Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, 3 stars seems about right. Good match, not great, due to the lovely WWE cage rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We would have gotten a long Bret/Lex feud over the title if only Lex hadn’t drunkenly told that reporter their plans in the bar

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I always thought the implication of the Bret/Yoko ending was that Yoko was concussed from Lex's earlier forearm shot and lost his balance. But he didn't particularly sell it that way and the announcers as I recall didn't sell it that way, so it ended up looking like Yoko just slipped on an invisible second rope banana peel

I watched that match a million times and never picked up on that

Austin vs. Yoko on that one Free For All had a similar ending where Austin pinned Yoko after the top rope snapped during the Banzai Drop on account of his fatness and he fell backwards

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 27, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Maybe this is worthy of its own thread (if it isn't one already) but what are the most contentious matches to be awarded five stars by Dave Meltzer? I ask because I recently watched the Summerslam 1994 cage match between Bret and Owen, and while I thought parts of it were entertaining I also thought it was far too long and, as a result, extremely repetitive. I thought their Wrestlemania match was much, much better, which "only" scored ****3/4.

He threw *****1/2 and *****1/4 at the Gargano/Cole matches which I thought were tedious slogs that fed into Gargano's worst habits. Gargano/Andrade was way better than either of those and it got "only" 5.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Benne posted:

He threw *****1/2 and *****1/4 at the Gargano/Cole matches which I thought were tedious slogs that fed into Gargano's worst habits. Gargano/Andrade was way better than either of those and it got "only" 5.

I was going to post this in a slightly more blunt way but I wimped out; nice to see someone else agreeing with me!

I'd also add the Gargano-Ciampa matches/feud; especially as it progressed to get even more melodramatic and fake.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Gargano Ciampa 1 was great though! It even had one of my fave endings: Gargano doesn't want to fight Ciampa, not really. Extends offer of friendship. Ciampa accepts, but it was a trick! He goes for a final shot but Gargano, in spite his optimism, was ready for it and chokes Ciampa out using the weapon he wanted to use. Such a great ending. Too bad this was the ending to the match and not the feud which just got more and more silly...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve said it before but those Cole/gargano matches seemed like they were in slow motion to me. Another thing is just these overly showy dramatic spots that seemed to be there just for the purpose of doing stuff for 30 seconds then both freezing in place so the crowd can cheer and clap for it. Which is of course strange for me to complain about since wrestling is fake and meant to entertain the fans.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

oldpainless posted:

I’ve said it before but those Cole/gargano matches seemed like they were in slow motion to me. Another thing is just these overly showy dramatic spots that seemed to be there just for the purpose of doing stuff for 30 seconds then both freezing in place so the crowd can cheer and clap for it. Which is of course strange for me to complain about since wrestling is fake and meant to entertain the fans.

My thing with them is that they feel so forced and inauthentic which isn't what you should be thinking about while a match is going on. The best matches are the ones that suck you in to them and make you forget that what you are watching isn't real and those Cole-Gargano matches really don't and I look at them from this weird position because of that. There's a lot of self-indulgence there (hey look at what I can do!! type stuff that doesn't really amount to anything in the overall story of the match) plus the overwrought nature of NXT now just makes the things exhausting to watch and not in a good way.

On your last point: the fact that you thought "they did this just to get the crowd to cheer" is a negative thing: sure that's what pro wrestling is but there are ways to do it in a way that feels more meaningful. At risk of sounding like Jim Cornette or someone like him: its pro wrestling not gymnastics: the fact that you can do impressive physical acts means less to me than your ability to put together a really compelling pro wrestling match without those things. I really like Japanese rookie matches for that reason: its really interesting to see people put together genuinely very good matches with a limited amount of moves they are allowed to use and like I'd rate any New Japan young lion match or any Joshi rookie match over any of the Gargano-Cole matches for that reason: the simplicity of them makes them more interesting to me.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a silly question that only completist nerds would have the answer to:

Do we know who the lineal Champion is for Zack Ryder's Internet Championship?

I am listening to his Talk is Jericho episode, and he said he had a title defense where he beat Primo. But knowing Zack's career, he surely lost the 'lineal' belt a long time before that, and it would have been passed on and on to someone else by now.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
The HBK vs Undertaker HIAC match getting 5* feels a bit egregious when their Mania matches didn't despite them probably being better

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Purple Monkey posted:

The HBK vs Undertaker HIAC match getting 5* feels a bit egregious when their Mania matches didn't despite them probably being better

Nah, HIAC is better than both of their 'Mania matches

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Purple Monkey posted:

I literally watched this match yesterday; aside from Shawn slightly struggling to piledrive Undertaker on the ring steps, it's perfect. Even that slight misstep can be attributed in-story to fatigue/weakness; it fits.

The only part about the match I'm not certain of is whether Shawn planned the attack on the cameraman to be able to escape, or if that was just a frustration/heel move. He doesn't make a break for the door until Hebner's about to close it, so I'm guessing the latter.

That match, for me, is one of the best WWF matches of the last 25 years, along with HHH/Cactus at the Rumble, Bret/Austin at WM13, and a few others.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

I literally watched this match yesterday; aside from Shawn slightly struggling to piledrive Undertaker on the ring steps, it's perfect. Even that slight misstep can be attributed in-story to fatigue/weakness; it fits.

The only part about the match I'm not certain of is whether Shawn planned the attack on the cameraman to be able to escape, or if that was just a frustration/heel move. He doesn't make a break for the door until Hebner's about to close it, so I'm guessing the latter.

That match, for me, is one of the best WWF matches of the last 25 years, along with HHH/Cactus at the Rumble, Bret/Austin at WM13, and a few others.

:hmmyes:

Storyline was much, much better leading into the HIAC match, as well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

:hmmyes:

Storyline was much, much better leading into the HIAC match, as well.

Absolutely; the story flow stemming from Shawn’s rise/fall/makeover, Bret’s disillusionment, Austin’s rise, the Taker’s move from sideshow to serious, Kane, it’s amazing how it all ties together. Even Sid fits into the whole thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Absolutely; the story flow stemming from Shawn’s rise/fall/makeover, Bret’s disillusionment, Austin’s rise, the Taker’s move from sideshow to serious, Kane, it’s amazing how it all ties together. Even Sid fits into the whole thing.

Sid was perfectly fine during that time, tbh.

But I'm a known Sid apologist.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Sid was perfectly fine during that time, tbh.

But I'm a known Sid apologist.

Sid was usually booked just right, IIRC. His match quality could be all over the place, but he loving showed up when he got the title.

And softball season always began before he got stale.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Sid was usually booked just right, IIRC. His match quality could be all over the place, but he loving showed up when he got the title.

And softball season always began before he got stale.

Sid almost always tried, which is a lot more than I can say for some people much more talented

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Speaking of Sid and softball, do we know if he was good at it? Picturing him in a game is a funny thought.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a silly question that only completist nerds would have the answer to:

Do we know who the lineal Champion is for Zack Ryder's Internet Championship?

I am listening to his Talk is Jericho episode, and he said he had a title defense where he beat Primo. But knowing Zack's career, he surely lost the 'lineal' belt a long time before that, and it would have been passed on and on to someone else by now.
Apparently the Internet Championship was unveiled on April 18, 2011. I'm going to assume that the Internet Championship was only up for grabs in singles matches, and disqualify three-way/four-ways because it's easier to do so. Zack Ryder's next loss was to Evan Bourne on an episode of Superstars that aired on May 2nd, 2011. From there it followed this lineal path of champions:

2011: Bourne, Alberto del Rio, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Rey, Cena, Punk, ADR, Cena, ADR, Punk
2012: Punk, Bryan, Punk, Kane, Sheamus, Punk
2013: Punk, Rock, Cena, Bryan, Orton, Bryan, Orton
2014: Orton, Kingston, ADR, Batista, ADR, Sin Cara, Bad News Barrett, Sheamus, Cesaro, Kofi, Cesaro, Kofi, Cesaro, Rob Van Dam, ADR, Roman Reigns.
2015: Roman, Big Show, Roman, Rollins, Cena, Rusev, Cena, Owens, Cena, Rollins, Ryback, Rollins, Cena, ADR, Roman, Sheamus, Roman
2016: Roman, Rollins, Ambrose, AJ Styles, Cena
2017: Cena, Bray Wyatt, Orton, Wyatt, Finn Balor, Roman, Samoa Joe, Brock Lesnar
2018: Lesnar, Roman
2019: Roman, Shane McMahon, Owens, Samoa Joe, Owens, Elias
2020: Elias has not lost a singles match since winning the Internet championship on August 20, 2019

I think this is a pretty good encapsulation of WWE booking for the past decade in general, though bizarrely Baron Corbin never won it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Sid almost always tried, which is a lot more than I can say for some people much more talented

Sid did not almost always try. He did not always even show up for work.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Barely showing up and not trying when you do? Sid’s a drat hero.

Also for the longest time I though people were using “softball” to insinuate something else but I guess it just meant literally playing softball.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Considering Sid’s choice of weapons in the past, I don’t blame you.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Didn’t Sid attack someone with a squeegee one time? For some reason I vaguely recall a story about Sid and a squeegee.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maigius posted:

Speaking of Sid and softball, do we know if he was good at it? Picturing him in a game is a funny thought.

I doubt he's out there manning CF but I bet if he gets ahold of one he doesn't have to run the bases too fast.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Didn’t Sid attack someone with a squeegee one time? For some reason I vaguely recall a story about Sid and a squeegee.

I just skimmed an article about this and boy does it make Sid seem pathetic lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He started a fight with Brian Pillman in a bar and Brian embarrassed him. Sid left and later returned with a squeegee from a nearby gas station but Pillman was gone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

He tried to use one in an altercation with Pillman. But he claims now that the story is overblown. He also claims that he meant to Powerbomb Pillman as dangerously as he did in Wargames so who knows what's going on with Sid!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He started a fight with Brian Pillman in a bar and Brian embarrassed him. Sid left and later returned with a squeegee from a nearby gas station but Pillman was gone.

Sid said his car wouldn't start so while someone was jumping him off, he saw the squeegee on the floorboard and came back and threatened Pillman with it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sid also poo poo his pants at Wrestlemania 13.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sid is the platonic ideal of "galoot." Also he pooed himself once, fighting "The Undertaker"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Everyone. Sid shitted during a match

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To the best of my memory:

The squeegee story is that Sid was in the bar with Brian Pillman and a bunch of wrestlers and they were discussing the business and what was wrong with it and Sid said the problem was little guys like Pillman getting pushes when they couldn't get over. This pissed off Pillman who started a fight and Sid peaced out but then returned with a squeegee in a failed attempt to sucker Pillman.

This sometimes gets confused with his Arn Anderson story where they were in a bar discussing the business and what was wrong with it and Sid said the problem was old guys like Ric Flair who wouldn't get out of the way. This pissed off Arn who started a fight and then it broke up and they peaced out but Sid came back with a broken chair leg to try and sucker Arn. Arn retaliated with a pair of scissors and stabbed Sid.

Sid downplays both stories to where he's kind of a victim but the common thread seems to be Sid instigating fights in bars by being an insulting dick, backing out, and then trying to sucker the guy with a weapon later.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Powerbomb more like Pooerbomb

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

He definitely had a muppet-like quality to him, a large muppet with large muscles.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love the fact that Sid poo poo himself at Wrestlemania 13 even more now that I know how much of a colossal rear end in a top hat the Undertaker is.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I am fond of Sid's weird punches

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I liked when he destroyed the Barber Shop with a chair and the first thing he did was hit a can of shaving cream and it exploded in his face.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sid is sounding more awesome with every post, tbh.

edit: well except the part where he tried to intentionally injure Pillman

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I just remembered how tan Sid was and that activated some neuron which remembered a pamphlet which "Powerslam" magazine put out. It was about the "Ten Best Paid Wrestlers" and in the Hulk Hogan entry they listed his main strength as "Excellent Promo" and his main weakness as "Skin cancer seems inevitable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked when he destroyed the Barber Shop with a chair and the first thing he did was hit a can of shaving cream and it exploded in his face.

I had never seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWZa8G2boSA

It is good.