Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That Works posted:

Would it have been murder 2 if standing on his neck for like 10 minutes killed him instead of 5?

I think murder 2 is worse since it’s just negligence if I recall right. Murder 1 is premeditated which it might end up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

I think murder 2 is worse since it’s just negligence if I recall right. Murder 1 is premeditated which it might end up being.

I'm more making a throwaway comment there about how it seems dumb to call it accidental when he was kneeling on his windpipe long enough to have a smoke or two. That said I think you're right.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I doubt you're going to be able to prove any premeditation here. This would be the kind of case where a murder 1 charge is used to get the killer off while making it look like you're doing something.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Does AG Barr still have a single shred of humanity left in him, or is this a political play?

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1266435871005433856?s=20

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1266435514707648512?s=20

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not giving him any credit or applause for doing what he's supposed to loving do as AG. Like this should have happened days ago.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In lighter news,
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1266435272557944837?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's the full charging document.

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/05/29/former-minneapolis-police-officer-derek-chauvin-arrested/

There are some bullshit, weasel words in here on page 3.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bv8zaw/minneapolis-bus-drivers-refuse-to-transport-george-floyd-protesters-to-jail

quote:

In solidarity with protestors, union bus drivers in Minneapolis signed a petition and refused to transport police officers and arrested protestors to jail on Thursday, PayDay Report first reported and independently confirmed by Motherboard. At one bus garage in downtown Minneapolis on Thursday evening, some workers refused to drive buses that were being dispatched to transport police officers.

“We are willing to do what we can to ensure our labor is not used to help the Minneapolis Police Department shut down calls for justice,” the petition reads. “For example, I am a bus driver with ATU 1005, and I urged people to call MetroTransit and the Governor the second I heard our buses and members were being organized to make mass arrests hours before the protests escalated.”

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm just talking about what front line officers think. There's, to my knowledge, no administration at all on the forum. Idk if there are any cops from the Twin cities at all. If there are, they haven't been posting.

And those other 3 cops should be charged as well. That they didn't intervene is hosed.

And I agree with you, but the reality is, it doesn't matter what the front line officer thinks in a situation like this. If they're ordered to go defend him in his house (which, to be honest, the guy was loving stupid to even be there, what the gently caress was he thinking? Did he not remember that officers houses have been targeted after poo poo like this? Besides being a murderer he's loving stupid too), they have to.

Things like charging him take time. If none of this poo poo happened, I'm betting either 1) the state AG would've charged him, or 2) the DOJ/FBI would've gotten involved. Apparently the local DA is a complete shitbag gently caress who, during the riots, actually said "there may not be enough evidence to charge him." Lol what? gently caress him. Robert Evans tweeted about it perfectly saying basically "Well that's one way to throe gasoline on the fire."

"if they'red ordered to go defend him in his house they have to" lmao cops literally are not legally required to actually defend people https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

"Things like charging him take time." also lmao gently caress you dude how often do cops arrest people that don't get charged

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm embarrassed how long I looked at that without realizing it wasn't real.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

I'm more making a throwaway comment there about how it seems dumb to call it accidental when he was kneeling on his windpipe long enough to have a smoke or two. That said I think you're right.

Legally, 'accidentally' and 'without intent to kill' is not the same thing. Murder 3 is essentially, "the gently caress were you thinking, any dipshit knows that if you do that, you could kill someone.

Absent evidence of previous bad blood between them, this is the right charge. OTOH, if he wasn't a cop, he'd get overcharged with Murder 1 in order to increase the stakes of losing at trial/force a plea.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

I doubt you're going to be able to prove any premeditation here. This would be the kind of case where a murder 1 charge is used to get the killer off while making it look like you're doing something.

Goes back to if they had a bad relationship at their job. There’s no reason to treat a coworker like that. He was trying to hurt and embarrass him at least and at worst it was his intent. Won’t be particularly surprised if some texts show up with something to that extant sooner or later.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

US is cutting its relationship with WHO.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1266443289118547970

This stupid loving President.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

US is cutting its relationship with WHO.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1266443289118547970

This stupid loving President.

:toot:

:suicide:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The S&P is up over 1% since he stopped talking

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Live look at Donnie's 3PM presser on China:

https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1266444972573818881

KABLOOEY

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

PookBear posted:

"if they'red ordered to go defend him in his house they have to" lmao cops literally are not legally required to actually defend people https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

"Things like charging him take time." also lmao gently caress you dude how often do cops arrest people that don't get charged

"Lmao gently caress you" too, dude. When's the last time a cop ever got charged as quickly as a not cop?

Not saying it's right. It sucks. But this is the hell world we live in. I don't like it either.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fknlo posted:

Honestly, I picture the "good cops" that everyone loves to talk about as the 3 guys that stood there and let the "bad cop" kill a guy. They're 100% seeing the poo poo the bad cops are doing and they just stand there and do nothing about. Doesn't sound very good to me.

When's the last time a cop ever got charged as quickly as a not cop?

Not saying it's right. It sucks. But this is the hell world we live in. I don't like it either.

Charges can take time, but there was absolutely no reason other than police corruption that all 4 of them weren't arrested on the spot.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 29, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did you guys actually read the article about them "working together"? The comments from the club owner make it seem pretty likely they wouldn't have known each other except as like, vague recognition.

quote:

Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open,” Santamaria said. “They were working together at the same time, it’s just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside.

"" posted:

Although the two overlapped working security on popular music nights within the last year, Santamaria can not say for certain they knew each other because there were often a couple dozen security guards, including off-duty officers.

Not saying they wouldn't have known each other at all, but it seems far less of a thing than it's being made out to be.

To be honest I think it's far worse if he didn't know him. No excuse of prior animosity or anything, just casual police murder.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Did you guys actually read the article about them "working together"? The comments from the club owner make it seem pretty likely they wouldn't have known each other except as like, vague recognition.

Not saying they wouldn't have known each other at all, but it seems far less of a thing than it's being made out to be.

To be honest I think it's far worse if he didn't know him. No excuse of prior animosity or anything, just casual police murder.

As someone who has worked at busy bars either in the bar or with my food truck outside, the off duty police outside know all the bouncers who work inside. Anytime someone causes a problem inside, they're taken to the police outside. I'm not saying they'd be pals, but if he was working as off duty security for 17 years, he definitely knew who Floyd was.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just lol if you don’t know your coworkers in a restaurant. It’s not that many.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is like one of those "perspective makes all the difference" memes except the other camera angle just makes it look even worse

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Charges can take time, but there was absolutely no reason other than police corruption that all 4 of them weren't arrested on the spot.

All this for a loving bounced check :d2a:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

A counterfeit 20. Still a misdemeanor. :d2a:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Live look at Donnie's 3PM presser on China:

https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1266444972573818881

KABLOOEY

This is like the 5'th one, it's what they use to distract Elon from sticking his fingers into anything important

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1266445008066002945?s=20

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

LingcodKilla posted:

Just lol if you don’t know your coworkers in a restaurant. It’s not that many.

"often a couple of dozen" seemed like quite a lot to me :shrug:

E) That is loving ridiiiiiiculous

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 29, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'm sure it had nothing to do with a fully grown adult male's kneecap against his loving brain stem, one of the most delicate and vital organs in the body, for 5+ minutes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"Lmao gently caress you" too, dude. When's the last time a cop ever got charged as quickly as a not cop?

you're making excuses for them when the supreme court has said that cops have no legal obligation to defend people, and you're acting as if cops witnessing a murder and then not immediately arresting the murderer is normal when I'm saying its not

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1266442131763331072

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao really?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can’t find what you don’t look for!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

From what I hear from Unicorn Riot, the EMTs got a call of a person asleep at the wheel of a vehicle when they were called. From that Chinese food place's security camera footage, it looks like the cops took him out of his car and then detained him, talked to him, then brought him somewhere across the street? or near there, but then the video ends/too hard to see what happens after. So it may not just be the originao $20 counterfeit, it could've been a possible OWI/DUI/whatever their charge would be locally.

Obviously that still doesn't excuse a loving murder. Nothing would. Just providing more background. I can't recommend Unicorn Riot enough, they're great independent journalists, completely crowdfunded, and a nonprofit to boot.

Edit: looks like this has been confirmed false as per joat mon and the charging document

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 29, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

PookBear posted:

you're making excuses for them when the supreme court has said that cops have no legal obligation to defend people, and you're acting as if cops witnessing a murder and then not immediately arresting the murderer is normal when I'm saying its not

Sorry if you interpreted it that way - in no way was I attempting to make excuses for it. I was trying to provide background info and context. Not saying it's right, just attempting to provide context, as a former LEO.

If you don't like my posts, why dont you just put me on ignore? The button's there for a reason.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Has there been any evidence that he actually resisted? It seems like they had him handcuffs and walking across the street. The next video I see is of the one where he’s on the ground? I’ve heard he tripped and they took that as resisting but not that he was actually non compliant.

Also I was just watching CNN and they had the owner of the restaurant they both worked at on. She basically call the cop a racist, and that on typical nights he’d handle disturbances himself and on any “urban” night he would call his on duty friends and they’d arrest anyone who caused trouble.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

From what I hear from Unicorn Riot, the EMTs got a call of a person asleep at the wheel of a vehicle when they were called. From that Chinese food place's security camera footage, it looks like the cops took him out of his car and then detained him, talked to him, then brought him somewhere across the street? or near there, but then the video ends/too hard to see what happens after. So it may not just be the originao $20 counterfeit, it could've been a possible OWI/DUI/whatever their charge would be locally.

Obviously that still doesn't excuse a loving murder. Nothing would. Just providing more background. I can't recommend Unicorn Riot enough, they're great independent journalists, completely crowdfunded, and a nonprofit to boot.

You'd think the PC affidavit would include a detail like that...

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Has there been any evidence that he actually resisted? It seems like they had him handcuffs and walking across the street. The next video I see is of the one where he’s on the ground? I’ve heard he tripped and they took that as resisting but not that he was actually non compliant.

Also I was just watching CNN and they had the owner of the restaurant they both worked at on. She basically call the cop a racist, and that on typical nights he’d handle disturbances himself and on any “urban” night he would call his on duty friends and they’d arrest anyone who caused trouble.

Yes, posted just upthread.

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the full charging document.

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/05/29/former-minneapolis-police-officer-derek-chauvin-arrested/

There are some bullshit, weasel words in here on page 3.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 29, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Was it ever actually determined if it was a counterfeit $20

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

facialimpediment posted:

I've been seeing a ton of these kinds of messages, they should give y'all some serious hope in all of the poo poo.

https://twitter.com/onecolleen/status/1266372848341282816?s=19

https://twitter.com/MoonPalaceBooks/status/1266001487081230337?s=19

https://twitter.com/MoonPalaceBooks/status/1266257779288760321?s=19

I posted two from Moon Palace Books because gently caress, that's some good poo poo.

Ordered a copy of The Forever War from them, and now I realize how morbidly relevant that title is.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

You'd think the PC affidavit would include a detail like that...

Yes, posted just upthread.

Ah, ok. Edited my post to reflect that.

Also, lmao at "actively resisted." Going from what we can see, the dude barely loving pulled away, and looks like he loving tripped at one point. Just the cops trying to justify their actions more. Dude was scared. Look at how unsteady that poor guy is on his feet. How the gently caress is he is posing a threat.

https://youtu.be/EKV7Mi9YUAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ah yes. Another magic case of exited delerium!