it. Yet he doesn't go super edgy and continues to be a generally nice person that cares about people. For a while it was more about just comfortably surviving/becoming more powerful but now the main plot started picking up since he got access to means to get back to earth and he wants to find his friend first. Also physical humor is great.

I gotta give this one a shout-out just because of how extremely mad the rabbit gets, like every time the MC figures out a way out of a bad situation he starts wildly vibrating in rage.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
New Wolf Won't Sleep.

We get to see a maze.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zernach posted:

New Wolf Won't Sleep.

We get to see a maze.

Lecan really walked out of a dungeon crawler and into an MMO. The idea that he doesn't have to defeat a floor master to find the stairs was mind blowing to him.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Japanese Witcher is so good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

Japanese Witcher is so good

Indeed. Lecan is good adventure bro.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

on WolfSo with the people appearing and disappearing... did he isekei from his world into another world that is actually a vrmmo?

Lecan is a good chill bro and I like the concept so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new combatants will be dispatched already has me guffawing on panel two of the first page

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Has Let's Buy the Land And Cultivate in Different World been mentioned yet? It starts as your standard "boring dude gets summoned to another world but isn't very good at fighting" but then it goes batshit crazy in a way that's best described as "KonoSuba goes farming but (mostly) without the horny".

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

but (mostly) without the horny

With that cover?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Syritta posted:

With that cover?

I said mostly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Syritta posted:

With that cover?

Much like real life, the horny stops once she puts pants on.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Has Let's Buy the Land And Cultivate in Different World been mentioned yet? It starts as your standard "boring dude gets summoned to another world but isn't very good at fighting" but then it goes batshit crazy in a way that's best described as "KonoSuba goes farming but (mostly) without the horny".

This feels practically identical to 'Farming Life in Another World'. MC has mastery over tools (One tool in FLIAW, any tool in this one), has women literally throwing themselves at him to be his bride, rules over monsters, is friends with and also far more powerful than the monsters who are all legendarily strong, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they all have this bizarre idea that farming is easy, even before they get absurd cheats which make everything including farming trivially easy.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

This feels practically identical to 'Farming Life in Another World'. MC has mastery over tools (One tool in FLIAW, any tool in this one), has women literally throwing themselves at him to be his bride, rules over monsters, is friends with and also far more powerful than the monsters who are all legendarily strong, etc.

I have nothing better to do, so I ended up bingeing "Farming Life in Another World" even though it quickly got rather dull.

Similarities:

MC has cheat skill that helps them with farming/crafting
MC wins over powerful beings via cooking
MC has multiple women unilaterally decide that they are going to live with him
There is a war between humans and demons happening in the background
Dungeons are a kind of natural resource generator

Differences:

Buy Land (so far) is about a single farm; Farming Life quickly turned into a village (and now basically a kingdom)
Buy Land's MC has to get seeds for his crops; Farming Life's MC can get anything he can envision
Farming Life has a kind of gross "all the women are sleeping with the MC because they want babies" plot thread
Farming Life has such a huge cast that most characters don't have much depth. Including the MC and the original female leads
Farming Life doesn't really do anything with the ongoing war between humans and demons; Buy Land looks like it's about to get entangled in it
Farming Life's MC rarely gets to do anything that isn't till fields or make small crafts

At the moment, I prefer Buy Land to Farming Life. The characters are more interesting, and the smaller cast means it's easier to keep track of who's who. Plus I don't have to feel gross about all the women who think they need to offer themselves to the MC or want him to repopulate their race.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, the thing I'm enjoying about Buy the Land is that the protag's goofy farming misadventures have entirely by accident created an alliance of some of the most powerful creatures in the world and the latest chapter just pointed that out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter of the demon general has been fired

this page in particular is a really great "know your place" scene

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nemo2342 posted:

I have nothing better to do, so I ended up bingeing "Farming Life in Another World" even though it quickly got rather dull.

Similarities:

MC has cheat skill that helps them with farming/crafting
MC wins over powerful beings via cooking
MC has multiple women unilaterally decide that they are going to live with him
There is a war between humans and demons happening in the background
Dungeons are a kind of natural resource generator

Differences:

Buy Land (so far) is about a single farm; Farming Life quickly turned into a village (and now basically a kingdom)
Buy Land's MC has to get seeds for his crops; Farming Life's MC can get anything he can envision
Farming Life has a kind of gross "all the women are sleeping with the MC because they want babies" plot thread
Farming Life has such a huge cast that most characters don't have much depth. Including the MC and the original female leads
Farming Life doesn't really do anything with the ongoing war between humans and demons; Buy Land looks like it's about to get entangled in it
Farming Life's MC rarely gets to do anything that isn't till fields or make small crafts

At the moment, I prefer Buy Land to Farming Life. The characters are more interesting, and the smaller cast means it's easier to keep track of who's who. Plus I don't have to feel gross about all the women who think they need to offer themselves to the MC or want him to repopulate their race.

I half wonder if these premises are excuses for the authors to get into NSFW doujins of their own series.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ive been reading the wolf won't sleep web novel and i think one of my favorite aspects of Lecan is when he just nerds out about swords. and not like fancy smancy magic swords, but just well made utilitarian ones.

like its the most emotion he's shown at this point is just loving being in awe at this well crafted sword.

quote:

It's a huge sword.

Looks quite heavy.

A sword without any decoration.

But it's beautiful.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
A new one catched my eye: Omniscient Readers Viewpoint.
Basically MC was the only guy in the world who read probably somewhat typical edgy WN that came to life. It's fairly promising so I hope it won't devolve to him just abusing systems to become allpowerfull and would explore smart ways to navigate narratives.
Honestly MC probably posts here or something considering recent developments.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was the only person who read a particular wn all the way to the end, because said wn was unbelievably bad. it made me feel seen.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
GATE scratched an itch of mine and that is bizarre physical phenomenon.

I wish the story had started out intriguing instead of being itself.
Seems like someone loved Evangelion because it's a shadow being cast from a higher dimension.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

GATE scratched an itch of mine and that is bizarre physical phenomenon.

I wish the story had started out intriguing instead of being itself.
Seems like someone loved Evangelion because it's a shadow being cast from a higher dimension.

Oh hey, there's a GATE manga? I really enjoyed the anime. I know a lot of people are angry about soldiers or whatever, but I think if you divorce it from its jingoistic purposes it's quite fun.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Can you even call yourself an otaku in Japan (what the author self-professes to be IIRC) if you haven't watched it?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh hey, there's a GATE manga? I really enjoyed the anime. I know a lot of people are angry about soldiers or whatever, but I think if you divorce it from its jingoistic purposes it's quite fun.

The manga is the only version I recommend because the artist is a military Otaku with a 90s-esque style so he brings a lot of charm and detail to an otherwise average story.

RangerKarl posted:

Can you even call yourself an otaku in Japan (what the author self-professes to be IIRC) if you haven't watched it?
Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I know this is probably old news, but I saw a physical copy of everybody's favorite shield-based isekai for sale at Walmart. No idea it had that kind of mainstream appeal.