Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Samovar posted:

What was it that the Cyclops said? I couldn't catch it.

"You're the best captain (on the planet) and I'm not even squidding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, with the Degasi audio logs showing that the habitats address people by their name, I must assume Riley actually does now hold the rank of captain (by virtue of the entire rest of the crew being dead).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Apparently my question about punching giant ghost fish in the teeth was appropriately timed...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Interestingly, if you follow the Aurora survivor "storyline" and investigate each distress call, after a few of them, you get a radio transmission that, judging by the information we gain from the Research Facility, are coming from the Warpers.

The radio transmissions are creepy enough without context, but once you figure out what the Warpers are doing, it's a real :stare: moment.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Wow, you parked the Queen Bee in pretty much exactly the wrong place. I'm impressed you made it out with your life and both vehicles intact. "Just gonna disembark the Prawn and murder this Ghost and aaaaaaaaa loooong way down"

The fact that the Prawn survived dropping ~400m below crush depth speaks for how drat tough the thing is. The Seamoth crumples like a soda can very quickly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And suddenly I'm not sure what place I stumbled upon a while ago that was pretty much guarded by an Amp eel. For all I know it was another cache or something since I didn't have a purple tablet with me to check it out. And now I can't remember where I found it either. :doh: Because it was definitely not anywhere near the lost river or anything.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Some Numbers posted:

Interestingly, if you follow the Aurora survivor "storyline" and investigate each distress call, after a few of them, you get a radio transmission that, judging by the information we gain from the Research Facility, are coming from the Warpers.

The radio transmissions are creepy enough without context, but once you figure out what the Warpers are doing, it's a real :stare: moment.

They're definitely pretty intelligent. They're eerily designed in so many ways.
Though I can't recall what transmission you mean, I'm assuming it's just some weird warning.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Probably the one that say, in essence "Tracked targets: One". Because it's you. You are the last remaining person they do not have killed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I can't link to the Warper page on the wiki because of unmarked spoilers. But here's the audio from the three radio messages:

Sent to your radio the first time you enter the Mountains biome

Sent to your radio the first time you enter the Deep Grand Reef

Sent to your radio the first time you enter a specific subzone of the Lost River

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

IMJack posted:

Wow, you parked the Queen Bee in pretty much exactly the wrong place. I'm impressed you made it out with your life and both vehicles intact. "Just gonna disembark the Prawn and murder this Ghost and aaaaaaaaa loooong way down"

The fact that the Prawn survived dropping ~400m below crush depth speaks for how drat tough the thing is. The Seamoth crumples like a soda can very quickly.

He parked it in exactly the right place: Right on top of a node of the last material....and then was in too much of a murderous rage to grab a few pieces for later.
:eng99:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Those sound like they could be touched up to be comprehendible, particularly that last one. Wonder if it's meant to be.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Gonna call it, lil' spooky deserved it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

He parked it in exactly the right place: Right on top of a node of the last material....and then was in too much of a murderous rage to grab a few pieces for later.
:eng99:

In his defense he was in a bit of a hurry to climb out from crush depth, and the extra time spent harvesting a few pieces might be too long for the Prawn.

when you might spend a minute drilling a single node to get two loving pieces what is this Monster Hunter

too bad it's not Monster Hunter, imagine what you could carve out of lil' spooky's corpse

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Did you not get a scan of Lil' Ghosty after you KOed it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IMJack posted:

too bad it's not Monster Hunter, imagine what you could carve out of lil' spooky's corpse

you'd need at least eight kills to actually make anything

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That hole! I fell in it myself once while on an expedition for nickle. I had walked my Prawn all the way from my main base, so no Cyclops. And I never found the grapple arm. At least I had the depth module, but it was pretty much impossible to get out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, now there's just one more type of Leviathan to kill, stuff and put on the mantelpiece.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 29, 2020

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So ignore this if this is going off into spoilers territory, but did we ever find out why the Aurora came past the planet looking for the Degassi survivors if this place was an infected hell hole? (Did they even know about the virus?).

Apologies if this has already been explained in the game, my memory is awful.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Zip! posted:

So ignore this if this is going off into spoilers territory, but did we ever find out why the Aurora came past the planet looking for the Degassi survivors if this place was an infected hell hole? (Did they even know about the virus?).

Apologies if this has already been explained in the game, my memory is awful.

Presumably they didn't know about the virus, only that this system was next on the list for the Aurora to build a phasegate (presumably some sort of B5 jumpgate) and a ship had been lost hereabouts. There's a note in one of the PDAs that Alterra are diplomatically wooing the Degassi's home nation just now and it would win them brownie points to recover the wreck and any survivors.

Nobody was expecting a giant loving surface to orbit laser.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

EponymousMrYar posted:

By popular demand posted:

The drill is the only realistic way to kill stuff and it still takes so long as to be unsatisfying, you just learn to content yourself with scaring them away and calling them names.

The drill is weaker than both the Prawn's punch and your basic knife. The Thermo Knife is roughly equivalent to the Prawn Punch if only because you can swing it way faster than you can punch.

Both still take multiple minutes of punching/flailing to kill anything you want to kill though.

You can kill anything in the game in 30 seconds using the stasis rifle and enough gas pods.

It's still usually easier to chase leviathans away than to kill them. However, unlike the OP I never bothered to try and live in peace with the crabsquids -- they are much more soft than the other large fauna, and so it's usually much easier to just stab them to death than it is to try to avoid their attacks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I mentioned that I haven't yet recorded the last video. It's something I'm going to do once all the rest of the LP has been posted because I want you guys' input on what to record!

Obviously the end of the story and the credits will be in the video. But this game has a lot of weird and cool stuff to show off. I want to make the final video a compilation of that sort of stuff. So to that end...

What would you like me to show off for the final video?

EDIT: The next three videos are pretty much just the endgame stuff. So going ever deeper and exploring the game's lore and story as presented by the environmental scans. Also bugs too because the floor in alien structures decided to turn semi-solid while I was recording.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

you haven't honked the Cyclops horn yet, except in fast-forward

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

stick floaters to various things

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: The next three videos are pretty much just the endgame stuff. So going ever deeper and exploring the game's lore and story as presented by the environmental scans. Also bugs too because the floor in alien structures decided to turn semi-solid while I was recording.

I ran into something quite similar when I took a Prawn through an alien teleporter. Either the floor was very deep or my character was suddenly very short.

One suggestion: Show what happens when the Cyclops is destroyed. You don't have to save the game with it destroyed.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

you haven't honked the Cyclops horn yet, except in fast-forward

This. Honk at everything that can be honked at.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Do show off all the other interesting fish. There's at least one you still need to get closer to.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Presumably they didn't know about the virus, only that this system was next on the list for the Aurora to build a phasegate (presumably some sort of B5 jumpgate) and a ship had been lost hereabouts. There's a note in one of the PDAs that Alterra are diplomatically wooing the Degassi's home nation just now and it would win them brownie points to recover the wreck and any survivors.

Nobody was expecting a giant loving surface to orbit laser.

Yeah, basically they didn't expect to find anything, but Alterra is part of an alliance with the Mongolian States, where the Degrassi is from. They used the charter to say 'Hey, you're sending a ship out to this area of space? We lost contact with a ship around this planet. Go check for survivors while you're there." The Aurora didn't expect to find anyone, but they agreed to do a scan of the planet while they were there just to play nice politically.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!

Tenebrais posted:

Do show off all the other interesting fish. There's at least one you still need to get closer to.

It's your primary directive to swim closer.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Was anyone else disappointed you couldn't get a baby reaper? I ended up feeling mega guilty when I found out the fish don't respawn so I made a mega base with 3 level containment tanks for every species to captive breed them and release them (it takes about as long as you'd expect) but I never got to raise some babby screamyfish.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tuna-Fish posted:

You can kill anything in the game in 30 seconds using the stasis rifle and enough gas pods.

That's not including the time it takes to gather those gas pods. Also pretty sure that method only works once (because you'll run out of gas pods in inventory) for most big critters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Use the Repulsion Cannon on some leviathans, including the one we haven't seen yet.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
You should befriend a Stalker and have a sharkdolphin buddy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Punch one of every kind of fish.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't know if you have shown of my favorite creepy fish in the game, the Mesmer.... swim closer to this beautiful fiiiisssshhhhhh........

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I know you haven't shown my favorite fish: The Gary. The dumbest and most useless of all fish.

This actually made me really wonder, like, who is writing all these data entries and naming all these species? Is it the Degrassi survivors? Because you get these scans and their journal entries long before you get any information from them. The only conclusion I could draw is that it's your character who is writing all of this based on his scanned data. Which is why the Gary really amused me. I just imagined that he had some coworker he couldn't stand, so he found the, dumbest, most worthless fish and named it Gary.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gothsheep posted:

I know you haven't shown my favorite fish: The Gary. The dumbest and most useless of all fish.

This actually made me really wonder, like, who is writing all these data entries and naming all these species? Is it the Degrassi survivors? Because you get these scans and their journal entries long before you get any information from them. The only conclusion I could draw is that it's your character who is writing all of this based on his scanned data. Which is why the Gary really amused me. I just imagined that he had some coworker he couldn't stand, so he found the, dumbest, most worthless fish and named it Gary.

I always assumed it was the datapad's AI doing the write-ups.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Attach floaters to a leviathan.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can your habitat be destroyed by Leviathans?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Show off the Super Seaglide, provided that glitch hasn't been patched out.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can your habitat be destroyed by Leviathans?

No, habitats are immune to all damage. The only thing that can mess with them is if you run out of durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Use the Repulsion cannon on the Sea Moth.
Use the Repulsion cannon on the Cyclops.
Use the Repulsion cannon on E V E R T H I N G.