Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If they do actually end up running games from all gens at max clock for no reason, you might want to keep your X1X purely for BC so you don't wear down the new unit :downs: completely defeating the purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ruffian Price posted:

If they do actually end up running games from all gens at max clock for no reason, you might want to keep your X1X purely for BC so you don't wear down the new unit :downs: completely defeating the purpose

"How'd your X1SX die?"

"I played too much of my 360 version of Meet the Robinsons on it."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

Backward compatibility is a great consumer-friendly feature and I'm glad both new systems have it.

Not my point.

If you already got 1x you got hd, smooth running bc and all the xbox games are still coming to it.

If you dont have 1x, sx offers no meaningful upgrade - you didnt care about the old games looking really good why would u care about them looking really really good ?

Its great and correct to have bc. Its dumb as gently caress to market another console this way when it already failed to make a dent. They simply have to make new good blockbuster games again

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

They simply have to make new good blockbuster games again

July's Xbox event is supposedly going to be the big games blow-out. I'm doubtful that this Fall is going to have a ton of impressive releases from anybody, but Microsoft has 15ish studios working on stuff. Hopefully those projects will be in a state where they can be shown off.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Series X has already been tested by DF who had the thing running non-stop for 24 hours and say it remained completely silent the entire time. I wouldn't be concerned about the console wearing itself out, especially when Microsoft actually knows what they're doing when it comes to cooling solutions. That's likely the exact reason why they're not downclocking, is because they knew they were going for the most power out the gate and designed hardware that can accommodate everything at full load while remaining silent and sufficiently cooled. The real shock would be if they actually did downclock anything.

The faux concern should instead be directed at if they accounted for power cuts :eng101:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I think it's fine to be concerned or confused about that design decision, and I'd be interested in hearing the philosophy behind that difference in approach. But it's also the kind of thing that probably doesn't affect anything for consumers other than power usage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

We've seen the future and its trash. Economics of gamepass wont support high quality games from most of those purchased studios if they even have the talent to make them (looking at you undead labs)

Im hopeful for halo to impress me against my better judgement but i dont expect a gears game to ever be good. Hellblade 2 just started production late last year so its not coming soon. Vaporware like the initiative's game or some fable reboot arent going to be shown.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Couldn't care less about Halo but the Forza and Gears series continually deliver solid and fun games and I'm looking forward to that tactical XCOM-style Gears game whenever it hits the Xbox because apparently it owns.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think Microsoft is hanging onto Undead Labs specifically because they're still very interested in seeing them do that zombie MMO the studio was founded to create. Assuming zombie stuff will still be in vogue when that ever arrives.

quote:

November 23, 2009 – Seattle, Washington – When flesh-eating, shambling undead corpses invade Seattle, Undead Labs will probably be the ones responsible. Video game industry veteran Jeff Strain today announced the formation of Undead Labs, a Seattle, Washington-based game development studio that’s on a mission to take online gaming in bold new directions. Undead Labs’ sole focus will be to create the definitive massively multiplayer online zombie game (MMOZ) for console gamers.

Forza Horizon 5 will probably be shown, as that would follow the 2012-2014-2016-2018 release pattern of the previous games, maybe pushed to 2021.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have gears tactics on pc i thought it was great at first through the pretty cool act 1 boss but i got bored fast. The movement distance is pitifully too short for the huge maps and the mechanics make the game way too overwatch dependent for my tastes it just feels way too passive.
Its also padded with mandatory side missions to unlock progress and when you arent having fun you dont want more poo poo slowing you down.

So i'd give it a provisional 6 or 7 based on getting just past the middle of act 2.

^^^
I would resub to gamespass if i could play an mmo as completely broken as SoD2 was

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

The Series X has already been tested by DF who had the thing running non-stop for 24 hours and say it remained completely silent the entire time. I wouldn't be concerned about the console wearing itself out, especially when Microsoft actually knows what they're doing when it comes to cooling solutions. That's likely the exact reason why they're not downclocking, is because they knew they were going for the most power out the gate and designed hardware that can accommodate everything at full load while remaining silent and sufficiently cooled. The real shock would be if they actually did downclock anything.

The faux concern should instead be directed at if they accounted for power cuts :eng101:

unless microsoft have found a way to bend the laws of physics the chips running full bore at all times isnt a good idea, and its the same cpu and gpu cores that the ps5 is running. and that exist on pc. they actually have fantastic power management theres no reason you want to blast them 100% all the time like this its an insane decision.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You say everything is insane and it matches so well with your posting and avatar lol calm down man, you'll live longer.

ErrEff posted:

Forza Horizon 5 will probably be shown, as that would follow the 2012-2014-2016-2018 release pattern of the previous games, maybe pushed to 2021.

I'd expect Forza Motorsport 8 instead. They were due to release last year and skipped it, so they've probably been working on having a title ready for launch again like they did last time. Horizon 5 will probably be 2021 or maybe 2022 since dev cycles will increase with the added detail and work needed from all that extra power.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I'd expect Forza Motorsport 8 instead. They were due to release last year and skipped it, so they've probably been working on having a title ready for launch again like they did last time. Horizon 5 will probably be 2021 or maybe 2022 since dev cycles will increase with the added detail and work needed from all that extra power.

I could also see them making Horizon the second game they release because an open world like that is more likely to benefit from not being hamstrung by developing for the older Xbox Ones.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently they expanded and opened a second studio to work on a Fable game as well and it's probably because they do open world game design so well. No idea which will release first however.

I'm curious to see how Forza Motorsport 8 turns out though and whether it's a traditional numbered entry of if they go GaaS with a title designed to last the whole generation. It seems like the perfect game for that model since they can just release an expansion every couple years with new tracks and cars rather than starting over repeatedly. I just hope they focus more on fictional circuits rather than boring real life circuits because the fictional ones are always the most fun and nicest looking tracks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
We're just not really gonna know poo poo about either of these things until they come out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Welp, seems the Series X's Backwards Compatibility won't be all-encompassing after all.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-to-launch-with-thousands-of-games
Welp,

https://twitter.com/Terak404/status/1266389377057525765?s=19

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol so much for trading in, then.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Um, yikes. Amusingly, in their haste they also removed the "Get ready for new gaming possibilities you never anticipated" line at the top so... good thing I never anticipated them, I guess?

Speaking of which, why is Sony's site always such a hot mess when it comes to dumb redirects? I go to playstation.com and it forces me to my local region site which has almost no content, so then I have to manually edit the URL to en-us to see the proper US site. But once I click the huge PS5 thing at the front page I get sent to my local region version of that page, which doesn't exist. And that resulting problem sends me to a 404 page so I have to go back and manually copy and paste the link for the PS5 page, except that isn't possible because the URL for the PS5 page is literally "playstation.com/ps5" with no region modifier. How is it possible to engineer a website for a giant media brand this badly in 2020?

And no, changing the region to United States actually doesn't work. Their cookies are broken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mark cerny sweating angry demanding his public bc claims be airbrushed off the web like a soviet photo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Mark cerny sweating angry demanding his public bc claims be airbrushed off the web like a soviet photo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can understand some concern with being categorical about BC as a company like SOny, but I do wonder what it is that is different from the discussion last generation about backwards compatibility that would lead them to be so weird about their phrasing.

Not hard to see what Xbox could lead with in their XBX presentation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cool that the system with all the old games people want to play doesn't care about BC and the system where no one gives gently caress about their back catalog is putting all their resources into it. 🙃

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
but enough about switch :getin:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

lmao more remasters incoming. Unsurprising given Jim Ryan hates BC.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Sony dropping backwards compat at last moment like last gen to get a bunch of money from game re-sales from games that are remastered or re-relased is great.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think the majority of gamers care.

Like I care about BC, but I have terrible opinions and am a person who actually used the 2.0 Kinect and Cable tv input so probably not the right consumer to go after.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I care about the games I'm playing and enjoying right now and don't want to throw them out the window in six months.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah gamers were perfectly happy and didn't make any complaints about having to play new games on the epic games launcher, no care about their steam library at all

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

scratching m y head here, cant figure out what this randos tweet has to do with m$ or my xbox

bookmarking this page in case sony talks about their bc next week because people are making some funny i told you sos based on a rando tweet

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

People keep bringing up the PS5 in the Xbox thread then get upset when people laugh at them :allears:

I like talking about the Xbox it's a really good console with a lot of fun games :)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I care about the games I'm playing and enjoying right now and don't want to throw them out the window in six months.

Keep the console then?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

People keep bringing up the PS5 in the Xbox thread then get upset when people laugh at them :allears:

I like talking about the Xbox it's a really good console with a lot of fun games :)

what games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cerny lied. Bc died
Long live the copy writer who leaked the truth.
Thank you based phill for defeating the sony hypocites

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RBX posted:

Keep the console then?

Why do that when you can trade it in for the latest model that plays all your games and all the new ones for the coming generation?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so you can buy the new console in 2 years when it has games and is $100 cheaper like a normal person

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

hanyolo posted:

Yeah gamers were perfectly happy and didn't make any complaints about having to play new games on the epic games launcher, no care about their steam library at all

yeah and the ps4 and switch sold poorly with no backwards compatibility. remember when nintendo, who had full bc on both home and handhelds previously, completely dropped it and no one bought the switch? very sad

going to need more than a screenshot of a site layout change tho to prove theyre now removing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

to be clear im recommending everybody preorder the xbox, immediately, because that is the funniest option