Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it is a bit bizarre how their way of proving that the public sector is incompetent and inefficient is to outsource their responsibilities to the private sector who then gently caress it up through incompetency and inefficiency

e: in 168 ad the antonine plague was loving up the romans, who presumably blamed the Parthians and their hosed up cuisine, e.g. "why can't they just eat dormice like normal people?"

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Except....9 times out of 10 when they hand it over to the revolving door companies, the performance gets even WORSE, which is no good for repeat business.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but you can blame that on the inefficiencies of the state and then the private company can just rebrand a year later.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jose posted:

living under the CCP seems a drat sight better than under the tories rn. as long as you're not muslim anyway

Heh you're like the people who tried to convince Ghandi that they had it tough when he visted that mill up north. People who don't live in the circumstances cannot conceive what they are like.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but you can blame that on the inefficiencies of the state and then the private company can just rebrand a year later.

And it adds levels of obfustication.

Old scenario: Government department of cake screws up the cake, gets blamed for screwing up the cake

New scenario: Serco screws up the cake, angry people confront DoC, who put Capita in charge of choosing the cake delivery company, who blame Serco, who outsourced their blame department to Virgin Blame. Cakeless public get bored and wander off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aramoro posted:

Heh you're like the people who tried to convince Ghandi that they had it tough when he visted that mill up north. People who don't live in the circumstances cannot conceive what they are like.

its true i've not lived in china but lots of goons have and they seem to think its alright. genuinely what authoritarian stuff do they have that we don't aside from the uyghur camps but its not like the UK government doesn't have its own camps? for that they get a proper response to a pandemic, functional and good public transport and a not completely hosed housing situation despite the insane population

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bobstar posted:

Old scenario: Government department of cake screws up the cake, gets blamed for screwing up the cake

New scenario: Serco screws up the cake, angry people confront DoC, who put Capita in charge of choosing the cake delivery company, who blame Serco, who outsourced their blame department to Virgin Blame. Cakeless public get bored and wander off

yeah, they literally just rotate between the... four? of them. Even when there's laws broken, company A gets banned from the contract for a year or two (they'll be back) and in the meantime company B takes over. Company A meanwhile is taking over a thing Company B got in trouble for, and so on

the "repeat customers" in this case are the government, and they're 100% cool with this. and you end up with these huge companies whose whole business is providing the functions of a state - transfer enough of those functions out of the public sector and into these companies, and now you have no real public structures to fall back on, and a handful of too-big-to-fail private companies you're completely reliant on

that's always been the end goal of privatisation - "oh no me, the government, me bad at running the thing. and I should know!! but private business, very good, they can run the thing instead" except these are more monolithic corporations that act as the state themselves, because a democratically elected government is bad at that you see, completely the wrong thing for the job

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cacilie_Blaas/status/1266691337321172992

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Winnie the pooh: Meme.

Winnie the pooh with a top hat: Même

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

What, no it doesn't. :psyduck:

If doctor A concludes that the bruising from the baton and the fall could not have caused the death, and doctor B concludes that via a series of intermediate steps it could, there is still agreement that ABH was sustained from the baton and the fall, even if there's no consensus on the cause of death.

Yes that line was quite clearly nonsense. If he was bruised where the baton struck, which he was, it's actual bodily harm. They're trying to confuse people over the charge of manslaughter, which I can see why didn't stick given the testimony from the original pathologist.

EDIT: As for 'why do Tories keep outsourcing stuff' I don't think there's any deeper meaning beyond turning as much public money as possible into private profit. Even if they don't benefit directly right now, they benefit via donations or walking into directorships or simply goodwill with the 'right kind of people'.

jabby fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 30, 2020

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jel Shaker posted:

They’re actual key workers frozen in that gold stuff they put Han Solo in btw

Carbonite, goodness me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I've never wanted to kiss a meme before but this is glorious

Talking of glorious, https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1266770928366575617?s=20

In 1944, while WW2 was still ongoing, the man who completely failed to address the Great Depression as President started writing a book that he didn't finish until after the Korean War. You see, he really resented FDR for not letting the poor all die for the sake of "freedom". Anyway, he died with the book unpublished & it was so loving insane that it took until 2011 for Freedom Betrayed to be released, 5 decades after Herbert Hoover's death. After reading the short excerpts on it here I know really want to read it for myself because ho boy. It's a bold man who come as close as this to saying "sure the Holocaust was bad but wouldn't it have been better if let the Soviets lose to the Nazis because my conception of freedom is only about rich people getting richer".

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jose posted:

its true i've not lived in china but lots of goons have and they seem to think its alright. genuinely what authoritarian stuff do they have that we don't aside from the uyghur camps but its not like the UK government doesn't have its own camps? for that they get a proper response to a pandemic, functional and good public transport and a not completely hosed housing situation despite the insane population

expatriates in the UK who only live in its rich cities whilst daytripping to tourist sites also tend to find life quite comfortable, FWIW

I'm going to ignore that camp comment because that comparison is just so unhinged I'm not sure where to start

Let's talk about public infrastructure instead. China remains a poor country on average - poorer than Mexico, if you need a familiar Western frame of reference. Public transport is lower tier cities remains shoddy and coverage is weak or nonexistent. Private ad-hoc minibuses remain the transitory glue as the country modernizes. Public transport is not built to serve existing neighbourhoods but is built as part of modernization, i.e., slum clearance for the burgeoning middle class - land sales and leases to private developers is a key mechanism for funding the additional infrastructure to begin with. For the urban working poor, being continually expelled to new urban periphery is the reality. Housing and homelessness are really bad problems, especially in the bigger cities, aggravated by the hukou permit system intended to slow internal migration (no eligibility for benefits for migrants, which may ring a familiar bell - and of course there are vast numbers of migrants due to rapid urbanization, estimates are opaque but perhaps a quarter to a third of the entire national workforce are (internal) migrant workers who are frequently not eligible for benefits or assorted protections. But residents in the wealthy east coast also see astronomical housing prices, in areas matching London, even though productivity (and wages) have not caught up and are several times less. Someone has to pay for all that shiny new infrastructure in the east.

again, China is a desperately poor country on average, and it would not be fair to compare it to level of accumulated public infrastructure a first-world country would be accustomed to, but both Chinese public transport and housing are terrible problems and picking only the Shanghai expat lifestyle as a frame of reference would be terribly misleading. The provinces fling generous resources making it less terrible on the assumption that, in almost all cases, it will pay for itself back (and capturing this future growth in the here and now through the privatisation of underlying land). Because it's so terrible - because there is so much low-hanging fruit - it's still probably going to be true as an assumption. The UK has neither those problems nor, for that matter, that solution on the table.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ronya posted:

expatriates in the UK who only live in its rich cities whilst daytripping to tourist sites also tend to find life quite comfortable, FWIW

I'm going to ignore that camp comment because that comparison is just so unhinged I'm not sure where to start

Let's talk about public infrastructure instead. China remains a poor country on average - poorer than Mexico, if you need a familiar Western frame of reference. Public transport is lower tier cities remains shoddy and coverage is weak or nonexistent. Private ad-hoc minibuses remain the transitory glue as the country modernizes. Public transport is not built to serve existing neighbourhoods but is built as part of modernization, i.e., slum clearance for the burgeoning middle class - land sales and leases to private developers is a key mechanism for funding the additional infrastructure to begin with. For the urban working poor, being continually expelled to new urban periphery is the reality. Housing and homelessness are really bad problems, especially in the bigger cities, aggravated by the hukou permit system intended to slow internal migration (no eligibility for benefits for migrants, which may ring a familiar bell - and of course there are vast numbers of migrants due to rapid urbanization, estimates are opaque but perhaps a quarter to a third of the entire national workforce are (internal) migrant workers who are frequently not eligible for benefits or assorted protections. But residents in the wealthy east coast also see astronomical housing prices, in areas matching London, even though productivity (and wages) have not caught up and are several times less.

again, China is a desperately poor country on average, and it would not be fair to compare it to level of accumulated public infrastructure a first-world country would be accustomed to, but both Chinese public transport and housing are terrible problems and picking only the Shanghai expat lifestyle as a frame of reference would be terribly misleading. The provinces fling generous resources making it less terrible on the assumption that, in almost all cases, it will pay for itself back (and capturing this future growth in the here and now through the privatisation of underlying land). Because it's so terrible - because there is so much low-hanging fruit - it's still probably going to be true as an assumption. The UK has neither those problems nor, for that matter, that solution on the table.

where was i ever talking about shanghai ro tier 1 cities? how does any of this talk about public transport being bad in lots of places actually matter for my comparison because its actually being built unlike the UK where its vanishing everywhere

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobstar posted:

DoC blames the previous Labour government who outsourced cake production to Virgin 15 years ago.

OwlFancier posted:

Winnie the pooh: Meme.

Winnie the pooh with a top hat: Même

The pun is incredible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the absolute state of blairites

https://twitter.com/MarkSeddon1962/status/1266689191271968769?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw that this morning and was vaguely confused why people were whingeing about labour because I thought it was another of johnson's relatives lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the guy whose office banned a chemical based on Sun headlines based on a prank, illegally because there was no veterinarian on the ACMD at the time, because the government attitude to Prof Nutt had caused them to resign in disgust, during washup, and then put the wrong structural isomer in the text so it all had to be re-written 18 months later.

So of course he thinks he's a public health expert.

The Royal Society should sponsor a team to laugh at him constantly whenever he's in public.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Second wave inbound!

https://twitter.com/joshualeokirby/status/1266775875288215552

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Jose posted:

where was i ever talking about shanghai ro tier 1 cities? how does any of this talk about public transport being bad in lots of places actually matter for my comparison because its actually being built unlike the UK where its vanishing everywhere

The UK lacks for places so starved of infrastructure that those places can promise 10-20% growth per annum if so invested in (remember, investment is only investment if it pays a return). 8% nationally pays for a lot. Exponential growth is a hell of a thing.

The wedge is so wide that the politics is easy to solve, too - when governments can pay farmers 1/100 of what they will get from private developers, it is really easy to spend some of that huge windfall revenue obtaining acquiescence from stakeholders.

The UK (like all first-world countries) has a much narrower window within which to operate. Costs are higher. Expected increases to revenue are much less. Stakeholders have many more veto points, as they do in democracies, and can demand more. The UK political class is certainly not showing itself effective at unpicking this problem, but it's important to appreciate that these are not the same class of problems. It's easier to grow a small number fast than to fine-tune an already-big number, so to speak.

A 'Chinese infrastructure solution' to the problem of... say, the North of England would be to depopulate most of it and herd people to one of the cities, let's say Manchester, and since New Greater Manchester would have a population of a tier two Chinese city, it could justify greater investment in its infrastructure. There you go, an infrastructure boom. But this would be hard to justify. A lot of the North is relatively unproductive and poor, but it's very much not Chinese rural countryside unproductive (or poor). Moving people in massive numbers is costly. Destroying communities is traumatic. The productivity of the New Greater Manchester, being already very high, would not be so much higher that it could pay for those costs. Instead the first world is fantastically rich and can afford to just tax its rich cities to subsidize life in the periphery. And so, in fact, this is what Britain does. It could stand to do it better but it is not the same kind or type of problem.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Im watching the Iron Lady on amazon prime, Its like the best Black Mirror where Margret Thatcher is trapped in hell being tortured.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I can't believe in a fight between Jose and Ronya I've ended up rooting for Ronya, 2020 really is the end of the world.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Our upstairs neighbors are having a birthday party in the garden and have invited a couple of groups of their friends over. As someone who has had to miss seeing my family on my 30th birthday recently, it was a little bit upsetting to see. I am pretty sure they spent most of the lockdown in France with their family and only returned last weekend.

Oh well, sorry for venting, it has been a hard week.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Went cycling last weekend and there were way too many wankers walking around in the area of Hampstead Heath and Regent's park, no masks or distancing or any of that, whole families just enjoying the sun etc. This was before cumgate and all that too. And it hasn't got any better since, probs just got worse

Gonna be hundreds of thousands dead in the UK. And at this rate, this will literally never end either until somebody develops a vaccine

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

A 'Chinese infrastructure solution' to the problem of... say, the North of England would be to depopulate most of it and herd people to one of the cities, let's say Manchester, and since New Greater Manchester would have a population of a tier two Chinese city, it could justify greater investment in its infrastructure. There you go, an infrastructure boom. But this would be hard to justify.
I think twisto suggested that some time back.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

love to jump from a cliff into the sea during a pandemic so I end up having to be air anbulanced to a hospital

https://twitter.com/FellowMarkW/status/1266791063550930946?s=20

honestly what the gently caress is wrong with people

Skilbs posted:

Our upstairs neighbors are having a birthday party in the garden and have invited a couple of groups of their friends over. As someone who has had to miss seeing my family on my 30th birthday recently, it was a little bit upsetting to see. I am pretty sure they spent most of the lockdown in France with their family and only returned last weekend.

Oh well, sorry for venting, it has been a hard week.

:hi5: lockdown birthday buddy

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This is such a surreal image until you realise that all those people are crammed together to rubberneck at air ambulance recoveries of cliff jumpers. Then it's just depressing

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

I think twisto suggested that some time back.

Manchester really is actually growing whilst smaller English towns decline, so it's kinda true. Albeit very slowly true.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

XMNN posted:

love to jump from a cliff into the sea during a pandemic so I end up having to be air anbulanced to a hospital

:hi5: lockdown birthday buddy

what the gently caress

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm just having to switch my mind off to all the lockdown stuff. My next door neighbours were having a little soirée earlier, and collectively I think there were about 16 people there.

It makes me so angry, but also guilty for being some curtain twitching snoop.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm just having to switch my mind off to all the lockdown stuff. My next door neighbours were having a little soirée earlier, and collectively I think there were about 16 people there.

Well you don't have to report them but you are completely right to say to them that they shouldn't be doing that. gently caress the government it's a real health risk.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

XMNN posted:

Well that sound is going to stay with me for a while

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

XMNN posted:

and definitely where it says it is due to the gammon flotilla of cruise ships currently at anchor off Weymouth because they can't dock anywhere else

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Lulworth, indeed :newlol:

I'll bet somewhere a similar crowd was enjoying some belated cheese rolling

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Who can solve this conundrum

:iiam:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Perfect Element posted:

yeah I went out to mow the back lawn earlier and over the fence the neighbours were having a kids pool party, garden full of people. I noped and shut the door, I'm going to do it at 8am tomorrow and if they complain I will let them know why.

Also jumping off that arch at the beach? It's approx 200ft to the sea, I looked it up to compare for reference and the Tyne Bridge is 85ish feet road-to-river.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1266806274123075584?s=19

Should be 20 points ahead though

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It is crazy they still poll above 40%. Brexit really broke people's brains.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
just remembered I saw someone jump off the tyne bridge last summer (probably) trying to kill themselves, and that was scarily high so this is absolutely crazy

also by "saw someone jump", I mean "looked up, saw someone on the bridge, and then decided I really didn't want to see what happened next and carried on walking* and when I turned back a bit later he wasn't there anymore", I don't think I'd be carrying on having my normal day at the beach while watching people loving around like that on cliffs in real life (although I did watch that video, I suppose...) and not calling the police/coastguard and getting out of there when they turn up

especially as lots of those people will have had kids with them

* I would have called 999 but it was in the middle of the day and there were loads of emergency services around already because the market on the quayside was open. The fire brigade were actually doing demonstrations of rescuing mannequins from the water a few minutes before it happened, which is incredibly fortunate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

genuinely what authoritarian stuff do they have that we don't aside from the uyghur camps but its not like the UK government doesn't have its own camps? for that they get a proper response to a pandemic, functional and good public transport and a not completely hosed housing situation despite the insane population

I had a feeling this was lurking under the surface of your previous post!

I'm going to give a low effort response and direct you to:
Amnesty International
human rights watch
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China