Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh god, I forgot about poor DEATH Yama-san. She's gonna get repackaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

When is GLOW back on? I like GLOW

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Senerio posted:

Hey so in the TEW game we drafted ASUKA and thanks to Asuka it's hard to find recommended matches from her. I've seen stuff with her before but not enough to comfortably write matches for her. Does anyone have match recs for her stuff?

Rutube forcing everyone to complete a questionnaire in Russian to see the videos has made it harder to find her best stuff but here's some stuff I liked

Asuka vs. Nanae Takahashi - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/kkuDfwKOGAjsRBtdY01

Asuka & Hana Kimura vs. Miyuki Takase & SAKI -
https://youtu.be/M4KwAVrK1i0

Asuka vs. Yuji Hino -
https://youtu.be/El00Z6W6AUI

Asuka vs. Hikaru Sato -
https://youtu.be/HJhNaNrF7Uo

Asuka vs. Mei Suruga -
https://youtu.be/ogtscTQa2Pk

Her match with Arisa Nakajima from SEAdLINNNG and her match with Hana from W1 are among my favourites but I can't find any uploads that aren't on rutube. If you have Wrestle Universe it's worth finding her match with Konosuke Takeshita too.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

coconono posted:

oh god, I forgot about poor DEATH Yama-san. She's gonna get repackaged.

I was gonna say they'll just let her go back to Kaori Yoneyama, but I dunno if that fits the Tokyo Cyber Squad vibe - but then I started wondering what, if anything, they're going to do with TCS now in the first place, since the whole TCS brand seems so inextricably linked to Hana and her post-OT persona.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Johnny Landmine posted:

I was gonna say they'll just let her go back to Kaori Yoneyama, but I dunno if that fits the Tokyo Cyber Squad vibe - but then I started wondering what, if anything, they're going to do with TCS now in the first place, since the whole TCS brand seems so inextricably linked to Hana and her post-OT persona.

it'd be nice if they get the women out on excursion(if/when they're up for it), maybe dip on down to AEW's plague village(I will not shut up until AEW does a women's only show). Jungle Jack Perry and Jungle Kyona could have some amazing chemistry too.

I dug the DEATH gimmick because it was zero work for her. Should keep the ahegao part and drop the death part. ~Kairi nyaahhhhhhh~

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Maybe they give Kyona the stable and change the name.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Neodoomium posted:

Maybe they give Kyona the stable and change the name.

Like some sort of... Jungle Assault Nation.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
They could even keep the camo raver pants and say it's "jungle" as in drum & bass

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ragga jungle kyona

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I feel callous asking this, but where does Stardom go from here?

I realize these are two extreme situations (the pandemic and Hana's death), but I figured those of you more versed in joshi puro than me would have even a bit of insight as to how the office might move forward.

The keyword being "might".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Power Windows posted:

I realize these are two extreme situations (the pandemic and Hana's death), but I figured those of you more versed in joshi puro than me would have even a bit of insight as to how the office might move forward.

The keyword being "might".

They've got enough stuff to work with to make an entire tour. Possibly two. I expect Hana's sendoff to be a big deal with lots of feels.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I guess I'm not sure what the question is. they will probably do a tribute show of some kind and once bushiroad is comfortable running shows they will start up again

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if they do a tribute show before they start having fans at events they should fill the stands at korakuen with flower stands.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah no one's calling for the disbandment of Stardom, they just happened to have a main eventer pass away suddenly.

This is a first for joshi, I think?

For puro, there's NOAH, where Misawa died in ring. They're still running.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Super No Vacancy posted:

if they do a tribute show before they start having fans at events they should fill the stands at korakuen with flower stands.

I could easily see them doing a second goodbye show once fans are allowed back as well. Or maybe a memorial show one year on or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

I could easily see them doing a second goodbye show once fans are allowed back as well. Or maybe a memorial show one year on or something.

yeah, NOAH does a yearly Misawa tribute show, which is always full of feels. But that could just be me because I miss that gameboy playing violence lunatic.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Power Windows posted:

They've still got a bunch of hot acts. Mayu Iwatani, Utami Hayashishita, Momo Watanabe, Jungle Kyona (if they ever bother to pull the trigger on her) can all pull crowds and put on stellar matches. They've got a lot of great wrestlers for their midcard, like Konami, Natsu and. They've got an incredibly talented group that will come into their own in the next few years, including AZM and Starlight Kid. They're probably going to get Io and Kairi back in the next few years, if I had to guess.

They'll probably have to reorganize the factions. Tokyo Cyber Squad is too tied to Hana.

Especially with Bushiroad's backing, they're going to be fine. Itll absolutely be a weird time, but I dont have any doubt they'll be fine.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom's history is full of moments which feel like moments that should dramatically hurt the promotion and yet they get through anyway. In 2013 Yuzuki Aikawa; their home-grown company ace and top star; the person that Stardom was formed for and built around retired very early and yet they survived and began to build for the future: that's when Io Shirai started her first big long title run, you had Nanae Takahashi still there to fill out cards, Act Yasukawa was around etc etc.

In 2015 you had the Yoshiko/Act Yasukawa incident that not only resulted in them losing three of their big names (Yoshiko and Nanae Takahashi leaving to form SEAdLINNNG, Act Yasukawa retiring after a brief return) plus a bad incident that could have really affected their reputation but yet they had the talent to survive that: Io was still there, you had Mayu Iwatani and Kairi Hojo elevated to become main event level stars and they began to build up their roster.

In 2017 Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai were meant to leave at the same time and Mayu Iwatani got hurt around the same time but a bit of pure luck (Io failing her initial WWE medical) meant that she went back for another year and that gave them time to elevate Momo to a main event position plus you also had Kagetsu and Hana Kimura and Tam Nakano and others coming in at that time to again help build out the cards.

Io left in 2018 and there was talk of that really hurting and while it did in the short term it quickly didn't become a factor: Utami quickly debuted and they pushed her to the moon, Momo was in a prominent spot and ended up having a very good White Belt reign, Hana turned on Oedo Tai and went in her own direction and while it started rough it very quickly went in a much better direction; you had Kagetsu as World Champion doing some good stuff: and not only did they survive but by the middle of last year they were growing again. The story of Stardom is getting into these situations they appear tricky and ending up not only surviving but actually growing into a bigger promotion.

Now in 2020 they've lost four big names (Hazuki, Kagetsu, Arisa and Hana) in a very short period of time and it does look a bit rough for them. But they have a deep roster - Mayu is still there and is great; Momo was the other half of the main event of the biggest Stardom show in seven years; Utami is special, they've got a really talented group of rookies in the Sayas and Hoshino; I'm really curious where this Natsuko Tora-led Oedo Tai goes, Giulia has something special and I fully expect her to get to the top, there's still a lot there. They also have the Bushiroad money to help them grow plus it seems much better relations with the wider Joshi scene and therefore more access to freelance talent to help in a time like this. Every other Joshi promotion would really be struggling after that amount of bad news but Stardom is the best placed to get through it.

e: on the contrary I expect them to keep TCS for a fair while provided that the people in it are willing to carry on with it; there are some natural stories you could do there. They aren't going to hurry into redoing their factions because of the way that they are structured at the moment sort of works and trying to find a place for Kyona and Konami especially would be tricky. There are changes I expect long-term (if Momo, Utami and AZM all end up being important in the future of Stardom there'll be a split there for example) but its tricky to do in the short term.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 29, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They were just teasing another X addition to Giulia's stable on a show that was supposed to be today i think, too

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think like a poster above said they will give the faction to kyona and rename it. jungle assault squad is a good name for a faction. keeps squad as a nod to TCS and hana. a quick promo about how theyre called that because theyre gunning for all the titles and want to be the best. poo poo that comes off pure babyface in the moment but can be easily used to explain heel tactics to ensure they secure title victories.

please pull the trigger on kyona. my crops are dying

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can't bring back JAN unless Leo unretires :mad:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Here's an article about Yoshiko's sudden rise to TikTok fame. If they can get even one twentieth of her new fanbase to start coming to shows, SEAdLINNNG could go from barely making a profit on Korakuen shows to selling the place out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oh but seriously I posted:

When is GLOW back on? I like GLOW

I don't know what stage of filming they were at when the pandemic hit, or if they'd even started.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Thank you all very much for the responses. I've been getting more into puro, and I had only perfunctory knowledge of the joshi side of things. Hana's death hit me harder than I expected, and I feel like I did myself (and her, in an abstract way) a disservice by not paying more attention to her work, and Stardom as a whole, before. I'm signing up for Stardom World on the 1st. Her friends/colleagues seem like good folks and I wish them the best.

It's heartening to have a place to talk about these things without the usual internet dickheads ruining it. This is the best sub on this dead comedy forum.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

There's a Tokyo Sports article that I think is suggesting Hana wanted out of the show early but her own loving talent agency refused? And now that she's dead are trying to claim their contract expired in March?

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/entame/news/1876548/

I don't trust the translation software on this one, can someone give us the details?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Hana's friends say she told them she wanted to leave Terrace House around the end of 2019. WALK, the talent agency that handled Hana's non-wrestling appearances, weren't cooperative in getting her off the show, so she tried to end her contract with them. WALK's site says her contract with them terminated at the end of March, but they actually made the proceedings very difficult behind the scenes. Everyone lawyered up in April, but as of the time of Hana's death, she was still officially under contract to WALK.

The article mentions that Stardom wasn't able to get involved in her non-wrestling talent appearances, and without saying so directly, gives the impression they unsuccessfully tried to intercede on her behalf.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 30, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom's in kind of an interesting period right now because its going to transition from a more culty operation under Rossy's control and more structured like NJPW's organization. If you go back into the archives for the little gaijin shows they had going they'd let slip bits that poo poo was kinda crowded all the time. Working out who gets to sleep in the dojo's bed by seniority is kinda bleak. Esp compared to non-dojo gaijin in NJPW getting put up in a nice hotel.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thank you for the translation and insight!

In other horrible news,

Azusa Takigawa announced on her ameblog that she recently underwent surgery for pre-cervical cancer and is resting comfortably.

After she retired she stayed with TJPW as a PR employee. It was during one of the annual medical checkups the company does that they found it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Oh poo poo, I knew she'd had surgery but didn't know what for. (Though now that I've heard that, it seems like it could have been obvious that it was cancer-related, based on the experience she described on Instagram the other day.)

I still really miss Azusa (and especially Azusa Christie) in TJPW but it was always really cool seeing her still involved behind the scenes. I'm glad they caught it early and hope it doesn't develop fully into cancer and she recovers quickly.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 30, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It sounds like they caught it super early, but what they found had high odds to become serious so surgery was unavoidable.

I wasn't watching TJPW when she was active but I've seen a lot of her matches and promos through WrestleUniverse and she was fantastic. The press conference/public apology where she ends up just burying her face behind the bridal catalog in laughter is amazing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WALK is also Reika Saiki's agency.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Neodoomium posted:

I wasn't watching TJPW when she was active but I've seen a lot of her matches and promos through WrestleUniverse and she was fantastic. The press conference/public apology where she ends up just burying her face behind the bridal catalog in laughter is amazing.

I liked evil Misao as much as the next person, and her whole arc from the Jun Kasai match up until the return of Hyper Misao might be my favorite wrestling storyline ever, but as far as NEO Biishiki-gun itself goes, the Azusa Christie era is real hard to top.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 30, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Neodoomium posted:

It sounds like they caught it super early, but what they found had high odds to become serious so surgery was unavoidable.

Any idea roughly when this was? It was a little before my time too, and I didn't make it to far backwards in the archives because I was just watching old DDT

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WALK is also Reika Saiki's agency.

This agency doesn’t seem to be very good? Reika should be an international sensation. Easy sell.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm not sure if they had any say in her leaving TJPW to focus more on Wrestle-1 but in hindsight that is one of the worst moves you could have made at that point.

Although I sort of want her to go back for a longer run in AWG because I think that would be very, very good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

In the article about Hana, it says WALK only managed her non-wrestling endeavours. Not sure if it's the same for Reika because she's usually listed as W1/WALK affiliated in stuff like the wrestling directory and I've never seen any other wrestlers having their talent agency listed.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

RealFoxy posted:

Any idea roughly when this was? It was a little before my time too, and I didn't make it to far backwards in the archives because I was just watching old DDT

Here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OVGbkHH3Dg Skip to 10:00

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1266962106395447297?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daily Beast reported on Hana https://www.thedailybeast.com/japanese-wrestler-hana-kimura-wouldnt-bow-to-men-but-trolls-took-her-down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What were some of Hana's best matches?