Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ebola Roulette posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say maybe he had one of the regular rear end coronaviruses and the garbage covid antibody tests have cross reactivity to it. Or it's a false positive.

poo poo dude I'm sorry

Yeah, if this thing ripped through Congress without a single one of them having more than a mild case and not even a single hospitalization that would mean everything we know about it is wrong.

Like, I'd absolutely believe their access to medical care would help them all survive if they all did get sick but congress is basically an old folks home theres no way half of them wouldn't be intubated by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
LOL that Prester Jane was right, just about the wrong country.

Free Prester Jane.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

choice ny strip steak is $20/lb at my local restaurant depot. this is the wholesale price.

wow not even prime just choice

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, if this thing ripped through Congress without a single one of them having more than a mild case and not even a single hospitalization that would mean everything we know about it is wrong.

Like, I'd absolutely believe their access to medical care would help them all survive if they all did get sick but congress is basically an old folks home theres no way half of them wouldn't be intubated by now.

It's very likely there's a very expensive treatment for Coronavirus the public doesn't know about. The US government was certainly talking about having one ready by this time back in March.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 00:44 on May 30, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Meat prices seem to be all over the place. My local Ralphs only went up like 30-40% on steaks, Costco has zero steaks but their ground beef is up like 25%, and Restaurant Depot is double on all beef/steaks

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
https://mobile.twitter.com/ziwe/status/1266376619800682500?s=12

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

fatnoodlesfarting posted:

Northern Virginia here. Since someone asked to share experiences thought I would post :)

The pandemic has already "hit home" for our family, so to speak - my cousin (actually my mom's cousin but I grew up referring to him as "my" cousin) died in early April. He had Down's Syndrome and began suffering from early onset dementia this past year. His parents died a year ago and his brother's family was taking care of him but were struggling mightily and in January put him into a state home. The disease ripped through the home sometime in mid to late March and he ended up being rushed to the hospital with a high fever and breathing struggles. Apparently given the shortage of ventilators the hospital told the family that he wasn't eligible for one and he died alone, without any family with him, in the hospital.

It really pisses me off when the chuds or whoever brush off deaths like this, of older or weaker people, as not a big deal. What is particularly galling to me about this whole thing is that my cousin was passionately all about his family and the small little community in the rural town where they lived that cared for him. When he got sick no one was there to see him or help him. He was incredibly confused and devastated when his parents died and I can't imagine how he was feeling during this ordeal. Yes, he was going downhill with the dementia but this was a particularly cruel and unfair hand to be dealt at the end of his life. And now he has been dead for more than a month - a remembrance may happen sometime in the distant future, maybe not, but without any kind of funeral it feels like he just unceremoniously dropped off the face of the Earth. No kids to pass on his legacy, no celebration of his life, barely even a discussion of it except for some horrified phone calls and emails. Lack of face to face with anyone outside our immediate household is so bizarre.

Maybe thats why I had the urge to post this - it at least feels like I'm talking to someone, even strangers, acknowledging it outside of my immediate family and closest friends.

I live in a more distant suburb of Washington. My area is mostly Hispanic/African American and MOST of the people here are taking the pandemic pretty seriously still. I ran to the ABC today for some emergency essentials after not having been out at all for a few weeks and everyone in the store and around it were masked and distancing. The people who are NOT following the rules around here seem to be (surprise!) the older fatter white people with the expensive pick up trucks. I almost swerved off the road with shock when I saw the crappy Tex-Mex place frequented almost exclusively by the older white crowd jam packed, parking overflowing to an adjacent lot. Packed patio, no masks. Meanwhile, the dozens of other vastly superior Mexican places are still closed or take out only.

Notice the same difference with the grocery stores. The few times I have ventured out to our craphole Safeway I run into several older white men not distancing, not masked. Safeway in our area hasn't even bothered to ensure all their employees have masks or to enforce any kind of safety measures (a marked contrast from the Safeway in the wealthy area of the nearby city where I work). Our Safeway also has had shortages on almost everything. Contrast that with the Asian grocery store nearby in which they actually make sure people are wearing masks in the store, provide guidance for appropriate social distancing and my spouse was able to find paper towels and eggs there a few weeks ago!

People are really being squeezed in our area as costs have been rising for a while and pricing people out. They just shut down two trailer parks and people are fighting efforts to build low income housing nearby to make up for it. I think about 60% of kids at the local elementary are entitled for free lunches, I don't know what is being done to ensure these children are getting what they need. A lot of the local churches are doing food drives and there are big lines which is extremely depressing to see. Then we have the mansions and gated communities less than a mile away from some of these churches. I was once followed while driving through one of these neighborhoods by some weird vigilante and they are always the ones complaining on Next Door about every petty little thing - usually poop, noise and "those people" daring to go to the public parks near them or walking "suspiciously" near their property. Nowadays its the freedom-crushing horrors of being expected to wear masks around town. All while people are dying and there are food lines down the street. Seriously, gently caress these people.

Well, that's my little rant and sorry for the length. tldr: Sad family death. Annoyed by usual suspects around town not taking things seriously.

Condolences :( I'll remember your cousin

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

poo poo wrong thread

Reverend Dr has issued a correction as of 01:04 on May 30, 2020

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lambert posted:

It's very likely there's a very expensive treatment for Coronavirus the public doesn't know about. The US government was certainly talking about having one ready by this time back in March.

I assure you there are ideas of treatments of corona but nothing the rich have secret. Anything they are taking is experimental and probably not a good idea.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/JeffBernthal/status/1266509051699044352?s=20

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

lmao

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

BrownieMinusEye posted:

I assure you there are ideas of treatments of corona but nothing the rich have secret. Anything they are taking is experimental and probably not a good idea.

can we convince them to take more experimental treatments, the wilder and more untested the better

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Shima Honnou posted:

can we convince them to take more experimental treatments, the wilder and more untested the better

look, trump is doing his best, i don't think we can really add anything to his efforts on that front

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The funniest corona video is still the one with that blonde chick with the weird voice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fits my needs posted:

pittsburgh is the paris of appalachia

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao “this was impossible to foresee says only country that opens ‘er up during a plague”

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Honoring the fallen of ww1 by dying of pneumonia

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

etalian posted:

The funniest corona video is still the one with that blonde chick with the weird voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXURg4dEQ0g

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

i think about this dude all the time

hope he’s ok

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

diarrhea,

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
shady gators
lazy gators

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised he didn't hit up coconuts or the horny toad

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Failson posted:

LOL that Prester Jane was right, just about the wrong country.

Free Prester Jane.

nah

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Drinking for 6+ hours at Shady Gators and backwater Jack's, definitely not poo poo hole places in the middle of Arkansas

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lambert posted:

I'm sure that the super rich and powerful have access to better care and have a much better chance of survival but I don't believe that type of thing would keep them out of the hospital. It would get out of it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lambert posted:

there's certain IL-6 inhibitors that seem work, but are very expensive and rare so it's not a standard treatment

its not a magical cure where they'll be suddenly saved

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Mmm I'm not so sure. Who's the sickest member of Congress? They are all in ostensibly good health, no?

Donald Trump isn't really sick sick, either. Sure he eats like poo poo but Im gonna assume they keep his blood pressure/sugar controlled. Boris Johnson was in the "ITU" but that could have just been an observational thing for a head of state.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Someone else here said being a human piece of poo poo makes you immune and this is further proof. The virus only kills good people.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Mmm I'm not so sure. Who's the sickest member of Congress? They are all in ostensibly good health, no?

Lots of people in great health have died from this. Many more have been hospitalized for long periods. I don't personally know people who have died but I do know a couple of people with 'mild' cases and it still knocked them on their rear end for a while. No one in congress has even been knocked on their rear end for a while.

Senators will get excellent medical care and are very unlikely to leave the hospital is a casket because of Covid but there isn't any prophylactic treatment available that would keep them out of said hospital no matter how much money they have.

If this went through a bunch of 70 year old senators and none of them even needed bed rest then the chuds are right and it's just the flu, Bro.

The chuds are not right.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 03:40 on May 30, 2020

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://tounesnanews.com/2020/05/28/lake-of-the-ozarks-bar-owner-defends-his-wild-memorial-day-weekend-party-amid-covid-19-pandemic/
A Lake of the Ozarks bar owner who hosted a wild Memorial Day Weekend party is defending the event, saying no laws were broken because failure to observe social distancing ‘is not a crime’.

Gary Prewett, who runs Backwater Jack’s Bar and Grill in Osage Beach, Missouri, took to Facebook Tuesday – three days after his establishment held a ‘Zero Ducks Given’ party, where revelers squeezed into a pool and flouted social distancing guidelines.

Photos from Saturday’s event sparked widespread outrage, but Prewett insisted individuals had a right to attend the event, before explaining that he conducted non-contact temperature checks and provided bottles of hand sanitizer to keep party-goers safe.

‘We understand that there are many emotions and feelings involved on every side of the pandemic situation… [but] we stand by our decision to move forward with Memorial Day Weekend plans,’ Prewett wrote.

‘We love our customers and will continue to do our best to provide delicious food, drink, and entertainment’.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Thinking about getting malaria to use up my 500 hydroxychloroquine tablets

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

https://tounesnanews.com/2020/05/28/lake-of-the-ozarks-bar-owner-defends-his-wild-memorial-day-weekend-party-amid-covid-19-pandemic/
A Lake of the Ozarks bar owner who hosted a wild Memorial Day Weekend party is defending the event, saying no laws were broken because failure to observe social distancing ‘is not a crime’.

Gary Prewett, who runs Backwater Jack’s Bar and Grill in Osage Beach, Missouri, took to Facebook Tuesday – three days after his establishment held a ‘Zero Ducks Given’ party, where revelers squeezed into a pool and flouted social distancing guidelines.

Photos from Saturday’s event sparked widespread outrage, but Prewett insisted individuals had a right to attend the event, before explaining that he conducted non-contact temperature checks and provided bottles of hand sanitizer to keep party-goers safe.

‘We understand that there are many emotions and feelings involved on every side of the pandemic situation… [but] we stand by our decision to move forward with Memorial Day Weekend plans,’ Prewett wrote.

‘We love our customers and will continue to do our best to provide delicious food, drink, and entertainment’.

imagine the smell

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

From the moment the invaders arrived, breathed our air, ate and drank, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of TRUMP's weapons and devices had failed, by the smelliest creatures that God in his wisdom put upon this earth.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

New York has found a way to avoid getting the roni. Have the police beat you to death first.

https://twitter.com/benFranklin2018/status/1266527034496430080

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Inceltown posted:

New York has found a way to avoid getting the roni. Have the police beat you to death first.

holy poo poo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/1266548561891799040

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thesaurus posted:

Love to spend six hours sitting in a human piss pot

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

run up with scissors and snip them off

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

run up with scissors and snip them off

that's a tasin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Thoguh posted:

Weren't TWIV speculating that Remdesivir might work quite well if given early enough in the infection? The trouble being that regular slobs don't get tested until the symptoms are present, at which point the virus has progressed more or less as far as it can and the rest of the damage is being done by your immune system.

I would guess that rich politicians have pretty much unlimited testing at their disposal and would know the second they contract it.