Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up some Poxwalkers!

I am also messing around with a black background for photos!

They look amazing friend. Great job. I love that use of a darker colour palette as opposed to GW's bright, almost comic contrast they achieve. A beautiful effect mind you, just great to see something different executed so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R0ckfish posted:

Once again a great job. You are consistently one of the best painters here, your tyranids were great to see. I don't know if you actually are a good painter, or just know how to take a photo, but I always look forward to your stuff.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

DrDraxium posted:

They look amazing friend. Great job. I love that use of a darker colour palette as opposed to GW's bright, almost comic contrast they achieve. A beautiful effect mind you, just great to see something different executed so well.

Thank you! Part of it is I was aiming for a scheme I could do quickly since it is big ole blob of them, besides the metal and highlights they are almost entirely contrast paints!

Werix posted:

Once again a great job. You are consistently one of the best painters here, your tyranids were great to see. I don't know if you actually are a good painter, or just know how to take a photo, but I always look forward to your stuff.

Wow thanks!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

R0ckfish posted:

These are really nice. The models lend themselves well to your painting style. You should do more dirty/grungy stuff.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

whiteshark12 posted:

I've never used Ushabti Bone but probably, it's somehow simultaneously transparent yet quite thick. Having a good base green to paint over is essential, painting straight over black will end in tears. Lovely colour though at the end.

Yeah, I personally have never had trouble with Warpstone Glow, but I’ve always worked up to it from a darker green. Same with Ushbati Bone actually, I always am either starting with Zandri Dust or mixing it with another color.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Somewhat out of chronological order, but I painted up some plague marines that got featured in a Goonhammer HTPE!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really need to buy Know No Fear before they go away. It's the only way to get the 10-man* zombie set (the 6-man* one from First Strike and the EZ Fit box is different).

*: :shrug:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

I really need to buy Know No Fear before they go away. It's the only way to get the 10-man* zombie set (the 6-man* one from First Strike and the EZ Fit box is different).

*: :shrug:

It’s the same as the zombie set from Dark Imperium, which has two of them. Check eBay for people selling Dark Imperium Death Guard.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

R0ckfish posted:

Somewhat out of chronological order, but I painted up some plague marines that got featured in a Goonhammer HTPE!

Your photo setup is producing great results here. What do you use?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Your photo setup is producing great results here. What do you use?

A black acrylic sheet with a tee shirt behind it, the key thing is just to not let light land on the background. I used a couple of books standing next to the lights. This is all stuff learned fromm Booley, so I cannot claim to be the source of knowledge for this stuff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

It’s the same as the zombie set from Dark Imperium, which has two of them. Check eBay for people selling Dark Imperium Death Guard.

Yeah, I just know as soon as the last DI/KNF box goes the eBay price will shoot up 200%.

See also: the full set of DV Chaos Cultists (with Anarchus and Techvar and the two versions of the Heavy).

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, I just know as soon as the last DI/KNF box goes the eBay price will shoot up 200%.

See also: the full set of DV Chaos Cultists (with Anarchus and Techvar and the two versions of the Heavy).

They will probably be back in a SC some time in the next year.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

R0ckfish posted:

They will probably be back in a SC some time in the next year.

It never really crossed my mind but while Nurgle Daemons and the Big Fantasy Dudes Of Nurgle (whatever they're called) have one the DG do not (yet).

Although: are any of the other SCs full of snap-fits?

I'm legit suprised there haven't been Necromunda rules for Plague Zombies, although maybe when the Escher rules come out? (I think the Escher are A Big Deal in Hive Mortis which :ssh: has a 'lil bit of a shambly boi problem :ssh:.)

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

It never really crossed my mind but while Nurgle Daemons and the Big Fantasy Dudes Of Nurgle (whatever they're called) have one the DG do not (yet).

Although: are any of the other SCs full of snap-fits?

I'm legit suprised there haven't been Necromunda rules for Plague Zombies, although maybe when the Escher rules come out? (I think the Escher are A Big Deal in Hive Mortis which :ssh: has a 'lil bit of a shambly boi problem :ssh:.)

Dark Imperium is perfectly designed to be split in half, so it will just be like the shadowspear halfs.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can Reaper's Bones Black stuff be safely primed with a rattlecan or is it really finicky like their regular Bones stuff?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

warpstone glow has atrocious layering and the only way I found to do it well was with an airbrush. Your skills may be fine, it's just a finnicky paint.

e: i'd add those pictures look fine, some edge highlighting and recess shading will make the irregularities less noticable.
Thank you. I’ve heard this about Warpstone Glow. I’ve made some progress regardless.

Per the previous commenter I wasn’t able to take a video but I took some photos of my paint mix and the brush load as I went on.

I think the consistency is probably fine, any thicker and it seems to suffer for it.

I finished my basecoats and the washes. The Nuln Oil went a little awry and I’ve tried to tidy up with Warpstone Glow again, but frankly I’m at the limit of my patience on this one guy. Edge highlighting experimentation next.

My friend also kindly directed me to a spray paint which happens to be an almost exact match and took 45 seconds against the 20+ hours, so this entire episode could have been avoided.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Do y’all use zenithal highlighting when you’re going to use contrast paints?

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
XPost from HH thread:

Major Spag posted:

Completed May models.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Sometimes! Some of the paints work well with it (I found Blood Angels Red for example worked well enough, Black Templar works absolutely fine), some I had mixed results (I like the effect I get with Snakebite Leather, but its a fairly severe contrast between light and shadow, Fyreslayer flesh didnt work well for faces, but made a pretty bitching effect for leathery wings). Some of them are more or less okay-ish, as long as you accept that the shadow will be "very slightly filtered black", and even that took a couple of coats (Magos Purple). Apocathary White works well, but with the caveat that I've only used it after a zenithal highlight for white hair and I think a labcoat, so that was parts of the model that got the white from the zenithal anyway, I very much doubt its strong enough to go over a majority black part of the model. Sometimes I give the bits which are going to be highlights a quick touch up with a drybrush of white before putting on the contrast paint if I think the zenithal highlight hasnt quite caught all the raised details I wanted.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Meeple posted:

Thanks for the advice all, there's some really useful videos in there and much better colour palettes. I will report back with version 2 when I get some more painting time (and this time I won't use the GW stock photo for a lighting reference).

As promised, version 3 WIP shots (don't ask about version 2)

Those videos helped a lot, thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

R0ckfish posted:

These are awesome. I'm in the planning stages of a Nurgle warband I've dubbed 'The Avulsed' and have been wondering how to make a purple scheme. This came at the perfect time!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Some of them are more or less okay-ish, as long as you accept that the shadow will be "very slightly filtered black", and even that took a couple of coats (Magos Purple).
👏you👏don’t👏have👏to👏prime👏with👏black👏

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

jesus WEP posted:

Well what do you prime with? :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jihad Joe posted:

Well what do you prime with? :colbert:

I prime with whatever base color I'm gonna have which means I get to spend way too much money on GW-brand rattlecans!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Airbrush and prime with whatever the hell you want! I do zenithal white over black as a default, and usually airbrush the base coat on.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
20 Tzaangors/Kararic Alcylotes done :toot:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can Reaper's Bones Black stuff be safely primed with a rattlecan or is it really finicky like their regular Bones stuff?

Most likely the same as regular Bones. They have the same disclaimer on their webstore. I believe the plastic is fairly similar, just with less plasticizer, leading to a more rigid mini with some more detail.

There are of course some rattlecan primers that work (largely ones that are designed for minis in the first place). Army Painter primers are generally fine, and I've personally used the Games Workshop Wraithbone primer to no ill effect. The downside is that these primers generally cost more without being necessary for non-Bones minis.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

JackMann posted:

Most likely the same as regular Bones. They have the same disclaimer on their webstore. I believe the plastic is fairly similar, just with less plasticizer, leading to a more rigid mini with some more detail.

There are of course some rattlecan primers that work (largely ones that are designed for minis in the first place). Army Painter primers are generally fine, and I've personally used the Games Workshop Wraithbone primer to no ill effect. The downside is that these primers generally cost more without being necessary for non-Bones minis.

I will say, under no circumstances should anyone ever use the Army Painter white primer rattlecan. It’s absolute poo poo. Their greys (fang grey, The blue-tinged one, I think is the main one I’ve used) Are super good, the black is pretty good, but the white is a loving bitty, chalky mess.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Booyah- posted:

Airbrush and prime with whatever the hell you want! I do zenithal white over black as a default, and usually airbrush the base coat on.

This ends up being the vast majority of my mans.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

This adds a horizontal gradient to contrast's surface gradient, and I cannot recommend it enough.

It's also a great idea to do a black or brown pin wash to diffuse the zenithal "blur" where recesses loose distinction because they're facing the top color.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I will say, under no circumstances should anyone ever use the Army Painter white primer rattlecan. It’s absolute poo poo. Their greys (fang grey, The blue-tinged one, I think is the main one I’ve used) Are super good, the black is pretty good, but the white is a loving bitty, chalky mess.

Good to know. I mostly use the Army Painter primers when I'm going for a specific color I have trouble finding elsewhere.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i do absolutely suggest that Army Painter Wolf Grey (i checked my can!) though, that stuff covers fantastically and looks great

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah, AP colored primers can be hit or miss. The Pure Red has worked excellent for me but the white is complete trash

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the citadel stuff might cost (way) more but at least you know it's always going to be clean and tidy unless you're messing up the spraying

I've had no trouble with the couple AP ones other than the white, and it seems like it's universal to that one spray to be trash

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The AP metal primer goes on super glossy and I had a lot of trouble getting paint to stick to it

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It works just fine. Shake it really well, then shake it some more. I've had no issues with it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

For the record, I do know that, but the question was specifically about using contrast paints over zenithal highlights, which is most often black and white by default. Doesnt have to be, I've got some guys waiting to be painted who are undercoated in a brown with a zenithal highlight of light tan because they are sandstorm monsters and I thought that could work better, but I havent painted them yet and am not planning on using contrasts when I do, so I can only talk to what experience I have. If you have used the contrasts over a zenithal highlight that wasnt black, please do expand, my answer is by no means complete! I just tend to try stuff to see if it works/if it works for me specifically. Magos Purple over black and white zenithal highlights does work, but it takes a lot of coats and the "shadow" you get in the parts the zenithal didnt touch are very near black. If I was going to do it over... I dunno, I like the effect I ended up with, but the process was kind of annoying (although it would be less annoying to do it again as I now know it will work in the end). A gray instead of a black would probably have been easier to see the purple through, but the zenithal effect would be vastly diminished. I dont have a purple spray paint and I wouldnt buy a can for a single mini, so thats pretty much out. Probably would have stuck with black/white but then done a basecoat in a non-contrast purple over the skin before using the magos purple as afilter, but then learning that was pretty much the point of the exercise.

It was these guys for the record, the big lad ("Mature Nephilim") ended up being Magos Purple, but I hadnt decided what skin colour he was going to have when I primed them (I tend to prime a bunch of models at once so I have them sitting ready to go, particularly in the winter when spray painting weather is hard to come by, so a dry day sees me undercoating everything I can lay hands on). The little guys in the last photo are magos purple contrast over a lilac base coat, but I wanted the mature nephilim to look darker than the young nephilim so didnt do that with him.

SiKboy posted:

Painted some more Malifaux, am broadly pleased with how they turned out. Used a bunch of contrast paints to get a feel how they work over a zenithal undercoat.

Sonnia Criid. I'm pleased with how the cigarette looks, especially as I nearly cut it off when I thought it was a bit of flash.. The coat was GW contrasts with a few extra highlights. I could have cleaned up some of the splotches/pooling of the red a little, but I like the effect. Tried a blue contrast over silver for the flame on the blade, and it looks much brighter than the photo shows.

Mature Nephilim. Turns out if you want Magos Purple to show over any kind of dark undercoat at all you have to do a few coats. Kind of wish I'd gone for a cream coloured robe for a bit more contrast, but it is what it is.

Lelu. After the zenithal highlight I gave the face and torso a light drybrush of white (because his pecs have one hell of an overhang, and I was worried the red wouldnt show on the black), and then with the contrast over that it felt like it practically painted itself to be honest.

Black Blood Shaman. After lelu turned out well I did the same thing with the wings, a light white drybrush before a flesh contrast, and I'm pretty pleased with how that turned out. Was missing the blade when I got it, so thats greenstuff (my sculpting skills are non existent but even I can manage a rough blade shape).

Thats me painted all the Nephilim I have at the moment, though I'm not hugely happy with the leader (human sized woman with the sword in this picture). Painted her a while ago and I should have given the purples another pass to make them more vibrant, and her skin isnt great either. Having said that, she was an ebay purchase that was already assembled and I was partway into painting her before I realised that the seller had assembled her wrong (the trailing part of the coat had been attached to the shoulders as a cape, and a chunk of it had been cut off to make it fit), which wasnt ideal, so by the time I got to a stage that was at least passable I was fed up and called it done.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Babby’s first edge highlighting (more or less)

Bit rough due to shakes and inexperience but I quite enjoyed this and I’m happy with how it’s turning out

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like a solid first effort to me, you should be proud.
A bit better controlled than my average highlights even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Given that the camera usually makes microscopic flaws look like fingerpainting I’d say that’s a drat fine job