Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Neuronyx posted:

Okay, what's the loving point of the squidface dark elf? Is this a joke? How are you supposed to... I dunno, do anything? Ever? You don't start strong enough to take the whole starting province and it takes too long to do so, rat corruption is constantly causing rebellions, Teclis's nerd rear end is making sure to harass you, so you're hosed on all sides.

its so sad. a kraken lord dark elf swashbuckler should theoretically be my favorite campaign in the game but it just suuuuuuucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I really hope that's what Warhammer 3 will be. Just a bunch of End Times campaigns as the world goes to poo poo/you make the world go to poo poo.

Gimme an Empire campaign you cannot win.

I'm hoping for a big Empire campaign with a few updates and new things in WH3. I'm not super excited about potentially playing multiple chaos races, but they haven't let me down yet so I am looking forward to more news.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Warhammer 3 is End Times they could make Chaos into the loving Huns from Atilla.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You say that, but the Hun army spawning mechanics are the loving worst and I do not want to see that poo poo ever again. Making cities ruined by Chaos into something terrible and difficult to reclaim would probably be enough, but once their roster gets beefed up I think that will go a long way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CharlesThunder posted:

its so sad. a kraken lord dark elf swashbuckler should theoretically be my favorite campaign in the game but it just suuuuuuucks

I've never tried him, but he might be one of those lords who should just be played in the Vortex campaign and ignored for ME.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Neuronyx posted:

Okay, what's the loving point of the squidface dark elf? Is this a joke? How are you supposed to... I dunno, do anything? Ever? You don't start strong enough to take the whole starting province and it takes too long to do so, rat corruption is constantly causing rebellions, Teclis's nerd rear end is making sure to harass you, so you're hosed on all sides.

You ditch home and pick somewhere else. It's not easy, but it's way better than 50 turns of .5 inches forward in a jungle.

You actually can max out a decent army while on the run too, you won't lose your capital because of said lack of movement for a while (or ever if you care, which I did not)

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

You ditch home and pick somewhere else. It's not easy, but it's way better than 50 turns of .5 inches forward in a jungle.

You actually can max out a decent army while on the run too, you won't lose your capital because of said lack of movement for a while (or ever if you care, which I did not)

JBP posted:

You need to smash Skrolk immediately. Throwing everything at getting rid of him and winning a couple of clutch battles against the odds is pretty much mandatory to get yourself up and running. Then focus entirely on building a jungle slave processing operation and use your ark to attack ports elsewhere.

e: magical boat artillery is also really strong. It's the first thing I upgraded on the boat.

Thanks for the tips!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

dogstile posted:

So, just bought the vampirates.

Am i right in thinking holding land is for nerds and i should just sail around shooting people?

As Noctilus I just sailed around sacking and establishing pirate coves while leveling my fleet and starting province. I was trying to keep my armies small for awhile, but eventually I was at war with the whole donut and that's tough to sustain without more money. Eventually once I hit two lords with decent units that wasn't really enough money for upkeep, but occupying at least high elf provinces would give me such awful starting order that they just rebelled. So I eventually just killed one of the other vampire factions and basically totally replaced them -- they'd already spread a bunch of corruption there so public order and everything was totally fine. I'm not sure if playing the vampire counts highlander style is the way to go, but it's working pretty well for me so far!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Noctilus seems like a really fun "tall" campaign rather than most other lords/factions that want to go as wide as possible.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

Noctilus seems like a really fun "tall" campaign rather than most other lords/factions that want to go as wide as possible.

It is very satisfying not feeling like I need to expand beyond what's required for my fancy stacks-- I've also spent a bunch of time hunting down pirates for their regiments of renown and it's really fun having all these mini missions.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Also, it's cheese, but you can recruit Vampire Coast Lords, immediately disband them and assign them to office. If you pick up the increase to Lord level skill early you can fill those office slots up quick. Their loyalty level is meaningless once they are disbanded as well and can be assigned to any of the offices (level still matters tho).

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 31, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you need a VCoast defensive stack then keep in mind the research tech lords don't have loyalty so it'll never decline over time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
One of them even gets a bonus when defending iirc

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got around to trying Eltharion. He's a HE, so of course his army and economy are very strong. The capture ability is...interesting.

But the Mistwalker units seem very underwhelming. Maybe I'm using them wrong, but none of them seem any better than standard HE troops....and others seem downright worse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mustang posted:

Anyone that's played both an Eltharion and Imrik campaign? Wondering which has a more enjoyable one considering they both start in pretty lovely areas.

Currently playing through multiplayer as Grimgor, the first time I've ever played Greenskins. Surprisingly fun, Grimgors army of black orcs and giant spiders annihilates everything I've come across so far. I also have them all equipped with that immortulz armor that causes them to frighten enemies so they're usually just chasing down and murdering retreating enemies throughout a battle. Cuts through dwarven doomstacks like they're expendable tier 1 troops.

Imrik is far, far more enjoyable. He starts with an insane army, is one of the most busted pure combat lords in game, starts with a fire mage so you get one of the most fun lores right off the bat, and his gimic is playing dragon pokemon. Eltharion by contrast has a relatively boring gimic, Grom got all the love. Get gets some special midtier footmen....even more Seaguardy Seaguard, and then finally one fun special unit in the griffin riders. By himself Eltharion isn't very flashy or all that powerful. He's just a midtier support lord that doesn't' get bowled over in a fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually hate the Fear and Terror mechanic because if I have a melee lord, I want them to kill their opponents, not make them run away and then regroup behind my line because the AI retreated forward or towards my town square. I just hate the way the retreat mechanic works in general in this game, since it's easily the worst implementation of it since Empire Total War. A crush of bodies will not die until all the unit pathfinding is unraveled and then you can only reliably kill fleeing enemies when they're in the open. At least back in Rome and Medieval 2 you could get some Agincourt massacres going.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

How should I be using Raknik from the Ork research tree? All of the spider units short of the giant spider seem kinda bad. The ork you get from the tree isn't spectacular but at least has a role I can work out, but Raknik seems like a normal lord but with a kinda useless trait.

Curious about this too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Honestly I would rather play Alith Anar than Imrik any day of the week. Imrik gets ultra elite units out of the box but his shoe string budget is a chore to deal with and his starting positions suck.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I learned today that Boar Boy Big 'Uns actually loving hurt on the charge. Even my Demigryph knights took a substantial hp chunk loss when the pigs came in.

Most Greenskin armies have between 2 amd 4 of em. Given I am using tabletop caps mod, maybe I should start using halberdiers to protect flanks? Empire Knights aren't particularly well suited to it and Reiksguard are limited by cap.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 31, 2020

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Anybody here watching the official Everchosen tournament? They had the first round yesterday and the deciding final battle was a great Brettonian victory (don't see much of those!).

Total Warhams 2 is very fun to watch competitively; I think I have more fun watching it that I do playing campaign these days.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I would enjoy it more if the camera work wasn't so bad. I get why it is that way, but it's more fun to watch replays with editing and commentary.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Okay who implied Skrolk could be killed off so easily?

By the time you get enough of a stack together to take the main city in the starting province from him, he's got half of a stack himself, the garrison in the city, and another half stack in the city itself. This campaign loving sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hold that sports cameramen are some of the most talented camera operators in the world because they know how to follow the action properly. It's why I find most MLG or other competitive game videocasts pretty lame because they know how to run a camera like a player but not like a spectator.

I think the only game caster I like is Indrid but he usually only does Dawn of War 2 casts and he had difficulty manipulating the camera effectively the few times he tried doing total war replays.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neuronyx posted:

By the time you get enough of a stack together to take the main city in the starting province from him, he's got half of a stack himself, the garrison in the city, and another half stack in the city itself. This campaign loving sucks.

I restarted mine and went him. I think I defeated him when he ambushed me, then I drove for the main city with a ratty army and won. It's hard.

Like I didn't say it was easy, but he has to go. You can't run a slave port and get rich without that province to receive and monetise them.

E: don't forget to make sure you're using ark recruitment to muscle up. I think there are a couple of Corsair units on the ark you can just put in the main army.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 31, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hold that sports cameramen are some of the most talented camera operators in the world because they know how to follow the action properly. It's why I find most MLG or other competitive game videocasts pretty lame because they know how to run a camera like a player but not like a spectator.

I think the only game caster I like is Indrid but he usually only does Dawn of War 2 casts and he had difficulty manipulating the camera effectively the few times he tried doing total war replays.

Counterstrike and Starcraft (esp Counterstrike) have some really, really good observers. People who do it all the time for tons of events and have really deep game knowledge as well as production knowledge. But I feel like this is almost impossible to get for games with smaller competitive scenes which don't support (1) as many pros who would know how to do this to begin with and (2) enough events for them to make a reasonable living at it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd watch people play this game all the time if some boffin was shooting the battle lotr style.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

How should I be using Raknik from the Ork research tree? All of the spider units short of the giant spider seem kinda bad. The ork you get from the tree isn't spectacular but at least has a role I can work out, but Raknik seems like a normal lord but with a kinda useless trait.

His special attributes aren't anything to write home about because they're focused more on melee spiders, but bow spider riders are good as hell. Poison makes them a threat to even armored units and slows potential pursuers, and they'll clown on any unsupported ranged units in melee. They can't handle a lot of faster cavalry or a whole gunline but they will always put in work. They take a lot less micro than you'd expect; unless your opponent has a lot of some obvious counter, you can just put them on skirmish and let the AI play Benny Hill all fight.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Bonus points: bow spider riders count as goblins for the purpose of food buffs meaning you can have: bow spider bomb arrow riders.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cease to Hope posted:

His special attributes aren't anything to write home about because they're focused more on melee spiders, but bow spider riders are good as hell. Poison makes them a threat to even armored units and slows potential pursuers, and they'll clown on any unsupported ranged units in melee. They can't handle a lot of faster cavalry or a whole gunline but they will always put in work. They take a lot less micro than you'd expect; unless your opponent has a lot of some obvious counter, you can just put them on skirmish and let the AI play Benny Hill all fight.

Every time i use the spider riders in the "aim at enemy ranged unit, turn on melee" they always end up losing so much of the unit that its basically a straight trade rather than a win.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I had the Last Defenders down to their last city and converged from two sides with four stacks. The last I had seen, Kroq-Gar and Tehenhauin (Kroq-Gar somehow confederated them and then they were wiped out in Lustria) were both holed up there, but when I rounded the corner I found some no-name losers there instead. Turns out the named characters tried to flee in their loving boats rather than face the wrath of Settra.

Shouldn't have started that war with me. :hb:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 31, 2020

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mustang posted:

Anyone that's played both an Eltharion and Imrik campaign? Wondering which has a more enjoyable one considering they both start in pretty lovely areas.

Currently playing through multiplayer as Grimgor, the first time I've ever played Greenskins. Surprisingly fun, Grimgors army of black orcs and giant spiders annihilates everything I've come across so far. I also have them all equipped with that immortulz armor that causes them to frighten enemies so they're usually just chasing down and murdering retreating enemies throughout a battle. Cuts through dwarven doomstacks like they're expendable tier 1 troops.

imrik has a more interesting (if tough as nails) ME, Eltharion has a fun, short little vortex.

Neuronyx posted:

So thirty units of Skaven? Go beat them up.

You're playing a standard faction with no limits, so just make a second lord and use them as bait for your main army to ambush. That ought to get one.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So my biggest male role model and father figure built an upper middle-class lifestyle for his family through sports video, and it's insane how people who think they can do it on their own come crawling back to him to shoot their games. This man has literally hundreds of thousands of hours of footage he's shot since the late 80's, and being exposed to someone who casually gets requests for footage is a big part of why it sticks out so badly. You either have that eye, or you don't. I don't, but I can tell who does.

-edit i'll mention it because it bears mentioning; they're trying their best. The big producers of TWWH2 competitive content are great hosts, and put a ton of effort into it, but as others have mentioned, it's a small community and it's not shocking it hasn't produced a quality cinematographer.

-edit 2: for sports video it seems anyone can get lucky and catch that perfect moment, but the pro's are so much better at predicting and capturing that moment.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 31, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

to be a good sports photographer you have to know where the action is going to be ahead of when its there, and be in the right place to capture it. it takes a lot of experience to get that kind of predictive power.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Neuronyx posted:

You are correct his starting position is very difficult, but he becomes absolutely obscene if you can make it past his tough start. Slave income can already snowball with any of the DE LLs leading to a ridiculous income and he gets +50% on top. Also, every port city gets you a black ark, and once they are developed they are effectively free stacks.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yeah, the competitive battle streams aren't cinematic, they never really get close in to the action, but the tactics on display can be great. A problem with this is if you zoom in to the mammoth crushing peasants you will probably miss an important flank skirmish or something.

The campaign AI is so limited I don't find it interesting to watch, say Legend of Total War game the AI and win a battle with terrible autoresolve odds. Likewise when people talk about their latest campaign, i don't find it that interesting, because it's just the dumb AI doing this and that via cheating economically or whatever. When it"s two top players with excellent micro skills playing against one another it can make for an engrossing match. Or if someone brings off meta picks like three mortar wagons and pulls off a clutch win, it can be very cool.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Zhufbar is the exact same way. Huge map where the attackers pass under a waterfall through a narrowish cave to reach the gates of the city, which then sprawls out into a massive 3 control point urban map with districts and wide streets and natural chokepoints. But there’s also a cave passage that the attacker can deploy vanguard units into that leads into the city past the gates, meaning the attacker will leave all their forces at the front while a bunch of night goblins stealth through the city, capture all 3 control points, and by the time the AI figures out what to do, the dwarfs are too slow to actually reach the control points in time before losing outright. 3 stacks vs 3 stacks capital siege and not a single casualty on either side.

I just had an... amazing? Zhufbar experience. Where it's loving awful to actually play. Mostly because this fuckin' Greenskin stack is brutal as hell and due to the maps layout, nothing is working. Our main star in this absolute shitwaffle of a fight is, Da Big Un normally wouldn't be an issue, as I could just have the Huntsmen feather it until it stopped moving, however, for whatever reason, the Huntsmen have decided that these walls, are walls to high to fire over. leaving the giants and Arachnarok Queen and the two Giants alone to hit however the gently caress they would like. Long story short

I had no chance of actually taking the keep with this army. Also at one point the AI broke its own walls that was loving weird.

EDIT: did it again, using your point that there's an infiltration point, and sending Karl and a bright wizard over to handle the lord and any stragglers.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 31, 2020

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Since we were discussing least favourite races to fight, I was struggling to think of mine.

Until I fought some Dark Elves. I hate Murderous Prowess so much. It's basically "give all Dark Elves Unbreakable and extend an already won battle out two more minutes". Bleh.

Special mention to Wood Elves, who should probably take top spot but you fight them so rarely it alleviates their annoyance.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 31, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I always gravely underestimate Norscan infantry.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A fire sorceress lord following around Lokhir can help a lot too. Burning skull solves a lot of skaven problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Special mention to Wood Elves, who should probably take top spot but you fight them so rarely it alleviates their annoyance.

Wood Elves are a bitch to fight for so many reasons. Their T1 line infantry has relatively nuts AP damage so they punch well above their weight against elite troops, Wild Riders are vicious, and then the obvious chasing down all the skirmishers to the ends of the map