Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sephiroth just kind of tosses the materia in one hand while he's talking and Cloud is trying to pay attention but he just can't stop following that sweet, sweet, loot with his eyes, until eventually Sephiroth just gets fed up and tosses it, and after Cloud's done fetching the materia like a dog, Sephiroth is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Sephiroth just kind of tosses the materia in one hand while he's talking and Cloud is trying to pay attention but he just can't stop following that sweet, sweet, loot with his eyes, until eventually Sephiroth just gets fed up and tosses it, and after Cloud's done fetching the materia like a dog, Sephiroth is gone.

The backflip was imperative for proper inertia I take it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was thinking the other day, they may be a bit further with part 2 than we thought, at least in terms of assets, because both Malboros and Bombs are disc one enemies, and Marlboros only show up right before Aeris death scene, I think.

Or is that right before cloud falls into the livestream, crap now I can't remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I was thinking the other day, they may be a bit further with part 2 than we thought, at least in terms of assets, because both Malboros and Bombs are disc one enemies, and Marlboros only show up right before Aeris death scene, I think.

Or is that right before cloud falls into the livestream, crap now I can't remember.

I think it's more that they were iconic enemies so they wanted to include them early because otherwise Midgar has a very small enemy pool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was thinking, since u fight Sephiroth at the end, maybe this IS the whole remake

:thunk:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

You first meet Marlboros on Gaea's Cliff, so after Aerith dies.

Also I hope they keep in meeting The Turks in Wutai and them getting pissed off because they're supposed to be after Corneo but really they just want to chill and get drunk instead in the game.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

precision posted:

I was thinking, since u fight Sephiroth at the end, maybe this IS the whole remake

:thunk:

Better not be. I want a playable Red XIII

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Asema posted:

There's a lot here, and there's no way that I can do it justice but Emet is legitimately my favorite villain in all of FF and it's because they shape it up in a way where He's right/just in doing what he's attempting to do, and when you finally overcome him and pave the way for a future without what he's attempting to do, he doesn't scream like a little bitch and cry over being defeated, instead he just kinda kneels down, nods his head, and says

"Remember us. Remember that we once lived."

and it just hits extremely hard because there isn't a way to look at what he was hoping to accomplish without feeling like you were the bad guy for stopping him.

Also the voice acting is top notch and this scene is super up there so watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXeNI5s_M0

and here's the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanNDeedNrY

again watch at your own risk these are massive spoiler videos

The voice acting and writing of Ff14 absolutely make up for the game having the production quality of a PS2 game sometimes

*Nods* *Punches Palm*

I played SHB right after FF7R and it was crazy how much better The writing was and how much worse that part was. I love them both in different ways

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

precision posted:

You know, I bet that in the next game, in the Brave New World where poo poo Be hosed Yo, the Turks will end up on your side to such an extent that there will be a section where you play as Rude, Reno and Elena on some mission to help

At least, I hope so

The Turks are mass murdering assholes. I would not shed a tear if all of them died horribly in a Tifa/Barret chapter titled: Vengeance.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Proteus Jones posted:

The Turks are mass murdering assholes. I would not shed a tear if all of them died horribly in a Tifa/Barret chapter titled: Vengeance.

Considering how they're treated in Advent Children, I highly doubt that will be the case.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And in the original game.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

precision posted:

Sephiroth Omega (the one from the future that we meet in this game) is actually far more goofy

Definitely. If anything, he got started on being a goofy troll way earlier than in the original game.

Rand Brittain posted:

You know, even if that scene is unaltered, it WOULD fit into the other scenes where other people give Cloud materia, huh?

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 30, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

They're literal heroes in Before Crisis. Even though that game is told from Shinra's perspective, AVALANCHE are unambiguously the villains.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That'll be very hard to swallow I think and undermine any future attempts to have characters take things seriously so I hope they don't try and redeem them or make them into the comic relief guys they sound like they were in the original (been so long since I played it that I can't really remember too much of the latter half of the game).

They need to have a convincing reason in universe for Barret, Tifa and Cloud to not immediately try and kill Reno and Rude when they are next in vicinity, that can be overwhelming force or a worse threat to deal with at the moment but it should at best be a grudgingly "When this is done, we're taking you down" type thing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

That'll be very hard to swallow I think and undermine any future attempts to have characters take things seriously so I hope they don't try and redeem them or make them into the comic relief guys they sound like they were in the original (been so long since I played it that I can't really remember too much of the latter half of the game).

They need to have a convincing reason in universe for Barret, Tifa and Cloud to not immediately try and kill Reno and Rude when they are next in vicinity, that can be overwhelming force or a worse threat to deal with at the moment but it should at best be a grudgingly "When this is done, we're taking you down" type thing.

While I don't know how they're going to be portrayed going forward in the remake, in the original game after the events of Midgar The Turks are neither shown as a real threat to Cloud and co. or portrayed as comic relief. They have the same goal as the party in searching for Sephiroth (although for different reasons.)

Tseng's dialogue when you meet him wounded in the Temple of the Ancients suggests he knew Aerith was right all along, The Promised Land doesn't exist and Sephiroth is the bigger danger to the planet.

Even when The Turks have orders to find your party in Wutai they decide to let you go as they're "off duty", suggesting they have no real beef with you and are just following orders, something which throughout the entire Compilation of FFVII is their raison d'être.

By the time you go back to Midgar to stop Hojo The Turks know Shinra is finished and clearly don't care about fighting you. It's portrayed as a friendly rivalry more than anything, something which Advent Children leans into.

Yes, you can say they're mass murdering assholes for dropping the plate on Sector 7 but in the original it's outright stated that Avalanche bombing the reactor killed hundreds of innocent people too. Two wrongs don't make a right but both parties are in the wrong for their actions.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
More to the point, are we sure that the plate actually was dropped at all in the new timeline? Biggs is clearly alive and Jessie is implied to be as well, and there really is no loving way that they made it out alive originally even without the plot ghosts mandating that they die.

In fact, were it not for said plot ghosts then Cloud & co would have succeeded in stopping Shinra from dropping the plate in the remake, so if the ghosts are gone then that would imply that it never happened.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yes, you can say they're mass murdering assholes for dropping the plate on Sector 7 but in the original it's outright stated that Avalanche bombing the reactor killed hundreds of innocent people too. Two wrongs don't make a right but both parties are in the wrong for their actions.

That's quite a take. I mean for starters the goal of bombing the reactor wasn't to kill people, unlike dropping the plate.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Cerebral Bore posted:

More to the point, are we sure that the plate actually was dropped at all in the new timeline? Biggs is clearly alive and Jessie is implied to be as well, and there really is no loving way that they made it out alive originally even without the plot ghosts mandating that they die.

In fact, were it not for said plot ghosts then Cloud & co would have succeeded in stopping Shinra from dropping the plate in the remake, so if the ghosts are gone then that would imply that it never happened.

You still see the Sector 7 folks sifting through all the rubble in that same cutscene.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 30, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah dude, you loving GO there and see the plate down.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheLoser posted:

You still see the Sector 7 folks sifting through all the rubble in that same cutscene.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah dude, you loving GO there and see the plate down.

Since you mentioned it I went back and rewatched the sifting through the rubble cutscene, and to me it looks kinda ambiguous as the place looks far too cleaned up for it to be about the day after the plate dropped. Granted we don't know what other timeline fuckery has been going on, but still.

E: And granted, you see a shot of the sky with no plate but there are beams sticking out which would imply that this could actually be the Sector 6 slums.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Go to any chapter immediately after the plate falls and look up, my dude.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think they're suggesting that since your party changed fate, it retroactively stopped the plate from falling earlier in the game.

I doubt that's the case though. They probably would have made that more obvious if you changed something like that.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Wouldn’t Barret be dead if that’s how it worked?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I think they're suggesting that since your party changed fate, it retroactively stopped the plate from falling earlier in the game.

I doubt that's the case though. They probably would have made that more obvious if you changed something like that.

Yes, that's the point. As the game ends we're in a new timeline and it's unclear if the events in the game actually happened as they happened given that the plot ghosts would not be around.

Also there's so much deep galaxy brain poo poo in the remake that I wouldn't discount anything because it's supposedly too subtle at this point.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

For the sake of not having an aneurysm lets just assume the only thing that happened was the creation of an alternate timeline where Zack lived because going back piece by piece and examining where the whispers intervened is a fast trip into crazytown.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BaDandy posted:

He's GOTTA be at the Golden Saucer at some point.

Roche is going to break into the chocobo race where you're racing for your freedom and you and your chocobo are gonna have to beat him up while racing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

For the sake of not having an aneurysm lets just assume the only thing that happened was the creation of an alternate timeline where Zack lived because going back piece by piece and examining where the whispers intervened is a fast trip into crazytown.

You go on and do that. It's already too late for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The plate falling was just more believably done than the original - it crumbles and falls in pieces rather than dropping as one monolithic block.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Roche is going to break into the chocobo race where you're racing for your freedom and you and your chocobo are gonna have to beat him up while racing.

He then returns for another boss battle during the Battle Square bit when you need to get the Keystone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In the ending scene with the Sector 7 residents going through the rubble, the plate above them is confusing to me. It looks like the Sector 6 plate (partially constructed), but if that's the case, given the direction the camera pans up, the next plate over should be Sector 7, and that plate's intact. But also they're pulling the Seventh Heaven sign out of the rubble and that has to be in Sector 7.

I thought maybe there were parts of the plate that didn't fall, but that's clearly not the case because you can see it from above during Chapter 15 and it all fell.

I dunno, maybe it was a mistake? Because that's clearly the Sector 6 plate above them, that's what it looks like the entire game, but they're clearly in Sector 7. So I dunno :shrug:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

In the ending scene with the Sector 7 residents going through the rubble, the plate above them is confusing to me. It looks like the Sector 6 plate (partially constructed), but if that's the case, given the direction the camera pans up, the next plate over should be Sector 7, and that plate's intact. But also they're pulling the Seventh Heaven sign out of the rubble and that has to be in Sector 7.

I thought maybe there were parts of the plate that didn't fall, but that's clearly not the case because you can see it from above during Chapter 15 and it all fell.

I dunno, maybe it was a mistake? Because that's clearly the Sector 6 plate above them, that's what it looks like the entire game, but they're clearly in Sector 7. So I dunno :shrug:

That's what the plate looked like to me too, which leads me to believe that it's Sector 6 and not 7 on account that a sign is more movable than a section of the plate.

And even if the plate didn't fall there was still a full-scale military operation going on in the Sector 7 slums, so it's entirely possible that Seventh Heaven and part of the slums got blown the gently caress up anyway, which explains the refugee situation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the Biggs scene was also in the New Zack timeline, and in the next game you'll play in Midgar as Zack, Biggs and Roche

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I only finished the game a few days ago and was left feeling like I’d missed some key insights about the timeline/fate poo poo by taking over a month to play through it but now I’m realizing it just doesn’t really give any answers, does it? No one has any idea what any of it means.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

You go on and do that. It's already too late for me.

Same here. Crazy Town is fun. The KH crew run a monopoly though. If you want a decent house you have to sell your soul to Disney, and your body to Xehanort.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eggnogium posted:

I only finished the game a few days ago and was left feeling like I’d missed some key insights about the timeline/fate poo poo by taking over a month to play through it but now I’m realizing it just doesn’t really give any answers, does it? No one has any idea what any of it means.

Everything that happens in the remake happens, the old game is an echo of a future that now won't play out exactly the same as before, and ultimately it was an incredibly convoluted way of saying that they aren't beholden to the events of the original, and everyone is arguing about whether it's a genius narrative device or a bizarrely clunky move that needlessly complicates everything.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Everything that happens in the remake happens, the old game is an echo of a future that now won't play out exactly the same as before, and ultimately it was an incredibly convoluted way of saying that they aren't beholden to the events of the original, and everyone is arguing about whether it's a genius narrative device or a bizarrely clunky move that needlessly complicates everything.

It's impossible to say one way or another until the next chapter comes out and whether it lives up to fans very high expectations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If anyone wants a clue on how the next parts are going to play out, just watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, then watch the Rebuild movies. So far, it is just like that, only instead of Kaworu, we have Aerith.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
GET IN THE POOL SHINJI CLOUD

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

If anyone wants a clue on how the next parts are going to play out, just watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, then watch the Rebuild movies. So far, it is just like that, only instead of Kaworu, we have Aerith.

I am absolutely looking forward to Cloud saving Aerith and it accidentally destroying the world.

Also Tifa with an eyepatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
crystallized mako can't melt plate support pillars