Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

Have you ever been to the us?

My aunt lives in the us; she says it's quite nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ash Crimson posted:

Well she's wrong.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ash Crimson posted:

Is she white?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Is she white?

No, she's scottish

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That probably gets you a long way in the US, they go weird for british accents.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I go to America all the time (well, used to), and China exactly once for a couple of weeks. Both are terrible. UK, also terrible, I try to avoid there aswell

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I remember the guy at starbucks telling me how they were bringing 'culture' to the town as a fish and chip shop was opening up nearby. He seemed to think we'd be genuinely impressed or interested in that :confused:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That probably gets you a long way in the US, they go weird for british accents.

You can't possibly know how an american would react to a british accent that isn't posh

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ash Crimson posted:

No, she's scottish

So like that translucent fish underbelly colour?

(This is a joke, I'm sure your aunt is lovely and I'm paler than most Scottish people)

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/BalancePowerUK/status/1266837784817532928?s=20

Lmao get hosed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1266833741009293313?s=20

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Tarnop posted:

So like that translucent fish underbelly colour?

(This is a joke, I'm sure your aunt is lovely and I'm paler than most Scottish people)

She burns in the winter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i missed this lol

https://twitter.com/BalancePowerUK/status/1266068870328188935?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

You can't possibly know how an american would react to a british accent that isn't posh

I think they kind of have a different idea of what is and isn't posh over there and most british accents have a sort of novelty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ash Crimson posted:

I can, they think it's great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also there's like a 50% chance they can't tell the difference between Scottish and Irish.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

love to jump from a cliff into the sea during a pandemic so I end up having to be air anbulanced to a hospital

https://twitter.com/FellowMarkW/status/1266791063550930946?s=20

honestly what the gently caress is wrong with people

:hi5: lockdown birthday buddy

I dunno how 3 people managed to get seriously injured. Surely after idiot #1 jumps and starts screaming in pain from the bottom it would have been a clue for #2 and #3.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My friend has a broad Yorkshire accent and was mistaken for German several times in various US states

zhar
May 3, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Also there's like a 50% chance they can't tell the difference between Scottish and Irish.

from the comments ive seen on youtube videos ft scottish comedians, anything past the mildest of accents they can't even recognise as english

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zhar posted:

from the comments ive seen on youtube videos ft scottish comedians, anything past the mildest of accents they can't even recognise as english

That too, which in fairness I sometimes struggle with on this weird island where you go one village over and everyone's speaking loving moon language.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

zhar posted:

These people struggle with edinburgh accents, god help them if they ever hear anyone start talking doric

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1264974701631287298?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, if you can make yourself into a perfect hydrodynamic cone like an Olympic diver you can manage a lot higher with a lot less chance of injury than if you belly flop.

Plus there's some people who are just fortunate, we've all heard about the guys who fell from a plane with no parachute and managed to land in just the right place in just the right way that they just sprained their ankle.

But with water like Gyro said as you get faster and faster there's a practical limit to just how much water your hydrodynamic cone can move out of the way in time, and with those Olympic high divers you can see how good their form is by the fact that you can fit the splash from entry into a teacup. The splash in that video was not that.

Yeah the video didn't load for me at first, if he's *lucky* that dude's got some broken bones, but he pretty much landed arse-first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

I was accused of being Welsh in Las Vegas.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Medics say the dude who jumped may live, but only with his rear end as an internal organ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder that rosie duffield loving sucks

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1204872699316600832?s=20

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was accused of being Welsh in Las Vegas.

When I was in Vegas i was asked where in both Canada and Australia I was from..

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 30, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1264974701631287298?s=19

Lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

zhar posted:

Friend of mine has a cut glass RP British accent and several times has been asked by Egyptians "please speak English" because they're so used to hearing "Egyptian English" (which I lapse into over there - most Egyptians I speak to - shopkeepers, taxi drivers, workmen etc - who do speak English can't understand a regular British accent and as it happens neither can my Italian friend who speaks fluent Arabic and almost no English). (Ed I should point out I do speak Arabic when I can. Most Egyptians assume I'm German and try to speak German with me then we get stuck in conversations with me speaking pidgen Arabic and them speaking pidgen German - quite hard to get out of a morass it's like the brain has an on/off switch for forin speak.)
Also, one of my friends with a string Geordie accent was asked to teach spoken English at her kids' school. She declined. But her kids' friends all speak English with Geordie accents.
*Friend's kids are half Egyptian.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Depending on where in the US you travel to, there's a >50% chance that Cheshire and Lancashire will be interpreted as Irish.

blunt posted:

When I was in Vegas i was where in both Canada and Australia I was from..
I've been asked if I'm from Australia and Yorkshire by people in the UK. :confused:
I'm not sure if that's just Southerners picking up something a bit Northern and going 100 miles too north and Northerners picking up something a bit Southern and going 9,500 miles too south or something else.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah the video didn't load for me at first, if he's *lucky* that dude's got some broken bones, but he pretty much landed arse-first.
Yeah if he's lucky his pelvis and femurs will save the rest of him, if he's unlucky it'll be his spine or something. I've been avoiding high voltages and power tools while this pandemic is ongoing so I'm not sure what possesses multiple people to do that.

I did some back of an envelope maths and figure he hit the water at a speed of just under 75mph and decelerated in the space of a couple of feet of water. David Purley and some NASA guys have survived worse, but they didn't come out of it in a great way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also, one of my friends with a string Geordie accent was asked to teach spoken English at her kids' school. She declined. But her kids' friends all speak English with Geordie accents.

What a fun trick to play on god.

I used to pick up deliveries from washington and one of the guys there was like, the most geordie bloke on the planet, could barely understand a word he said, so I'm definitely in favour of teaching kids that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah if he's lucky his pelvis and femurs will save the rest of him, if he's unlucky it'll be his spine or something. I've been avoiding high voltages and power tools while this pandemic is ongoing so I'm not sure what possesses multiple people to do that.

It's over Boris said so and that Cummies guy was out having a jolly so why not?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"the pandemic is over so I'm gonna go jump off a cliff" is dubious logic even if the premise were true, imo.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Honestly it's a mild case, just a bit of ache, so that OTC stuff might be sufficient. If they refuse a scrip for something and tell me to jog on I'll get some of that.

The OTC stuff should work fine for a mild case, although it's hella expensive for what it is which is a 2% acetic acid solution.

Distilled white vinegar is about 5% acetic acid. You could always dilute it to half-strength with an equal amount of boiled water and drop some in your ear twice a day, tilting your head and allowing it to sit for a minute or two before letting it run out.

If you decide to use a home remedy, make sure you use distilled (clear) rather than malt vinegar, and don't use if you have any reason to suspect you have a ruptured eardum (you'd know, your hearing would be very bad out of that ear).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

"the pandemic is over so I'm gonna go jump off a cliff" is dubious logic even if the premise were true, imo.

Idiots jump off cliffs for thrills all the time tho?

Like, cliff diving is a thing.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing it off Durdle Door though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tombstoning is a time honoured tradition of Darwinism.

It's been popular at Durdle Door for years

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

What a fun trick to play on god.

I used to pick up deliveries from washington and one of the guys there was like, the most geordie bloke on the planet, could barely understand a word he said, so I'm definitely in favour of teaching kids that.

Washington are mackems not geordies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Washington are mackems not geordies

Given that he always said hello with a very enthusiastic wayeayeman I'm pretty sure he was geordie.

He was the only one that sounded like that so I assume he was an expat from like, a colony inside the tyne bridge or something, with his mam being alan shearer and his dad being a puddle of runoff from the newkie brown factory.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I know someone with a strong Lancashire accent that taught young children in inner London, so you had all these Brazilian/Malaysian/Pakistani kids with northern accents running around and baffling people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The next post-apoc zombie movies/shows/games are definitely going to have tattered 'mission accomplished' banners everywhere, with newspaper headlines about how easy the crisis is, and how well our dear leaders are doing. Everyone trying to make it to the fabled safe zone in the ironically named nation of "new Z-Land".

Happy Monday just around the corner. We did it, everyone. Now watch this swan dive off a cliff.