Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Once again, if you all just bought Fine Italian Motorcycles this wouldn't be a problem because you would already have a trickle charger, jump starter, and possibly a spare battery just laying around, and plenty of practice in using them all.

Thanks for reminding me of my poor financial decisions and the money I wasted on my Monster 1200 and "assorted bits" (163 of them apparently) that I don't have anymore

Deketh fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Spangly A posted:

What's actually being argued is whether harassment and online stalking is fine and that trans people should be forced to defend their existence to bigots in a space they use, where they are open about their identities. This is loving dangerous poo poo.

I always feel that stating "what's being argued" is a bit dangerous. That's not what I'm arguing and, in my mind at least, "cancel culture" has moved far beyond no-platforming to people genuinely arguing that even individual debate is harmful and that the left (well, liberals, more usually) should just put up a brick wall of flat-out denial until the problem goes away (it won't). Given that conflating of two things, it's quite dangerous to assume that you're discussing at one extreme of that or the other. You and I are clearly having two different discussions using very similar terminology and the dangers in that should be highlighted.

I'm not arguing that safe spaces shouldn't exist, far from it. A lot of folks will hear the argument for safe spaces though and understand that applies to individual praxis too. That is also some loving dangerous poo poo because nothing turns an angry youth into fash more quickly than that brick wall.

Hounding pissflaps out of the forums was a Good Thing imo. Just for the record.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
The letting agent for the house I rent a room in has started sending a cleaner round again but they didn't loving bother to give us a date or time so we could social distance, and she hasn't been given a mask or anything

Is there anything I can do? This isn't safe for any of us but least of all her, for gently caress's sake :/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266335781775380480

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it an HMO property?

If so I think your options are limited as the landlord has right of access to common areas.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bionic vapour boy posted:

The letting agent for the house I rent a room in has started sending a cleaner round again but they didn't loving bother to give us a date or time so we could social distance, and she hasn't been given a mask or anything

Is there anything I can do? This isn't safe for any of us but least of all her, for gently caress's sake :/

If you get agreement for the people in the shared property (HMO?) then you probably can negotiate as a group to lay out some terms about how it is done in future. Speaking to the cleaner about it as well would be a good idea.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
turns out letting a deadly virus run loose through your country might turn you into a pariah state, who knew?

Sweden left out of Nordic border reopenings posted:

A Nordic rift has opened up over plans to ease coronavirus restrictions, with Sweden excluded from plans by Denmark and Norway to reopen their borders to tourists from some countries next month.

During news conferences taking place simultaneously on Friday, the Danish prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, and the Norwegian prime minister, Erna Solberg, said most restrictions would end on 15 June.

The leaders said they would allow tourists to travel between the two countries, and Denmark will also welcome tourists from Germany and Iceland. But tourists from Sweden will still not be able to visit, with Frederiksen telling journalists that the two countries were in different places when it came to the coronavirus.

On Friday Sweden’s public health authority reported a further 84 deaths from Covid-19. The country’s total death toll from the outbreak now stands at 4,350, about four times the combined total of the other Nordic countries. Sweden has chosen not to impose the kinds of compulsory lockdown measures imposed by its neighbours and elsewhere across Europe, instead opting for public health advice.

Earlier this week, Sweden’s foreign minister, Ann Linde, warned that excluding Sweden from moves to open borders across the Nordic region would be a political decision and not justifiable on health grounds. (:qq:) On Thursday, Norway said it would reopen its borders to business travel from all its Nordic neighbours.

personally I'm looking forward to the whinging from the Boris supporting papers when it turns out that nobody in Europe wants a bunch of virus riddled Brits on their beaches this summer

or are they still pretending they're going to do an "air bridge" lo l

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Tory candidate for London Mayor Shaun Bailey today tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK/status/1266321093868036105

He is pretending that the Tory Government did not force Sadiq Khan to accept those conditions as part of the recent £1.6bn Transport for London bailout, which was reported 2 weeks ago.

The nature of the reporting varied. The Standard led with the fact that the Tories insisted on these conditions:

Khan forced to hike congestion charge after TfL bail-out

But the Metro didn't mention it at all. The Sun avoided it as well, but went further by packing its article with quotes from Tory politicians and gammons, including... Shaun Bailey:

The Sun posted:

Tory candidate Shaun Bailey added: "TfL’s bailout was only necessary because of the financial negligence shown by Sadiq Khan. To try to deflect responsibility for his policy failures isn’t just a failure of leadership, it is a lie.

"The Mayor is lying when he says the Government has forced this u-turn. He had planned a fares increase as early as last year.

"Most Londoners are now grateful that the terms of Sadiq Khan’s humiliating bailout should now limit the damage he is able to inflict on our transport network for the duration of his term in office.”

That last sentence is the Tory mayoral candidate for London blatantly laying out the strategy and claiming Londoners are going to love it because they too lust for the destruction of Khan.

Transport for London published a letter proving that the Government insisted on the measures they are now blaming on Khan. It is from Transport Secretary Grant Shapps to Sadiq Khan, and is appended to this agenda PDF:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20200602-agenda-and-papers-supplentary.pdf

The letter starts on page 33. The conditions begin on page 35, point 12. I'm going to quote them here, in my own order. HGM = Her Majesty's Government. Dft = Department for Transport. HMT = Her Majesty's Treasury. LEZ = Low Emission Zone. ULEZ = Ultra Low Emission Zone.

First we have the conditions everyone hates most:

quote:

12.e. Bringing forward to the London COVID Transport Task Force travel demand management proposals as soon as practicable to optimise the use of the available safe transport capacity, including but not limited to temporary suspension of free travel for Freedom Pass and 60 plus card holders during peak and the suspension of free travel for u18s, subject to discussions in the working group about how it is to be operationalised

12.h. The immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges, in accordance with the relevant legal powers and decision-making processes.

Second, the expenditure maximising conditions:

quote:

12.a. Maximising service levels on all networks to full normal service, apart from Night Tube, weekend night buses and any other services agreed by the London Covid Transport Task Force as soon as possible but within four weeks;

12.d. Pushing forward an ambitious Active Travel Plan to promote cycling and walking, including new segregated cycle lanes, closures of roads to through traffic, and pavement extensions, utilising at least the £55m allocated in the Support Period. The detail of the plan will be agreed and overseen by a dedicated oversight group comprising TfL and HMG;

13. Alongside the operational matters set out above, TfL will seek to maximise the construction activity within TfL’s remit, where it is safe to do so, consistent with the Emergency Budget assumptions.

28. Crossrail remains a vital project for both London and the UK. TfL will continue to ensure that its key subsidiaries responsible for bringing Crossrail into operation, such as Rail for London and London Underground, are fully resourced and pragmatic in their requirements of Crossrail Limited to ensure the delivery of all stages of Crossrail is achieved as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

But on the other hand:

quote:

17. In managing its business during the Support Period, TfL will take all reasonable steps to minimise the Extraordinary Support Grant in line with this agreement, including maximising its revenue and minimising expenditure.

The Extraordinary Support Grant total will vary depending on how this goes:

quote:

6. These amounts are based on a forecast funding shortfall of £1.6bn for the Support Period. It is recognised that there is a high level of uncertainty in predicting the future revenue and costs for the organisation for the Support Period, in particular as HMG guidance on dealing with the situation develops. To the extent that the actual funding shortfall is greater or lesser than £1.6bn then the amount of Extraordinary Grant and TfL borrowing will increase pro rata, up to a maximum of £1.9bn in aggregate or reduce pro rata accordingly

But this is also a takeover of TFL by the Government:

quote:

22. Two HMG appointed Special Representatives will attend all TfL Board meetings, being able to raise questions at the Board, request additional information as reasonably required and report back to the Secretary of State on these matters.

23. One Special Representative will also be able to attend all meetings, formal and informal, of the Finance Committee and the Programmes and Investment Committee.

24. There will be an immediate and broad ranging government-led review of TfL's future financial position and future financial structure. This will include:
a. Options for revenue maximisation, including fares policy and revenue yield choices over time will be explored;
b. The opportunities to deliver further efficiencies in the short and medium term in relation to operating costs;
c. The approach to capital spending, both in terms of asset maintenance and enhancement;
d. The balance sheet and financing structure, including financing policy, of TfL;
e. The current fiscal devolution arrangements; and
f. The potential for raising more non-fare based revenue and commercial income.

12.b. Employing traffic demand management agreed by the London COVID Transport Task Force;

12.c. Agreeing communication messages between DfT and TfL to ensure consistent advice is provided to travellers;

12.g. Providing regular reporting to the London COVID Transport Task Force on the absence rates for its staff and take all practicable steps to manage absence levels to support delivery of services;

14. Detailed monitoring of the operational performance of the London transport system will be provided to DfT, HMT and the London Covid Transport Task Force during the Support Period to assist in the effective management of the broader transport networks and to inform broader operational decisions, public messaging and similar matters. The nature of such reporting will be agreed by the London Covid Transport Task Force.

15. The London Covid Transport Task Force will remain in place for the duration of the Support Period unless agreed otherwise by DfT and TfL.

18. Transport for London will provide to DfT weekly and Periodic management accounts, in a form consistent with the Emergency Budget, showing the financial performance of the business compared to theEmergency Budget and updated financial projections for the remainder of the financial year. DfT and HMT may request further information or explanation as reasonably necessary to manage its financial position.

19. DfT will appoint an external adviser to support them in this oversight. TfL will provide reasonable access and support to the adviser to enable them to support DfT and HMT in its monitoring of the situation and related matters. This will include, as a minimum, a commentary from the adviser to DfT on each Period’s financial information, which shall also be made available to TfL.

20. TfL will support continued and ongoing collaborative discussions with DfT on projected passenger numbers, revenues and non-operational expenditure.

21. TfL will continue to engage with and document discussions with their lenders and ratings agencies to demonstrate a clear understanding of the impacts of loan covenants and keep DfT informed of these discussions on a timely basis.

And finally, WTF is this Orwellian bullshit?

quote:

27. The Government has asked the Mayor to confirm he will increase fares by RPI plus 1% on all modes from Jan 2021 as proposed in the TfL business plan. The Mayor will take this decision on advice of TfL based on forecasts and other relevant factors. The Mayor has agreed with the Government that his intention is to adhere to the fares increases sought by Government and proposed in the TfL business plan.

31. TfL will consider and, acting reasonably, agree specific proposals made by Crossrail Limited in relation to the retention of critical resources on the project where it is value for money to do so, during the Safe Stop and the subsequent recovery.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

namesake posted:

If you get agreement for the people in the shared property (HMO?) then you probably can negotiate as a group to lay out some terms about how it is done in future. Speaking to the cleaner about it as well would be a good idea.

Yeah I'll have a word with the others I think. It's an HMO but I get on pretty okay with them all so that's definitely doable.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I said to a family member this morning "People are just going to see the new rule that it's ok for six people to congregate and completely miss/ignore the whole whilst maintaining social distance and preferably wearing a mask".

I just went for a bike ride* and welp! Quarantine is over! Ice cream trucks plying their trade, people standing around in groups a foot apart chatting away entirely unmasked. All over the loving place. The same people who are going to be astonished corona comes roaring back.

For fucks sake, I despair sometimes.

*Fully masked, gloved up, and steering the gently caress away from any other person.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Deptfordx posted:

I said to a family member this morning "People are just going to see the new rule that it's ok for six people to congregate and completely miss/ignore the whole whilst maintaining social distance and preferably wearing a mask".

I just went for a bike ride* and welp! Quarantine is over! Ice cream trucks plying their trade, people standing around in groups a foot apart chatting away entirely unmasked. All over the loving place. The same people who are going to be astonished corona comes roaring back.

For fucks sake, I despair sometimes.

*Fully masked, gloved up, and steering the gently caress away from any other person.

it's been getting like this for a couple of weeks round here, but the hot weather, this stupid guidance and cumgate definitely aren't helping

we are so hosed

Coronavirus: half of those with symptoms not isolating, says Sage

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah the government gave up before ever really trying. even producing masks within 3 months was entirely too much for them.

i think they're just gonna try to keep things normal-ish while loads more people die than normal
the media will ask some extremely epic questions and get some extremely pathetic lies. these videos will get some real good views

our death rate being higher than everyone elses will become a partisan issue and the vast majority of people wont even know its worse cause the papers they read won't mention it as anything but inevitable

there will be an economic depression anyway so we'll need to tighten our belts to deal with the heroic and profligate government spending to keep us safe from the chinavirus

etc etc

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Communist Thoughts posted:

the media will ask some extremely epic questions and get some extremely pathetic lies.

It won't even be lies, it'll just be Gove wishing us well as Burley asks where the masks are, why the care homes are full of corpses, why the app has disappeared and why track and trace has failed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

XMNN posted:

it's been getting like this for a couple of weeks round here, but the hot weather, this stupid guidance and cumgate definitely aren't helping

we are so hosed

Coronavirus: half of those with symptoms not isolating, says Sage

Why should they, it’s apparently reasonable and legal to both drive 260 miles, drive to a local tourist hotspot and drive to hospital while showing covid symptoms, so...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deketh posted:

Thanks for reminding me of my poor financial decisions and the money I wasted on my Monster 1200 and "assorted bits" (163 of them apparently) that I don't have anymore

The poor decision is the second half of that sentence, right?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Drone_Fragger posted:

Why should they, it’s apparently reasonable and legal to both drive 260 miles, drive to a local tourist hotspot and drive to hospital while showing covid symptoms, so...

this was actually before then so God knows how much worse it's going to get now

quote:

In an April report to the government’s Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage), behavioural science experts said “rapid” research was needed on how best to get people to comply with self-isolation advice given that “only around 50%” took the precaution when they developed a cough or fever, according to Department of Health tracking in England.

seems like an entirely predictable side effect of abandoning testing and tracing, I feel like the number of people who would self isolate with a positive test result would be a lot higher

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcferguswalsh/status/1266376699299549192?s=21

SAGE isn't at open rebellion yet, but they're getting there.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they should honestly just resign, I think that's why I'm so annoyed at whitty et al they are allowing their scientific/medical credentials to be used as camouflage for politically motivated actions that they must know will probably kill tens of thousands of people

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Sunak has announced the changes to furlough. He says he is going to help us all go back to work. Ignore that your work may be closed right now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcferguswalsh/status/1266376699299549192?s=21

SAGE isn't at open rebellion yet, but they're getting there.

didnt they let all this happen anyway? arent they the ones who went along with the herd immunity strategy at first?

gently caress them, this has been a multi-spectrum failure of the whole establishment

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Skilbs posted:

Sunak has announced the changes to furlough. He says he is going to help us all go back to work. Ignore that your work may be closed right now.

As we know from UC 'help back to work' = cut off all means of financial support

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Disnesquick posted:

I've got a twenty-year-old relative who often visits my family, who does indeed come out with this crap. The issue isn't with any of this though, it's that he's got not job and no girlfriend and wants both, and that the far-right poison machine keeps feeding him explanations as to why this is the fault of trans folk and Muslims.

After going back to square one a number of times, progress is being made and introspection has replaced dogma. He's realised that big far-right screeds have completely wrecked the two dating situations he was in in the last couple of days.

So no. Refusing to engage would have lost a fundamentally good kid to the fash.

Engaging with somebody one on one in a non-public arena is a very good, valuable and effective way to make a difference.

It is also not "debate".

Debates have a very important thing - an audience. You're not trying to convince your opponent in a debate, you're trying to convince an audience. Sadly, liars, bullshitters and shills find it much easier to win over an audience than somebody who is arguing in bad faith. It can take 5 seconds to make a bullshit claim about something and 10 minutes to refute that same claim. It's an asymmetric battlefield where those with no shame have the upper hand by miles.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 29, 2020

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Communist Thoughts posted:

didnt they let all this happen anyway? arent they the ones who went along with the herd immunity strategy at first?

gently caress them, this has been a multi-spectrum failure of the whole establishment

Nah, it was that cummies was both allowed to interfere with SAGE and their advice was relayed to johnson via the eugenics egg

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The poor decision is the second half of that sentence, right?

I mean, yeah. But only when it's summer!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mebh posted:

:stare: yikes those search results.

CGI Stardust posted:

what does this mean in this context? the search results are, uh, spectacularly unhelpful

oh no

OH NO

I was just trying to come up with a very British insult like calling people "weapons" or "ornaments" or "baking sheets" and boy howdy did I make an error :negative:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

oh no

OH NO

I was just trying to come up with a very British insult like calling people "weapons" or "ornaments" or "baking sheets" and boy howdy did I make an error :negative:

I'm shocked you weren't already aware tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1266356645220831236?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skilbs posted:

Employers will need to cover NI and pensions from August, 10% of pay from September and 20% from October.

And then from November... gently caress knows.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
wtf is "transgenderism"?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Q. If there’s a second spike and reimposing of lockdown measures, will you switch the furlough scheme back or would it just be over?

Sunak says the scheme will end in October.
~WHATEVER IT TAKES~

also now the national medical director for NHS England seems to be avoiding answering difficult questions, not just politicians

quote:

Q. If the alert level hasn’t gone down [from 4 to 3], why are we loosening things up?

Powis says the Joint Biosecurity Centre is feeding information into the four chief medical officers across the four nations.

The NHS needs to be able to respond to any surge of infection in the community, so it’s important to link in to the centre and adapt what we’re doing, he adds.

e: although tbf to sunak that question is based on a flawed premise, I can't see them bothering to lock down again

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 29, 2020

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

My girlfriend got made redundant yesterday, to no surprise (she's a make up artist) - just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat with updating UC details? I'm claiming UC, and she had to make an account as we live together despite working - she's updated it to say she's made redundant but will that be enough for them to kick into gear and pay her that whopping £400 a month, or will she have to make a fresh claim?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Miftan posted:

I'm shocked you weren't already aware tbh

I know, I have failed the thread and all horny perverts :(

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

XMNN posted:

they should honestly just resign, I think that's why I'm so annoyed at whitty et al they are allowing their scientific/medical credentials to be used as camouflage for politically motivated actions that they must know will probably kill tens of thousands of people

those two are just psychotic monsters like the rest of the tories. the one who looks like a corpse eating ghoul has had no compunction about outright lying about matters of public health and does so at every briefing he's in

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1266399375347068929?s=19

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Goldskull posted:

My girlfriend got made redundant yesterday, to no surprise (she's a make up artist) - just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat with updating UC details? I'm claiming UC, and she had to make an account as we live together despite working - she's updated it to say she's made redundant but will that be enough for them to kick into gear and pay her that whopping £400 a month, or will she have to make a fresh claim?

I get zilch from UC because I live with my furloughed partner, and when I called up one of the self employment support orgs here to ask for info the lady on the phone told me i shouldn't given UC that information.

I mean I didn't want to commit welfare fraud and get deported but from what I can tell many people just do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ash Crimson posted:

wtf is "transgenderism"?
It's the secret plot to turn the fish and frogs gay.

lmao

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jk's Normal One continues

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1266399767246110720

she's just reading about opinions about transgenderism, how dare you criticise her. also one of her tweets contains the phrase "Maya Forstater, who believes that humans are a dimorphic species" so uh, yeah, good job hiding how deep into the terf well you are there, joanne

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

yeah JK and the UK in general are extremely loving terfy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
is there something cursed about being a scottish woman named Joan. Joanna Cherry, Joan McAlpine and Joanne Rowling... i'm just asking questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

UK is a great place to be a TERF, especially if you're wealthy and/or famous. Lots of lovely ironclad libel laws to hide behind while you just ask questions