Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I really think VR for games would be better if they hosed off with the motion controls. First off, it's lovely as hell for people that physically can't make use of them. Second, I want to play games to relax and not have to drink by putting a cup to my face. It's neat the first few times, but a menu would do fine afterwards. Visuals are VR's biggest strength and need to play to that.

E: uh, accessibility consideration snype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

the argument is that big budget games will be prohibitively expensive to develop for VR even if the hardware had a large installation base.

part of the problem is that you have fewer ways to fake it in VR; game dev has always been about hiding everything that's holding the illusion of the game world together just barely off screen. but in an immersive simulation, you have less blind spots for the player and more live variables. you can no longer go "well it looks real but it's just a microscopically tiny NPC wearing a giant hat in the shape of a train car. you can't actually interact with it"; you just have to make an actual train car that you can interact with OR ELSE.

Right, so for the foreseeable future, generally big VR titles will be mostly "cross-platform" from standard peripherals if they go to it at all, i.e. the Skyrim model.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

big VR titles

I did NOT read this correctly the first time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

The market for those remains strong

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's a good thing they're so buoyant or vr would be sunk for another twenty years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

VR rocks, the weird tribalism both for and against VR is odd though, like, to me it's a gaming peripheral.
It's like getting all bent out of shape because someone owns a racing steering wheel :lol:

How loving dare you like / not like a particular gaming accessory :argh:

How loving dare you have an opinion on something :argh:

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

d3lness posted:

I really think VR for games would be better if they hosed off with the motion controls. First off, it's lovely as hell for people that physically can't make use of them. Second, I want to play games to relax and not have to drink by putting a cup to my face. It's neat the first few times, but a menu would do fine afterwards. Visuals are VR's biggest strength and need to play to that.

E: uh, accessibility consideration snype?

I had the same thought playing the alien isolation VR mod. In it motion was limited to head tracking, and you could rotate your character with a mouse. I didn't miss the more fancy room scale or motion features at all, at least not in the context of a slower paced, walking-sim horror game. Though to be fair I'm not sure how mouse based rotating would work in a faster paced game, might be vomit inducing.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 28, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chomp8645 posted:

Looking forward to GTA4 in VR!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im reading about drakengard and nier after reading somewhere that theyre weird games or something. man this sounds hosed up, not in a "memorable subversion of expectations" kind of way, just crass and gross and creepy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

yeah i'm conflicted because AR is neat and like some ridiculous yu-gi-oh style card games or whatever would probably be fun but at the same time like i won't even touch the new edition of Mansions of Madness because i don't want to be loving with a tablet while i'm trying to roll dice and play with cardboard chits

You're missing out, the tablet features are really good. It doesn't replace dice rolling or chit collection, it just takes the place of the story keeper (which is a boring, thankless job anyway imo)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shibawanko posted:

im reading about drakengard and nier after reading somewhere that theyre weird games or something. man this sounds hosed up, not in a "memorable subversion of expectations" kind of way, just crass and gross and creepy

Drakengard’s grossness is mostly in mid-fight callouts like Dynasty Warriors, except instead of your captain yelling to hold the line or whatever, she threatens to eat someone’s children.

It’s a weird fuckin game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

my unpopular opinion: oddjob in goldeneye was NOT overpowered, all you have to do is aim down a bit and you get all headshots on him. get better, loser.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rutibex posted:

as a person who loves board games specifically because they allow me to escape technology for an hour i am disgusted by this video. just play a video game, don't ruin board games :(

I'll give VR/AR board games a shot, but half the fun of board games is the social aspect, the physical feel of tiny tchotkes in your hand, throwing dice and having them fall under the table, etc.

Also: They are CHEAP. Even very complex games (other than Warhammer) are usually in the 20-100 dollar range.

I don't want to call it a "gimmick" because ultimately tech always wins, but this is way too early to catch on.

edit: I remember a time around 20 years back, board games were "dead" thanks to Playstation and Nintendo coming out with their amazing 16 bit consoles
edit: poo poo it was 25 years ago

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

piratepilates posted:

my unpopular opinion: oddjob in goldeneye was NOT overpowered, all you have to do is aim down a bit and you get all headshots on him. get better, loser.

In instance that a thing is overpowered among scrubs but underpowered among pros, the reputation will always be that it is overpowered.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My big issue with tablet app supplements to board games is I can still whip out my old copy ofaxis and allies however many years later, but all these new ones with software integration will eventually stop being capable of being played on modern tech.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think its funny that the only thing that could cause Valve to actually make a real video game for once was trying to sell their crazy expensive peripheral device. Its like they were forced at gunpoint by the marketing department or something. Gabe really doesn't wanna make real video games, he thinks its too much effort and doesn't pay off enough compared to steam or whatever. Especially single player games where he can't shill a million microtransactions for years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

My big issue with tablet app supplements to board games is I can still whip out my old copy ofaxis and allies however many years later, but all these new ones with software integration will eventually stop being capable of being played on modern tech.

:tinfoil:
that that point, boardgame planned obsolescence.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Drakengard’s grossness is mostly in mid-fight callouts like Dynasty Warriors, except instead of your captain yelling to hold the line or whatever, she threatens to eat someone’s children.

It’s a weird fuckin game.

Is that the one where you recruit a blind monk who runs an orphanage and he seems like a cool dude but then it turns out he's a pedophile?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

my other main hobby is going for walks so it seems expensive to me

Dude, have you seen the prices on Birkenstocks? :boom:

{Sorry I was late with this response. I've been sick. :( }

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lodin posted:

Is that the one where you recruit a blind monk who runs an orphanage and he seems like a cool dude but then it turns out he's a pedophile?

Yyyyyup! Also your main character is mute from selling his soul to a dragon and is in competition with his sister’s beau to see who gets to be with her, but she ends up sacrificing herself to save the world, which doesn’t even work, so nobody wins.

And then it gets even worse in the other four endings!

Drakengard is basically a critical look at the Dynasty Warriors mass murder style of gameplay where the creator said “well what kind of hosed up sociopathic assholes would actually do this without regrets and call themselves the heroes?”

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, dian wei's whole claim to fame is that he straight up killed a thousand warriors and that it took an army of archers to finally take him down. it was a feat so famous that they wrote him into a book, where dudes singlehandedly kill hundreds or thousands of soldiers, though mostly it's a recounting of their boring, bureaucratic lives. and sometimes they throw their infant sons into a wall etc

like if you make a video game out of such a source material and you DON'T mow down dozens of enemy soldiers in a single swing then your game either sucks or it's a strategy sim. i'm not really sure what you're expecting out of that, or what your alternative is for adapting the punch-mans parts of san goku shi

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

You can just emulate the older hardware, at worst. In fact you can already do that if you want to run the app on a PC or whatever

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lodin posted:

Similar things happen in almost every game in the franchise.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

both the super mario bros super show live action and animated sequences, including the zelda ones, are canon and the miyamoto stuff is just nonsense trying to smooth over the fact that theyre plumbers from brooklyn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Drakengard specifically has enemies who are child soldiers, and one weapon that you can only by seeking out and killing every single one of them

Of course, given your party includes an unrepentant child killer, a pedophile, and a cannibal child eater, maybe it's the perfect team for dealing with the giant evil babies that begin eating the world

Also the most insane ending is the one that leads into NiER.

Dewgy posted:

Yyyyyup! Also your main character is mute from selling his soul to a dragon and is in competition with his sister’s beau to see who gets to be with her, but she ends up sacrificing herself to save the world, which doesn’t even work, so nobody wins.

And then it gets even worse in the other four endings!

Drakengard is basically a critical look at the Dynasty Warriors mass murder style of gameplay where the creator said “well what kind of hosed up sociopathic assholes would actually do this without regrets and call themselves the heroes?”

I mostly know the games from The Dark Id's LPs and do get the impression Caim is really only in love with murder, and maybe has a bit of a thing for the dragon

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I'm remembering correctly, the sister commits suicide because Caim is grossed out when he realises how she feels about him.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i actually fired up HZD last night because my internet went down and I needed to wind down from watching protest streams and sleep, and passed the part that had me so tripped up in 2017 with zero issues at all

so uh now I need to remember what the hell is going on, haha

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Metro Exodus is on sale right now, is it any good? I really liked the first two games but seeing "open world" and "survival" in the description worries me that they hosed with the formula and ruined it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Metro Exodus is on sale right now, is it any good? I really liked the first two games but seeing "open world" and "survival" in the description worries me that they hosed with the formula and ruined it.

yes it's great

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The White Dragon posted:

i mean, dian wei's whole claim to fame is that he straight up killed a thousand warriors and that it took an army of archers to finally take him down. it was a feat so famous that they wrote him into a book, where dudes singlehandedly kill hundreds or thousands of soldiers, though mostly it's a recounting of their boring, bureaucratic lives. and sometimes they throw their infant sons into a wall etc

like if you make a video game out of such a source material and you DON'T mow down dozens of enemy soldiers in a single swing then your game either sucks or it's a strategy sim. i'm not really sure what you're expecting out of that, or what your alternative is for adapting the punch-mans parts of san goku shi

hmmm yes perhaps i should consider that the dude who ate a woman who was murdered by her husband because he needed meat for the visiting famous guy was not in any way an example of how hosed up the world he lived in was yes yes exactly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dewgy posted:

hmmm yes perhaps i should consider that the dude who ate a woman who was murdered by her husband because he needed meat for the visiting famous guy was not in any way an example of how hosed up the world he lived in was yes yes exactly

well i can't see that being a very interesting gameplay segment but you do you, make the game of your dreams

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Whats the best modern musou game? don't say Hyrule Warriors, I wanna be a japanese guy or chinese guy

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Caesar Saladin posted:

Whats the best modern musou game? don't say Hyrule Warriors, I wanna be a japanese guy or chinese guy

Warriors Orochi 3

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unpopular but Sunless Sea had a great gameplay loop because it rewarded exploration and investigation and being a cool pirate, but basically punished you if you just wanted to be a dumb merchant. I know that this is true because thousands of insufferable idiots went online to complain about how much time they wasted just trying to eek out an existence by shuttling goods around while trying to avoid combat with living icebergs and ships captained by giant eye-eating spiders.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

pirate warriors 3

not pirate warriors 4

pirate warriors 2 was really cool too because it had like what-if modes and poo poo, but of course it's completely outdated now because i think it ends at marineford

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

skyrim is way the gently caress better than oblivion, lmao, have you even fired oblivion up this decade

I've played through oblivion a couple times. Many of the sidequests are so immersive it's impressive (guild stuff being a good example, but plenty beyond that). I've never finished skyrim, it's probably a better game in terms of gameplay itself (I mean it was hugely popular for a reason) but it doesn't feel like it has the same charm. For me moving gameplay really bad to just bad but taking unique storytelling from great to mediocre was not a good trade. Leveling system was abysmally bad though, I dunno why they keep loving it up so much in basically all their games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I know it's mostly because they both draw from the same style of 90s cartoons, but I suddenly wonder if ToeJam and Earl would make a great Spongebob game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

duke nukem forever sucked but itd still be cool to get a proper duke game, it would just have to be a very unusual type of FPS with a special engine, maybe something focused on environmental destruction and gibbing, kinda like red faction's engine. should also have lots of minigames and secrets and weird poo poo because what made duke3d good wasnt the fighting but all of the details and secrets.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shibawanko posted:

duke nukem forever sucked but itd still be cool to get a proper duke game, it would just have to be a very unusual type of FPS with a special engine, maybe something focused on environmental destruction and gibbing, kinda like red faction's engine. should also have lots of minigames and secrets and weird poo poo because what made duke3d good wasnt the fighting but all of the details and secrets.

so basically Red Faction + SoF but with Duke Nukem talking poo poo the entire time

I would play the gently caress out of that

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

so basically Red Faction + SoF

I would play the gently caress out of that

i think to do the game justice the engine should be able to do things like squash enemies between doors, like you could do in duke3d, and have them form a nice sticky string of guts when you open the door again. one of the problems of dnforever was that it was a generic ragdoll shooter, ragdolling sucks and enemies should explode when you kill them. it should do this while still being comical though and id rather not see the killable strippers from the original game again. i also think they should make duke bi because that would suit him