Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

My only hope with Joe Rogan getting paid $100mil to move to spotify is that 90% of his audience wont follow him behind the new pay wall, and no one has to give a poo poo about his tiny, tiny brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Even the riots going country-wide won’t give them the doomsday apocalypse scenario they have been craving. They will be told to stay home by police most of the time, life won’t get too disruptive besides Minneapolis and Tim Pool’s doomsday nacho packs will still sit in the back of the closet

iunno dawg

https://twitter.com/nbc4i/status/1266216805879644160

https://twitter.com/mattmauronews/status/1266190234418655235

https://twitter.com/mattsebastian/status/1266201083799461889

police are blazing away into crowds of protesters in kentucky

https://twitter.com/AureHope/status/1266251406161281024

https://twitter.com/joselitol/status/1266231981018251267

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1266116811797512195?s=20

large adult mayor

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

large adult thumb

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

assuming its real not just a twitter rando making poo poo up for fucks and giggles

You know how aged your whole shtick is? You really do fuckin suck

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

assuming its real not just a twitter rando making poo poo up for fucks and giggles

You will die like a dog for no good reason

-Ernest Hemmingway

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
what is the origin of these twitter avatars where they're in yellow radiation suits? Covid related?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ague Proof posted:

what is the origin of these twitter avatars where they're in yellow radiation suits? Covid related?

Yeah, they started popping up whenever Wuhan went into lockdown.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

because what we needed was a Dumb Midwest America Guy version of COINTELPRO :v:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
kiwifarms owner having a normal one

https://twitter.com/Romans5_4/status/1266350975578767360
https://twitter.com/Romans5_4/status/1266390524040294402

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1266172936718880769

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lol is this the dude whose mom threatened to pull the plug on him if he kept running the site and when he held his breathe she did

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i know it's not actually possible to have a serious conversation with these guys because they're just nihilist incels. but i really want to sit down with, like, null, or stonetoss, or hunter wallace, or one of the other fash fellow travelers who's since become disenchanted and ask "what did you think was going to happen after donald trump got elected?"
really tease out their actual, in the moment reaction, what they hoped for, and why they thought that might occur. trump is a con man and a liar and has been one throughout his life, but he's never really changed and he's never made more than a token attempt to hide what he is.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Holy poo poo the schism is happening

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Trump not Nazi enough for the Nazis. Film at 11

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Holy poo poo the schism is happening

The funniest part of that is that is the owner framing shutting down as a threat, as opposed to something he would have to do to avoid just an insane amount of legal liability. Like, without Section 230, he'd be getting just a never-ending stream of lawsuits and arrest warrants.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lowtax wouldn’t rat us out

Would he :ohdear:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i know it's not actually possible to have a serious conversation with these guys because they're just nihilist incels. but i really want to sit down with, like, null, or stonetoss, or hunter wallace, or one of the other fash fellow travelers who's since become disenchanted and ask "what did you think was going to happen after donald trump got elected?"
really tease out their actual, in the moment reaction, what they hoped for, and why they thought that might occur. trump is a con man and a liar and has been one throughout his life, but he's never really changed and he's never made more than a token attempt to hide what he is.
the best long-form interview i've seen of white supremacists was christopher hitchens filling in on some sunday evening news chat show in the early 90s. subjects were the father-son metzger duo of "white aryan resistance" (it spells WAR if you didn't notice) which was one of these third positionist / strasserist-type groups back then (incidental but i've seen some of the metzger klan's writings recirculating among nazis recently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7R-X1CXiI8

also you get tacky robocop suits

anyways it has this rare combination for a journalist in hitchens' clear contempt for them, but he keeps to his line of questioning until these guys' own bullshit and way they were trying to front broke down, leaving them jabbering insane stuff and melting down IRL

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CharlestheHammer posted:

real leftists care about converting people to their cause on like this frankly bizzare idea that the way to grow leftism is to talk exclusively to people who already agree with you
preaching to choir is not a viable strategy

the thing is though that you aren't a leftist, don't want the movement to grow, and are actively inimical to the things leftists want at least as you present yourself on SA and you've been saying this same thing for years

nobody's changed their mind about the efficacy of your approach in all that time so the evidence for it working at all is mighty thin at least with this group of posters

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
and lo, there came a great sputtering

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I generously thought that was a typo and he meant liberals.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Friends of mine in Denver, CO are telling me that Boogalooers started an altercation and shot rubber bullets at people. The mayor issued a vague statement.

Any CO goons?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they won't be able to phrase it in these terms, but they really thought that the GOP would build a white ethnostate even though that conflicted with the interests of capital. that is, instead of deportations being used to funnel money to private contractors, it would become an end goal in and of itself

they thought that because most politicians readily support the carcerial state and are happy with using brutal and racist systems to exploit BIPOC communities that they'd be willing to take it from exploitation to extermination

put another way, they thought that the oppression was the point, rather than a took used by capital to extract the maximum amount of labor and worth from those communities while keeping the exploitation going generationally

i think there was a lot of fear that a bunch of ostensibly establishment Republicans would pull off the mask and suddenly there'd be a few dozen Steve King's floating around Congress. Instead, they just dropped the pretense for capitalistic exploitation and leaned the gently caress into it

these shitbirds really thought that all these politicians who were paying them the barest lip service were giving them secret messages and coded hints that they were totally on board with open, mass genocide, and they were quite shocked to find that it was all just politicians lying to get votes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

miniscule12 posted:

Chuds are going to have to deal with the Double Decker of both coronavirus killing someone they know and trump failing to put down the riots.

They're brains are going to evaporate.

chuds, renowned as "owners of brains"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

joe rogan hosted a television show where living animals were tortured and killed for amusement

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

joe rogan hosted a television show where living animals were tortured and killed for amusement

Seems like a rude description of a Fear Factor

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Friends of mine in Denver, CO are telling me that Boogalooers started an altercation and shot rubber bullets at people. The mayor issued a vague statement.

Any CO goons?

I think jonny290 was down there, you can ask in the cop thread since that's the main thread for current happenings.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Repealing 230 would be terrible but gently caress me, if it kills Kiwi Farms and other chud websites, it would be one great silver lining.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

My only hope with Joe Rogan getting paid $100mil to move to spotify is that 90% of his audience wont follow him behind the new pay wall, and no one has to give a poo poo about his tiny, tiny brain.

spotify has a free tier, there's no paywall.

all these big podcast acquisitions are to get people to use the app, generate user data to better target ads to sell podcast ads on the free tier while also driving people to purchase premium music subscriptions.

podcasts are one the last "open" parts of the web left where it's just audio files in a rss feed. The people creating the shows have no idea about who listens, income levels, demographics, anything like they. they only know # of downloads and sell ads against that and maybe occasional surveys they ask the audience to do. spotify acquiring podcasts is the erosion of that anonymity and once again the commercialization of another open standard.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

SunAndSpring posted:

Repealing 230 would be terrible but gently caress me, if it kills Kiwi Farms and other chud websites, it would be one great silver lining.

unless im misunderstanding it’d kill any online thing that doesnt have the cash and connections to move EVERYTHING to eu or wherever

kiwi farm guy says

quote:

To anyone who would say "you're in Serbia, why do you care?" my answer is: I am physically in Serbia, but my possessions are not. Verisign, the company that leases all .NET domains, is American. My bank accounts are American (and thanks to the USA PATRIOT Act, unregulated banks like Swiss banks do not allow Americans to have accounts with them). My hardware is in the US. My datacenter is in the US. My LLCs are American. A civil judgement against me means they can take all of that, including the domain, Few other countries have the strong and broad protections for both speech and services as the US does currently.

Repealing Section 230 does not just spite Twitter. It emboldens Twitter to censor as hard as possible and jeopardizes any small forum without financial resources. I cannot become an outlaw for the forum. I cannot throw away my American citizenship for the forum. I've already done enough, and with the way Trump supporters are cheering this on, I don't even want to even bother.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
places like kiwifarms would be double hosed cause even if they did manage to move theyd need to find another country with lax hatespeach/bullying laws for forums and services

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

SunAndSpring posted:

and YouTube. The Algorithm is already looking ropy based on noises the FCC has been making about what counts as driven by the uploaded.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Reclines Obesily posted:

unless im misunderstanding it’d kill any online thing that doesnt have the cash and connections to move EVERYTHING to eu or wherever

kiwi farm guy says

The desired outcome is to silence everything that doesn't have the conservative movements limitless money and legal protection behind it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Couldn't sites just stop moderating and call it a day? Obviously that'd lead to an explosion of chan-like behavior but afaict that's the desired outcome.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nothus posted:

The desired outcome is to silence everything that doesn't have the conservative movements limitless money and legal protection behind it

repealing 230 would more broadly purge the internet of nearly everything that doesn’t have the backing of capital. anything else would either not have the money to maintain its own site (money for hosting and for fighting lawsuits), or would get banned from the larger platforms which would have to become stricter. so no content besides stuff from large corporate producers, plus some celebs and “safe” user content (cat photos and such), which would also kill the web as a means for any sort of non neoliberal/centrist leftist discourse or organizing, which the alt-right (and conservatives, and centrists) would be fine with even if it gets them banned too

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

DukeDuke posted:

repealing 230 would more broadly purge the internet of nearly everything that doesn’t have the backing of capital. anything else would either not have the money to maintain its own site (money for hosting and for fighting lawsuits), or would get banned from the larger platforms which would have to become stricter. so no content besides stuff from large corporate producers, plus some celebs and “safe” user content (cat photos and such), which would also kill the web as a means for any sort of non neoliberal/centrist leftist discourse or organizing, which the alt-right (and conservatives, and centrists) would be fine with even if it gets them banned too

In other words, the Internet Era would truly be over, and we'd be right back to having access to mass communications in the hands of a few.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Couldn't sites just stop moderating and call it a day? Obviously that'd lead to an explosion of chan-like behavior but afaict that's the desired outcome.

The only way you have protections under 230 is that you make a reasonable effort to moderate your content. Thinks like removing illegal content, piracy, stuff like that.

If you have no moderation you already can lose protections today.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FCKGW posted:

The only way you have protections under 230 is that you make a reasonable effort to moderate your content. Thinks like removing illegal content, piracy, stuff like that.

If you have no moderation you already can lose protections today.

nope, the only way for a site to lose 230 protections on something is if they publish it as themselves at which point they have first amendment protections for it

you are probably thinking of the dmca and how some courts think there is a red flag provision for removing its protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
loving Congress isn't actually gonna remove 230, right? Trump will ramble about it for a day or so and then get distracted by something.

Right?

....Right?