Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

is blade and soul worth loving around in for awhile? I know it probably has the same overly grindy p2w endgame that all korean mmos seem to have but I'm just looking for something actiony to distract me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How about Dark Souls Online?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All I want from Dark Souls is a proper co-op mode, where instead of summoning people in for a short time, you all get to share a single game file and exist as actual players in one game instance. It would trivialise absolutely everything to have four people running around the world unlocking everything at once and massacring bosses in seconds, but that's exactly why I want it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Pass. Black Desert Online has incredible titty action AND I can go fishing.

Thread question answered, please lock.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All I want from Dark Souls is a proper co-op mode, where instead of summoning people in for a short time, you all get to share a single game file and exist as actual players in one game instance. It would trivialise absolutely everything to have four people running around the world unlocking everything at once and massacring bosses in seconds, but that's exactly why I want it.

What, and lose the immersion of finding a good method of farming humanity/embers on the internet? Or telling your friends you ran out of fun coupons/humanity/embers/whatever on discord?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Xun posted:

is blade and soul worth loving around in for awhile? I know it probably has the same overly grindy p2w endgame that all korean mmos seem to have but I'm just looking for something actiony to distract me

Blade and Soul is actually pretty good and fun. Definitely worth trying out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did any of the Arch Age rereleases capture that feel? Ive lost count of how many times Trion has rereleased AA at this point. I was tempted to try the new server on at least one occasion but I think Im pretty much done with anything Trion has been involved in at this point.

I played the AA rerelase and eventually had to accept that it just wasn't the game I had hoped it would be. Originally I quit playing Archage because goon drama destroyed all the fun stuff, but this time I just quit because I was frustrated with the 'endgame'.

The core problem with Archage too me is this; its ostensibly a game where you can do tons of things, but in practice you spend a ton of time doing stuff you HAVE to do. The game is plagued with dailies. So many dailies, and they offer substantial rewards that you need. If you don't keep doing your dailies, you will fall behind, and fast. All those other things you could be doing are not a substitute for the ever oppressive shadow of the daily grind. So yeah, you can do whatever you want, but if you're not committing multiple hours every single day to doing those dailies you're going to fall super far behind. And it felt like every other day I was learning about some other daily I needed to be doing because the rewards it offered were just so loving good. What's the point of designing a game with so many options about what you can do and then forcing the player to do such specific things?

It feels so counterproductive. The times in Archeage where I got to do what I wanted and make my own plans I loved. It offers really unique experiences I just can't get in other games. I ended up as a despised criminal on the server, loathed by my own faction because I was repeatedly killing hapless fishermen. I would lure unsuspecting prey onto my boat, drive out into the middle of nowhere, and then slaughter them. I would lurk at the bottom of the sea, rising to the surface to nuke some guy as he swam to pick up his tuna, then sink back down into the depths. They loving HATED me for what I did, and I loved every second of it.

But it was ultimately pointless because it turns out I was supposed to be grinding some daily dungeon I'd never even heard of because its loot payout was like 50x what I was doing.

I hate dailies. I hate being forced to do specific things over and over in a sandbox. I want an MMO where I can actually do what I want, not do hours of chores every single day before being allowed to enjoy myself.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is the closest thing we've got to general chat, so i'm gonna go ahead and sticky it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i like "dailies" when they're actually masqueraded weeklies or even better, monthlies.

gw2 dailies i ended up only doing when it was accidental most of the time. they were just really stupid busywork. "mine 3 nodes" "kill stuff at this world location" "run a dungeon" ughh i don't feel like doing that kind of poo poo every day to maximize my profits.

ff14 instead has daily roulettes you can do to cap weekly pve currency, but they're also not the only source of said currency. so, a couple of days you might log in and do a bunch of dungeon roulettes to cap your tomes, which, at "most efficient", is 5 expert roulettes, one each day. or, you can do something else that drops the currency and be done in a single day, but maybe it'll take you 3-4 hours (a single expert roulette is usually below 20 minutes). it's not "efficient", but it is a lot more "mood compatible". sometimes days feel like logging in and blowing up some pve, and some days i just wanna do something else. i can respect a mmo that understands that.

e: also, yeah, one activity being vastly superior to everything else is dumb as hell. love to grind this same thing day in day out because it pays 10 times the amount of cash than other stuff

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 29, 2020

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Daily quests are probably one of the worst things to happen to MMO design in a long while. They turn games into jobs.

Except daily dungeon quests. I love those since they get more people into group content and group content is fun and good.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I like how FFXIV does dailies where there's a hardcap of like 12 on total dailies done per day, each faction gives like 3 tops, they take barely any time and also don't give anything that's mission-critical

more importantly, when the level cap increases, unless you really want to wear a geordi visor or get an elephant mount the exp sucks on the old ones at the new levels so you can just pretend they don't exist

edit: this is just the lovely solo dailies

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CoffeeBooze posted:

Daily quests are probably one of the worst things to happen to MMO design in a long while. They turn games into jobs.

Except daily dungeon quests. I love those since they get more people into group content and group content is fun and good.

Wow I guess you can say that like essentially every other mechanic in the universe, dailies can be good or bad depending on implementation.

Land of contrasts yadda yadda.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can tolerate dailies to an extent. It depends on what else there is to do in the game.

I can also tolerate the exact same content, as it turned out while I was playing CoH Homecoming, because new heroes and power sets were fun to create and explore. Go figure.

Dailies though, I've always seen them as a means of wealth accumulation. If a game didn't have dailies, you can bet that resource harvesting would get you the money you needed. In a sense I was more willing to do an objectively more boring activity if it brought in more money.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

gw2 dailies i ended up only doing when it was accidental most of the time. they were just really stupid busywork. "mine 3 nodes" "kill stuff at this world location" "run a dungeon" ughh i don't feel like doing that kind of poo poo every day to maximize my profits.
The good thing about GW2 daily design is that it's purely optional. You could make the same amount of money doing most other things. Dailies that you must do unless you want to fall behind, dailies that gate new players, and dailies that invoke fomo are trash designed to inflate numbers and engagement metrics while not being actually engaging to players and instead holding them hostage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

Season/Battle/whatever passes are basically this for non-sub games. I pretty much lost all interest in Destiny now or in the future when I realized how they changed the way I played the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

This thread is the closest thing we've got to general chat, so i'm gonna go ahead and sticky it

thanks! if someone would like to do a thread with an actual OP or whatever, feel free!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel like the current OP is an excellent summation of the ennui that permeates this thread and indeed, this entire subforum.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Can we just bring the Wildstar thread back and use that for MMO general chat? I really felt that thread did a great job of representing the genre.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i want an mmo with innovative mechanics so badly that i've embarked on an impossible quest to make my own multiplayer game with which to punish my broke brain friends.

i'm sick of every game either assuming that you either have 3 friends at most or is a glorified lobby calling itself an MMO (ahem I mean live service). I feel like at this point, the genre is so utterly busted that going back and trawling up ideas from old muds and browser games is the best way forward. minesweeper.io and tetris 99 are more innovative than most of the miserable hot bar mashers out there.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

cmdrk posted:

i want an mmo with innovative mechanics so badly that i've embarked on an impossible quest to make my own multiplayer game with which to punish my broke brain friends.

i'm sick of every game either assuming that you either have 3 friends at most or is a glorified lobby calling itself an MMO (ahem I mean live service). I feel like at this point, the genre is so utterly busted that going back and trawling up ideas from old muds and browser games is the best way forward. minesweeper.io and tetris 99 are more innovative than most of the miserable hot bar mashers out there.

what is up with the 3 friends at most thing anyway? or sometimes even 2? sure as gently caress have no friends but there's more than 2 goons at a time

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Got an email today

quote:

Hi Eox,

Thanks to the support of our amazing community, we've made tremendous strides since first launching Early Enrollment for Pathfinder Online:

Settlement leaders can now build up their settlements as they wish, placing and upgrading individual structures to support their favorite activities.
Spellcrafters can enchant gear with hundreds of bonuses, using rare raw materials (available only for gathering in specific monster hexes) and salvage items (available only as loot from specific escalations).
Adventurers can face off against over 20 escalations that offer a challenge for everyone from level 1 to level 20.
Gatherers can find resource “gushers” that attract attacking creatures while being harvested.
Companies can attack each other’s vulnerable holdings to steal bulk resources, and can even use siege equipment to attack and take over enemy settlements.
Players can track other characters they'd like to interact with regularly in-game through Friends Lists.
Even inactive characters can play the game as much as they'd like in Free Trial Mode, though with some gameplay limitations (e.g., support restricted to level 6, no influence earned, no XP granted over time, can’t participate in territorial PvP games).
With all these additions and more providing a solid core of gameplay, and with countless other quality-of-life and performance improvements made along the way, we soft-launched Open Enrollment back in December. After taking some time to work out the kinks, we're ready to tell the world about the big changes Open Enrollment brought to Pathfinder Online, and about the additional improvements that continue to be made.

The biggest change we made for Open Enrollment was converting all accounts, including yours, from our original Account-Based Subscription Model to our new Character-Based Subscription Model. Now all three characters on your account can be fully active and training at the same time, and you can even log into the game with all three characters at once. You activate and manage individual characters on the in-game Character Selection Screen, using a credit for a month of game time to activate or renew each character (along with their Destiny's Twin, if they have one). Any characters you prefer to leave inactive will be in Free Trial Mode.

As part of this change, we reduced the price for a month of game time to $5 (with further discounts for purchasing six or twelve months at a time) and tripled any remaining game months on your account, along with adding two more months to any active accounts. You can see how many months of game time your account has on your Rewards page.

Launching Open Enrollment doesn't mean the end of development for Pathfinder Online. Since then, we added a new role to the game, the Combat Alchemist. With their Alchemist's Tools and Formula Books, and Bandoliers loaded with Reagents, Combat Alchemists specialize in healing and protecting allies with elixirs, buffing (while simultaneously debuffing) themselves with mutagens, or damaging enemies with bombs and other alchemical items. They have a full complement of feats to train at the Visiting Combat Alchemist Trainers, and will soon have their own structures and a new tutorial. We've also started work on transferring our servers to the cloud, upgrading to the latest version of Unity, and adding even more content to the game.

Right now we're in the middle of our Home Sweet Home Event, making this a great time to visit the Echo Woods. Until Daily Maintenance on Monday, July 6, 2020 (or later if widespread school and workplace closures continue), rare event raw materials and salvage items are available for gathering and looting, and sets of these items can be exchanged for a choice of recipes/expendables and raw ingredients.

If you have any questions at all about these changes, please contact us at customer.support@pathfinderonline.com, and thanks again for all your support over the years.

Reasonably certain an inn still costs 300$

edit: im losing my mind at "Adventurers can face off against over 20 escalations that offer a challenge for everyone from level 1 to level 20"

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

what is up with the 3 friends at most thing anyway? or sometimes even 2? sure as gently caress have no friends but there's more than 2 goons at a time

my nintendo 64 had 4 controller ports, so i only ever made 3 friends.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Biowarfare posted:

Four is roughly the number of people someone can be expected to round up for an evening unannounced, basically.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
BDO just gave out 50x 530% combat xp/skill scrolls, which can easily be combined with the twice weekly 600%xp scrolls for a very serious levelling power hour

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Eox posted:

Got an email today

Reasonably certain an inn still costs 300$

edit: im losing my mind at "Adventurers can face off against over 20 escalations that offer a challenge for everyone from level 1 to level 20"

I should see if I got this email. I had no idea it was even still going.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny to me that pathfinder the NWN-style rpg is going great while pathfinder the MMO languishes in development hell, even though the MMO got started way sooner.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

heck, NWN persistent worlds launched like 19 years ago have a higher population than pathfinder online

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
so i am play last last oasis under my user name i find it fun

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

ashrum3 posted:

cool

Sparrownyx
Nov 24, 2019
Ok so i was told by some one to post in sa that im playing in Oasis so here i am hope this is the right one. I go by sparrowmystic and under goon swarm as a group name In NA East

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sparrownyx posted:

Ok so i was told by some one to post in sa that im playing in Oasis so here i am hope this is the right one. I go by sparrowmystic and under goon swarm as a group name In NA East

Hi friend

Have you posted your intro thread in GBS yet? That’s how you get access to all the guilds and special forums including for Last Oasis.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Sparrownyx posted:

post your 200 word introduction to GBS and give the admins 24 hours at least, don't bother them they can get pissy at times

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Frog Act posted:

heck, NWN persistent worlds launched like 19 years ago have a higher population than pathfinder online

hmm, I'm considering buying Enhanced Edition and checking things out. NWN persistent worlds loving own

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ashrum3 posted:

Sparrownyx posted:

So what is it about Last Oasis that causes this?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

So what is it about Last Oasis that causes this?

This is just an educated guess but I'm guessing there's group of people in underpants running around killing everybody and they won't even let you play the game unless you join them and also something about someone's spine

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

This is just an educated guess but I'm guessing there's group of people in underpants running around killing everybody and they won't even let you play the game unless you join them and also something about someone's spine

So there's a goon server? Go on...

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Ugh, the Donkey Crew game. Can't wait to see it get abandoned like Of Kings and Men. Glad I only gave them money once.

Also, no there is no more good MMOs because they're all filled with MTX and Battle Passes, with an optional [mandatory] subscription, Creating a problem so we can sell you a solution!

Breidr fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 11, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

The only good MMO is LotRO because you can see all the things you love if you love Tolkien’s legendarium. I got sucked back in due to needing COVID escapism and I just reached osgiliath for the first time. Gondor calls for aid, and I shall answer!

They’re also doing a shitload of discounts and giveaways right now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has anyone got an an opinion on Duel Universe? https://www.dualthegame.com/en/

It sounds rather impossible - Millions of players, hundreds of space ships in combat, with Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kaysette posted:

The only good MMO is LotRO because you can see all the things you love if you love Tolkien’s legendarium. I got sucked back in due to needing COVID escapism and I just reached osgiliath for the first time. Gondor calls for aid, and I shall answer!

They’re also doing a shitload of discounts and giveaways right now.

Amazon is making a new one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D55Y3tnP5Wo