Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jre posted:

Waits anxiously for the new celtic strip design :ohdear:

It's gonna be vertical loops lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

jre posted:

Waits anxiously for the new celtic strip design :ohdear:

Gonna be 8 3/4 stripes on it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Gonna be 8 3/4 stripes on it.

Big Jock knew

e: misread

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s a series of asterisks that resemble a hoop

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Harry's been on the pies it seems

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

c0burn posted:

Harry's been on the pies it seems

Mark Viduka would be proud

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

How do footballers so frequently appear to put on weight like mad? Is it because of the usual high energy, high calorie usage of their lives suddenly shutting themselves as soon as they don’t run about every day?

e: or are they just thick as pig poo poo and eat a dozen pies a day?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

How do footballers so frequently appear to put on weight like mad? Is it because of the usual high energy, high calorie usage of their lives suddenly shutting themselves as soon as they don’t run about every day?

It’s both, op

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sandwolf posted:

Before the COVID exclusion began, I was at the gym 4 days a week working out hard. That also required a bunch of eating, and when I couldn't go to the gym anymore, even though I tried to compensate by eating less, I still put on a weight without even noticing it.

I imagine it's even worse for pro footballers who burn a lot more calories in their normal footballer lifestyles than I do.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Going from burning thousands of extra calories doing athletics and having professional nutritionists prepare food for you at the club to suddenly lounging around your house all day preparing your own food when you never learned to cook because you've been a millionaire since age 17 means people like Kane (or Rooney) who don't have freakishly fast metabolisms put on weight practically overnight.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Going from burning thousands of extra calories doing athletics and having professional nutritionists prepare food for you at the club to suddenly lounging around your house all day preparing your own food when you never learned to cook because you've been a millionaire since age 17 means people like Kane (or Rooney) who don't have freakishly fast metabolisms put on weight practically overnight.

nice post / av / av text combo

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Definitely buying this shirt. It will look like poo poo on TV but up close I reckon it's decent. And it's weird, which is nice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I can't imagine footballers cook for themselves even in these times. Would be surprised if clubs weren't shipping them pre-cooked meals every day.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I saw a video a long time ago of Jan Vertonghen going down to a store, buying a bunch of sand which poo poo, then being real proud of some sub he made.

https://youtu.be/uV93COxR4mA

"Perfect."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I can't imagine footballers cook for themselves even in these times. Would be surprised if clubs weren't shipping them pre-cooked meals every day.

This may be true but footballers are also incredibly dumb so I wouldn't trust them to eat properly when not under constant supervision at the actual club facilities. They may not be prepping their own food at home but they're probably just as likely to eat a delivery pizza as food the club sends them.

trem_two posted:

nice post / av / av text combo

:hmmyes:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Vinestalk posted:

I saw a video a long time ago of Jan Vertonghen going down to a store, buying a bunch of sand which poo poo, then being real proud of some sub he made.

https://youtu.be/uV93COxR4mA

"Perfect."

What do the Dutch make? I've never heard of a Dutch restaurant. Then again I just eat rice and beans until I can't breathe every day so...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dutch cuisine is mostly mystery meat in a weird sauce

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
didn't shelvey get mocked on twitter when he advertised for a personal chef? was even going to pay them £60k a year which is probably more than 99% of chefs earn

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Jose posted:

didn't shelvey get mocked on twitter when he advertised for a personal chef? was even going to pay them £60k a year which is probably more than 99% of chefs earn

Big Ron got a personal chef when he was only 20 or something.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If I could afford a personal chef I 100% would,

Even someone to organise, make and buy a meal plan for the week for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

I made fun of him for it because it was part of his months-long commitment to being a serious professional and try to secure an England callup but he was back on the pies and midweek pints by October.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Weaponized Cum posted:

What do the Dutch make? I've never heard of a Dutch restaurant. Then again I just eat rice and beans until I can't breathe every day so...

Shitloads of carbs and fried things, bitterballen, fries, kroketten, frikandel (kind of like a mincemeat hotdog), they have vending machines in front of shops that keep all these things heated and ready to go

They can eat all this poo poo because they're always cycling everywhere and are the tallest people in the world so have high metabolisms and base calorie requirements

The weed probably helps too

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Could Shelvey be as good as Xavi if he didn't live in an atrocious country like England? An investigation

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brass Hand posted:

Wayne Rooney ate curries and smoked. Ronaldo is still going like a loving Terminator while Rooney is ... well, not.

Let people mock and laugh, when your entire livelihood is based on your ability to be in peak physical condition and you will earn millions for doing that, it makes perfect sense to give yourself every possible advantage.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Wayne Rooney ate curries and smoked. Ronaldo is still going like a loving Terminator while Rooney is ... well, not.

Let people mock and laugh, when your entire livelihood is based on your ability to be in peak physical condition and you will earn millions for doing that, it makes perfect sense to give yourself every possible advantage.
ronaldo is a genetic freak, rooney could have lived like a monk for 32 years and he’d still be mostly done

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

James Milner is probably a better comparison tbh.

Doesnt drink and probably eats everything boiled or grilled.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Loves a Ribena though

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

c0burn posted:

Loves a Ribena though

Only after a big title win.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

ronaldo is a genetic freak, rooney could have lived like a monk for 32 years and he’d still be mostly done

Rooney was playing a shitload of games from 16 while Ronaldo came on a bit later, but I agree it’s mostly due to how serious Ronaldo is as a professional. Rooney reminds me of Owen, using up all his battery early after bursting through as a kid

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brass Hand posted:

I wonder if he called him the same names as he did Desailly

jesus WEP posted:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Rooney was playing a shitload of games from 16 while Ronaldo came on a bit later, but I agree it’s mostly due to how serious Ronaldo is as a professional. Rooney reminds me of Owen, using up all his battery early after bursting through as a kid

Yeah you'd be surprised how much not recovering properly curtails your ability when it compounds the way it does for professional athletes over a 20 or so year period. Every time Rooney let himself slip back into bad habits, every piss up, every lovely food, every early return from injury, didn't just add up it multiplied. No one can endure that sort of on field exertion and poor after care and be in peak condition well approaching 40, genetics schmenetics. Ronaldo has been a professional first team player for pretty much as long as Rooney has, he was starting for Sporting when we signed him. Good recovery, the right food, being willing to rest rather than burn the midnight oil, make for a pretty robust human.

Owen's problem was a complete lack of proper warm up/down and recovery, and rushing back from injuries. You can't keep loving over your hamstrings, rely on pace, and expect a fruitful career. He's a loving knob head, but it's a shame his talent died so quickly. Even in his time at United you could see the instinct and eye for goal but he just didn't have the quickness to take advantage of it any more nor could he adapt his game to compensate.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weaponized Cum posted:

Jan Vertonghen is not Dutch op. Mods???

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

Jan Vertonghen is not Dutch op. Mods???

:ironicat:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's not football but...

https://twitter.com/chrispolanco/status/1266580722103574529?s=19

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
excellent tekkers, but there's no way that dude didn't fracture a metatarsal kicking a grenade into orbit

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Needs a soundtrack

https://i.imgur.com/MNKTx4l.mp4

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s going to loving hurt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1266684158039990272?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

literally just came into this thread to post this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Not that it isn’t cool as hell but that’s from months ago in Lebanon right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saudis??