Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Man I kind of hate the set up for the Chimera ants. Let's eat a whole bunch of people, only some of them can use Nen, and poop out Cell who is DBZ powerful with no build up. Also there's a cat that is a doctor because???, a butterfly that can mind control and clone because???, and a very powerful body morphing beast (this one makes sense kind of but I hate him still).

The arc had some good moments but I'd certainly hope so given how long it was.

The entire point of Meruem is that he starts as a cliched boring rear end in a top hat villain and becomes a compassionate human by the end to contrast with how Gon is a human that becomes monstrous.

The early 90's shonen setup and the way the story plays with the audience's expectations of it are why the arc is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One thing I like about Hunter is it doesn’t fall into the trap of give antagonist a tragic backstory to try and force sympathy.

Your sympathy is because you genuinely like the characters and don’t need that emotional manipulation

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I'd done a re-read of the series not too long ago and had forgotten that the auction catalog for the Southernbee auction (which is the legitimate one) also mentions that Ren is needed to access Greed Island, although the price to acquire the catalog is 12 million Jenny so not something you'd expect any normal person to be able to get just to find a single listing for a game that doesn't tell you what Ren is. The remaining information about how to even access something like Greed Island required a hunter's license since the regular internet gave no such info beyond the name of the manufacturer. It's reasonable to assume there wouldn't be much public information on the internet for similar reasons.
greed island only exists to normies in the hxh world as a scan of a catalog entry that gets passed around on the internet, it's just their version of yeah yeah beebiss i

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

One thing I like about Hunter is it doesn’t fall into the trap of give antagonist a tragic backstory to try and force sympathy.

Your sympathy is because you genuinely like the characters and don’t need that emotional manipulation

You seem to have forgotten Gyro.

(To be fair, I suspect Togashi has also forgotten Gyro.)

Edit: Something of the sort is also vaguely implied with Morena Prude, I guess? Plus the original Phantom Troupe members came from Meteor City, and it's mentioned in passing that Hisoka grew up poor. But with the exception of Gyro, Togashi doesn't belabor the point.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 29, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gyro is not a villian yet :colbert:

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
gyro isnt even a character yet

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gyro is a self-aware backstory, cut loose from any particular character.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Clarste posted:

Gyro is a self-aware backstory, cut loose from any particular character.

Does this fall under Conjuration or Emission?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
farts are unquestionably emission, but are sharts conjuration?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Rubber and gum have the same properties

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Binolt had a tragic backstory.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Binolt was the guy from Greed Island who cut women up with scissors and ate hair, right?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
yet still had the decency to request a sparring match with bisky once he realized how yoinked up she was

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"I may be cannibalistic serial killer, but I still have the honor of a warrior."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Binolt was the guy from Greed Island who cut women up with scissors and ate hair, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdQbZzQM4GU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Gon's gonna be a bigger rear end in a top hat than Ging when he's an adult.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Viridiant posted:

Gon's gonna be a bigger rear end in a top hat than Ging when he's an adult.

Nah he is no longer special.

His kid tho.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be perfectly reasonable for gon to regain his abilities in some new adventure, but there are no new adventures for him. he's done. there aren't hundreds of chapters to come.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it would be perfectly reasonable for gon to regain his abilities in some new adventure, but there are no new adventures for him. he's done. there aren't hundreds of chapters to come.

We know that Gon will at least have some further eventful things happening to him, even if Togashi never actually gets around to writing it, because of the narrator statement that he'll meet Gyro at some point in the future. That doesn't mean he'll get his Nen back, though.

Edit: While we're on the subject of Gyro, I want to point out that his backstory makes no sense. The kind of abuse he went through should have made him a barely functional member of society, not a super-competent organizer who can just found an entire country and run the world's most successful drug-smuggling operation.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 29, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if watching narcos has taught me anything, it's that you can found the world's largest drug smuggling empire while being a barely functional psychopath

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

if watching narcos has taught me anything, it's that you can found the world's largest drug smuggling empire while being a barely functional psychopath

Sure, but founding and leading an entire new country? And despite him being evil, all the characters who knew him personally seem to admire him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Sure, but founding and leading an entire new country? And despite him being evil, all the characters who knew him personally seem to admire him.

I would assume a lot of the people that gravitated towards Gyro came from troubled pasts as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Man I kind of hate the set up for the Chimera ants. Let's eat a whole bunch of people, only some of them can use Nen, and poop out Cell who is DBZ powerful with no build up. Also there's a cat that is a doctor because???, a butterfly that can mind control and clone because???, and a very powerful body morphing beast (this one makes sense kind of but I hate him still).

The arc had some good moments but I'd certainly hope so given how long it was.

no you're wrong

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I mean, Pablo had a bunch of really close companions who looked up to him, and came surprisingly close to taking over Columbia as president.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Octavian Augustus was a brutal man who was definitely a psychopath and he won two civil wars and became one of the most respected men of his time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I hadn't realized from vague absorption of the scuttlebutt that Hunter X Hunter was depressing enough to off its own protagonist.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I hadn't realized from vague absorption of the scuttlebutt that Hunter X Hunter was depressing enough to off its own protagonist.

Na he ain’t dead but engaging with the world of Hunter x Hunter beyond just as a plain old civilian requires the use of Nen which is basically haki from one piece to survive. and Gon fucks up so badly that even after being revived from the brink of death he can’t use it anymore.

But more importantly HxH has been on a hiatus for about a year now while like 25-30% through the current Gon-less story arc so it’s basically a forgone conclusion that Gon’s involvement in the story is over.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's nothing explicitly keeping Gon from relearning Nen, besides it probably being a very bad idea due to him already managing to escape the cost of the deal he made and was lucky to be back to normal.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Honestly my reading is that the story following Ging now was basically a de facto Gon time skip

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I have always made the assumption of "Gon's story is over" and people just assuming he'll be back because he was the protagonist kind of misses the point that togashi was trying to make.

His character arc is over, his shonen goal was "I want to meet my dad again" just like naruto's "I want to be hokage" and Luffy's "I want to be pirate king". Now that he has accomplished that he would have to create a new goal which I just don't see happening. He isn't going to have another training arc on the dark continent. Hisoka will most likely die on the boat so that won't motivate him. The story doesn't have space for him when we deal with kurapika's and then ging's arcs.

The only thing left for him is to learn how to be a normal person.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean, the Chimera Ants arc specifically says that Gyro and Gon would meet again. So assuming Togashi ever gets around to that, something is going to happen with Gon in the future. Otherwise yeah, he's done and done.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sure, he'll do stuff in universe, but I just get the impression that he's going to be offscreen for a long, loooooooong time, possibly ever. Especially since his main goal is pretty much done at this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah Gon will be back it’s pretty much explicitly stated that. It has nothing to do with protagonist or whatever.

I mean he is planned to come back, whether we get there or not is a different matter

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't want Gon to come back because we're gonna get sidetracked yet again from Leorio's time to shine as the protagonist, darnit. :argh:

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 30, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He'll be back because of Hisoka and the narrator stuff.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there might be an epilogue or something where he talks to some of the other chars

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is anyone surprised Gon is gon

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoa I forgot Killua ever became a hunter. For some reason I thought he just never tried again

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's easy to forget because he got it by default by knocking literally everyone out at the very start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Eej posted:

It's easy to forget because he got it by default by knocking literally everyone out at the very start

Including the Pot guy, rip