Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

C-Euro posted:

Honestly that makes me feel a little better now lol, so thank you. I thought the taunts about the world-ending attack were a sign that I had almost killed the boss so I thought "I better just finish him off, I think I can hurt him quickly enough to do it". Guess I'll look for that safe zone next time!

Do you want a hint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you tell us anything about Gravelord?

Not without DG slapping me for leaks! All I can say is that if you liked Deathknight you should also like this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razakai posted:

Not without DG slapping me for leaks! All I can say is that if you liked Deathknight you should also like this.

that was in fact my main question

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yami Fenrir posted:

Do you want a hint?

I mean the boss says "I'm tearing apart reality, except for that one square over there which you should just ignore" so I assume there was a square off in the corner somewhere that was safe. Truth be told I started to look for it, then decided to take my shot and try to kill him, and had I stuck with running away I might have lived.

I know there was that portal to go back to the Overworld right next to the boss, but I thought it despawned when he began the charge-up for that attack. Did it actually stick around?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Lawman 0 posted:

Also I was wondering if anyone wants to consider playing the june nethack tournament?
https://junethack.net/

Page back, but I always play Junethack anyhow, if there's a clan going for goons, send me an invite, same username as here.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Playing ToME again. Sure, having to submit a math paper on every item I pick up is draining, but the content,

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

C-Euro posted:

I mean the boss says "I'm tearing apart reality, except for that one square over there which you should just ignore" so I assume there was a square off in the corner somewhere that was safe. Truth be told I started to look for it, then decided to take my shot and try to kill him, and had I stuck with running away I might have lived.

I know there was that portal to go back to the Overworld right next to the boss, but I thought it despawned when he began the charge-up for that attack. Did it actually stick around?

Dungeonmans final boss spoiler below.
The portal IS the safe spot. It's not a portal, but a shield. I was actually thinking of a different attack - the one you avoid by having enemies frozen by the boss and then using them as cover.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yami Fenrir posted:

Dungeonmans final boss spoiler below.
The portal IS the safe spot. It's not a portal, but a shield. I was actually thinking of a different attack - the one you avoid by having enemies frozen by the boss and then using them as cover.

Oh motherfucker, I was right there. At least I (hopefully) won't gently caress up next time. I did at least figure out ducking behind cover for that other attack, I'm guessing that probably hurts a lot too.

Rolled a Bannermans for my new guy because I wanted to try out the polearm skills and because I knew the ghost of my previous character would teach me one of the Banner skill trees. I'm rolling thus far but man I miss all of the ranged and movement abilities for the archery and medium armor trees...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Reached level 20 for the first time ever in Tome4, with a Shadowblade build (adventurer mode). A few minutes after hitting level 20 went "I am on my last life anyhow with this character, why not jump into this ominous looking temporal portal?"
As predicted, I died fast after that.......but the Blood of Life brought me back.

Right now I'm leaping through temporal portals like Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap and enjoying every second I have left in Tome4 with this character.

e: died for the final FINAL time to my Chronolich Clone + Chronolich Twin

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 30, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that was in fact my main question

Though just so people don't get the wrong idea, it's nowhere near a 1:1 port - you might see a few familiar bits, but I'm keeping Deathknight as it's own addon thing. This should hopefully evoke similar themes, but with a more modern design.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

quantumfoam posted:

Reached level 20 for the first time ever in Tome4, with a Shadowblade build (adventurer mode). A few minutes after hitting level 20 went "I am on my last life anyhow with this character, why not jump into this ominous looking temporal portal?"
As predicted, I died fast after that.......but the Blood of Life brought me back.

Right now I'm leaping through temporal portals like Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap and enjoying every second I have left in Tome4 with this character.

e: died for the final FINAL time to my Chronolich Clone + Chronolich Twin

That is a hard fight, but you were about to unlock a fun class!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Yup.
Since I didn't mention it before, running a clean Tome4 install with no mods & ASCII graphics (with colored backgrounds).
Absolute lack of ranged combat & being extremely squishy to ranged combat once out of stealth-mode are the mega-drawbacks to a Tome4 Shadowblade.
Could have done a few things differently in that final FINAL fight.
Points in dirty fighting talent tree vs less points in stealth-backstab-enhanced shadow damage, or doing a 4th infusion slot or paying to unlock basic archery/ranged combat competency, etc.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 30, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Any spiritual successors to Liberal Crime Squad anybody is aware of?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shadowblade was also the first class I made any headway with in TOME and I have no idea how since that class is hard as hell to play.

I'm currently in the east with a cultist of entropy and I really love this class. It was pretty hard to figure out how I should be playing it but it clicked once I had all the abilities online. I enjoy debuffing the hell out of everything and passively summoning tons of poo poo. Also it helps that it has the coolest looking set of skills I've seen so far.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

Yup.
Since I didn't mention it before, running a clean Tome4 install with no mods & ASCII graphics (with colored backgrounds).
Absolute lack of ranged combat & being extremely squishy to ranged combat once out of stealth-mode are the mega-drawbacks to a Tome4 Shadowblade.
Could have done a few things differently in that final FINAL fight.
Points in dirty fighting talent tree vs less points in stealth-backstab-enhanced shadow damage, or doing a 4th infusion slot or paying to unlock basic archery/ranged combat competency, etc.

do the inscription thing instead of buying archery

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

MMF Freeway posted:

Shadowblade was also the first class I made any headway with in TOME and I have no idea how since that class is hard as hell to play.

I'm currently in the east with a cultist of entropy and I really love this class. It was pretty hard to figure out how I should be playing it but it clicked once I had all the abilities online. I enjoy debuffing the hell out of everything and passively summoning tons of poo poo. Also it helps that it has the coolest looking set of skills I've seen so far.
Same here, I think the payoff of playing tactically is so obvious with a shadowblade that it promotes some good habits.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So I'm playing ToME4 for the first time and I gotta know - is there a way to highlight items on the ground in some way? Everything is very muddy and kind of blends together and I have fairly poor eyesight.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Oldstench posted:

So I'm playing ToME4 for the first time and I gotta know - is there a way to highlight items on the ground in some way? Everything is very muddy and kind of blends together and I have fairly poor eyesight.

Don't all the items end up in a list when you leave the map? Or you mean like if you see something and want to use it right then in the map you found it in?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Don't all the items end up in a list when you leave the map? Or you mean like if you see something and want to use it right then in the map you found it in?

Yeah - like someway to highlight them on the map or make the graphics less muddy and dark or remove the clouds obscuring everything - something. Anything.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Lawman 0 posted:

Also I was wondering if anyone wants to consider playing the june nethack tournament?
https://junethack.net/

junethack starts in an hour so I went ahead and made a clan since it seems no one else did it and invited you and wolfechu. New on the docket this year appears to be 3.7.0, which I guess is the current dev version, and the return of slash'em and whatever gnollhack is. I had one nethack4 ascension last year, maybe I'll try and get a slash'em one this year

e: apparently some servers actually make it possible to play supported nethack variants in browser with tiles now?? wild

fits fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 31, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fits posted:

junethack starts in an hour so I went ahead and made a clan since it seems no one else did it and invited you and wolfechu. New on the docket this year appears to be 3.7.0, which I guess is the current dev version, and the return of slash'em and whatever gnollhack is. I had one nethack4 ascension last year, maybe I'll try and get a slash'em one this year

e: apparently some servers actually make it possible to play supported nethack variants in browser with tiles now?? wild

Cool

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Go old school and use ASCII graphics mode. And use "Z" to autoexplore/auto pickup items on the map

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oldstench posted:

just press the autoexplore key to automatically hoover up all items, never ever actually pick anything up manually

note: for some unbelievably stupid reason this isn't true for literally the first 10ish minutes you play the game, because in order to automatically pick up items like this you need to unlock the Transmogrification Chest by killing the boss at the end of the first area you start in. This is very easy and after the first time you do it you will automatically start with a transmogrification chest in all subsequent games, meaning that you will never ever have to actually pick anything up or pay attention to items on the ground ever again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wait so does that mean we lose out nethack saves?
gently caress!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Yeah, Hardfought.org has had that for a year or so. I don't tend to use it because I'm so used to ASCII.

I do tend to play on hardfought though. No slight to NAO, but HF has most of the forks running as well instead of just Vanilla, so if I feel like playing UnNethack or Evilhack or Slash'EM or whatever, it's all in one place.

They also tend to be slightly ahead of NAO on vanilla, using the latest github code, so their 'main' instance is currently 3.7dev instead of 3.6.whatever

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The real problem with NAO is I can't find my logs from, like, 2006 or whenever I last played the game.

I can still see my Crawl stats on CAO though, including the fact that I apparently have several wins with halfling necromancers for some ungodly reason.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

They should be there, I've got them going back to like 2005. If you used the same username throughout, you should be able to take this link and switch out my username for yours - I believe it's case sensitive, mind.

https://alt.org/nethack/player-all.php?player=Wolfechu

E: I also recommend https://scoreboard.xd.cm/ over using NAO's scoreboards, as it tracks games over pretty much every server and variant, and the layout is very reminiscent of the DCSS scoreboards.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 1, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I gotta finish up this loving valk.
Gehennom is a loving slog, even though I'm halfway through it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I gotta finish up this loving valk.
Gehennom is a loving slog, even though I'm halfway through it.

For the record I'm a level 20 valk twoweaponing Excalibur and a silver spear with like 5 amulets of life saving including the one I'm wearing with full sdsm and gear. The only thing I'm really missing is a good helmet because I don't know what they really should use. Anything I should make sure I got on my checklist before I go up to the planes?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

For the record I'm a level 20 valk twoweaponing Excalibur and a silver spear with like 5 amulets of life saving including the one I'm wearing with full sdsm and gear. The only thing I'm really missing is a good helmet because I don't know what they really should use. Anything I should make sure I got on my checklist before I go up to the planes?

Honestly, with a valk, just get any helm and enchant it up. ESP is handy, but Brilliance is fairly pointless, you are not gonna be casting spells.

Have a source of levitation and free action, because the plane of air is going to suck hard otherwise.

And I assume you know to bring 4 scrolls of gold detection, and a means to confuse yourself, usually a forgotten spell.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Go old school and use ASCII graphics mode. And use "Z" to autoexplore/auto pickup items on the map

I very well might have to. "Z" wasn't working until...

cock hero flux posted:

just press the autoexplore key to automatically hoover up all items, never ever actually pick anything up manually

note: for some unbelievably stupid reason this isn't true for literally the first 10ish minutes you play the game, because in order to automatically pick up items like this you need to unlock the Transmogrification Chest by killing the boss at the end of the first area you start in. This is very easy and after the first time you do it you will automatically start with a transmogrification chest in all subsequent games, meaning that you will never ever have to actually pick anything up or pay attention to items on the ground ever again.

I got the transmog chest. This isn't explained anywhere that I could find but I eventually figured it out. Not a huge fan of the presentation so far. Hopefully I'll get more used to it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

ToME is not a pretty game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It has a kind of amateurish look that eventually becomes endearing imo but the splash screens are some johnny fiveaces poo poo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I saw two people post a little about this but i got I, Dracula: Genesis on release day and have since unlocked 2/3 characters you can unlock and beat the first two universes. The game has a lot going on, you get two special abilities, a "special weapon" and 4 regular weapons including your starting weapon. IMO it's the best twinstick roguelite since isaac and probably deserves it's own thread at least as much as enter the gungeon. The game is still in beta i think, they update it a lot but i've never noticed a change, but we're talking about a game with no wiki so i barely know what's going on with it. Anyways the games good and you should get it. There's a doom minigame you can find that switches you into first person mode and it looks like poo poo and it's awesome. I'm still seeing new bosses and enemies. I very much recommend this game although it is still kind of janky. With some polish on it they would definitely be on a very high level as far as roguelites are concerned.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used the OldRPG tileset for years but that got discontinued and broke as revisions went on and I've kinda learned to love the default TOME art.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

MMF Freeway posted:

It has a kind of amateurish look that eventually becomes endearing imo but the splash screens are some johnny fiveaces poo poo

after looking at the splash screens for 600 hours, they've got the point where I'm convinced they're actually awesome. I need to find out who drew them so I can get them to airbrush a picture on my van.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is there a solid beginners guide for Caves of Qud? The handful I've found with google all seem out of date or incomplete.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The Fool posted:

Is there a solid beginners guide for Caves of Qud? The handful I've found with google all seem out of date or incomplete.

Someone will weigh in shortly I'm sure, but there's also a dedicated Qud thread.

Basic advice I'd give is Use Sprint to flee from anything that seems a bit iffy. That will increase your survivability by itself.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Any spiritual successors to Liberal Crime Squad anybody is aware of?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290690/Tonight_We_Riot/

Tonight We Riot matches the theme, I doubt anyone's gone down the LCS gameplay rabbit hole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

I saw two people post a little about this but i got I, Dracula: Genesis on release day and have since unlocked 2/3 characters you can unlock and beat the first two universes. The game has a lot going on, you get two special abilities, a "special weapon" and 4 regular weapons including your starting weapon. IMO it's the best twinstick roguelite since isaac and probably deserves it's own thread at least as much as enter the gungeon. The game is still in beta i think, they update it a lot but i've never noticed a change, but we're talking about a game with no wiki so i barely know what's going on with it. Anyways the games good and you should get it. There's a doom minigame you can find that switches you into first person mode and it looks like poo poo and it's awesome. I'm still seeing new bosses and enemies. I very much recommend this game although it is still kind of janky. With some polish on it they would definitely be on a very high level as far as roguelites are concerned.

I got and tried this out today...Dunno how to feel about it. Something about the controls feels not super precise to me, especially the aim. Has alot of interesting stuff in it though but it's also really opaque.