Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I hate this stupid terms and conditions message box on the new TLP character select. Really looking forward to agreeing everytime i want to switch characters.

Some lawyer somewhere must be so proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
By posting in this thread you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set out by this thread’s moderators. (Terms can be found at https://www.somethingawful.com/tlp2020)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

Is Grisvok making another round

I saw Astral and Dadcop had a post in the guild recruitment forum a couple weeks back. I don’t remember the guild name and whether it was Aradune or Rizlona.

I can’t see them going another run without Grisvok, especially since I think Selos is officially KIA now.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
thinking of duoing a troll shm and dwf rog i would probably get like 6 on the rog and take the boat to fp and duo in nro on aradune i know melee are going to suck for awhile having played on p99 but the shm should alieviate that alittle. im planning to eventually in like 2 yrs switch to a zerker.

i havent played on a tlp server or even live since before the russians took over. can someone explain some of the newer mechanics to me. how do those npcs who send items to your alts work and how do the melee augs in vanilla work? are there any other melee changes like maybe you have endurance and some early melee books from later expacs?

and would it be better to just go shm war instead of shm rog i wanted to be rog because i want to dps but if i can pretend my war is a zerk for a bit i can tank alittle.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rogues have it rough early on in classic. They’re way behind enchanter, wizards, monks in dps races. Dwarf monk is the way to go though, because the Inny belt(?) in hate is dwarf race only.

It’s a good combo, but you’ll need a tank to do much of anything. War/shm is powerful.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

koreban posted:

I saw Astral and Dadcop had a post in the guild recruitment forum a couple weeks back. I don’t remember the guild name and whether it was Aradune or Rizlona.

I can’t see them going another run without Grisvok, especially since I think Selos is officially KIA now.

Grisvok is going to Rizlona I think, Isekai Adeventures or something.

Selo still fun, just very top heavy. HoT raiding sucked, looking forward to VoA.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Just made a Dark Elf Magician on Aradune named Frostypox. Couldn't decide which class I wanted to play so I just used a random number generator lol

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

snergle posted:

can someone explain some of the newer mechanics to me. how do those npcs who send items to your alts work and how do the melee augs in vanilla work? are there any other melee changes like maybe you have endurance and some early melee books from later expacs?

The mail system is done through 'parcel' merchants. You can send/receive items and money. The parcel vendors appear in cities and select non-city locations. You can bind characters at the non-city spots.

Melee augments are sold at cities. I think most tanks run 2 stun augments. They're lore but the previous rank is still good if you dual wield.

Melee books are in Freeport. You can invis to vendor if needed.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm super tired and I'll play more tonight but it's wild to see so many people in Neriak and Nektulos Forest

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I’m insane and I’m decided to pick up the new TLP after a 15 year hiatus. That is all.

Edit: made a dark elf enchanter named Satedogg. This is definitely nostalgic ... not sure how we ever did this without a map.

rally fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 29, 2020

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

My girlfriend and I ended up doing ogre shaman/SK combo, mostly because I thought warrior would be too boring. We made it to level 4, got some patchwork and killed some lizards. She likes killing lizards.

All the newbie armor quests that get introduced later are unavailable, but the quest items drop and sell for silver, so we ended the night with about 12 plat in the bank.

I'm a little sad because the lizard tails that are used for raw hide armor quest no longer drop though. So we've got to do the lovely lizardman scout camps for mystic dolls if we want rawhide.

How much money does it take to make sets of banded? Should I go that route or just save 100ish platinum to get us two sets?

flowbee abortion
Feb 13, 2004

made a bard named Dirged on Aradune, do we have a guild?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I noticed that there is a hugely disproportionate number of enchanters right now. Think I’m gonna roll a necro and see how that goes. I’m also interested in the guild status.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

flowbee abortion posted:

made a bard named Dirged on Aradune, do we have a guild?

I don’t think there’s been an actual goon guild anywhere for years. There’s pockets of goons in a few guilds spread around though.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Arae posted:

The mail system is done through 'parcel' merchants. You can send/receive items and money. The parcel vendors appear in cities and select non-city locations. You can bind characters at the non-city spots.

Melee augments are sold at cities. I think most tanks run 2 stun augments. They're lore but the previous rank is still good if you dual wield.

Melee books are in Freeport. You can invis to vendor if needed.

do i pick the item up at a parcel merchant or is it right into my bags?

flowbee abortion
Feb 13, 2004

snergle posted:

do i pick the item up at a parcel merchant or is it right into my bags?

parcel merchant

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

flowbee abortion posted:

parcel merchant

thanks, i was thinking i could maybe use an alt to send my shm spells to my shm, i guess if i hang around the neriak areas i still can but i thinking when i get invis going to faydwer alittle, not nessisarily the xp path of cb unrest mm but i could kill at chess board or at the druid portal for a bit. i guess i could send them to the rog though so that should be fine.

as for needing a tank for awhile the shm can tank and i can just backstab low hp low ac stuff though if its like p99, i did a shm rog duo with my brother and sol a was a god send. pull 1-2 gobbos dot them up and he stabs them down.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 29, 2020

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm only level 3 on the Magician and like level 4 on the SK on the other server but I'm digging this more than I thought I would. Thought I'd be really bored until I hit higher levels.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
On Aradune as Deebeedoo, level 4 magician. Never played EQ before so learning as I go. I think I'm in Toxx-something woods. If anyone wants to group.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
how do the new TLP servers compare to P1999 and TAKP and such in terms of population?

and am I reading this right? Aradune is true box... but still allows two boxing?
"Boxing any more than 2 characters will result in the following actions taken against your account. First Offence: A written warning from the GM. Second Offence: A 7 day suspension of account privileges on all Aradune related accounts. Third Offence: Permanent ban on all Aradune associated accounts. "

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cmdrk posted:

how do the new TLP servers compare to P1999 and TAKP and such in terms of population?

and am I reading this right? Aradune is true box... but still allows two boxing?
"Boxing any more than 2 characters will result in the following actions taken against your account. First Offence: A written warning from the GM. Second Offence: A 7 day suspension of account privileges on all Aradune related accounts. Third Offence: Permanent ban on all Aradune associated accounts. "

They will be absolutely chock full of people. Like 40 instances of all the main leveling zones .

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

RCarr posted:

They will be absolutely chock full of people. Like 40 instances of all the main leveling zones .

oh wow. how quickly do they die down? is everyone gone by Luclin or does it keep going strong through PoP etc..?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

cmdrk posted:

oh wow. how quickly do they die down? is everyone gone by Luclin or does it keep going strong through PoP etc..?

Pretty much every TLP goes strong till PoP.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cmdrk posted:

They are usually super strong until PoP, and then a new one comes out and everyone migrates.

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002
Playing a troll shaman named Sitten, lvl 10 now, if anyone runs into me and wants to do anything.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

FranktheBank posted:

Selo still fun, just very top heavy. HoT raiding sucked, looking forward to VoA.

I have some bad news for you...

Actually, having taken time away from it, VoA was fine. The Resplendent Temple, Pillars, Cacophony of Power, and Triunity raid events can gently caress right off, but I see what they were trying to do. Just a shame they let Ngreth be in charge of that expansion, the dude should stick to making completely flavorless items and shutting the gently caress up instead of being given any real authority. They need to put someone else on coming up with tradeskill quests than him, since he has Roberta Williams levels of pointless complexity to them and takes constructive criticism like someone is setting him on fire.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man, having to buy Malachite is kind of a bummer when Necros can just farm skeletons for pet reagents.

Ah well, at least Malachite's not very expensive.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Hoohah posted:

I have some bad news for you...

Actually, having taken time away from it, VoA was fine. The Resplendent Temple, Pillars, Cacophony of Power, and Triunity raid events can gently caress right off, but I see what they were trying to do. Just a shame they let Ngreth be in charge of that expansion, the dude should stick to making completely flavorless items and shutting the gently caress up instead of being given any real authority. They need to put someone else on coming up with tradeskill quests than him, since he has Roberta Williams levels of pointless complexity to them and takes constructive criticism like someone is setting him on fire.

What name did you use on Phinigel? Been playing there recently and seen a lot of old names come up.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FrostyPox posted:

Man, having to buy Malachite is kind of a bummer when Necros can just farm skeletons for pet reagents.

Ah well, at least Malachite's not very expensive.

at least you don't need to keep 6 backpacks full of 20stacks of malachite anymore since they stack all the way to the moon now

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Frosty I'll send you a bunch of malachite and some (I don't have much so not a lot) spell money if I ever get to log on. gently caress these queues.

e: sent

suuma fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

evelyn87 posted:

On Aradune as Deebeedoo, level 4 magician. Never played EQ before so learning as I go. I think I'm in Toxx-something woods. If anyone wants to group.

I added you. I'm currently a level 2 pally in the same location named jabro.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

suuma posted:

Frosty I'll send you a bunch of malachite and some (I don't have much so not a lot) spell money if I ever get to log on. gently caress these queues.

e: sent

Awesome, man, I really appreciate it!

EDIT: Holy poo poo I didn't know items could stack that high :stare:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 1, 2020

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So uh someone just handed me an Elemental Binder. I saw it has + to a couple stats, which I figured meant it was a pretty drat good item for classic EQ.

Turns out it comes from a level 45+ zone and is worth a couple thousand plat, according to the internet. :krad:

Definitely hanging on to this thing forever

EDIT: Oh, or hanging on to it until I do my Epic quest, evidently?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2020

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s a good item, but is a trash drop in The Hole and they aren’t worth anything because of how common they just rot and are mage only. Basically everyone leaves a hole exp group with one to give to a newbie mage or destroy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
holy gently caress i just learned you can sow and wolf form indoors now! when did this happen. i quit live during secrets of faydwer and couldnt sow inside then.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Also important to note for newbies: p99 wiki is fantastic for zone guides and maps, but do not trust it for spells, use allalhazam. Also the prices listed on p99wiki should be ignored.

It looks like the dude that usually hosts tlpauctions isn’t doing it anymore.. these new TLPs are ripe for krono farming it sounds like.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

Also important to note for newbies: p99 wiki is fantastic for zone guides and maps, but do not trust it for spells, use allalhazam. Also the prices listed on p99wiki should be ignored.

It looks like the dude that usually hosts tlpauctions isn’t doing it anymore.. these new TLPs are ripe for krono farming it sounds like.

Someone made a discord server for tlp auctions. Pretty slick.

https://discord.gg/kqrkUYd

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm curious about the demographics of players on TLP servers, is it all nostalgic millennials and older or is the game actually still attracting new blood at this point?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm curious about the demographics of players on TLP servers, is it all nostalgic millennials and older or is the game actually still attracting new blood at this point?

Speaking for me personally, I'm a quasi-nostalgiac millennial; I played EQ for a couple months in 9th grade right around the time the first expansion came out, but I never got a character beyond like level 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can’t even imagine trying to play this game as someone who knows nothing about it. I assume 99% of the population is people who played it in their teenage years in 1999.