Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm seeing a lot of reaction similiar, but opposite, to ARTPOP as well. Lots of complaints that it sounds too dated, while ARTPOP sounded too weird to people when imo it was ahead of its time. Coincidentally, imo ARTPOP had a lot in common with the kpop that was coming out at that time than it did with most western pop releases.

Anyway ARTPOP is my favourite Gaga album and I've loved all three Chromatica tracks so far. Excited to hear the rest.

#justiceforartpop tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ARTPOP is great, and I'm really looking forward to this. I am a big Joanne fan though, it's pretty unfair we only get one Lady Gaga because I want to listen to both careers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If we could have two Gagas I'd put one on jazz duty, myself.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

drat this is very underwhelming for me. Was expecting so much more.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that was real bland.
Their Dua Lipa collab was so much better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like the chill house vibes a lot. I think my main complaint is it feels like it should be longer. Which was my only real complaint about Rain on Me, as well. Rain on Me feels like a complete track, though, where Sour Candy kinda ends abruptly imo

I am eternally amused that Jisoo is the only one with no lines in English. I guess Lisa speaks a little, though.

I wonder if/when they'll drop a video. All of the Blackpink girls are in the video for Rain on Me, so I kind of assume they must have been overseas to film something.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I love the vocal delivery of “come come unwrap me”

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Wrote up a huge effort post about how excited I am for this Gaga record but it’s probably not needed

I just need this album to be out on streaming services in the US. And I desperately need an extended 12” remix of Sour Candy

look at this goddamn playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXaB4n0u69YR3?si=mNO_YIDKSnuOMXBxVKA9rQ regardless of whether she actually assembled it or not you can immediately tell they know exactly what this album is supposed to be

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2020

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I’ve said this before in the thread but I’ve always felt like Gaga has been unfairly judged with her output. Selena Gomez has a metacritic of 76 for her last effort and ARTPOP has a 61. If Selena has released ARTPOP it would be heralded as breaking the mold and ahead of its time but with Gaga I guess people always have crazy expectations because of how she was compared to freaking Madonna after her first drat record and sold CRAZY numbers that only people like Taylor and Adele can hit.

Not to say Gaga hasn’t recorded dud songs but she still remains leaps and bounds more interesting than any pop star I know (even if I like Carlys music and Dua Lipas latest efforts, it just doesn’t feel the same)

(Obviously super subjective)

Just the absolute range of doing The Fame , Fame Monster, Born This Way, ARTPOP, a Jazz album, a smash soundtrack- expectations seem way higher.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Star is Born lowkey has some of Gaga's best bops on it, too. I prefer Heal Me to Shallow by sooo much. Hair Body Face was also an instant classic for me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

esperterra posted:

A Star is Born lowkey has some of Gaga's best bops on it, too. I prefer Heal Me to Shallow by sooo much. Hair Body Face was also an instant classic for me.

Shallow had a big moment but SOOOO many other songs were so much better.

Justice for Always Remember Us This Way and Is That Alright.

The former would have been another #1.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just remember, somewhere down the line Artpop will retroactively be awarded a 9. It had to die so someone else could rise and free Gaga from that lane.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's out on Spotify, about to hear a new POP Gaga record. Ahhhhhh.

That transition from Chromatica I to Alice :swoon:

HERE WE GO.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fuckin cackled at the opening to Alice, jesus christ, how perfect

got the two singles before I'm back into uncharted territory but seeing three separate instrumental interludes got me excited

^burtle posted:

Just remember, somewhere down the line Artpop will retroactively be awarded a 9. It had to die so someone else could rise and free Gaga from that lane.

pitchfork gonna give it a 8.6 as their sunday review sometime in 2026 (fame gets a 7.2, fame monster gets a 9, born this way a 6.8)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All those interludes staring at me are giving me some Tove Lo tea and I approve. Looking forward to listening to this later when I can sit down for the whole thing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

did loving julio bashmore produce replay what the gently caress is this???

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

me: well, this album has been wall to wall loving bangers, but it's a gaga album, so i'm sure this last track is going to be a soft little piano ballad or something. i mean just the name "babylon" got big soft music vibes

babylon: :catstare:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Alice, Free Woman, 911, Plastic Doll, Sine From Above, 1000 Doves are the stand outs to me.

I loved the whole thing. Stupid Love and Sour Candy were the weakest songs for me oddly enough, but in the context of the album, I was fine with them.

Babylon was like if Bowie and Black Jesus + Amen Fashion had a baby.

I want to see this live so badly. But will concerts be a thing for a long time? :(

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

The whole album's phenomenal, not a weak track in sight. The final three songs are the highlight for me. Did not expect that ending in Sine From Above.

Completely unrelated, I've been listening to the new Baekhyun record on repeat all week and don't plan to stop anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmgcRWxhmqY

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the new Baekhyun track is a bop for sure. Tiger Eyes by Ryu Su Jeong has been making the music show rounds and is also a banger, it's wormed its way into my life now that I'm watching them live again.

Chungha dropping something this weekend, too. The gays are keeping hella fed and blessed in quarantine tbh. If you haven't vogued the house down boots to Stay Tonight, you are missing out. Still shook that was just a pre release and not a promoted single.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Yeah I loved Stay Tonight. The music video is especially incredible with the choreography, I fell in love with her backup dancers. I don't know how I'm going to handle it if the whole album's like that, I might pass out from vogueing too much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CHROMATICA II INTO 911 THO

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Album is real good, but what's going on with the Amen Break'y sample at the end of Sine From Above?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love this entire album. Chromatica II/911, Replay and Sine From Above especially right now. Sour Candy is growing on me. I think my biggest issue with it is the song starts to get even better and then immediately ends, when it sounds like it's building to something. But it's such a great vibe anyway and gets me my jush. Fun Tonight is also a bop, and Rain on Me we already know owns. Stupid Love somehow keeps getting better every time I hear it, and I listen to it a lot.

The only songs I don't really dig are Free Woman and Plastic Doll, but they're still good. I just don't vibe with them.

It is 100% the second coming of ARTPOP. Somehow it's even gayer than ARTPOP. I feel so bad she had to drop this in the year where Pride will be nonexistant.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah I didn’t want to skip anything.

Even tracks I was kinda meh on at first I can’t stop playing now (Babylon)

BABBLE ON. That’s gossip. Battle for yo life. BABYLON.

:swoon:

Sine from above is my favorite so far along with Alice and Chromatica II into 911.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was re-listening to Gaga's discography and I'm annoyed that I didn't like Artpop for the longest time. It's so much campy fun. Donatella to Gypsy might be my favourite stretch of songs from her.

Chromatica is fun and growing on me fast but many songs feel abruptly short and like they’re not saying much? Disappointing because the art direction and lore have been great leading up.

Absolutely love Fun Tonight, Babylon, 1000 Doves, and Sine From Above.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Shneak posted:

I was re-listening to Gaga's discography and I'm annoyed that I didn't like Artpop for the longest time. It's so much campy fun. Donatella to Gypsy might be my favourite stretch of songs from her.

Chromatica is fun and growing on me fast but many songs feel abruptly short and like they’re not saying much? Disappointing because the art direction and lore have been great leading up.

Absolutely love Fun Tonight, Babylon, 1000 Doves, and Sine From Above.

As singles I think some songs are really short, but as a full listen it flows perfectly to me. I’d love a second verse in Sour Candy, but that’s about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Omg, Elton John is so good on Sine From Above

Buffis posted:

Album is real good, but what's going on with the Amen Break'y sample at the end of Sine From Above?
IT OWNS

Really this album had me hooked from Alice and delivered all the way through Babylon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think 911 and Sine From Above are my favourite tracks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I am replaying Replay, as appropriate

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Tove Lo video is AMAZING

https://youtu.be/wBwFLzxOIDk

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

somnambulist posted:

As singles I think some songs are really short, but as a full listen it flows perfectly to me. I’d love a second verse in Sour Candy, but that’s about it.

Yeah, it was clearly meant to be listened to as a whole, and I appreciate that as someone who still prefers to listen to albums. Though it'll make a lot of the songs feel hella short when thrown in a shuffle with other stuff.

The video's fun as gently caress, but the track still leaves me wanting. Granted most Tove Lo songs, even when they're still excellent, leave me wanting a little bit because nothing's ever going to top the one two combo of Lady Wood/Blue Lips. That poo poo's perfection.

This song is growing on me the more I listen to it tho.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I really like the production on Chromatica. BloodPop and Madeon got me in my zone.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'll be your enema

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alice is such an earworm, good god

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Enigma has become a new favorite. Her vocals SOAR by the end.

“Didjahearwhatiseddddddddddd DIDJAHEARWUTISEDDDDDD YEAH
Is it all in my heEEeeeEEad?”

:swoon:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Enigma and 911 are my two faves. Whole album is full of bangers though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uKaiCe0Qc

New Chungha! Much chiller vibe than Stay Tonight. I'm vibing hard to this. Super excited for when the album drops.

Between this, Gaga, and Moonbyul dropping a performance video for her album repackage the gays are hella fed this weekend goddamn

May more like Gay

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

i’m a big Blackpink fan and yeah Sour Candy is pretty meh. Could’ve been so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/maxwell_fong/status/1272630882906435584?s=19