Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smooth jazz posted:

#Buick

*pics of happy customers and salesmen*

yeah you sure uh owned those people who got a new car that i'm sure they like! wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Which was kinda jarring given Nissan itself was very much on a high with some quite drat good cars to drive, their I6's were amazing let alone it produced what is arguably the greatest car of the late 80's / early 90's, the R32 GT-R. I could probably name half a dozen cars and even 4WD's Nissan made at the same time that were more than just decent and better than the 300ZX even.

Recall that we didn't get the R32 GT-R in the States, and prior to Gran Turismo coming out, it wasn't a very well known car over here. So the 300ZX carried the torch for Nissan fans. It was also the first of the high-tech 90s Japanese sports cars to make it to market in the States, and it compared favorably to the contemporary C4, so it established a reputation before the IMO cooler Mk4 Supra and FD RX-7 arrived.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that is seriously the most off-putting thing, christ

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah you sure uh owned those people who got a new car that i'm sure they like! wow!

I was trying to find pics of the new Envision, which is us a copypaste of ths CX5.

Anyways, Buicks not dead, people are still buying Buicks.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

smooth jazz posted:

I was trying to find pics of the new Envision, which is us a copypaste of ths CX5.

Holy poo poo, it does remind me of the Cx-5

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32710839/2021-buick-envision-revealed/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As far as CUVs go that's actually pretty decent looking

( because it riffs on the CX-5 :v: )

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Agreed. It actually looks pretty good. I expected this husky looking thing with all sorts of chrome gills and portholes.
Good job copying Mazda's homework Buick! You did good!
Im actually interested to see the intior and trim levels. It said it has a HUD and Buicks usually have ventilated seats. Also AWD. If its 250hp or more, could be nice.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man that TLX. Might hold off on the G80 until I can test drive one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not going to survive the trade war lol

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Holy gently caress. Never thought that I’d like an Acura again. That car looks awesome.

The interior is an improvement too though still somehow looks dated but I can forgive that.

I wonder if the supplier of the drivetrain is the same one that supplies GM,Toyota, Mazda and Chrysler (old 200). A lot of nominally FWD sedans are now equipped with this clutch to send some power to the rear wheels sometimes so the OEM can equivocate it to a true AWD rear biased system like Xdrive, Quattro etc.

Last year we just had FWD Mazdas etc. Now it seems everyone is selling part time AWD with FWD biases.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 29, 2020

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm meh on the TLX. It's certainly an improvement for Acura and maybe I'll have a different opinion when I see it on the road but the pictures aren't doing much for me. The G80 on the other hand is gorgeous.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We were talking about CX5s some pages back and I can't get a lowered CX5 out of my head for some reason. It looks SO COOL.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PeterWeller posted:

Recall that we didn't get the R32 GT-R in the States, and prior to Gran Turismo coming out, it wasn't a very well known car over here. So the 300ZX carried the torch for Nissan fans. It was also the first of the high-tech 90s Japanese sports cars to make it to market in the States, and it compared favorably to the contemporary C4, so it established a reputation before the IMO cooler Mk4 Supra and FD RX-7 arrived.

But honestly thats kinda not what I was saying tho - my point was more on the lines of Nissan's "sports car" was pretty much a boring barge when their line up of other cars - yes even those in the USA - were more interesting and objectively better even outside of the R32 GT-R. We kinda forget that 90's Nissan was really good with all sorts of good vehicles.

Also that TLX..... I mean it certainly looks a drat sight better than the usual gaping maw garbage. I'm kinda on the bench for the moment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

See, I respect it and I think it looks great but the Z32 stole my heart when it came out. I was a teenager in the nineties and that was the one that I wanted. Not an old tin can Datsun but this beautiful twin turbo spaceship. I had posters of it on my wall. I had a model of it (along with a sweet Dodge Stealth and a WS6 Firebird). It's the one I want.

Oh, you're a broke-brained Gen Xer. Got it.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

KillHour posted:

Look it's not Automotive Sanity, lots of people here really love an old car model that wasn't great compared to its peers, much less a modern equivalent. Fortunately some of those people can relive 2002 by buying a new 370Z, others have to rely on some crazy person keeping one in a warehouse and then selling it on BaT.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

You probably also like something that's not widely acclaimed. Whether it's a band, a beer, or your girlfriend sometimes a brain just really gets grabbed by something most people turn their noses up at.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

You probably also like something that's not widely acclaimed. Whether it's a band, a beer, or your girlfriend sometimes a brain just really gets grabbed by something most people turn their noses up at.

I get it, I'm just being sarcastic. Love you guys. :love:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

I like Yuengling lager and grab a case every time I cross the border because they don’t sell it in Canada.
I also like weird offshoot Toyotas you can’t buy stateside. Like the Toyota Crown, Cressida or the Chaser.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kraftwerk posted:

I like Yuengling lager and grab a case every time I cross the border because they don’t sell it in Canada.
I also like weird offshoot Toyotas you can’t buy stateside. Like the Toyota Crown, Cressida or the Chaser.

Our mail lady drives a JDM crown wagon and I loving love it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Midjack posted:

I remember growing up and being ridiculed for liking Duran Duran :v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Come Undone slaps and ill not hear a bad word about it. Also lots of their other poo poo, but especially Come Undone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Remember when Duran Duran played at the ND Miata reveal and they were all drunk or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

Remember when Duran Duran played at the ND Miata reveal and they were all drunk or something?

Lol what. Never heard of that is there video?

I saw them live once in like '93, the place was packed with women and they were going crazy, I've never seen anything like it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lol what. Never heard of that is there video?

I saw them live once in like '93, the place was packed with women and they were going crazy, I've never seen anything like it

I watched some of the video, it's not as bad as I remember I guess. Duran Duran Miata will find it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

This isn't a new car since its been out for a while, but I was just informed that the upcharge engine in the Cadillac CT4, GM's 340i competitor, is...the 2.7l 4 cylinder from the base Silverado?

GM is so confusing

While I see the niche that the CT4-V is designed to slot into (A35 AMG, M235 Gran Coupe), I have no idea who would buy a warmed over ATS with a 4-cylinder truck motor that isn't a GM employee

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But honestly thats kinda not what I was saying tho - my point was more on the lines of Nissan's "sports car" was pretty much a boring barge when their line up of other cars - yes even those in the USA - were more interesting and objectively better even outside of the R32 GT-R. We kinda forget that 90's Nissan was really good with all sorts of good vehicles.

Also that TLX..... I mean it certainly looks a drat sight better than the usual gaping maw garbage. I'm kinda on the bench for the moment.

Yeah, I think we're talking past each other a bit. My point was that despite being pretty much a boring barge, the 300ZX was a halo car for Nissan in the States. It benefited from a fortunate combination of timing, technology, appearance, and impressive acceleration times (which were the only thing that mattered to most American enthusiasts at the time) that other, arguably better, Nissans of the time didn't enjoy. The 240SX was generally considered a "secretary's car" before people started swapping in SR20s. The SE-R never enjoyed more than niche popularity among auto journalists and the few buyers who saw it as a working man's sports sedan.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you look at Nissan Japan's range versus what we had in the states, well, no contest. The 300ZX was the fastest thing we got until the R35. Anything with a turbo SR wasn't sold here. Even worse, no RBs.

Anyway the TLX is the best looking Acura in a long time.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I think we're talking past each other a bit. My point was that despite being pretty much a boring barge, the 300ZX was a halo car for Nissan in the States. It benefited from a fortunate combination of timing, technology, appearance, and impressive acceleration times (which were the only thing that mattered to most American enthusiasts at the time) that other, arguably better, Nissans of the time didn't enjoy. The 240SX was generally considered a "secretary's car" before people started swapping in SR20s. The SE-R never enjoyed more than niche popularity among auto journalists and the few buyers who saw it as a working man's sports sedan.

I think people definitely don't remember how insanely forgettable the 240SX was originally in the states. It was just such an insult we didn't even get a pepped up (eg some higher lift cams) N/A SR20DE option like the SE-R, but hey it's Nissan USA of the 90s, the company that was happy being a distant third place behind Toyota/Honda.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

I think people definitely don't remember how insanely forgettable the 240SX was originally in the states. It was just such an insult we didn't even get a pepped up (eg some higher lift cams) N/A SR20DE option like the SE-R, but hey it's Nissan USA of the 90s, the company that was happy being a distant third place behind Toyota/Honda.

I remember when I came back from Japan in 93 I was like oh cool we have the Silvia over here too! I was all gung ho to get one for 2.2 seconds until I realized it was the truck motor only and was highly disappointed, so I ended up getting a AW11 MR2 instead, then later bought a brand new Suzuki Swift GT because I liked the Cultus in Japan.

Then years later when the drift scene picked up the 240 started getting popular, and people finally started putting in the motor that was supposed to be in it to begin with.

Looking back I should have tried harder to find a Corolla GTS, but even then they were pretty rare. In Japan it was so easy to get the good cars they were everywhere, then back in the states it was like what the gently caress.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Oh absolutely. For some reason the MK4 Supra never appealed to me (though the earlier ones did, especially the MK3, oddly enough). The NSX was cool but too supercar-ish. I saw 300ZXs in my hometown. I couldn't say that for either of the other two.

I like stupid nineties GT cars like the 300ZX and BMW 8-series and stuff like that, and super-eighties cars with crazy angles and pop-up headlights (which yeah I know the Z31 had those and I also like that car but not as much. They always seemed so cheap for some reason.)

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I, too, love the Z32 300ZX. Tried to buy one like 20 years ago but I was 20 years old with no credit history and shockingly nobody wanted to give me a loan to buy a twin turbo sports car. I ended up getting an S14 240SX which was fun even if it did have a boring truck engine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Also love the Z32 look. But today.... The chassis are all old and falling apart, and today's Nissan is... Today's Nissan. Until one of those two things change it's a no go.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Man the 850 is like peak 90s flip-light V12 loving sex and I love it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

The CEO is a Trump supporter so thanks for destroying (the middle part of North) America.

I too am in the 300zx camp but it's mainly because it was so useful in Gran Turismo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

Also love the Z32 look. But today.... The chassis are all old and falling apart, and today's Nissan is... Today's Nissan. Until one of those two things change it's a no go.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Z. Nissan can still probably make a good car they just choose not to.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wrar posted:

If you look at Nissan Japan's range versus what we had in the states, well, no contest. The 300ZX was the fastest thing we got until the R35. Anything with a turbo SR wasn't sold here. Even worse, no RBs.

The Z33 was a much faster vehicle in anything but a straight line. Probably faster in a straight line too most of the time given the TT Zs could never work properly for more than five minutes at a time.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Have any reviewers revisited the more recent models of the Kia Stinger and Genesis G70 to see how it’s held up over the last couple years? A friend of mine told me KIA is thinking of axing the stinger due to poor sales but I don’t have any proof.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

Have any reviewers revisited the more recent models of the Kia Stinger and Genesis G70 to see how it’s held up over the last couple years? A friend of mine told me KIA is thinking of axing the stinger due to poor sales but I don’t have any proof.
A bunch of car sites are reporting that the next gen Stinger will be all electric.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

An electric stinger with like ~250mi of range would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

It's still on first gen. It's only been out for ~2.5 years. Gen 1.5 is supposed to have mostly minor changes visually, but a pair of entirely new engines and a dual mode exhaust.