Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

sexpig by night posted:

how long is the dwelling on how horrifically evil the cops are vs laughing at mr "I WILL GIVE YOU WARRIOR TRAINING" being such a freak? I just need to know if this is a cheer up episode or a wallow in being depressed over how fascist this country is one

In the latter half they talk about Trump's fight with Twitter and there's some levity, but it's a grim-rear end episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sean Bean is cool

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ketchup vs catsup posted:

but man, the Sand Snakes were loving gorgeous.

Gorgeously terrible, maybe. Their choreography was atrocious. Also, how am I supposed to respect them when they can't even afford a full beach tent.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Dorne stuff was the first time I thought “oh they’re really skimping on stuff now.”.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They had a fork in the road where they had the budget to do either Dorne or expand the Iron Islands stuff, and boy did they make the wrong choice.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Atlanta protesters are loving up the CNN HQ

as well they should :colbert:

PLEEAASSSSE do Fox HQ next? Please? :unsmith:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
stop loving posting

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

stop loving posting

fuk u

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

stop loving posting

im sorry, i'll try to keep politics out of the thread about a political podcast :v:

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

3. It came out after the Harry Potter series ended and gave people their fantasy genre fix in between the disappointing Hobbit movies.
speaking of things that sucked so bad they immediately fell out of the collective unconscious...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I still can't believe they turned Thorin and company into a loving soccer team.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Race Realists posted:

im sorry, i'll try to keep politics out of the thread about a political podcast :v:

there are so many threads about politics, why do you have to post here in the one about a podcast

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

T. Bombastus posted:

speaking of things that sucked so bad they immediately fell out of the collective unconscious...

One thing I can offer to this is the simple fact that nerd conventions are places where people come to talk about cult movies from 45 years ago and defunct zines from the 90’s, but the GoT fandom literally disintegrated a free S8. There are no GoT actors on panels, there are no lines to have Tyrion Lannister sign your plastic goblet, if the literal actual throne itself ends up at Comic Con it just sits in a booth and maybe someone sits in it by accident to tie their shoes.

What I’m saying is that unlike basically any other big budget fantasy property, the fandom really did seemingly scatter as soon as it was over, and I can’t think of a single other fantasy property to have really done that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It’s because normies loved it and don’t have the same intrinsic level of investment as diehard fantasy fans so it was easier to gently caress off and forget about it and watch the walking dead or w.e other show instead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It’s because normies loved it and don’t have the same intrinsic level of investment as diehard fantasy fans so it was easier to gently caress off and forget about it and watch the walking dead or w.e other show instead

then why do "normies" still love Harry Potter? If forgetting about something as soon as it was over was an intrinsic "normie" traits, explain the enduring popularity of Harry Potter

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Gripweed posted:

then why do "normies" still love Harry Potter? If forgetting about something as soon as it was over was an intrinsic "normie" traits, explain the enduring popularity of Harry Potter

Could be that people grew up reading the books or read the books to/with their kids or whatever. Or could be that, from what I understand, the Harry Potter universe is a lot more fun than the Game of Thrones universe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Could be that people grew up reading the books or read the books to/with their kids or whatever. Or could be that, from what I understand, the Harry Potter universe is a lot more fun than the Game of Thrones universe.

People will always want to find their inner child again or revert back to a more innocent or comfortable time, plus you can share it with kids of your own. You can’t do that so much with a fantasy that combines political machinations with tons of rape and murder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah except Harry Potter was at its core about Wizard Fascists trying to do a Holocaust and also slavery is still legal even with the GOOD wizards in charge and also minorities are forced to pick their names or physical traits out of a handbook for racist caricatures that they give aging British boomers. Those books are almost entirely remembered fondly by Warren supporters who identify Hermione as their “spirit animal” and view her as the ultimate Millenial girlboss avatar but they are in fact absolutely complete poo poo (1 and 3 are actually kinda good, the rest just don’t make any sense)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

T. Bombastus posted:

New Zealand took a sledgehammer to their film unions to get these made there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Those books are almost entirely remembered fondly by Warren supporters who identify Hermione as their “spirit animal” and view her as the ultimate Millenial girlboss avatar but they are in fact absolutely complete poo poo (1 and 3 are actually kinda good, the rest just don’t make any sense)

In other words, normies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

New Zealand took a sledgehammer to their film unions to get these made there.

what did jackson threaten to film the entire series in queensland

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah except Harry Potter was at its core about Wizard Fascists trying to do a Holocaust and also slavery is still legal even with the GOOD wizards in charge and also minorities are forced to pick their names or physical traits out of a handbook for racist caricatures that they give aging British boomers. Those books are almost entirely remembered fondly by Warren supporters who identify Hermione as their “spirit animal” and view her as the ultimate Millenial girlboss avatar but they are in fact absolutely complete poo poo (1 and 3 are actually kinda good, the rest just don’t make any sense)

they are still books for children as opposed to the rape books mentioned above

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao Jesus Christ they literally call it the Hobbit Law

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

learn more about the hobbit law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gripweed posted:

Because Harry Potter sucks less than GoT and allows escapism. GoT is all about hard people (mostly men) making hard choices and the ending is poo poo. Potter, for all it's faults holds out the hope that things can be better, like Lord of the rings/Trek/Star Wars or whatever. GoT says that the best the world can do is not change at all, it's much more reactionary than Potter. NB Potter is poo poo and I'm not defending it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bust Rodd posted:

All of this is true and it's still less poo poo than GoT.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah except Harry Potter was at its core about Wizard Fascists trying to do a Holocaust and also slavery is still legal even with the GOOD wizards in charge and also minorities are forced to pick their names or physical traits out of a handbook for racist caricatures that they give aging British boomers.
Star Wars is about colonialism, racism, slavery, and how liberalism is the left wing of fascism, but the aesthetics are sanitized for a mass audience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
having only seen the first 3 seasons of GoT, it seems to actually be about a group of people walking in one long very big circle for like 2 years and constantly being so confused that no one else seems to have stayed where you left them.

It’s kinda like any movie from the 80s or 90s whose entire plot disintegrates if even one character had access to a cell phone.

Halloween Jack posted:

Star Wars is about colonialism, racism, slavery, and how liberalism is the left wing of fascism, but the aesthetics are sanitized for a mass audience.
This is all true and SW still beats the absolute pants off Harry Potter

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Harry Potter entered the public consciousness as books for children, GoT entered as a TV show for adults (if you knew about ASOIAF before this, you were what is known in common parlance as a "nerd"). People attach themselves to things a lot more rigorously in childhood, especially formative media experiences like books and movies and TV. But unlike something like Teletubbies, "young adult" themes and content are relatable to children having those experiences and adults who have lived those experiences, so it's in a spot that an infantilized culture overall never truly grows out of, allowing it to be popular forever. Harry Potter is an especially good comparison because even the writer coming out as a "TERF" hasn't killed enthusiasm for her work the way the GoT finale did for the rest of that series. For these reasons I think it's a lot easier for people (adults) to decouple themselves from something that objectively sucks; also I don't think at any point that the HP books sucked in the same way GoT ended (the author did the bad thing, but the bad thing was not the books- art vs. artist mindset in play).

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Woah, forgot this was the Chapo thread.

I like Matt's streams, as far as a show with no plot, no characters and no schedule, and is just extemporaneous tangents you could do a lot worse. Overall review: you do not, in fact, "hate to see it"

I dunno why people complain about it because it's literally inconsequential and whether or not to consume it as media should be an easy choice without harping on it. I guess hatewatching is a thing but there's good stuff to watch so idk?

fake edit: maybe the evil neighbour is a character, not sure if that counts

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

if the literal actual throne itself ends up at Comic Con it just sits in a booth and maybe someone sits in it by accident to tie their shoes.

Or not be able to tie them in any human fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcOOt7ESCk

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Grown men still having a weird performative hatred of Harry Potter over a decade after the series ended is just the dumbest thing, it's like a man in his 30s still going out of his way to call Justin Bieber a gay girl and talk about how they only watch the first episode of American Idol for the failed auditions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Grown men still having a weird performative hatred of Harry Potter over a decade after the series ended is just the dumbest thing, it's like a man in his 30s still going out of his way to call Justin Bieber a gay girl and talk about how they only watch the first episode of American Idol for the failed auditions.

I think Harry Potter is fine. I enjoyed all the books and movies in my adolescence. But man is it loving grim to see people listing their Hogwarts houses in their dating app bios and stuff like that. It would be like if I called myself a Pokemon trainer. It's also like the only reference point liberals can ever muster for political analogies and this is a thread about a podcast that makes fun of those people.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I have met people who genuinely thought Harry Potter would eventually be considered a classic in the annals of litterature, it was only a matter of time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

It could also just be because they are insipid, racist books written by a genuinely trash person who continues to be trash oh about once a month or so.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hakkesshu posted:

It could also just be because they are insipid, racist books written by a genuinely trash person who continues to be trash oh about once a month or so.

I want to shoot Barney the Dinosaur with a sniper rifle! because he is for BABIES!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you want a vision of the future of the dirtbag left imagine a middle-aged man whose entire frame of reference is anime, video games, and Dune poring over JK Rowling's Twitter feed to spill the hottest tea about how she's problematic - forever.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

The Kingfish posted:

I want to shoot Barney the Dinosaur with a sniper rifle! because he is for BABIES!!

If barney was terf I'd shoot him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

If you want a vision of the future of the dirtbag left imagine a middle-aged man whose entire frame of reference is anime, video games, and Dune poring over JK Rowling's Twitter feed to spill the hottest tea about how she's problematic - forever.

People are mad at JK Rowling right now because she's revealed herself to be intensely transphobic and is threatening legal action against people for calling her transphobic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Real baby brains in thread trying to act like a billionaire transphobe should be allowed to live in peace