Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

colonelwest posted:

New Roadmap Update! All gameplay items progressed by -20%! :confuoot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

The roadmap is just getting progressively stripped of almost everything. What the hell is going on? What are 500+ people working on? I know it’s :trustme: we’re talking about, but development has practically halted at this point, even by the low low standards of CIG.

:argh:: CIG adds something to the roadmap and ReFUDians claim nothing was added to the roadmap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

Huh... I honestly remember them reacting more to Ben. Funny how easily we form false memories.

The host and audience have reactions to the montage as a whole, although not specifically just for those few seconds where the Lesnicks show up. But yeah, it's easy to get things like that confused in your memory.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

:argh:: CIG adds something to the roadmap and ReFUDians claim nothing was added to the roadmap.

Lol I saw that too. It’s ironic because previous comments discussed how much was taken off, including everything to do with Crusader. Also, even if everything on that roadmap was released tomorrow and worked brilliantly, it would barely move the needle towards making Star Citizen a game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

I re-read the trilogy recently too, in this locked-down world. As long as you view it as something of it's time, and don't compare it to modern sci-fi, it stands up OK. I smiled every time the quaint technology of 'atomics' was mentioned.

It was the first sci-fi I ever read.

Take a trip back to Doc EE Smith and be entertained.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

his nibs posted:

pfff injected with insanity

how is that even possible!

As anyone following this godforsaken thread will attest, we can't go a week without another injection of insanity.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
me: “chris, i have a solution how to appease backers, who are angry about our roadmap capers!“

chris: “the backers are angry? i would not assume that...teh he he...i just had a vision about some new features.“

me: “well, the 'roadmap' and the 'roadmap roundup' were initially introduced to keep them in the loop about what is being worked on and about our progress towards feature completion. they dont like the fact that-“

chris: “yeah that was a brilliant idea teh he he...“

me: “they feel, that either there is little progress or the roadmap does not reflect the progress, because tasks do not appear or are added and removed randomly, which also completely misses the point of-“

chris: “i will ask lando to do a video series. they love our videos right? something like 'the road to roadmap roundup' where he interviews our devs. our fans will love it teh he he...now please pass me the flask over there i need more bubbles in my bathwater!“

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 31, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

These packs are such trash even for a trash game.

* Two versions of the Kraken, the big aircraft-carrier ship. Why would you need this? Nobody will ever want two of this ship. This is them just inflating the price.
* Two versions of the worthless jet bike. Only useful as a baseline to upgrade to something else- you can buy these bikes in-game for the equivalent of a couple missions worth of credits, and they aren't useful except to gently caress around with. The $40 or whatever price tag on these is, again, just package price inflation.
* Three versions of the Cutlass, admittedly the best all-around workhorse ship in the game, but one is an "Ambulance" and another is a "Police" variant, in a game without either of those functions. So you're getting 3 identical copies of this ship with differing paint schemes.
* Herald is the "Data-running" ship that flies slower than any of the capital ships, and also the game doesn't feature data or data running
* Buccaneer is the worthless scum-tier NPC pirate fighter designed to be blown up in a few shots
* Corsair and Vulture don't exist yet
* Caterpillar is the only other good ship in here aside from the Cutlass.

You could get the two good ships out of this pack for 1/10th the price and that would still be $400, 8 times the price of a normal AAA game. Star Citizen is beyond parody.

Great, you tell me this after I've already bought 2 of those packs...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Great, you tell me this after I've already bought 2 of those packs...

It's just reinforcing for me how fake their store and tracker are.

Who is this pack for? What legitimate fan of the game wants 2 copies of all these ships in one pack? The padding of the dollar value of these packs doesn't make sense from a "Catering to actual customers" perspective. So what other reason do they have to jack the price up so much?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

Who is this pack for? What legitimate fan of the game wants 2 copies of all these ships in one pack? The padding of the dollar value of these packs doesn't make sense from a "Catering to actual customers" perspective. So what other reason do they have to jack the price up so much?

You could argue the 2 dragonflies (the jet bikes) are good for "LTI tokens", but 2 Krakens is just crazy...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You could argue the 2 dragonflies (the jet bikes) are good for "LTI tokens", but 2 Krakens is just crazy...

:shepspends: It's donating to making the best drat space sim ever. Like Chris I have a vision too: my son will fly my second Kraken when he grows up, and together we'll support the honorable efforts of Space Fleet. Sure, I don't yet have a son. Or a wife to conceive the child. Or even spoken to :females: except my mum and the cousin who got the unlawful restraining order against me. But it will happen, early days!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the amount of people in the world who can drop $5,000 on a alpha testbed spaceship is so infinitesimally small

I really want an in depth talk with some of the people who are buying this poo poo. like unless you are a serious dumbass millionaire how can you afford a $5k drop on some DLC that might be in the game in 3 to 5 years

who the gently caress are these people, seriously. like I know we have clifford and a few others, but there would have to be hundreds or thousands of them at this point

who the gently caress are these people?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like I get some games get millions a week ( or day, in some cases) in FOMO deals but thats because the prices are usually small, between $4 and $15 dollars and you rake in a ton of loving cash because a lot of people have that kind of disposable income

you also cater to whales that pay hundreds a week for your crazy e-shop poo poo, skins, huge waifu titty pillows or whatever

like man, I get it. I do

but who the gently caress has $5k to drop on a goddamn spaceship. $5k is like, a lot of goddamn money. no joke. $5k gets you a full 24 hours of coke and really, really awesome sex workers and a decent suite in vegas and I would loving know because I was a huge dumb gently caress with a lot of money to burn and a hyper masculine image to sell myself

I wanna know who is like "man $5k ain't poo poo, lemme buy a loving pre-alpha pack of these 2 ships" because I want to know just how loving rich or stupid or both they are

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

TheAgent posted:

the amount of people in the world who can drop $5,000 on a alpha testbed spaceship is so infinitesimally small

I really want an in depth talk with some of the people who are buying this poo poo. like unless you are a serious dumbass millionaire how can you afford a $5k drop on some DLC that might be in the game in 3 to 5 years

who the gently caress are these people, seriously. like I know we have clifford and a few others, but there would have to be hundreds or thousands of them at this point

who the gently caress are these people?

Russian. Oligarchs.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no no no but money laundering would just be like not even possible! this is a grass roots indie game where absolutely none of the top brass would be associated with any kind of mafia from any country or any kind of scheme like Gizmondo to rip off millions from investors

sounds kinda like fud my man

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
btw got a new dump but too loving tired and drunk and depressed and angry to even type that hello poo poo up tonight

I do love the "gotta hand it to covid" leak tho, which basically thanks covid for making him work from home and not have to putter around the office 12~ hours a day doing absolutely nothing lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

btw got a new dump but too loving tired and drunk and depressed and angry to even type that hello poo poo up tonight

I do love the "gotta hand it to covid" leak tho, which basically thanks covid for making him work from home and not have to putter around the office 12~ hours a day doing absolutely nothing lol

type it, I need a distraction from the Cool Zone

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

like I get some games get millions a week ( or day, in some cases) in FOMO deals but thats because the prices are usually small, between $4 and $15 dollars and you rake in a ton of loving cash because a lot of people have that kind of disposable income

you also cater to whales that pay hundreds a week for your crazy e-shop poo poo, skins, huge waifu titty pillows or whatever

like man, I get it. I do

but who the gently caress has $5k to drop on a goddamn spaceship. $5k is like, a lot of goddamn money. no joke. $5k gets you a full 24 hours of coke and really, really awesome sex workers and a decent suite in vegas and I would loving know because I was a huge dumb gently caress with a lot of money to burn and a hyper masculine image to sell myself

I wanna know who is like "man $5k ain't poo poo, lemme buy a loving pre-alpha pack of these 2 ships" because I want to know just how loving rich or stupid or both they are

It has to be a special brand of idiot - one who doesn't only have the horrid judgement to drop 5K on fake spaceships, but the kind of idiot who is also being scammed by a non-game developer with college grad staffed offices attempting to do the impossible for a game with no design, no plan, and a sordid history of this kind of behavior. Then, on top of all that, they want to brag about it, but not to the usual suspects people with money to burn try to impress - no, they're trying to impress other idiots who have also fallen for the scam.

It's like a race to the bottom with these people.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
to drop that kinda money, you gotta be in the 1% or higher of all earners in the world and you have to keep up with PC gaming and also love space sims and Chris Roberts and maybe be some kinda huge moron that sees patch after patch of negative progress and says things like "wing commander was an amazing film" and like near loving 0% of the worlds population matches any part of that

is ben robbing banks or running some kind of illegal drug or exotic animal operation that I'm not aware of

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Toast was a paralegal for CIG who appeared on some of their livestreams and it was obvious it was his first job. Just some super young guy who was breaking into the industry.

ManOfManyAliases was a backer that registered here to valiantly defend the game, for a period of years. Thousands of UM ACTUALLY posts defending the game. One of his favorite routes was to come out with really stupid and childish defenses of CIG's legal fuckups.

Things like
- "Shell Company #7 is named slightly differently than Shell Company #12 which was named in the complaint. Therefore this structural flaw in the argument negates all complaints, contracts and legal liabilities."
- "CIG's TOS being changed to remove the references to delivery timeframes and refunds in 2016 was fine because they never said they wouldn't update their TOS and the new TOS is a TOS so it's a binding document."
- "CIG modifying Cryengine and claiming it was Lumberyard was 100% fine since Lumberyard was a modified Cryengine anyway. So they are essentially the same thing."

Just that really dumb, weasel way of muddying the waters.

It was suspected they were an employee of CIG since it was hard to believe that any backer of the game would have that much invested in countering the narrative of the Something Awful threads. They were the best source of Star Citizen news on the internet with internal leaks and discussion that couldn't be banned by CIG's forum authoritarian bullshit. Some people speculated it was in CIG's best interest to install a third party that was speaking to the worldwide crowd reading our threads, and not the SA posters themselves. Someone to "UM ACTUALLY I SAW A SECRET VERSION OF SQUADRON 42 AND IT IS CLOSE TO Q4 2017 RELEASE" in the middle of the thread whenever there was a leak that Chris Roberts was demanding someone spend weeks designing a single jacket and blowing 50,000,000$+ on motion capturing janitors and bartenders.

Toast was the easiest comparison to make between the obvious shill and a real person inside the company, since an idiot fresh out of law school would be the one trying to Matlock CIG out of legally having to provide a product or return the money they received in exchange for that product in such stupid ways.

I guess they still post but they were probably always just a backer who spent $10,000+ on spaceships and really needed to hear the things they were saying in defense of their buyer's remorse.

They also had the same Kickstarter belt.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
toast is no longer a paralegal, he's an actual lawyer now btw

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

is ben robbing banks or running some kind of illegal drug or exotic animal operation that I'm not aware of
Give it up man, dog won't hunt. Trying to build a pattern when there's clearly something outside influencing or straight fraud being committed is just meaningless.

Star Citizen is a garbage fire with a handful of shills and diehards in a few places on the internet. It's not popular. Most gamers haven't heard of it and those that have don't care. It can't justify its existence or its gross. Whatever.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

TheAgent posted:

toast is no longer a paralegal, he's an actual lawyer now btw

lmao Star Citizen has taken longer than someone to graduate law school and pass the bar

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Give it up man, dog won't hunt. Trying to build a pattern when there's clearly something outside influencing or straight fraud being committed is just meaningless.

Star Citizen is a garbage fire with a handful of shills and diehards in a few places on the internet. It's not popular. Most gamers haven't heard of it and those that have don't care. It can't justify its existence or its gross. Whatever.
https://clips.twitch.tv/MistyBombasticLionOneHand

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/HandsomeAntsyMelonKappaWealth

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have now been watching this man try to escape prison for like over an hour. I dunno who is losing patience first, me or him or the loving duct-taped servers

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

TheAgent posted:

like man, I get it. I do

you dont have to be extremely rich, here is how somebody can spend fortune on game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/7jmezv/a_whale_of_a_tale/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

HorseBodyInspector posted:

you dont have to be extremely rich, here is how somebody can spend fortune on game:

:eyepop: :psypop:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sweet Jesus, that's legit disturbing

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: My calendar must be broken. It's November already?

:laffo: :homebrew: :shepspends:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Toast update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk1cjZ4ll0

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Torquemada posted:

The penalty for developing games in the Stimpire is one of the most sickening. Developers are injected with eternators and placed in a room filled with a neutral substance that becomes more and more acidic over time so that eventually they are dissolved into acidic slime. This slime is then used in chemical warfare against the families of those developers foolish enough to subvert the laws of this sickening Stimpire.

Heartbreaking if true.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
If this project does not deliver by December 2041, I will be very upset.

If I am alive.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

HorseBodyInspector posted:

Sobering story, thanks for sharing.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

:reddit: My calendar must be broken. It's November already?

:laffo: :homebrew: :shepspends:

If everything around SC wasnt so crazy so to make this actually possible, I would think CIG is recycling it´s own cash, investor´s money or a loan to go for the loving last hurrah! and maximize the positive outlook for an all or nothing within the next 12 months or so.

At the very least it is news worthy and I am surprised no outlet has yet tried to reach out.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 31, 2020

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Bumble He posted:

me: “chris, i have a solution how to appease backers, who are angry about our roadmap capers!“

chris: “the backers are angry? i would not assume that...teh he he...i just had a vision about some new features.“

me: “well, the 'roadmap' and the 'roadmap roundup' were initially introduced to keep them in the loop about what is being worked on and about our progress towards feature completion. they dont like the fact that-“

chris: “yeah that was a brilliant idea teh he he...“

me: “they feel, that either there is little progress or the roadmap does not reflect the progress, because tasks do not appear or are added and removed randomly, which also completely misses the point of-“

chris: “i will ask lando to do a video series. they love our videos right? something like 'the road to roadmap roundup' where he interviews our devs. our fans will love it teh he he...now please pass me the flask over there i need more bubbles in my bathwater!“

This reminds me of a video someone posted that was done in sort of a podcast format where someone was interviewing a person doing a really good Chris Roberts impression talking about how "cinematic" Squadron 42 was going to be in the vaguest possible way, how much Chris Roberts hated his hometown, and denying rumors that Erin Roberts is the real father of his kids.

Does anyone know what I'm taking about? Even better, does anyone have a link to that video?

e: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3iavF3qz1g

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 31, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

His videos are so so good.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Isn't there a Moma quote that someone could quote the poo poo out of?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

One of the lesser known facts I like about Asimov is that he openly admitted he didn't invent the Three Laws of Robotics - according to Asimov, it was his editor John W. Campbell Jr. of Astounding Science Fiction who came up with them (along with the notion of Hari Seldon's psychohistory - presumably with a pipe clenched between his teeth and a "Press" ticket stuck in his hat band while he was dictating to Miss Blomberg).

I had not heard about that. Thanks for teaching me something new :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Just imagine someone is paying you exorbitant amounts of money to spin your wheels and they will only ever stop giving you this money if you ever finish what youre doing.

I wonder what would happen.

I hear world renowned genius Chris Roberts is running a big psychology experiment called Star Citizen to study this question in real time. You may have heard of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

If everything around SC wasnt so crazy so to make this actually possible, I would think CIG is recycling it´s own cash, investor´s money or a loan to go for the loving last hurrah! and maximize the positive outlook for an all or nothing within the next 12 months or so.

At the very least it is news worthy and I am surprised no outlet has yet tried to reach out.

Unless a fanboy posts it to one of the gaming news sites I doubt any will give it a mention. Maybe that fanboy who's now at Twinfinite?

The media prefer the big milestones, and $300m on funding tracker is rapidly approaching :fap: